• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Pokemon grass monotype run part 2: 5 members already? Oh yeah!

While Roxanne's gym for the most part was pretty easy with the type advantage, her really bulky nosepass was quite a challenging foe when tackled at that point in the game. Its pure rock typing meant that it grass moves wouldn't hurt it as much compared to what the geodudes can take.

Brawly's gym is basically something that a player can easily skip if he/she's able to navigate through the dark cave without flash, though it isn't really an option since Flash outside of battle will still be needed for later. So i decided to do some of the Devon goods and letters stuff to get the exp share, get some levels in Stateport's routes, and catch an oddish, and finally just go back to Dewford and smack Brawly and his goons around. Brawly's goons weren't very hard for the most part and provided the party with their EXPs and EV points. Brawly himself however was quite a different story. Again at this point in the game (where no one has reached level 20 yet or if did, the moves don't have that much base power behind them), Brawly still proves to be that early-game hell. His really bulky Makuhita with its famous Bulk-UP + Vital Throw combo pretty much put a hurt on 2 of my members (Doreimo being a victim of a Vital Throw CRIT), but Asuna finished it off with a quick attack.

The Monotype Challenge

Team:
    Asuna, the Mild female Grovyle
    Doreimo, the Quiet male Lombre
    Jippangyi, the Lax male Shroomish
    Dots, the Relaxed Nuzleaf (traded a Raltz to the NPC since seedots are really rare)
    Nozomi, the Lax Oddish (sweet scent field worker)

My team has gotten stronger as of this update. Will be revealed in another update post (posted as soon as Wattson and Flannery are cleared)

BADGES - 2/8, Rival Battle(s) - Brendan: 3, Wally: 1

Movesets of the party will be revealed after another update. The next few things i have to do before Wattson and Flannery will be some grinding and EV training for the rest of the party. I'm so near that beloved Spinda EV hotspot.

Also, maybe, just maybe I'll find the heart to replace some of my members with better versions/natures.

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • -Username: CoffeeDrink
    -Challenge: Monotype
    -Type: POISON
    -Game(s): Pokemon Blue

Just started Blue up again. I don't have a Gameboy handy, so an emulator is going to have to do.

The story so far:

-Named myself RAD and my rival BLAU, you know, for differences.
    -Picked up Bulbasaur first, of course and I'm going to be gunning for a Weedle next.
    -I'm going to try and nab # 109 Koffing ASAP due to it being my favorite.
    -Muk for it's minimizing capabilities
    - And an Arbok for it's Glare.
    -Golbat for flying capabilities.

I think I'm going to decide on the last one on the fly, but so far I think I'm doing fine.

Current team
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tek

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I decided to do an update before Flannery because Wattson for some reason gave me a surprisingly tough/good match. Also I'm pretty close to Flannery anyway so my next update will be me talking about Flannery, events after her, and Norman.

Hoenn Grass monotype Part 3: Wattson and Winstrate Family

Wattson's gym goons aren't so tough, as usual. But Wattson himself was pretty much a toughie. His action-replay Voltorb for the most part was being annoying, with it being able to use moves it shouldn't be having at its level (lvl20 with Roll Out and SELF DESTRUCT), so i had to KO it as soon as possible with Asuna. However, it did left Asuna beign paralyzed after its lucky Spark. His Electrike was smart enough to use howls and quick attacks instead of Shock Wave to fight my paralyzed Asuna. Asuna had to be withdrawn to make way for our Lombre, Doreimo. Doreimo's lack of any effective attacks against Magneton made the whole duel really long and drawn out, and with the Magneton landing a thunder wave to paralyze Doreimo. Wattson was obnoxious enough to use BOTH his healing items for his Magneton. With a little bit of HP left, I decided to not make the whole battle any longer by switching out to our Breloom, Jippangyi and knock that Magneton out with 2 Mach Punches. With a bit of confidence, i decided to let out my HP healed Asuna to face of Wattson's ace, Manetric. The game decided to troll me by not letting Asuna do anything with her paralysis as Manectric, once again being smart, used Howls to buff itself. A really buffed quick attack later KO'd Asuna after i did manage to land a hit with pursuit and absorb. Wounding Manectric with Asuna, Jippangyi came in to finish of Wattson's ace with a Mach Punch to end the battle and earn our team the Thunder badge.

