• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
  • Updated through Post #1680 sorry it's late by a day, I had a weird day yesterday.
    Since it's been quite a while since I've done one of these, is there any updates or new things I should be aware of?
    I, uh, don't really remember. I don't know when you last were here. Exp Share is allowed now if that wasn't the case when you disappeared, but I err on the side of using it only when you're struggling for levels.

I've been playing my Alpha Sapphire Bug Type run and I just defeated Kyogre with my Mega Heracross, so it's a slippery slope to the end now!

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I, uh, don't really remember. I don't know when you last were here. Exp Share is allowed now if that wasn't the case when you disappeared, but I err on the side of using it only when you're struggling for levels.
    Apparently the last time I posted in here was November 2014 (holy crap). Vaguely recall Exp Share not being allowed then. I get the feeling that's probably the only change since then?

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • Update on my Soul Silver Grass Mono Run

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2021
    Rood the Aggron, Level 24
    Headbutt, Tackle, Harden, Metal Claw

I'm really sorry to be the one to tell you this but Aron, Lairon, and Aggron are steel and rock not ground so that's not legal in your run.

Also my yellow update ahem:
    Kronos had planned out the techniques he intended to teach his mighty warriors long before he gained their loyalty but he made one critical error with Ricky. He forgot that the move deleter isn't in gen 1 so that strength hm he used to give Ricky a decent move til he got his full moveset was there forever which sent Kronos into a blind rage for several days halting progress.
    After Kronos calmed down and slightly changed the planned for Ricky he continued his and Tefnut's training. During this training Tefnut surpasses her limits and attains her final form greatly pleasing Kronos.
    Kronos scouted many places for possible traing locations such as a simple power plant. There he found a majestic bird that he asked to be his new chariot/flashlight. Its response was not favorable to Kronos or his pride. On the plus side after his failure Kronos learned a lot about the gen 1 capture algorithm.
    Kronos then decided to see the strength of the organization that brought the greatness of Jessie and James to Kronos' attention. He found it about equal to his previous training regimen with the addition of more thought required for most battles so he decided to finish the training at Team Rockets' main headquarters.
    He is currently mapping out the building as a possible future torture death trap for his enemies.

Sun Wukong (Primape) lvl 45
    Futsunushi (Hitmonlee) lvl 41
    Tefnut (Poliwrath) lvl 35
    Ricky (Machamp) lvl 35
    Chariot (Farfetch'd) for cut/fly
    PIKACHU for flash

Last edited:

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • ULTIMATE MONOTYPE RUN
    Types Finished: Grass LINK HERE OF ANALYSIS
    Type: Flying
    Games Done: LeafGreen, OmegaRuby
    Current Game: HeartGold

Badges: 6

Events:
    1. Proceeded west of Eukreateak City (however you spell that.)
    2. Cleared the route and the lighthouse.
    3. Decided to catch a Mantine for my team. Also, resident Surfer.
    4. Grinded a little in sea route before battling Chuck.
    5. Had a little difficulty with him but managed to with combination of attacks.
    6. Got the SecretPotion and defeated Eusine.
    7. Returned to Olivine and cured Amphy.
    8. Had a difficulty with Jasmine's Magnemites.
    9. Grinded back and finally defeated her using Hypnosis Noctowl and Metronome Togetic. Plus Surf Mantine lol.
    10. Went east of Ghost-town.
    11. Saved north of Mahogany Town en route to Lake of Rage.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Pics:
    Spoiler:

Current Game: Omega Ruby

Badges: 8 (DONE)

Events:
    1. Cleared Mt. Pyre and went back to Slateport to unlock the Magma Storyline.
    2. Cleared Lilycove Hideout.
    3. Went east to Mossdeep and didn't waste any time.
    4. Defeated Tate and Liza with Bug Buzz Beautifly and Bite Crobat
    5. Released Groudon.
    6. Cleared Cave of Origin.
    7. Defeated Wallace with Curse + Rock Tomb Skarmory.
    8. Cleared Victory Road and defeated Wally. (He was easy.)
    9. Defeated Sidney using Curse Skarmory.
    10. Defeated Phoebe using Acrobatics Crobat.
    11. Defeated Glacia using Steel Wing Skarmory
    12. Defeated Drake using Moonblast Altaria.
    13. Steven was a few Flamethrowers from my Altaria.
    14. Cleared the game! On to Y!

