• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The new D/P/Pt Trainers battle styles

Years
  • I could care less about IV and EV's. I take what the game gives me and I accept it. I don't get all crazy trying to get the "perfect" Pokemon.

LOL, same. I don't see much of a point trying to get a specific nature, gender i can understand (i like matching my pokemon on whether i think the pokemon suits male or female better)
    The whole EV/IV training is just beyond me...

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    DP is a metagame a lot not equilibrate, I don't like a lot I preferred to level of competitive batting the metagame Advanced and the metagame GSC.

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
  • I do it old school style, GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL! (Did you know that Pokemon dropped that as their catch phrase at the start of the 3rd generation? I was like, What the f***?!)

...But I do EV train, and breed for Egg moves, but I don't really care about Natures and IVs (For competitive battling only)

Naxus_Darkstar

Team Warlock!!!!
    Years
  • I ev train stuff for battle tower, wifi, ect. but i dont do any eving until after i beat the elite four and stuff and i always try to catch new pokemon. and will use them in game but if i want it for competitive i will breed it. As for ivs i dont care about them to much but i mean a 31 iv is a nice bonus compared to a 7. i dont look or breed for them but if i get something with good ivs im happy. ;D

Years
  • I just go and catch whatever I find, then I train them and teach them the moveset that I want, no matter what nature it is, sometimes.. on my more "prized" pokemon I check out their IV's.. but not often.

I don't really understand nor have the time to learn how IV's, EV's and all that works, so i don't bother.

Cham

Cool Trainer
    Years
  • I EV train and try to find the natures that are suitable for what I want, but I don't care too much for perfect IVs. If the IVs are terrible I will keep looking, but if they are mediocre I don't mind. As far as competitive battling goes, I don't really care about tiers though they do help and some monsters are clearly better, I prefer to use what I like instead.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I have become a very strict player since DPPt came out. I only accept a Pokemon if all of its attrinutes fit my needs perfectly. I mean color, gender, EVs, IVs, Pokeball, nickname, contest stat and all.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    I EV train but not IV Breed.. Although I check out the Characteristics of the Pokemon whether its good or bad , this is for Wi-Fi and battle frontier .

in term of games, I battle without EV training . and giving to my team some powerful moves and a bit useful items ( Ex: Charcoul , Magnet )

Jollyrancher

Blue Raspberry Level
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2009
    Uhhh , just for specific pokemon for my team, I try to find a specific nature, when I'm done with that, then I get other pokes with specific natures :P

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I usually do both. With EVing you have more things to do and it is a bit more exciting to do than just regular training though.

Imagine.

Escaping Beyond Hope
    Years
    • Age 27
    • GBR
    • Seen Oct 28, 2015
    Well im 50% of each. When im doing in-game stuff i catch anything i see. But when it comes to updating the shop or Fulfilling peoples request i am very very picky :D.

FalconJoker

Joking with the Devil
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    My first play through, I don't care about stats, EVs, IVs or natures. Once I'm done with that though, then I admit it is definitely all I focus on because I enjoy battling other people competitively.

Though it does take away from the rest of the game. IE. I still need to completely beat battle frontier (which I'll get to eventually XD)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    When I first started playing Pearl, I didn't know much about EV training but when I got to know about it I tried it and it was fun. When I don't EV train that's when I am usually just building up an in-game team for something. Most of the time I EV train but I don't care much for the IV's. I also look at natures as well.

joelogs

region Explorer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    i only catch for fun and evolve those that are on first form to final form. i do it cause i love pokedex entries.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    I play for the fun of it, I know how to EV train etc, but I choose not to.
    I just like fighting trainers, and beating gyms etc.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    I do train EV style but usually i don't care THAT much about it, as long as i have fun playing the game, it's all about it :D

Back