Overall, Wattson's Magneton proved to be his team's MVP as it tanked our team to kingdom come until I decided to switch in our Breloom.

Key events after Wattson's defeat:
    - Encountered a male Roselia at Route 117, adding another strong member for the Grass team. Roselia's addition to the team meant that our team's weakest link, the Seedot had to be boxed for a time being until i decide what would that Seedot's purpose be.
    - Caught a Marill for the purpose of Rock Smash. Of course, it will only serve that purpose.
    - Went to the Winstrate family to get that Macho Brace. An essential item for grinding. For the most part, they were all easy with our Oddish being the checker of our team. But much like our fight with Wattson, fighting the family left most of our team's pokemon paralyzed. Granda Winstrate was able to KO our Roselia and Asuna with its High Jump Kicks! Off course, Breloom had to came in the way to Mach Punch it to kingdom come.

After clearing a bit of trainers and stopping by to Grandma's Rest House, we finally got to where we want to stay for quite a while, Route 113 and its hordes of Spinda's waiting for their SPAtk EVs to be farmed!

Team Standing:
    Asuna, Female Mild Grovle, lvl30 - Leaf Blade, Pursuit, Quick Attack, Absorb
    Jippangyi, Male Lax Breloom, lvl27 - Mach Punch, Mega Drain, Headbutt, Leech Seed
    Doreimo, Male Quiet Lombre, lvl25 - Fake Out, Fury Swipes, Absorb, Nature Power
    Nozomi, Male Lax Gloom, lvl23, - Absorb, Sleep Powder, Poison Powder, Sweet Scent
    Yuri, Male Sassy Roselia, lvl22 - Mega Drain, Growth, Poison Sting, Leech Seed
    Dots, Male Relaxed Nuzleaf, lvl19 - Boxed for a time being. Bide, Harden, Growth, Nature Power

My thoughts for the team:

- Asuna finally achieved BOSS status after attaining leaf blade. It finally has a strong STAB move after all this time. For a time, Asuna was mostly relying on her level advantage rather than actual strength with moves to clear out content, which made me felt hungry for what she (and the whole Treecko Gen III family can do). Leaf Blade finally made me smile.
    - Jippangyi and his Mach Punches have been helping the team out in some dire situations. Raising some from a weak little shroomish was all worth the trouble. I always thought that Breloom was a pretty good pokemon and its showing in my gameplay. STAB Mach Punches are so good.
    - Doreimo will still need some time to reach his full strength. I just realized that his natural learnset is pretty bad but with some good TMs I'm pretty confident that he'll get some awesome mixed coverage pretty soon (Grass and water moves, and a possible Ice Beam)
    - Yuri is love, Yuri is life. Anyway, I'm happy to find this Roselia for our run mainly because I really love using that pokemon.
    - Nozomi the Oddish. Well that Oddishes are pretty damn common in Hoenn for some reason and i decided to have it on the team for the purpose of it being in the same role as my FireRed Oddish in my currently on-hiatus Kanto Grass monotype run.
    - Dots had to be boxed because of it lacking reliability compared to the rest of the party. His moves are just so bad. I'm not even sure what to do with him. I thought that a Seedot would be worth a while. He'll probably be replaced by Lileep (into Cradily) soon when i find that raising the Nuzleaf into a Shiftry may not be as worth it as i thought it would be.

I just realized something, I have to find a way to get those Leaf Stones to get Doreimo, Nozomi, and Dots to reach their full potential.

Lycanroc

under the sun
    Years
  • Forum User Name: Veevee
    Pokémon Type: Water
    Challenge Mode: Ultimate
    Game(s): Sapphire, Crystal, Yellow, Platinum, White 2, X

Starting with Emerald.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hoenn Grass Monotype update 4: EV Training, Team Magma's bat, and Flannery

Route 113 is a blessing for our grass monotype. Those spindas and slugmas that give out SPatk evs when defeated offer much needed EXP and power for our grass team and here's a sample of our Grovyle Asuna reaping the benefits:
    The Monotype Challenge

+9 Spatak at level up is amazing for me (and I know people have gotten way bigger numbers in newer generations) but the Macho brace from the Winstrate family helped a lot for our grass mons to grow stronger. It also helps that the rather early acquired EXP Share from Devon President was also a blessing for SPatk EV training for those who really need it.