Team:
    Spoiler:

PICS: Sorry for blurry images. I don't have proper image capturing device.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2021
    After systematically clearing out Silph Co. of Team Rocket (and some delusional weirdo with dreams of grandeur) Kronos declares the current training regiment over and proceeds to his next opponent.
    While Kronos did wonder at first if his warriors were actually ready for what he believed to be their hardest challenge yet his champions proved their mettle defeating the entire gym without any rest with Futsunushi defeating Sabrina in single combat despite appearing much weaker due to his fierce use of Battle Meditation TM (plus 6 meditate equals a lvl 42 sweeping 3 50s in a row).
    After a victory lap around the ocean and a slightly cool cave Kronos and company reach Cinnabar Island and proceed to push the gym's **** in.
    After a final encounter with the remorseful ex-leader of Team Rocket, who couldn't throw a badge at Kronos fast enough, Kronos finally sets his sights on the end of his arduous journey; The Pokemon League. Side note the weirdo once again attempted to halt Kronos' progress again with his insane ramblings but as Kronos had places to be, and he didn't really remember the loser's name, he briskly brushed him off.
    Kronos' elite team enters the legendary labyrinth that only the strong can survive; Victory Road.

Sun Wukong (Primape) lvl 46
    Futsunushi (Hitmonlee) lvl 44
    Tefnut (Poliwrath) lvl 46
    RICKY (Machamp) lvl 47
    Chariot (Farfetch'd) Fly/Cut
    PIKACHU Flash

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • I've made a lot of progress on my Soul Silver run over the last couple of days:

- Defeated Morty for the Fog Badge, Chuck for the Storm Badge, Jasmine for the Mineral Badge and Pryce for the Glacier badge. Pryce was surprisingly easy, I was expecting to run into problems with him because of his ice-type Pokémon, but thanks to their water and ground typings, I think that ultimately made it a lot easier.

- Defeated Team Rocket both in Mahogany Town and the Goldenrod Radio Tower.

As I stated in my previous update I've been focusing mainly on my Bayleef, Skiploom and Sunflora. Bayleef evolved into Meganium and Skiploom evolved into Jumpluff. I did change my mind and decide that I'm going to evolve Gloom into Bellossom to evolve my Gloom into Bellossom, so I'll be focusing on him a bit more than I have. Still holding off on training the other two until I can start getting some Leaf Stones, which I know won't be until after I can travel to Kanto... Should be fun grinding to level them up when the time comes... lol

My current team/badges:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Okay so I have been busy recently but now here is an update
    UPDATE POISON MONORUN X
    Spoiler:

TEAM
    Spoiler:

jombii

Years
  • ULTIMATE MONOTYPE RUN
    Types Finished: Grass LINK HERE OF ANALYSIS
    Type: Flying
    Games Done: LeafGreen, OmegaRuby
    Current Game: HeartGold

