• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IMPORTANT: The Multiverse is closing

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Man that is a dramatic sounding thread title in retrospect.

Anyway, I'm afraid to say that following the three month trial of this Forum Frontier section, the activity hasn't been there and HQ have decided that the section won't continue.

Threads will be ported to FF&W with a prefix created for new threads you'd like to make on world building (and for the existing threads to adopt).

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    The Multiverse is closing

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Man that is a dramatic sounding thread title in retrospect.

Anyway, I'm afraid to say that following the three month trial of this Forum Frontier section, the activity hasn't been there and HQ have decided that the section won't continue.

Threads will be ported to FF&W with a prefix created for new threads you'd like to make on world building (and for the existing threads to adopt).
    Understandable. Could we try to keep it as a subforum of FF&W rather than as a prefix, though? Worldbuilding threads here are quite different from fics and poetry, but the discussion threads from here can certainly go in Writer's Lounge instead. It would be a subforum for the sake of organization, without pressure on consistent activity. The regulars have been talking in the DCC about this being an attractive option.

Or is the reasoning that FF&W or the worldbuilding threads would gain more activity or visibility or other benefit from being merged?

Last edited:
    Years
    I figured this forum would be unsuccessful. At least the merge into FF&W might see the section get some activity provided how popular worldbuilding is as both this and WoPC showed.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Agreeing w Rika here- I think it would be best perpetuated as a subforum of FFW. The organization makes sense that way. Besides, Worldbuilding is a thing lots of people like but it takes a ton of like, behind the scenes effort that isn't necessarily reflected in activity but certainly is there.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    I'm also very curious how activity was judged towards the Multiverse like is there a stastical requirement such as "1k posts within 3 months". I mean, I personally don't see a drastic difference in activity level with other Create & Discover boards and the Multiverse. Like I wanna see the receipts.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Understandable. Could we try to keep it as a subforum of FF&W rather than as a prefix, though? Worldbuilding threads here are quite different from fics and poetry, but the discussion threads from here can certainly go in Writer's Lounge instead. It would be a subforum for the sake of organization, without pressure on consistent activity. The regulars have been talking in the DCC about this being an attractive option.

Or is the reasoning that FF&W or the worldbuilding threads would gain more activity or visibility or other benefit from being merged?
    Agreeing w Rika here- I think it would be best perpetuated as a subforum of FFW. The organization makes sense that way. Besides, Worldbuilding is a thing lots of people like but it takes a ton of like, behind the scenes effort that isn't necessarily reflected in activity but certainly is there.
    If subforum is preferred, why not into the Writer's Lounge subsection? People are already free to discuss fic ideas, plots, etc in there. Keeps it separate from fics and makes use of the existing discussion section on all things writing, which I personally feel fits with world building. It'd still have a prefix of course.
    I'm also very curious how activity was judged towards the Multiverse like is there a stastical requirement such as "1k posts within 3 months". I mean, I personally don't see a drastic difference in activity level with other Create & Discover boards and the Multiverse. Like I wanna see the receipts.
    No statistical requirement is done by us because each section (forum frontier or otherwise) is different in scope. Generally creative sections like this shouldn't get more than many other sections like say Sun and Moon or PGC, as posts of creative works take time to make and so forth. But it depends on how activity continues throughout the three months, not just in a so-called 'honeymoon' period when the section is new (every FF section gets this effect), and we do compare with similar sections when viable.

Let's talk stats though as you asked! For reference, The Multiverse got ~500 posts last two months (considerably more in November than October, interestingly), and ~25 threads posted in since start of October (not including stickies). A killer stat however is that only 6 non-sticky threads have posts in the last week and that's including the 1st as within that week (so really 8 days from my Australian timezone - but hey, let's just go with '6 threads with posts since start of december'). So for sake of brevity and rounding to nearest 50 with posts:

(Posts in October and November/Threads with posts since October/Threads with posts since December 1 inclusive)

TM: 500/25/6
    A&D (no subsections included): 600/100+/22
    RT (no subsections included): 400/22+/5 [ew month cutoff I can update the second number later]
    FF&W (no subsections included): 300/56/15

So AD is the most active by any standard. TM has more posts in FF&W, but in terms of non-sticky threads is well behind that, and that doesn't include the subsections FF&W has (add another 7 threads from the Writer's Lounge to the 'non-sticky threads with posts since dec 1' stat for instance - that's more than TM in itself!).

It has comparable thread numbers to the Roleplay Theatre and more posts than it too... but that also has two subsections not counted above (and in 2016 overall Roleplay Casting has more than the main section!). Said subsections add another 12 non-sticky threads with posts in the last week. If I took all of RT its posts in October and November becomes ~850, and you can add the thread numbers yourself.

So basically, TM is unfortunately well behind on unique threads getting posts, not including stickies like DCCs, and while it has some more posts than some individual Creative main sections, it's not the only basis we consider FF on. If there's only a few threads currently getting posts three months on, then even if they were getting a lot posts there's no need for a separate section just for that imho.

I haven't bothered to compare Game Development as that section is probably closer to Rom Hacking than the above.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    If we do get moved into writer's lounge can we still keep the Original/Pokemon world prefixes? I think that would be good for organization.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    bobandbill said:
    If subforum is preferred, why not into the Writer's Lounge subsection? People are already free to discuss fic ideas, plots, etc in there. Keeps it separate from fics and makes use of the existing discussion section on all things writing, which I personally feel fits with world building. It'd still have a prefix of course.
    I think it would be very confusing to dump World threads in with Writer's Lounge, as the lounge is designed for like you said, idea and plot discussion. And like, talking ABOUT writing, not the writing itself. We are perfectly happy to use WL for all our discussion topics but it seems to make more sense to me to keep World threads separated, as the intent with MV was always to make a collected resource-ish forum.