Battling Maxie at Mt. Chimney brought us a surpringly tough opponent for our team, and that was his Zubat (which we all know becomes a Crobat much later on). As a Poison/Flying type, this thing has 4x resistance to grass and its Wing Attack can deal tons of damage to most of our team, especially our Breloom being a Grass/Fighting type.

Flannery was quite a strategic match. But what could extremely screw with our plan was ONE Sunny day from any of her mons, like her point Numel. That Numel alone was a big factor in deciding who would win because once that thing uses Sunny Day, its lights out for our team. Luckily, I started out with Asuna who was able to OHKO that Numel with a Leaf Blade, which already gives us a huge advantage, as none of her mons will use Sunny Day. Still, i had to be as pragmatic as possible where i had to draw out every member of my party to let Flannery's thugs overuse Overheat, which all of her mons do tend to use. My strategy was to save our Lombre (Doreimo) as much as possible to face off with Flannery's ace, Torkoal. Before letting our Lombre face off Torkoal, I had my Breloom seed it which was a HUGE factor on my strategy. Of course, He was KO'd by Overheat after seeding. I had to force it to use Overheat with whoever was still fresh in my party as a means of sacrifice to let it pop its White Herb. Later, I made sure that I kept the Lombre alive with whatever consumables i had as it tanked another Overheat. But Torkoal was already seeded and Flannery has already used her hyper potions on her weaker mons so it was a slow and steady race on whose HP dropped first. After enduring a Body Slam paralyze and even more Body Slams, Torkoal was done and out after suffering too much Leech Seed and we finally defeated the 1st real challenge against our Monotype. It was all thanks to Lombre being part water which enabled him to take more fire damage than the rest.

The Monotype Challenge

Aftermath against Flannery. It all came to the wire with Lombre and Torkoal's face off and me having 2 more revives to use for both Asuna the Grovyle, and Jippangyi the Breloom, both who are capable of Reveing KO'ing Torkoal should our Lombre fall.

The Monotype Challenge

Current Team:
    Asuna, F Mild Grovyle - Leaf Blade, Pursuit, Fury Cutter, Quick Attack
    Doreimo, M Quiet Lombre - Fake Out, Nature Power, Absorb, Fury Swipes
    Jippangyi, M Lax Breloom - Mach Punch, Mega Drain, Leech Seed, Headbutt
    Nozomi, M Lax Gloom - Acid, Absorb, Sleep Powder, Poison Powder
    Yuri, M Sassy Roselia - Magical Leaf, Growth, Poison Sting, Leech Seed
    Dots, M Relaxed - Rock Smash, Harden, Growth, Nature Power

Next few things to do:
    - Mirage tower - get the Root Fossil and our Lileep, and replace Dots.
    - More EXP and EV farming. Asuna needs to become Sceptile pretty soon.
    - Raise that Lileep into a Physical Tank since it will be needed against Winona.

Last edited:

TheUnit684

Heedrim
    Years
  • Well I guess I'm gonna do this. Let's go all in!

Forum User Name: TheUnit684
    Pokémon Type: Flying
    Challenge Mode: Ultimate!
    Game(s): Pokemon LeafGreen, Pokemon HeartGold, Pokemon Omega Ruby, Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon White 2, Pokemon Y

Sylvie18

Stray Cat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 1, 2015
    Ultimate Fire monotype challenge
    Leaf Green
    Soul Silver
    Emerald > Omega Ruby 5/8
    Platinum
    Black
    X 2/8

OMG i finally beat Red :D I may have to mention here that i've never been able to defeat him before, and originally entered the battle prepared to lose, as i had saved ontop of the mountain and was too lazy to walk back down, then realised i might actually have a chance with my geniune boat load of hyper potions, full restores and revives. Usually his pikachu spams volt tackle and my own attacks do absolutely nothing, but this time i landed a very lucky crit before my starter (the only one abke to survive a volt tackle albeit with less than 10 hp) was knocked out. So thought id write down my battle since i cant screen shot or nothing :<