Badges: 8

Events:
    1. Captured Sh. Gyarados. Boxed Mantine because he sucks.
    2. Cleared the Mahogany Hideout.
    3. Destroyed Pryce with my newly acquired Sh. Gyarados.
    4. Back to Goldenrod and destroyed the Rockets there (although I would like to keep the uniform.)
    5. Back to Mahogany and onto the Ice Path.
    6. Destroyed Claire because she has nothing on my Ice Fang Gyarados.
    7. Got the Extremespeed Dratini.
    8. Grinded south of Blackthorne City, and evolved my Dratini.
    9. Back to Eucreteak because the Kimono girls are feeling special and Ho-oh substory.
    10. Captured Ho-oh in a Masterball because I don't want to be bothered in battling it. Boxed it immediately afterwards.
    11. Went to the Tohjo Falls and proceeded northward onto the Indigo Plateau.
    12. Grinded my team to Level 50 since Lance's Dragonite (that cheater) is at that level.
    13. Saved before entering the Pokemon League.
    14. Will was a little difficult since I absolutely have nothing to use against his Pokemon. But through the power of healing, residual poison-damage from Crobat, and a lot of firepower from my Gyarados, it's over.
    15. Koga was meh. Extrasensory Togetic, Extransensory Noctowl, and Waterfall Gyarados made quick work of him.
    16. I was confident going in on Bruno as he had majority of Fighting-type Pokemon on his roster, but it was late when I realized only Crobat and Noctowl had Flying-type attacks. Machamp killed half of my team with Rock Slide.
    16. Karen was meh. Umbreon was pretty bulky and that was the only thing that kept me long with her battle.
    17. Lance was easy. I chose Gyarados to lead and luckily he started off with his Gyarados. I managed to set up +6 Dragon Dance so I proceeded to OHKO all his Pokemon after his Gyarados.
    18. Done with the first half of HG. Off to Kanto!

Team:
    Spoiler:

Pics:
    Spoiler:

Current Game: Y

Badges: 8 (DONE)

Events:
    1. Started the game with a guy named G.
    2. Nothing much happened in the beginning, except I started with a Froakie so my rival will be forced to get Chespin, and eventually Chesnaught and I can destroy it with my Flying-types.
    3. Captured a Scatterbug and saved in Santalune Forest.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2021
    Question if I use an alternate game for a gen like soulsilver for gen 2 am I restricted to using only gen 2 and down pokemon and moves or can I use whatever is available?

jombii

Years
  • Question if I use an alternate game for a gen like soulsilver for gen 2 am I restricted to using only gen 2 and down pokemon and moves or can I use whatever is available?

I believe there is no rule using Gen IV Pokemon as long as it is available in-game. I'm using a Yanmega on my Flying HeartGold run.

Edited my update post above.

Also, current goal(s) before I move to Kanto:

1. Evolve Togetic and get his moves (Aura Sphere, Extremespeed and Air Slash)
    2. Evolve Dragonair.
    3. Teach Cross Poison to Crobat.

So I will not probably update for a few days until I get a Shiny Stone from the Bug Catching contest because I hear it comes out sometimes at first prizes.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2016
    What tool would you use to hack the starter in HeartGold/SoulSilver? Want to do an Ice challenge but can't find a tool.

jombii

Years
  • What tool would you use to hack the starter in HeartGold/SoulSilver? Want to do an Ice challenge but can't find a tool.

I used the randomizer program (I think it can be found on the randomized nuzlocke challenge thread) to set the starters to some specific pokemon.

Lunarly

(●´ω`●)
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 2, 2019
    Update #11

Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Log:
    Spoiler:

Team:
    Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Updated OP through #1695! Pardon the slight delay, I think you will forgive me the reason:

Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge: Alpha Sapphire
    Challenge Complete

I shot through Wallace pretty easily and went straight to Victory Road without picking up Masquerain from the PC(oops). So then I began the arduous process of throwing Masquerain at the E4 until it caught up with the rest of my team. It then took another dozen attempts before my team was at a level that I could beat Steven. I limited myself at ever start to only bring 10 Hyper Potions, 6 Revives, and 1 Full Restore (plus a handful of Full Heals I had no use for most of the time). I also had 2 Max Revives when I arrived at the Elite 4 and I held on to for emergencies.

Everyone had a part to play in the battles through the Elite 4, but ultimately it was Mega Heracross that brought home victory with a 4-hit Pin Missile against Mega Metagross, proving who's the biggest badass! Anyway here's a bunch of pictures:
    Spoiler:

My Water Silver run is next then I want to do Water in Alpha Sapphire. Lots of cool water types in Hoenn :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Steel Monotype on Y, Update 2

-Made my way through Route 4, largely ignoring/evading the trainers there, as I wanted to not feed Fennekin exp it wasn't gonna need (why do Garderners have Corphish though that makes no sense to me).

