• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
  • Update on Monotype Leafgreen: Normal

Defeated Koga and Sabrina easy enough. LEvel grinding my team right now on the Cinnabar Mansion.

I ditched Eevee since I had a better 'mon at Kanghaskhan.

Sylvie18

Stray Cat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 1, 2015
    Hiya, was wondering if i could do an ultimate flying type challenge alongside my fire type one? I've been itching to do one for a while, heres the sign-up sheet:

Username: Sylvie18
    Pokémon Type: Flying
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Games: Fire red, Soul Silver, Emerald , Platinum, Black, X
    Previous Progress: Nope

Had to grab a rom to replace my broken emerald since my bf is borrowing Omega ruby now i've finished my fire run on it,

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hoenn Grass monotype part 8.5: Some thoughts before taking on Juan, Victory Road, and the final core game challenges
    badges obtained: 7/8, as well as Team Magma and Aqua finally being stopped once and for all. (OR DO THEY!?)

Before i proceed with my game, along with my posting of Screenie heavy (VBA tool based) screenshots of our awesome Hoenn grass adventure, I just want to say a couple of things that I've been wanting to say for the longest time since I started this run and put my Kanto grass run on hiatus. I have a lot to say, but i hope i'm sharing good insights for the rest of the fellow players to know. I'm doing this so you don't have to :) (but i appreciate the concerns)

Sceptile Thoughts:
    Spoiler:

I hate BATS!
    Spoiler:

PS - Crobat's are satan against Grass monotype runs. Those who are doing their own grass monos should watch out for them, especially if your team lacks a decent sub-psychic type (Hoenn's lack of Exeggcutor is a little saddening)

Thoughts about our team
    I guess i haven't really talked about my team. I was too busy hyping up our adventure for the other monorunners to read (and the fact that I'm having more fun playing Emerald (Hoenn) than FireRed (Kanto) in general... so I'll talk about them.

Asuna, the Mild Female Sceptile (Leaf Blade, Pursuit, Agility, Quick Attack)
    Spoiler:

Jippangyi, the Lax Male Breloom (Mach Punch, Sky Uppercut, Headbutt, Mega Drain)
    Spoiler:

Doreimo, the Quiet male Lombre (Surf, Ice Beam, Absorb, Fake Out)
    Spoiler:

Inca, the Impish Female Cradily (Acid, Confuse Ray, Astonish, Ingrain)
    Spoiler:

Jroooce, the Mild Male Tropius (Body Slam, Magical Leaf, Growth, Fly)
    Spoiler:

Yuri, the Sassy Male Roselia (I wanted a chick, not a Trap!) (Magical Leaf, Poison Sting, Leech Seed, Giga Drain)
    Spoiler:

The Boxed Grass mons:
    Dots, the Relaxed Nuzleaf (from in-game Trade)
    Spoiler:

Nozomi, the Lax Gloom
    Spoiler:

Other thoughts:
    -Ever since my university's 3rd Term has started, I've not been making any progress with my FireRed Throwback Kanto run. I just thought in the last minute that Kanto's Elite four, two of their members heavily resist and counter Grass types (Agatha and Lance) and Kanto Rival Kirito's Charizard has been unfun to deal with. Its basically RNG if my Executtor's Quick Claw Explosion would work before that monster spits Flamethrower and sweeps my team. Its basically just some EXP Grinding till at a certain level, my Executtor with Explosion and Quick Claw could knockout Charizard or not.

- Not that I'm |)1ck riding Hoenn and its games, but I'm just having way more fun in Emerald than I was in FireRed (Kanto). I still remember the HELL i put through in my past monotype challenge in that region (Lighting Monotype, which to be honest was won because Zapdos, a non-banned legendary was there to carry everyone to salvation, especailly against the hellspawn Rhydon!).

Last edited:

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    Update #1: Bug - Fire Red
    Defeating Brock was a pain, but I got through it eventually. What comes after is kinda easy, though I really wish I hadn't chosen Bulbasaur, because I can already tell that Gary's Charizard is gonna be hell.