The Final battle:
    Pikachu:
    Spoiler:

Blastoise:
    Spoiler:

Lapras:
    Spoiler:

Snorlax:
    Spoiler:

Venasaur:
    Spoiler:

Charizard:
    Spoiler:

I couldn't believe it, after a gruelingly long battle i had finally beaten Red! Soul silver has been completed! Onwards to the credits!
    Final team:
    Presenting my two champions!
    The Monotype Challenge
    Rene the calm lvl 75
    Headbutt - Eruption - Shadow claw - Flamethrower
    Holding a Charcoal
    The Monotype Challenge
    Lily the Quirky lvl 62
    Extrasensory - Flamethrower - Dark pulse - Will-o-wisp (i have grown to love this move)
    Holding a Quick Claw
    And the rest...
    The Monotype Challenge
    Zula lvl 57
    Flare blitz - Stomp - Poison jab - Bounce
    Amulet coin
    The Monotype Challenge
    Reid lvl 55
    Strength - Fire punch - Iron tail - Sunny day
    Muscle band
    The Monotype Challenge
    Blitz lvl 48 a.k.a the useless
    Bite - Quick attack - Fire fang - Shadow ball

Omega ruby updates:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge
    Leo lvl 38
    Double kick - Peck - Blaze kick - Focus Energy
    The Monotype Challenge
    Cathrine lvl 34
    Flamethrower- Strength - Rock Tomb - Body slam
    The Monotype Challenge
    Arno lvl 33
    Clear smog - Ancient power - Flame burst - Incinerate
    The Monotype Challenge
    Nexis lvl 36
    Lava plume - Earth power - Dig - Rock slide
    Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Pokemon X update:
    Spoiler:

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge
    Lance lvl 24
    Rock smash - Thief - Bite - Odor Sleuth
    The Monotype Challenge
    Castiel lvl 24
    Fire fang - Strength - Bite - Protect
    The Monotype Challenge
    Aslan lvl 26
    Noble roar - Fire fang - Ember - Work up
    The Monotype Challenge
    Okiura lvl 27
    Scratch - Psybeam - ember - Lucky chant
    The Monotype Challenge
    Seth lvl 28
    Shadow Claw - Dragon Rage - Fire fang - Smokescreen
    The Monotype Challenge
    Phoenix lvl 29
    Ember - Roost - Razor wind - Peck
    Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Last edited:

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Sorry for the lack of update. I forgot I was having this challenge. T.T

Anyway, I can't remember where I left off, so I'll just start where I am now.

The Monotype Challenge

Yep, trained all my Pokemon to level 25. I'm currently inside Vermillion City Gym. Raticate got Dig. This will easy.

EDIT: Defeated Surge yeah.

The Monotype Challenge

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hoenn Grass Monotype run Part 5: The tougher challenges await

Badges: 5/8
    Money: 107000
    Pokedex: 21 (I captured mons just for my OCD fulfillment. Some will be HM/Field Slaves)

The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

The story so far
    - Got the Root Fossil for its resurrection and soft resetted a couple of times to avoid any nature that hinders its already bad speed. I settled with a female lileep with an Impish Nature (+Def, -Spatk) and is already set to be the team's physical sponge since i need a solid secondary rock type.
    - Boxed Dots. If anyone can give me advise on how does Shiftry work in Gen 3, I would like to know. I have no clue on what to do with it.
    - Asuna has evolved into Sceptile
    - Encountered a wild Treecko at Petalburg Forest (Our Hoenn dexhack enables the Hoenn starters to be encountered in the wild, at respectively rare rates)
    - I could have swept Norman really hard with Jippangyi (Breloom) but i wanted everyone to get the EXP (and the needed EVs) instead. However his Facade spamming Slaking, was more than enough to smack 2 of my members down. Of course it all went to a glorious 1v1 battle against my own Signature Ace, Asuna (As i wanted to somewhat recreate the Anime battle of Grovyle vs Skaling)
    - Surf HM acquired for Doreimo (Lombre) to make good use of. Finally with a STAB move on his kit, he's ready to get things REKT.
    - Picked the Kelpsy Berries which will be needed to reduce the unnecessary ATK Evs of our other Grass mons. I'll plant more of them later.

