• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the most important invention is the hair straightener

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So I was at work yesterday, and there's this one classroom where it seems the teacher asks students a broad question and has them write down their answer and then stick it on the bulletin board. Last year it was "What do you think the most important event in history is?". This year is "What do you think the most important invention is?". And when you have enough people doing these you're bound to have a few.....interesting ones.

One person wrote "technology", though technology's not really an invention but rather a broad category of things (and to this person "technology" seemed to mean specifically computers and computer-related things). Another person wrote the (electric) light, with part of the reasoning being "the light gives you light". NO SHIT THE LIGHT GIVES YOU LIGHT. The thread title comes from the best one I saw, and I'm not making this up, that said that the hair straightener is mankind's greatest invention.

But how about the rest of you? What do you think is the single greatest invention in history?

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Calculus might not be the most important, but it's behind a lot of advances...

In recent decades, ignoring computer-related things entirely (the internet is one of the most important inventions in a long times), I'd have to say it goes to the MRI.

The wheel, the printing press and other type systems, pasteurisation, sewers have also been massive for growth in human population, spread of ideas, and improvements in quality and length of life.

The most important invention is probably conceptual, or a technique/material.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2020
    tfw straight hair for life :seduce:

all praise be to the high Willis Carrier, the inventor of the greatest thing known to man
    Air Conditioning

Years
  • Has to be the condom or just contracpetion in general.
    Just think of how many stupid people haven't reproduced thanks to contraception... sadly not enough but it's better than nothing!

Years
  • Agriculture. The ability of a society to settle in one place with reliable food sources means they can then spend less time just trying to survive and more time developing art and technology. Eventually you get classes and groups whose entire time is spent in other areas besides basis subsistence.

But, like, space rockets are really great, too.

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool
    Years
  • Instant noodles. Without them, I would have starved long long ago.
    Spoiler:

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    Has to be the condom or just contracpetion in general.
    Just think of how many stupid people haven't reproduced thanks to contraception... sadly not enough but it's better than nothing!
    excuse me but I happen to be on this earth because of two stupid people reproducing thank you very much

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2018
    I personally cannot live a single day without my GHD Hair Straightener. My hair has a mind of its own :D . It's unruly and sometimes seems to make me go insane. I don't know how people used to live without flat irons/straighteners ... although they charge so much for decent hair straighteners these days.. but i think u pay for quality

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I personally cannot live a single day without my GHD Hair Straightener. My hair has a mind of its own :D . It's unruly and sometimes seems to make me go insane. I don't know how people used to live without flat irons/straighteners ... although they charge so much for decent hair straighteners these days.. but i think u pay for quality
    I admire your dedication to talking about hair through the years on this Pok?mon fansite.

Best ?invention? is glass imo. Try to imagine if humans hadn?t started creating glass so long ago. Yeah.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    The personal computer for me. The stepping stone from the past into the future. All because of that.

But I laughed my ass off at Nah's opening post. Ah the normies. I'm honestly amazed "water" wasn't on their list.

Reactions: Nah
    Back