Screens:
    Spoiler:

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge

Bugsy the Quirky Butterfree (M) @ Lv.20
    Ability: Compoundeyes
    Tackle, PoisonPowder, Stun Spore, Confusion
    The Monotype Challenge

Buzz Buzz the Relaxed Beedrill (F) @ Lv.20
    Ability: Swarm
    Poison Sting, Twineedle, Harden, Fury Attack
    The Monotype Challenge

Goomba the Adamant Paras (M) @ Lv.21
    Ability: Effect Spore
    Scratch, Stun Spore, PoisonPowder, Leech Life

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hoenn Grass monotype update part 9: All Badges acquired and POKERUS

The Story so far:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Final showdown with Team Aqua and Archie.
    Spoiler:

Aftermath with Archie
    Spoiler:

BUT FIRST! Training and Sidequests!

What happened:
    While tackling on Wattson's little sidequest...
    The Monotype Challenge

Perhaps it may be a blessing, or a sign of monotype trolling. Asuna has contracted POKERUS from a wild Voltorb in New Mauville! She has infected all of the party with Pokerus as well. Remember what happens when idol groups share too much of their belongings with each other? yeah pokerus...

After fooling around, it was finally time to tackle the last gym. And yes, this being a grass monotype, obviously was the easiest gym after Roxanne.

VS Sootopolis Gym (or the fangirls)
    - Ransacked those ladies of their cash and their dignity as devoted fan girls.

VS Juan
    The Monotype Challenge

Luvdisc:
    Spoiler:

Sealeo:
    Spoiler:

Kingdra:
    Spoiler:

Whiscash:
    Spoiler:

Crawdawnt:
    Spoiler:

With Juan defeated, we have all 8 Hoenn League badges. Victory Road and the Elite Four are upon us!

Once i'm ready, I'll battle the Elite Four and Champion in SET. This will spice up the challenge and the fun we have been experiencing.

Years
  • Pokemon Blue Water Monotype Update!
    -made it to Rock Tunnel and realized I forgot to get Flash
    -backtrack, catching and releasing 5 different pokemon to get my pokedex up to 10.
    -find out that Cut the Bellsprout can't learn Flash the HM
    -caught Voltorb and named it Flash
    -eventualy get through the tunnel and arrived in Lavender Town
    -went to Celedon and got the free Eevee and named it Vee, evolving it with a Water Stone imediately as there are none of the attacks it learns as Eevee that are worth waiting for.
    -currently leveling up Vee before heading to the Game Corner Hideout

Team
    Mikey, Lv34 Wartortle
    Sushi, Lv33 Gyrados
    Vee, Lv26 Vaporeon
    Cut, Lv13 Bellsprout
    --------------------------
    I'd like to add 2 more games to my challenge list
    Forum User Name: Stormerbuzz35
    Pokémon Type:
    Water
    Challenge Mode: Single
    Game(s): Sapphire, Black

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2015
    Forum User Name: Lukesk1
    Pokémon Type: Fire
    Challenge Mode: Ultimate
    Game(s):Blue, Heartgold, Ruby, Platinum, Black 2, Y

I signed up for a Dragon Monotype chalenge on the old thread and a Water monotype earlier but I would like to cancel both of those because I lost the copy of one of my games with a save file on it.

Years
  • Pokemon Black Water Monotype Megaupdate!
    --------------------------
    -Started my adveture with a make Oshawott named Suigetsu and headed to the first gym, catching a Patrat for an HM slave along the way.
    -Got beaten by Cilan 3 times before managing to figure out some kind of strategy. Suigetsu evolved after the battle into a Dewott.
    -Did the side-quest with Fennel and returned the little girls stolen pokemon after chasing Team Plasma into Wellspring Cave.
    -Went through Nacrene, caught a Typole and named it Kero. Taught Suigetsu Rock Smash.
    -Challenged Lenora after training and won pretty easily.
    -Caught Panpour and named it Rocket while retrieving the skull thats obviously a Dragonites.
    -Currently in Castelia City.
    Team
    Suigetsu, M Lv23 Dewott: Rock Smash, Fury Cutter, Razor Shell, Focus Energy
    Kero, F Lv22 Tympole: Mud Shot, Bubblebeam, Aqua Ring, Supersonic
    Rocket, M Lv23 Panpour: Scald, Fury Swipes, Bite, Work Up
    Patrat the HM Slave

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hoenn Grass monotype update 10: Growth and really near the finale:

Here's our team. I decided to post a picture of them, and the probable final lineup I'll be using to face the Elite Four and Champion (Wallace). If anyone's still wondering whats with the sprites? My Pokemon Emerald game is patched with Moemon.
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Moves: As i said, I NEVER lie about my pokemon's movesets. I always tell the truth about the movesets.
    Asuna: Leaf Blade, Pursuit, Agility, Quick Attack
    Doreimo: Surf, Fake Out, Absorb, Ice Beam
    Jippangyi: Mach Punch, Sky Uppercut, Headbutt, Mega Drain
    Inca: Ancient Power, Acid, Confuse Ray, Ingrain
    Jroooce: Magical Leaf, Fly, Synthesis, Hidden Power - Fighting
    Yuri: Magical Leaf, Giga Drain, Leech Seed, Hidden Power - Ice
    Moves in bold indicate which pokemon gets STAB with it, italics are moves that deal a status condition

Actually, I played around with Hidden Power through the wonderful power of soft reset and a friendly Kechleon near Route 120 to see what Hidden Powers did our Pokemon have:
    Asuna - Ground, Jippangyi - Grass , Inca - Fire. Its somewhat sad for me to not have the HP types that I may have wanted for Asuna, Jippangyi, and Inca to get since the types of their HPs do not match well with their Current Stats. But Jroooce and Inca were the two lucky fellows to earn their good Hidden Powers.

Pre-Final Thoughts about the team and their future:

Spoiler:

I decided to keep up with my progress. Anyway, the story so far:
    - Battled' Wally and sent him packing. By the time he tried to challenge us once again, our mons were already too strong for him to handle.
    - got the effort ribbons to all of my favorite mons. The efforts in making sure their stats are alright have paid off.
    - cleared Victory Road thanks to 2 great HM Slaves: A Kechleon i aptly named Serebu (Slave), and a Clamperil with ALL the water based HM moves.
    - Victory Road's Ace Trainers bowed down to Leafa and her (our) army. Asuna, Jippangyi, Doreimo, and Inca really toppled whoever was on the way.
    - Effort Ribbons earned on Asuna, Jippangyi, Doreimo, and Inca. Jroooce and Yuri are to be further trained until they get their effort ribbons.

Although victory road was cleared, training was still needed. But I do not plan to overtrain all of my pokemon to overlevel the Champion Wallace. I plan to battle the Elite 4 and Champion at the appropriate levels to even up the scales, and i plan to battle all 5 on SET.

Now since i'm so near to this region's end point, I decided to finally put this on Hiatus once Jrooce and Yuri reach appropriate levels. I should resume the region that I've dreaded to go back playing, Kanto's FireRed Throwback Grass monotype run!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 21, 2017
    I'm interested in doing a monotype challenge on X using Poison types. I've never really done a challenge on the games before, and I think the one I need is 'single'?
    Can someone please explain the difference between the challenge modes?
    Additionally, I'm hoping to actually *start* with a Poison type ASAP. Is that a thing that I can do without ruining the challenge from the start (I was hoping to get a Gastly off Omega Ruby to start the challege with on X) or will I have to wait until Route 5 for Gulpin?
    (Will edit post accordingly)

Forum User Name: FeralSlaaneshi
    Pokémon Type: Poison
    Challenge Mode: Single
    Game(s): X

Last edited:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    Can someone please explain the difference between the challenge modes?

Single is what you are doing, one game.
    Ultimate is going through each region once, so 6 games for most types
    5 for Steel and Dark (Kanto is not needed)
    2 for Fairy (Only Kalos and Hoenn are needed)

An example of an ultimate is like what I'm doing.
    I'm doing Poison on Red (Kanto), Crystal (Johto), Alpha Sapphire (Hoenn), Platinum (Sinnoh), Black (Unova), and X (Kalos)

Is that a thing that I can do without ruining the challenge from the start (I was hoping to get a Gastly off Omega Ruby to start the challege with on X) or will I have to wait until Route 5 for Gulpin?

Be sure to read the rules carefully.
    You will have to wait until you get Gulpin. Like rule 2 states:
    2. A Pokémon of your type must be obtained before you earn your second badge. If this is impossible in your game, you may hack or trade a single Non-Legendary Pokémon of your type within your region's Pokédex. See below for a list of qualifying challenges. No hacking is permitted otherwise. Any hacked Pokemon must be 100% legal by the Trade Corner definition. Hacking or trading items into your game is never permitted. Before you obtain the first Pokémon of your type, you may only use your starter Pokémon.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 21, 2017
    Single is what you are doing, one game.
    Ultimate is going through each region once, so 6 games for most types
    5 for Steel and Dark (Kanto is not needed)
    2 for Fairy (Only Kalos and Hoenn are needed)