Things to do:
    - If I know correctly, rematches with pokenav trainers start to occur upon defeating Norman. This will be needed for farming money and exp for our team.
    - Raise Lileep till it gets Ancient Power, the Rock type move it actually learns. This will be needed for Winona later.

We are now on the way to Winona's gym, who in my opinion will be the HARDEST gym we have to deal with. Oh and we are on our way to further keep track of Team Magma and Team Aqua as well.

Team's movesets
    Asuna, Sceptile: Leaf Blade, Quick Attack, Agility, Pursuit
    Jippangyi, Breloom: Mach Punch, Sky Uppercut, Mega Drain, Headbutt
    Doreimo, Lombre: Fake Out, Surf, Absorb, Nature Power
    Yuri, Roselia: Magical Leaf, Growth, Poison Sting, Leech Seed
    Nozomi, Gloom: Acid Spray, Absorb, Sleep Powder, Poison Powder
    Will be given a name, Lileep: Acid Spray, Constrict, Astonish, Ingrain

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2018
    Username: Harmonixer3500
    Pokémon Type: Poison
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Game: Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Blaze Black, Y
    Previous Progress: Yes

While I'm at it final update on the Johto segment of my mono Poison run. Having finally trained my team up enough I challenged Red/Ash and won through tremendous effort of all 6 Pokémon. Final Team: Weezing, Gengar, Venomoth, Qwilfish, Crobat, and Vileplume.

So I will begin posting updates on Alpha Sapphire soon

Years
  • Pokemon Blue Water Monotype Update!
    -Caught a Bellsprout and named it Cut to use as an HM-slave
    -Got to Vermillion City and beat the surrounding trainers.
    -got the bike voucher and boarded the SS Anne.
    -beat all the trainers and Sally with easy.
    -got HM1 and taught it to Cut.
    -Solo'ed the Gym with only Sushi
    -heading off to the dark cave.
    TEAM
    Sushi, Lv29 Gyrados
    Mikey, Lv28 Wartortle
    Cut, Lv13 Bellsprout

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hoenn Grass monotype update 5.5: Little bit of details

TEAM:
    The Monotype Challenge

I wonder why they never thought of giving a Grass type gym leader in Hoenn when Hoenn itself has a lot of nice grass types with secondary types (Oddish line - part Poison, Tropius - part Flying, Nuzleaf to Shiftry - part Dark, Lotad Line - part Water, Lileep - Part Rock)

The story so far:
    - grinding here and there, beating trainers left-right, and grabbing their loot
    - finally gave a name for our Lileep: Inca
    - Got some TMs: Sludgebomb from Dewford, Ice Beam from Abandoned Ship = both are great for some of our mons' final movesets
    - Cleared the Weather Institute. Team Aqua's Carvannas and Poochyenas were great sources of ATK EVs for Jippangyi (Breloom) and Inca (Lileep)
    - 4th Rival battle with Brendan easily won, highlight was Jippangyi knocking out his Combusken with one Shoryuken (Sky Uppercut)
    - Stopped by Fortree City to save up and will proceed to grind more. I'll be catching a Tropius as well to further bolster our ranks.

I'm still pretty scared in facing off Winona but I do have that Ice Beam TM that I'll definitely use for Doreimo.

Years
  • Fire mono completed on Fire Red Omega- This wasn't all that hard at all - but I had to grind a lot here and there :/ It was still fun run though+I got to use some of my favourite fire types <3

Vs Rival/Champion

Final Team:
    The Monotype Challenge

Ikarious|Male|Mild Nature|Magma Armor|Lvl 70
    Recover
    Yawn
    Flamethrower
    Rock Slide
    He was mainly just.. There.. He was rarely used sadly and when he was used he fainted pretty fast :/ But it was still interesting using him considering the fact that I use Magcargo next to never.