TM is unfortunately well behind on unique threads getting posts
    imo that's honestly because MV threads aren't designed to particularly garner other people's stuff in them? they're designed to be a collection of indexed posts centered around one world. while i think it would be nice if people talked more in each thread, the design of them makes it more like something to be perused rather than something to be discussed in.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    If we do get moved into writer's lounge can we still keep the Original/Pokemon world prefixes? I think that would be good for organization.
    I will talk to Bay Alexison about that.
    I think it would be very confusing to dump World threads in with Writer's Lounge, as the lounge is designed for like you said, idea and plot discussion. And like, talking ABOUT writing, not the writing itself. We are perfectly happy to use WL for all our discussion topics but it seems to make more sense to me to keep World threads separated, as the intent with MV was always to make a collected resource-ish forum.
    That's why the use of prefixes to distinguish such threads should help avoid said confusion.

As for 'no the writing itself', why not then world-building threads in the main FF&W section, and discussion sections into Writer's Lounge? Again, 25/6 versus 56/15 for TM and FF&W with a good chuck of that 25 not being world threads but just discussions, so it's not going to flood it or the like, and I don't think the world building threads themselves need their own separate subforum.
    imo that's honestly because MV threads aren't designed to particularly garner other people's stuff in them? they're designed to be a collection of indexed posts centered around one world. while i think it would be nice if people talked more in each thread, the design of them makes it more like something to be perused rather than something to be discussed in.
    Same could be said of fics, no? It's nice when there's people reviewing and ideally there should be more of that always, but FF&W threads are a collection of indexed posts making up a story, with the odd reply from readers in-between and are also something to be perused first and foremost.

Bay

Years
    So, after glancing at the threads, I prefer the arrangement of world building threads in the main fanfic section and the discussions in the Writer's Lounge. Maybe it could encourage some people to continue their world building that way, and at least you can update your world building a little later if it's taking a while for you to add more stuff.

If it's decided all/most of the mulitverse threads head to Writer's Lounge, I'm okay with that too. Either way, I would assume the prefixes "Pokemon World" and "Original World" would be kept.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    @utilizing the existing subforum - No, then it makes more sense to have the MV threads in the main fic area of FF&W rather than in Writer's Lounge as Bay also seems to agree with. And leave discussion about writing for WL.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    How are reply / thread necromancy effected by this? Sometimes, in particular for world threads, you don't have anything new to show in a long time and unless you have a thread in W'sL that it's like an open FAQ, discussion about the worlds and their related writing seems to mostly come when people are invited, for lack of a better word.

ZKE

Not an ounce of maturity.
    Years
    Bit disappointed but really a lot of the time when I'd glance in here, it seems like most of the creators are sticking to their own threads instead of cross-commenting(myself included). And work on this scale does take a lot of effort to produce updates for - I've been kicking around my region's concepts for several years and it hasn't been until sitting down to organize every detail properly for my thread here that I realized how much of an undertaking it truly is and how much needed to be overhauled.

Going into FF&W might just reinvigorate some blood and encourage more activity. I've certainly been stalling due to a lack of motivation. Not sure which part of FF&W would be best though as I'm not greatly familiar with that area of the site.

Bay

Years
    How are reply / thread necromancy effected by this? Sometimes, in particular for world threads, you don't have anything new to show in a long time and unless you have a thread in W'sL that it's like an open FAQ, discussion about the worlds and their related writing seems to mostly come when people are invited, for lack of a better word.

If the world threads were to move to my section, it might work similar to a chaptered story thread. You probably won't have anything new for a while, but when you do people might be interested in commenting on the new material. I'm probably misunderstanding something, though, so if I do let me know.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    In case you were wondering about time limits on bumping threads - FF&W allows authors to bump their story threads whenever, as long as it's to post a new chapter or the like. Same would apply to world building threads - as long as you're posting new stuff, it'll be fine to bump your thread without worrying about cutoff times.

If time allows I'll be doing the moving of threads and etc tomorrow - else the day after.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    I'm actually more worried about bumping by *other* people than the author. As I have mentioned some times across the history of FF&W, one of the issues with the thread bump limit is that, if for any reason a thread such as a story or in this case world thread, reaches the bump age (say, 30 days), then no one can say anything unless and until the author does, again, and for that time period people have no practical way to know if anything new is coming or if the thread is just abandoned - from the prespective of a potential visitor, it's the same difference, the thread is effectively dead because they can't say anything anyway.

Separating eg.: the worldbuilding thread of a world from a more general, perhaps per-author, "FAQ / query thread", and giving separate bump ages to each if that's considered adequate, could help alleviate those issues, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra work for most authors. Visitor Messages is also an option, but it mixes topical things with more general oriented, random messages, and can lead to loss of context.

Bay

Years
    FF&W allows for people that are responding to stories a two month bump age, so that should be enough time to respond to the world building threads until the original poster brings in new material. One way folks can keep up with updates is subscribing threads (by going through Thread Tools), but I'm not sure how many people use that feature nowadays.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    FF&W allows for people that are responding to stories a two month bump age, so that should be enough time to respond to the world building threads until the original poster brings in new material. One way folks can keep up with updates is subscribing threads (by going through Thread Tools), but I'm not sure how many people use that feature nowadays.

Good to know! I should use that feature more often.

Edit: What if this is all some practical joke and the multiverse is never shutting down. At this rate, that could very well be the case xD

Last edited:
    Back