-Arrived in Lumiose City, and promptly made my way to Sycamore's lab. Not that anything besides the 2nd floor actually looks like a lab anyway.

-Battled Sycamore. This was more work than I cared for, mainly because of having to deal with Leech Seed damage on top of Squirtle, but managed to pull through. Fennekin as evolved after this battle lol. Also ngl I'm confused as to his reasoning for giving you a Pokemon and a Dex and setting you off on this journey. It's basically "you're some person I've never met before but feel bad you're new here so here ya go". ????? Whatever floats yer boat Augustine.

-Boxed the Kanto starter, then took a look around what little of Lumiose you can explore at this point in the game. First stops were at the PR video studio and the hair salon. Hey fashion is important during yer Pokemon adventures and it's nice to be playing a game with character customization again, though most customization are still unavailable to me at this point).

-Then popped into Cafe Soliel like Calem wanted me to, meeting Diantha and Mr. So Obviously The Villain Team Leader. I sort of found the name "Cafe Soliel" funny at first cuz I was like "lol hey that's a Fire Emblem character's name!"
    Spoiler:

But it's also just French for sun, iirc.

-Exited the city to Route 5, which I also hurried through, since I just really wanted a Steel Pokemon and one was coming up so....

-Entered Camphrier Town. I wanted to get into Route 6 asap but the game was insistent that I visit Shaboneau Castle first, so I reluctantly did.

-After the brief forced visit to Shaboneau with Shauna, I hurried over to Route 6 to finally catch my first Steel type of the challenge: Honedge. Which took longer than I thought. I kid you not when I did not see a single fucking Honedge for like 20-25 minutes straight that night. A saw several Kecleons (which has a 5% appearance rate to Honedge's 15%) before I saw the Honedge. But my noble blade finally was mine. And with my sword, I cut down the trainers that I sneaked by before. Need that exp yo.

-After returning to Route 6, I entered Parfum Palace (what does the game expect you to do if you don't have the $1000 needed to gain entry?). The Amulet Coin in one of the rooms was really nice, let me get lotsa cash since Honedge was my only actual combatant and so every battle till Cyllage gave me good money. Anyway, made my way to the garden in the back after checking out the palace, and caught the owner's Furfrou (praise be Shauna for being useful and helping out with that, makes things so much quicker. Also got the Cut HM (and took a second quick trip back to cut down the few Cut-able trees that exist up till that point).

-Saw the fireworks together with her (and y'know, I don't think I've ever seen fireworks during the day irl), then departed.

-Dealt with the sleeping Snorlax. Steel/Ghost=not a fun time for it, as you'd imagine.

-Went up Route 7, enjoying the riverside view. Lord HM Slave Bidoof evolved into Bibarel somewhere along here. Stopped at the Battle Chateau to get more exp+money. Bow before me ye peasants, for I am a Viscountess. Then defeated Tierno and Trevor in a double battle with Calem. Which is kinda unfair when you think about it, it's two people who're focused on battling vs a dancing crazed kid and one who's more into the PokeDex than battling....oh well.

-Crossed through Zubat Roost, and into the cliffs of Route 8. There was this one scary battle with a Trainer's Axew that had Dragon Rage, a nasty move when you're early game with only one usable Pokemon ;-;

-Arrived in Ambrette, the tiny cliffside town that randomly has the aquarium and the fossil lab (no really, why there of all places?).

-Went over to Glittering Cave via Rhyhorn to do the stuff you need to do there, ie have your first encounter with Team Flair Flare.

-After the shit with Team Flare, I started back down the 2nd part of Route 8, getting the Old Rod and Dowsing Machine along the way.