The Monotype Challenge

Cameron|Male|Hasty Nature|Magma Armor|Lvl 70
    Take Down
    Rock Slide
    Eruption
    Earthquake
    I've used Camerupt several times before and he or she was always a powerful addition to the team - And as always I loved using him this time around aswell. He was strong and could take hits for days.

The Monotype Challenge

Lucian|Male|Careful Nature|Flash Fire|Lvl 70
    Flamethrower
    Crunch
    Strength
    Faint Attack
    I've always loved Houndoom and this time it was no exception - I loved using him but the lack of good moves was really annoying+ It took him about forever to learn Flamethrower aswell and being stuck with Ember is not fun- Especially not if all the other pokes in the team have more powerful fire moves.

The Monotype Challenge

Rambo|Male|Bashful Nature|Blaze|Lvl 72
    Blaze Kick
    Mega Kick
    Thunderpunch
    Sky Uppercut
    He was cool and powerful team member - He always came through for me when I needed it!

The Monotype Challenge

Bankotsu|Male|Sassy Nature|Blaze|Lvl 71
    Flamethrower
    Fly
    Heat Wave
    Dragon Claw
    His name means Barbaric Skill and I think that it's pretty fitting - He was another powerful member of the team that came through for me whenever I needed it.

The Monotype Challenge

Amaterasu|Male|Naughty Nature|Flash Fire|Lvl 70
    Mega Punch
    Sunny Day
    Flamethrower
    ThunderPunch
    He was my starter and it was first time using him for me :3 I enjoyed using him and he was a cool member of the team for sure :3 Looking forward to using him in the future :3

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Update for my LeafGreen MonoNormal Run.

I just defeated Erika and I am now trying to barge into the casino rocket arc. I'm iffy on the idea of using Eevee. It absolutely has no useable moves outside of Quick Attack and TMs.

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2018
    Short update I started my game of Alpha Sapphire took Mudkip (so that May's starter would be that much easier XD). Went north beat the tar out of May. After I got my Pokéballs I saved then caught a Wurmple and thankfully the first one evolved into a Cascoon so no soft reset, catch a new one, train it up, rinse lather repeat this time. I'll probably update again after Roxanne... That's gonna be a pain but hey at least Cascoon/Dustox will have EXP monopoly for awhile.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hoenn Grass monotype run Part 6: Winona down and out

The story so far:
    - I had to teach Ice Beam to our Lombre, which proved to be quite valueable, especially against Winona's Altaria who greatly suffers from its Ice Weakness (Flying/Dragon type = Ice food). It was of a great cost but then again, seeing that this is a Grass monotype run and there's only one Grass type who can learn ice beam, i had to do it. I can get another Ice Beam through the game corner so yeah.

- Finally caught a lvl26 Mild Tropius at route 119 to greatly bolster our ranks. I decided to box our Gloom for a while since this is after all a HOENN Grass mono run.

Spoiler:

- With Fly, i can finally freely roam areas in Hoenn to plant my EV Reducing Berries to help maximize our team's stats and re-battle trainers till my heart's content.

With Winona finally gone, the last 2 gyms are going to be quite easy for us.

Badges: 6/8

Sylvie18

Stray Cat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 1, 2015
    Woo another game done!
    Fire monotype challenge:
    Leaf green Soul silver Omega Ruby
    Platinum 0/8
    Black 0/8
    X 2/8

Omega Ruby final update:
    Spoiler:

Elite 4 + Steven:
    Spoiler:

Deafeated Champion Steven and completed Omega Ruby
    Final Team:
    The Monotype Challenge
    Leo lvl 59
    Blaze kick - Sky uppercut - Slash - Brave bird
    The Monotype Challenge
    Nexis lvl 56
    Eruption - Earth power - Sunny day - Rock slide
    The Monotype Challenge
    Arno lvl 52
    Recover - Ancient power - Lava plume - Shell smash
    The Monotype Challenge
    Cathrine lvl 54
    Heat wave - Strength - Iron defense - Earthquake

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hoenn Grass monotype run Part 7: Hunting down Team Magma and Aqua, oh and Tate and Liza

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge

The story so far:

I'm still surprised that I have easily beaten Winona, who I have been dreading as my toughest challenge for this game, but our Lombre having Ice Beam was pretty much the real deal. I was planning on skipping her and tackle the Mossdeep and Sootopolis gyms before her (Tackling Winona last is completely possible. The only issue is that you won't have the Fly HM working)

I also forgot to mention the name we have given to our Tropius. I went a little random and just called him Jroooce.

