• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
  • I would really like to, I would, but then I would have to let anyone on who only had gen 5 stuff on the list. I can offer you a place with all your completed games in the Ultimate Challenges section, so it's at least shown somewhere that you did all that. But otherwise I would have to do some thinking for an alternative.
    That would be fine, as I am hoping to get a Gen 6 game maybe at the end of the year depending on Christmas discount potential. It will be a change in mindset with a cart, but I am looking forward to it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    The Monotype Challenge

(Yes, I am playing Blaze Black on the old phat Original DS)
    My Pokemon line up before entering the elite 4 for blaze black. Victory road caused me to get rushed back to the Pokemon center several times with teams like, Abomasnow (starting pokemon that makes it hail) L67, Pelipper L67, Jynx L67, Starmie L67, Lunatone L67 then all their team is boosted for ice moves and all using either blizzard or boost moves. It was a rather brutal crawl through victory road. I'm worried with what the e4 has to offer. I'll update how the e4 goes soon.
    OK, I'm going to try to make a table so people know what the E4 in Blaze Black looks like (for those who haven't played it, I put it in a Spoiler so you can choose to look)
    Elite Four Caitlin: (Double Battle)
    Spoiler:
    Defeated.... I used Tentacruel as cannon fodder and Gengar powered them down one by one. Messy but effective.

Elite Four Shauntal: (Double Battle)
    Spoiler:
    Defeated... This one forced me to use Max Revives to stay in the fight. VIP was Gengar (when the focus was not on Gengar) I had 4 max revives and now i have 1.

Elite Four Marshal: (Double Battle)
    Spoiler:
    Defeated.... He went down pretty easilly.... Tentacruel used surf and Poison Wave a lot and i had crobat fly to avoid getting damaged by friendly fire.

Elite Four Grimsley: (Double Battle)
    Spoiler:
    Defeated.... I had no problem with this guy :) between My substitute, will-o-wisp or poison, and leech seed i trolled this guy.

PKMN Trainer N: (Single Battle)
    Spoiler:
    Defeated. - no items used but it basically was a back and forth. I 1 shot his pokemon he'd 1 shot mine and i hit first.
    The Monotype Challenge

Ghetsis: (Single Battle)
    Spoiler:
    Defeated. He was so easy it was laughable. Venomoth just sleep powdered and bug buzzed 4 out of his 6, Gyarados finally took out Venomoth and it didn't take much effort getting rid of his final 2
    The Monotype Challenge

Now that Blaze Black is Complete I'm craving another challenging Hack so I've picked up Flawless Platinum: This Hack has 2 Difficulties and I'm going to pick the Challenge mode (since the other is just an all Gen4 pokemon in game MOD version with added featuers) I'll get started on this one ASAP and depending on how long i take i might end up doing a hardmode Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire version instead of ORAS [not sure]

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • OP updated through Post #684

Completed the Fairy type on Y. It was very rewarding to say the least. My final team was Whimsicott, Granbull, Togekiss, Florges, Mawile and Azumarill. In the end they were within the 65-70 mark. I wasn't going to evolve floette, but it kept fainting so evolved her into Florges for some good old bulk.
    Well, this always seems to happen with the people who don't update, doesn't it. I'm sorry but Whimsicott is not a valid Pokemon for that Challenge. It isn't catchable until post game of Pokemon X and Y. The rules are very specific about the fact that only version exclusives that are in the regional dex can be traded in. Cottonee is not in the Kalos Dex, sorry, but I can't count this. This is exactly the kind of thing I like to catch in updates.

I always feel so bad making these posts, but I set the rules for a reason. Traded in Pokemon give a mild advantage to the player, whether it's the exp boost or the fact that you're accessing a Pokemon the game wasn't built with.

Last edited:
    Years
  • EM's Grass Type Challenge
    Haven't posted in a whileeee but I am still working on this challenge.
    - Currently 6/8 Badges. Beating Ramos was awful. My team was much slower than his Acrobatics Jumpluff that kept sweeping me. This lead to a ton of grinding.
    - Just cleared Frost Cavern
    - Caught Snover on Rt. 17
    - Headed to buy some stones to evolve my pokemon now. Probably going to catch phantump on the way.