-Made it to Cyllage City. First order of business in town was to catch a Luvdisc. I was aware that you can trade one of those in Cyllage for a Steelix (rather convenient for this run), and very much needed a second Steel type since the 2nd gym was coming up very soon.

-After acquiring Thumper the Steelix (and a bike), I entered the Cyllage Gym. And it was slightly more annoying than I cared for. This is because I'm doing a Steel mono, and obviously Steel is very good vs Rock, but my party is rather lacking in Steel STAB. Thumper comes with Gyro Ball, but that has the problems of a) it has 5 PP and b) Rock types are generally slow, greatly hindering the damage output of it. But fortunately most of them fell on my blade (Thumper did its best to help), since Swords Dance+Shadow Sneak was enough to muscle through the Trainers. Had to go back to the Pokemon Center to restore PP before facing Grant. Thumper unfortunately missed out on some exp since Gyro Ball did not quite OHKO his Amaura, and it scored a crit, taking it down. This then almost led to a loss since Tyrint wields Strong Jaw boosted Bite, doing a number on Honedge, but Swords Dance Shadow Sneak won the day, and the Cliff Badge.

-As a side note, the rock climbing aspect of the Gym is cool, though I'll tell you that rock climbing is not as easy as your character makes it look (I've had the chance to try it before).

Whew, that's a lot. Let's see how tomorrow goes.

Party:
    1) Yato
    The Monotype Challenge

2) Thumper
    The Monotype Challenge

3) HM Slave
    The Monotype Challenge

Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

jombii

Years
  • Quick quesion/request: Since I needed the shiny stone to evolve my Togetic to Togekiss and the only way to get it in HG is to win the Bug Catching Contest which happens thrice a week and the prize for the first prize being one of many items, can I just champion the contest once and cheat in the Shiny Stone?

I know there are other ways to do this like the Pokeathlon which is a similarly difficult task and given randomly by some guy in Route 14 in Kanto which is too far into the story for my Togetic to be useful and I need to wait till he finds one (god forbid my Leaf Stone needs during my Grass-run) so Bug Catching Contest is the easiest way for me.

It's not like I'm cheating the item right away. I'm just tweaking the reward given by the Bug Catching Contest.

Parfum Palace still lets you in even if you don't have 1000 dollars on you. I think the gatekeeper will just say to keep it hush hush

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2016
    I have a question about trading yourself Pokemon. I really want to start a Rock monotype in X but I can't get a Rock type before Glittering Cave. So am I allowed to transfer a lvl 5 Geodude to my game to actually start with a Rock type? Cause when I do this I want to start with an actual Rock type instead of using the original starters. And Geodude is obtainable later on in the game if that might be a problem.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Quick quesion/request: Since I needed the shiny stone to evolve my Togetic to Togekiss and the only way to get it in HG is to win the Bug Catching Contest which happens thrice a week and the prize for the first prize being one of many items, can I just champion the contest once and cheat in the Shiny Stone?

I know there are other ways to do this like the Pokeathlon which is a similarly difficult task and given randomly by some guy in Route 14 in Kanto which is too far into the story for my Togetic to be useful and I need to wait till he finds one (god forbid my Leaf Stone needs during my Grass-run) so Bug Catching Contest is the easiest way for me.

It's not like I'm cheating the item right away. I'm just tweaking the reward given by the Bug Catching Contest.
    I guess that would be okay. For the record, when I used Togekiss in HeartGold I did it the Pokeathelon method. It's not really as hard as you might think, just kinda time consuming.
    I have a question about trading yourself Pokemon. I really want to start a Rock monotype in X but I can't get a Rock type before Glittering Cave. So am I allowed to transfer a lvl 5 Geodude to my game to actually start with a Rock type? Cause when I do this I want to start with an actual Rock type instead of using the original starters. And Geodude is obtainable later on in the game if that might be a problem.
    No you can't trade in a Geodude because it is available in your game. However, there are a few Rock Types that are only in Y which you could use. Larvitar for example.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back