The next few trials in our story was to hunt down Team Magma and Team Aqua for their activities.

Team Magma Hideout - VS Maxie

Maxie at this point in the game has pokemon that are of a higher level than gym leaders before Tate and Liza. So he was going to be a tough contest. Luckily, his three pokemon all have typings that our own Pokemon do actually counter. He also has 2 super potions.

Tropius VS Mightyena
    Spoiler:

Doreimo vs Crobat
    Spoiler:

Jippangyi vs Mightyena:
    Spoiler:

The Monotype Challenge

Ace vs Ace: Asuna vs Camerupt
    Spoiler:

With Team Magma driven out of their hideout, it was time to Hunt down Team Aqua in their own turf.

Team Aqua Hideout:

Team Aqua's hideout and their trainers were excellent sources of combat EVs for our mons, in particular to our Breloom, Jippangyi. (Team Aqua grunts in their hideout use Poochyenas (1ATK EV), Zubats (1SPEED EV), and Carvannas (1ATK EV))

VS Team Aqua Admin Matt.

For stalling duties, Archie wasn't considerate in giving him a decent lineup of pokemon. Instead, Matt was stuck with just a Mightyena and a Golbat, both of which were easily taken down by Jippangyi (Breeloom) and Doreimo (Lombre). He had a much better lineup in Sapphire..

After driving off Team Aqua out of Lilycove city, our next stop is Mossdeep city, where we are about to challenge Tate and Liza!

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I think I spent too long in Viridian Forrest trying to catch a weedle. Unbelievable, I spent like thirty minutes just trying to bump into just one of those little suckers.

Current team
    Spoiler:

Now I can finally be on my merry way.

Edit: Just booted a bug catcher in the pants. Ah, the sweet taste of 60 EN. Forgot how much money you get by winning, that is to say. . .

Oh, and I forgot that in GEN1 Poison type moves are Super Effective against Bug Type Pokemon. Why is that you ask? Well, when you call the exterminator to take care of your pest problem, he isn't spraying sunshine and rainbows on your cockroaches. He's spraying Poison.

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hoenn Grass monotype run part 8: File - Tate and Liza, Epic Finale against Team Magma

The Monotype Challenge

VS Mossdeep gym:
    Having played this game a lot, I was able to do the whole puzzle in one sweet full motion. Also, with almost ALL of the gym members having Offensive Psychic types (having SPATK Evs) with them, Asuna (with her Macho Brace) the Sceptile with her own Dark move Pursuit, simply devoured the whole gym out of EXP and EVs.

VS Tate and Liza
    What can i say? Emerald's Tate and Liza is by far the most fun gym battle in the game (which is quite sad that ORAS didn't keep this version of the gym) and this battle was quite an epic showdown. Perhaps what will always make this the most fun gym battle in any pokemon game is the amount of strategy involved to cleanly defeat this Psychic duo.

The Monotype Challenge

Spoiler:

After being given the Mind Badge and the Calm mind TM (which of course we will not have that much use for), the next stop was none other than the Mossdeep Space Center. It was Team Magma's last stand.

VS Team Magma Grunts
    Spoiler:

The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

VS Tabihta and Maxie - Team Magma's Last Stand.
    After Tate and Liza's awesome double battle, this came in. Team Magma's last stand, and their last stand was an even more epic double battle!

- I set up my team in accordance to what Tabitha and Maxie first send out: A Camerupt and Mightyena respectively.
    - Jippangyi Mach Punches Mightyena, surprisingly NOT knocking him out despite the STAB damage.
    - Tab's Camerupt doesn't play that smart and decided to just use Amnesia.
    - Mightyena used Take Down on Jippangyi. Not really smart. (Maxie's dog usually spammed Swagger if it was in danger)
    - Steven's Metang used Metal Claw to KO that Mightyena. Maxie sent out Crobat
    - I knew i had to do something as soon as possible before Jippangyi gets KO'd by Crobat and his nasty STAB Wing Attack. Sky Uppercut on Tab's Camerupt.
    - Tab's own bat, Golbat was sent out next. Having those 2 bats can already kill our army so i prepared for the worst.
    - Maxie's Crobat used Wing Attack on Jippangyi. Equation was simple: STAB Flying attack + (Grass+Fighting typing) = Instadeath!