An example of an ultimate is like what I'm doing.
    I'm doing Poison on Red (Kanto), Crystal (Johto), Alpha Sapphire (Hoenn), Platinum (Sinnoh), Black (Unova), and X (Kalos)

Ah, thank you! I figured that was the case but just wanted to make sure. =)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 21, 2017
    Yes I just bumped into one. Was a pleasant surprise. :3

Update #1: Poison team - Pokemon X
    *Started adventure with Chespin.
    *Beat Shauna in first battle vs Froakie.
    *Caught Fletchling on Route 2.
    *Caught Weedle (Nickname: Philokleon) in Santalune Forest
    *Philokleon reaches level 7 after some grinding and evolves into Kakuna

Current team
    The Monotype Challenge

LV. 7 Kakuna (Philokleon)
    Male
    Nature: Docile
    Ability: Shed Skin
    Poison Sting, String Shot, Harden

(Soon to leave in box once I get to Santalune City)
    Lv. 4 Fletchling
    Lv. 12 Chespin

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2018
    Opps I made a goof up in my sign up so here's the corrected sign up

Username:Harmonixer3500
    Pokemon Type: Poison
    Previous Completion: Yes Fire Red and Soul Silver completed
    Games:Fire Red, Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Blaze Black, Y

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 21, 2017
    Update #2: Poison team - Pokemon X
    *Entered Santalune City
    *Deposited Chespin and Fletchling to PC
    *Philokleon reaches level 10 and evolves into Beedrill
    *Defeated Viola at level 12! =D
    *Caught Budew (Nickname: Hemlock) on Route 4
    *Level grind Hemlock a bit to level
    *Entered Lumiose City
    *Beat Professor Sycamore
    *Receive Bulbasaur (Nickname: Monkshood) off Professor Sycamore

Current team:
    The Monotype Challenge

Lv. 15 Beedrill (Philokleon)
    Male
    Nature: Docile
    Ability: Swarm
    Poison Sting, Focus Energy, Harden, Fury Attack

The Monotype Challenge

Lv. 13 Budew (Hemlock)
    Female
    Nature: Bashful
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Mega Drain, Growth, Water Sport, Stun Spore

The Monotype Challenge

Lv. 10 Bulbasaur (Monkshood)
    Female
    Nature: Quiet
    Ability: Overgrow
    Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, Vine Whip

Sylvie18

Stray Cat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 1, 2015
    Challenges:
    Fire monotypye
    Leaf green, Soul silver, Omega ruby, platinum, Black , pokemon X 3/8
    Flying Monotype
    Fire red 1/8, soul silver, Emerald, Platinum, Black, Pokemon X

Fire red Flying update:

Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge

Team:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

>>Brock rematch<<
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2018
    Update on Alpha Sapphire Poison run. Went through the route connecting to Petalburg. Went through Capture tutorial with Wally. Proceeded onto the next route soundly beating most of the trainers. Entered the Petalburg Woods and beat the trainers there. Intercepted the Aqua Grunt and after defeating his Poochyena my Cascoon evolved into Dustox. Proceeded to beat the other trainers on my way to Rustboro. Then took out the trainers at both the Gym and on the Route connecting to the cave East of Rustboro. Around this time my Dustox had hit level 16. I then took on Roxanne and won, although not without Dustox taking a brutal pounding. Got back the Devon parts, saved Peecko, got a ride to Dewford Island. Once there I went to the cave and caught a Zubat. Went to get the Old Rod and caught a Tentacool. Now training my team for taking on Brawly.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • So, I just finished my LeafGreen MonoNormal run. Here's some images.

Spoiler:

Before any of you judge me, yes, I name my rival and player the same.

I had a little trouble with the Lorelei and Bruno but once I got over them, the rest were pretty easy. Although I did grind up a little since Pidgeot and Persian are not really performing as well as I thought they would. Anyway, final team. Levels are in the image above.

Spoiler:

Off to GenII!

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2018
    I decided that I might as well post for the other types even if I don't get to them for a while.

Username:Harmonixer3500
    Pokemon Type: Grass
    Games: Blue, Silver, Ruby, Diamond, Black, Y

Pokemon Type: Bug
    Games: Red, Gold, Sapphire, Pearl, White, X

Pokemon Type: Fighting
    Games: Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Omega Ruby, Platinum, White 2, Y

Pokemon Type: Rock
    Games: Fire Red, Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black, X

Pokemon Type: Ground
    Games: Fire Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, White, Y