Current Team:
    The Monotype Challenge

Chesnaught (nn: Barca)
    Lv. 47
    Power-Up Punch, Seed Bomb, Rollout, Bite
    The Monotype Challenge

Exeggutor (nn: Miami)
    Lv. 42
    Bullet Seed, Confusion, Wood Hammer, Sleep Powder
    The Monotype Challenge

Gloom (nn: Shroomz)
    Lv. 48
    Giga Drain, Sleep Powder, Acid, Moonlight
    The Monotype Challenge

Jumpluff (nn: Piper)
    Lv. 43
    Acrobatics, Fairy Wind, Leech Seed, Mega Drain
    The Monotype Challenge

Lombre (nn: Robertolo)
    Lv. 37
    Grass Knot, Surf, Uproar, Zen Headbutt
    The Monotype Challenge

Snover ( nn: Vanilla)
    Lv. 38
    Mist, Ice Shard, Ingrain, Wood Hammer

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Psychic Monotype - Emerald

Finished a ridiculously long monotype today. Long as in, how long the challenge has been active. Anyhoo, the really nasty hiccups of running through the early game with a Ralts is way in the past and the whole chapter's closed. Don't try this monotype (on a gen 3 cart, anyway) unless you wanna torture yourself, trust me. Busted through the Elite Four by using Double Team and Calm Mind pretty much the entire way through because my team's levels weren't encouraging. To me, anyway.

Final team:
    Bashful Gardevoir Lv. 53
    Psychic | Shock Wave | Double Team | Calm Mind

Bashful Claydol Lv. 50
    Earthquake | Psybeam | AncientPower | SelfDestruct

Naughty Solrock Lv. 54
    Overheat | Return | Confusion | Rock Slide

Bashful Xatu Lv. 51
    Aerial Ace | Steel Wing| Psychic | Shadow Ball

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    OK:
    First i'd like to say hey, Thanks for all the hard work keeping your OP updated.
    Just wanted to share that it shows Pokemon X not beat but this post has it done. I'll admit the lack of screen shots and it not having an obvious title is definitely my fault. I'll try to provide clearer posts in the future.
    :)
    Thanks Again!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Update for Flawless Platinum:
    I chose the starter Chimchar which will not be used for anything except getting my first pokemon of whom i've not figured out where is yet.... I've chosen Flawless Platinum's Challenge patch (because it looks way more fun) and am excited to update how the first gym goes and the pokemon lineup i'll have by the first gym. I will point out because i've already done a little digging with the selection of Flawless Platinum vs the other Platinum Hacks that It is a better blend of Difficulty increase version of Platinum (in my opinion, biased because I only read the documentations of several of them and didn't actually play a lot of them.... but alas i don't have time to fully review the several game options etc.)
    Might have another update soon today --- might have one by tomorrow. Mayhap both

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    Update #1: Normal - X
    It took me a while to get to the second gym with this one. I did manage to find me a full team already and yes I'm using Bibarel (though I might swap it out for a Wigglytuff later). Some of the natures are really not beneficial, but I couldn't (and I never do it anyway) be bothered with catching them again for better natures.

Screens:
    Again no screens except for the Hall of Fame.

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge

Oswald the Timid Diggersby (M) @ Lv.25
    Ability: Cheek Pouch
    Double Kick, Agility, Double Slap, Mud Shot
    The Monotype Challenge

Eager the Quiet Bibarel (M) @ Lv.25
    Ability: Simple
    Hyper Fang, Water Gun, Headbutt, Rollout
    The Monotype Challenge

Rawr the Quirky Litleo (M) @ Lv.25
    Ability: Rivalry
    Take Down, Headbutt, Fire Fang, Noble Roar
    The Monotype Challenge

Cranston the Quiet Doduo (M) @ Lv.25
    Ability: Early Bird
    Peck, Pursuit, Uproar, Fury Attack
    The Monotype Challenge

Wellington the Rash Furfrou (M) @ Lv.25
    Ability: Fur Coat
    Tackle, Headbutt, Sand Attack, Bite
    The Monotype Challenge

Rango the Careful Helioptile (M) @ Lv.25
    Ability: Sand Veil
    Quick Attack, Parabolic Charge, Charge, Mud-Slap

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Go on then!

Forum User Name: Hoenn
    Pokémon Type: Grass
    Challenge Type: Single (atm)
    Game(s): Crystal
    Previous Progress: No

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Ultimate Ghost Monotype X Update:
    -defeated Serena on Route 14
    -Golett evolved into Golurk
    -defeated Valerie
    -caught a Rotom and a Litwick in the Lost Hotel
    -Litwick evolved into Lampent
    -defeated Serena in Anistar City
    -defeated Olympia

Spoiler:

Also, you forgot to change my Dragon monotype champion status from single to ultimate.

AxeBeard McBeardAxe

Jarl of the PokeCommunity
    Years
  • My body. It's ready.

Forum User Name: AxeBeard McBeardAxe
    Pokémon Type: Water
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Game(s): FireRed, SoulSilver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White 2, X,

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I would like to drop out of the ultimate challenge, as I just can't see myself doing this for the rest of the games, and still dont have a 3DS like I'd like to at this point. If I could, I'd like to maintain credit for the Randomized FireRed Water Run I did and the regular Crystal Water run that I did.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Pokemon Emerald Monotype Challenge: Water -FINAL UPDATE

So I defeated my second monotype challenge the water type in the last 3 days and can't really remember what exact details so I'm just going to post the proof of my completion.