The Monotype Challenge

- Now for better or for worse, the two bats rather than focus fire on our Lombre Doreimo, they instead tried focusing down Steven's Metang with Confuse Rays. I wasn't kidding.
    - Maxie's Crobat was quite unlucky for this game, as you can see in the image above.
    - Crobat earlier on experienced being FROZEN in one beam (during the fight in Team Magma HQ). Here, he eats a lucky crit beam.
    - Metang being confused hit himself often.
    - One Surf later, Maxie's Crobat was finally down. That's the last time we have seen that troublemaker.
    - Tab's Golbat was still up, used Wing Attack. Wasn't as effective as Maxie's but it was still strong enough to hurt Doreimo.
    - I had enough of Bats in a single day. Ice Beammed that thing.

Having said goodbye to Maxie's Crobat, I will say this. Moemon Crobat is one of the cutest things ever!

With Doreimo still healthy, it was time for the final phase. Tab's Mightyena and Maxie's ace Camerupt.
    - Was it me or did confuse last a long time for Metang. He kept hitting himself.
    - Doreimo, critically hurt from the bats earlier, was still up to Surf things down, which i did. Despite Camerupt's 4x weakness to water, it still survived with a slither of Health.
    - I insisted on reviving Jippangyi for one good reason: THOSE ATTACK EVS are so important to get!
    - Maxie's Camerupt finally does what it does best: EARTHQUAKES. One Earthquake later, he KO'd BOTH Doreimo and Metang
    - I sent out Jippangyi. Steven, not playing his cards right, sent out Aggron (Rock/Steel type = 4x weak against STAB Earthquake)
    - Jippangyi sky uppercut'd Tabitha's Dog. KO'd
    - Aggron absorbed sunlight because Steven's Aggron has one of the weirdest and most counter productive movesets in Pokemon history (Special moves on a pokemon with barely any SPTAK?). Good thing his ORAS Aggron has a vastly improved moveset.
    - Camerupt used Take Down on Jippangyi. It hit hard, but only took around half. Of course he suffered some recoil damage.
    - and for the epic finish:
    The Monotype Challenge

MIKURU SOLAR BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

One Mikuri beam later, Maxie and Tabitha stand down and announce that their plan to expand the mass was a misguided attempt of causing a calamity, because they are such good terrorists. It was time to hunt down team Aqua and have our final battle against Archie.. BUT FIRST!

More leveling and EV Training!

The Monotype Challenge

After an Eternity of raising her.. it was time for her to finally grow... and..

The Monotype Challenge

CONGRATULATIONS, Inca has finally evolved into a GINJINKA MEGANEKKO, I mean Cradily!

Team: (Name, Gender, Pokemon, Nature, Moves)
    Asuna, F Sceptile, Mild - Leaf Blade, Pursuit, Agility, Quick Attack - lvl48
    Jippangyi, M Breloom, Lax - Mach Punch, Sky Uppercut, Headbutt, Mega Drain - lvl47
    Doreimo. M Lombre, Quiet - Surf, Fake Out, Ice Beam, Absorb - lvl46
    Jroooce, M Tropius, Mild - Stomp, Growth, Fly, Magical Leaf - lvl37
    Yuri, M Roselia, Sassy - Magical Leaf, Poison Sting, Giga Drain, Leech Seed - Lvl38
    Inca, F Cradily, Impish - Astonish, Acid, Confuse Ray, Ingrain - Lvl40

If anyone is still wondering what the hell am I playing, its basically Pokemon Emerald (Hoenn Dex Edition Rom patch by Chronosplit included + Moemon Emerald (latest version) by dodgeflyer and Moegar) = if anyone's interested to play these versions or add them in their own Emerald rom, i'll be happy to tell you the sources through PM.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back