• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The MyDoom Worm

Yamichu

o.O;
Years
    • Age 119
    • Seen May 21, 2004
    Interesting...I don't think I've got it but then again I havn't cheked my E-mail.

Hey, do you know if a bug can more likely spread through a whole country than go to the countries on the other side of the world?
    I know I know nothing about computars.

~HORN!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years

*thought that MyDoom was launched by hackers/whoever as a challenge for all Personal Computers across the world worldwide? So it certainly spreads, acorss the world too*

*(Don't know how for details... will leave Kairi to explain that part) If you do come in contact with it, it will extract itself and repulicate, sending a duplicate email to everyone on your contact list so they'll get infected too*

*This "challenge" is suppose to last for 2 weeks of time (or something close to that), starting from 2~3 days ago actually...*

*should really update antivirus protection as all the antivirus programs are all targetting at that at the moment... also to be on the safe side, just don't open emails from people you don't know. Look at the email sizes and attachment type too*

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • <= he is just trying to post without talking... that's all... and all these sentences led off by arrows means "a sign with information for the person to the left reads the following:"

*thinks Optic should knwo that things within *s means action or thought...*

*certainly someone knows even better just why he has to act like this... COUGH COUGH*

Yamichu

o.O;
    Years
    • Age 119
    • Seen May 21, 2004
    I hate hackers! They is evil!
    On Australia Day (26th Jan public holiday) Optus (my net provider) had to shut down peoples internet or whatever for the day because of hackers. *hopes MyDoom worm will not infect her E-Mail even though she has Norton Anti-Virus*

~HORN!

100marios

Reigning Dork Champion of PC
    Years
  • Actually, I was afraid I got it the other day when PC was really slow to load up..............actually, I didn't know about the virus, it was my dad who was worried, he recently wiped out this computer from another virus and didn't want to have to do it again.

Last edited:

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Hackers are not evil, they don?t do anything wrong. Crackers are the people who do malicious things with their abilities. Personally, my ISP is really good at filtering this and I haven?t gotten one. Plus I run a good, up-to-date antivirus, and a firewall. Plus I?m going through a router, so another firewall. I don?t keep a contact list just in case something like this would slip by me. The more annoying thing about this virus is some people?s antivirus. The virus can spoof coming from you, and their antivirus sends you emails saying you sent them a virus, when you might not even have it. =\ I worry about frosty, who probably doesn't stay updated. ._.;

Arwen

Beautiful Elf Maiden(Mod)
    Years
  • Nah... i'm protected because I have current DAT files for Norton Virus Scan (2004 Professional with DAT Updated 1/29/03) and a Firewall up... (although I use Dialup connection).

anyway, I got this message which is oddly strange on AOL:

Email:[email protected]
    Subject:Virus Alert
    Message:The mail message (file: data.zip) you sent to [email protected] contains a virus. (on the network)

Last edited:

Yamichu

o.O;
    Years
    • Age 119
    • Seen May 21, 2004
    Kairi said:
    Hackers are not evil, they don?t do anything wrong. Crackers are the people who do malicious things with their abilities. Personally, my ISP is really good at filtering this and I haven?t gotten one. Plus I run a good, up-to-date antivirus, and a firewall. Plus I?m going through a router, so another firewall. I don?t keep a contact list just in case something like this would slip by me. The more annoying thing about this virus is some people?s antivirus. The virus can spoof coming from you, and their antivirus sends you emails saying you sent them a virus, when you might not even have it. =\ I worry about frosty, who probably doesn't stay updated. ._.;

Ok then...
    CRACKERS ARE EVIL!!!!!!!!!
    And Arwen that is just wiered...why would there had been a virus in the E-mail you sent?...0.o

~HORN!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Kairi said:
    I worry about frosty, who probably doesn't stay updated. ._.;
    *and for once he has disappointed Kairi in a good way ^_^; *

*still haven't gotton anyway yet... maybe being exclusive in terms of email filter help a bit...*

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Haruka said:
    i'm updated constantly... thanks to Norton's Automatic Liveupdate.
    I?m actually such a memory freak I leave auto-update off, and check twice a day or so for updates. Because, when idle, auto-update uses RAM doing nothing. 95% of the time, it?s best to leave it on however, just in case you forget.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
  • UH OH!!

I recived this message about the virus again... I think I should start a full system scan now.

Subject: VIRUS ALERT! Virus found in message sent by you!
    Date: 2/1/2004 2:07:55 PM Eastern Standard Time
    Reply To:
    To: [email protected]

This is an automated message from Pathway Communications' E-mail Virus
    Scanning Service which scans all inbound e-mail addressed to Pathway clients
    for viruses.

Our virus scanning system has detected that you may have sent to Pathway
    client: [email protected] a message infected with the following
    VIRUS(es):

======================================
    ALERT - VIRUSES DETECTED:
    text.scr infected: I-Worm.Mydoom.a
    text.scr disinfection failed: I-Worm.Mydoom.a

Please note that the e-mail address you see above may have been translated
    for delivery from the original virtual e-mail address used by you and your
    message may have been disinfected for delivery by our Virus Scanning
    Service. You may wish to take the necessary steps to scan and disinfect
    your own computer system.

This message is being sent to you as a matter of record. Pathway
    Communications does not assume any liability or obligation whatsoever,
    either directly or indirectly, in respect of identifying, disinfecting or
    delivering any e-mail messages received and makes no warranties of any kind,
    whether expressed or implied, in relation to the accessibility, accuracy,
    reliability, safety or quality of the files or E-mail and exercises no
    control and has no responsibility whatsoever over the information passing
    through its system.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
  • Kairi said:

Hackers hack things. Crackers crack passwords. They are both evil...

By the way, my computer has been immune to the MyDoom virus for several months. :D

Back