The Monotype Challenge

My Team:
    Spoiler:

Now I'll start my Pokemon Black: Ice Monotype Challenge and try to post updates this time around.

Relica

Worst Player Ever
    Years
  • Hey guys, Relica here, I just decided to post an update that I had lying around. I finished Platinum mono fighting a while ago, but, somehow lost the screenshot. I redid it, so here's my team for the final battle. I think I might go ahead and do Y next since that might just be the most obnoxious one to do aside from Heart Gold. Good luck monotypers!

https://i.imgur.com/rh1Z5z3.png
    Spoiler:

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Yo Necrum! I'm signing up to something i can actually do, since i don't have a 3DS\ 2DS yet sadly, but the Y mono will be on kind-of hold till i get it!

Forum User Name: Blastin'TyruntZ
    Pokémon Type: Water
    Challenge Type: Single
    Game(s): Storm Silver

And the first update included, 'cuz why not?
    -Name is gonna be what Prof.Oak picks for me! And it's...Terell. Could be worse i guess.
    -Starter is of course the Totodile, Schnappi (That Crocodile is the ****, man)

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Hello friends, I'm back.

A few of you might remember me from years ago here. I see a few friendly faces (looking at you, jd and necrum)

Anywho, I'm back, and notice some pretty neat changes. I think I'm going to start doing challenges again, and what better challenge to start with than THE challenge? I've done most of these (I think I've done all the types through the 4th gen, and some in gen 5?) but I'm going to start fresh. Can you sign me up for all the types in gens 1-3? Do I need to make more than one sign up, or is this good enough?

Forum User Name: myrrhman
    Pokémon Type: Rock, Water, Electric, Grass, Poison, Psychic, Fire, Ground, Flying, Bug, Normal, Ghost, Fighting, Steel, Ice, Dragon, Dark
    Challenge Type: I guess technically single for now. But eventually ultimate.
    Game(s): Blue, Silver, Sapphire (This will be for almost all the types. For Fighting type 1st gen, I'll be using Red version over Blue, as I'd prefer not to hack anything in if I don't have to, and for Bug type 2nd gen, I'll be doing Crystal, as I'm planning on duoing with Ariados and Ledian like I did last time.

Again, let me know if I need to separate things/not sign up for 49 challenges at once or whatever...

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Yo guys!
    Rawr and stuff.
    Update:
    -Recieved Eevee from Cynthia! Derpeon VI away!
    -Named my rival ****bag.
    -Got my pokeballs! NOW The monotype starts fo' realz! CATCH ALL THE FISHES!
    First stop was New-Bark town, where i caught a female Shellder and named her Miley (You knew this was coming guys...)
    Routes 29 and 46 don't have water type mons, thus i just skipped through them.
    In Cherrygrove town i found me awild Mr.Krabs (Krabby)
    Caught Pheezba the Psyduck on route 30.
    Dark cave had a water pond so i ventured in and caught a Wooper named BurgerKing.
    Pheezba died but i battled and caught a Tentacool on route 31 named TTcoolJ
    Got Hulk the Squirtle as a gift in the Pokemon Center in Violet.

Saved.
    Pokemon: 7.
    Boxed: Mr.Krabs (Krabby)
    Deaths: 1

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    Since I had to drop my ultimate monotypes cause of Gen 6, I'm signing up for a single one ^^

Username: Orianna
    Game: Pokémon Crystal
    Type: Fire

Relica

Worst Player Ever
    Years
  • Hello, I had another question if anyone was willing to answer it. It's a question regarding legendary Pokemon in a monotype challenge: how are they generally viewed? I know that the box legendary Pokemon, I.E. Zekrom, are generally frown upon, however, I was curious more about the likes of say the legendary trios in each game. For example, say I am doing a mono fighting type run of Black, is it alright to capture and use the Musketeers? Would it just be better to stick to common Pokemon all together? I was just curious if there was a rule about this since the front page doesn't really have one about it besides not hacking in a legendary Pokemon for runs that can't get a Pokemon of a certain type before the third gym.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    Hello, I had another question if anyone was willing to answer it. It's a question regarding legendary Pokemon in a monotype challenge: how are they generally viewed? I know that the box legendary Pokemon, I.E. Zekrom, are generally frown upon, however, I was curious more about the likes of say the legendary trios in each game. For example, say I am doing a mono fighting type run of Black, is it alright to capture and use the Musketeers? Would it just be better to stick to common Pokemon all together? I was just curious if there was a rule about this since the front page doesn't really have one about it besides not hacking in a legendary Pokemon for runs that can't get a Pokemon of a certain type before the third gym.

On rule 5, it says all Pokemon banned from the Battle Maison is banned from this challenge. Here is the list: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Maison#Banned_Pok.C3.A9mon

So you can use the Musketeers if you wish, and although I don't know Necrum's views on using all three, I assume it would be fine. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back