• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The New EXP System

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterTobias

Pokémon Map Hacker/Pro 'Baller
Years
  • Wow.
    Do I really need to say anything else?
    This is crazy, I'm going to be getting the English version when it comes out.
    O.O
    I gotta say, I wonder if they really intended for it to be so rigged?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    The change to the EXP was the very first thing I noticed on my Copy. I was so happy at first because it didn't take me that long to level up a decent amount. I love how its erratic based on level. Level 18 beating a level 21 was like 195 or something close while my level 20 gained like 172. (Can't remember specifically but I was flipping out).

I really like the new EXP system.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    Gain XP fast in White

This seemed the best place on the forums to put this.

This will most likely work in Black too and its not a glitch before anyone stops reading.

You need access to route 14, north of white forest. (not sure if Black owners have access to this area, but the tactic should work all the same)

Requirements for access to route 14:

-Beaten the elite 4 once
    -Continued Story (wont spoil)

Optional:

-Use pokemon transferred from Generation IV games for the boosted XP
    -Lucky egg.

basically you want to find yourself just outside the north entrance to white forest. Now start moving up and down, keeping an eye on the 11 patches of grass above the stairs. Look out for a moving patch of grass. Once you spot one, jump in. Their is a pretty good chance it will be an Audino between levels 47-50, this is who we want to be fighting. Make it faint, gain the XP. On average (for my Jolteon, imported transferred from HeartGold and holding lucky egg) a lvl47 Audino gives 5300xp and level 50's give 6500xp. Takes me 3 battles to gain a level (Jolteon originally level 57 on transfer, now level 70 after an hour of this).

Obviously people might have better training methods but this is the best legitimate training method I've come across so far! Better still, Audino often uses a healing move on you to save you from constantly heading back to the pokemon centre to heal!

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    I know and REALLY love this method (Exactly on that route, too). I myself have trained a lot of Pokemon this way, really.
    I use a traded Lv.1 Pokemon holding a Lucky Egg, then switch to a high-levelled non-traded one, KO the Audino and it goes up to around Lv.30 IN ONE BATTLE. :D
    You can also do this before E4 on other routes, but they give less exp.

DeathOfBlades

AYE SIR!
    Years
  • Sadly we don't have access to the forest as it is exclusive to the White Version. For us Black users, we get the Black City which is like white forest except it's filled with trainers and you can purchase specialty items.

Shattered_Soul

Just Because :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    Thanks for sharing this method! I'll be sure to try it out once I gain access to that area.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    You don't always find audino 100%, and how do you make the moving patch of grass come back faster?

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    Sadly we don't have access to the forest as it is exclusive to the White Version. For us Black users, we get the Black City which is like white forest except it's filled with trainers and you can purchase specialty items.

I'm sure the same method can be applied to a similar route, Audino is one of the most common pokemon to appear in shaking patches of grass. I just posted a spot that only had 11 patches of grass top keep an eye on, if you find a similar place in black feel free to post it here

You don't always find audino 100%, and how do you make the moving patch of grass come back faster?

True, i find Emolga here and there too (run, they only give 2000xp) but 90% of the time its been an Audino. As for making the shaking patches come back faster, I move up and down on the bike for about 30 times and if no grass shakes, I go into the entrance to white forest then back out again straight away. this might be a placebo effect but i find it "resets" the grass, and a shaking patch appears soon after.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    These two threads seem rather similar, so we're going to discuss your thoughts on the EXP system and the methods for gaining it here. If you're going to discuss your thoughts on the shaking grass alone, do so in the Shaking Grass discussion.

To add on, I find the methods very easy to deal with and it allows me to level up my Pokémon rather quickly than it would usually take in the other generations. Whenever I need to get my Pokémon to a certain level to challenge a Gym Leader, I usually depend on the shaking grass method to gain the EXP quicker. Otherwise, I just continue on battling the trainers and run through the wild Pokémon found in the grass. Tranquill seems to give me a good amount of EXP in the wild as well. To be honest, I actually enjoy training more than I had before. XD

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    The only things I'd noticed regarding EXP changes were:

1) Low level Pokémon give you a bit less EXP (in previous games you got at least over 10 EXP for a level 2 Pokémon; now it's not even 10 in most cases!)

2) If more than one Pokémon participated in a battle, if any are a lower level they receive a larger than fair share of the EXP...which I think is brilliant

So bearing in mind I've personally not noticed anything else, is this it? Or are there other changed factors? I've wrote this without reading the above posts for the record

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • In all honesty, I never really noticed too much of a difference while playing the game, so it's fine by me.

Same. I only noticed when EXP Sharing a Pokemon, how it got like, 1/4 more EXP than it should have.

Even now, with Level 40s killing Level 30s, I don't see any difference really. Still getting around 1.5k per kill.

It'll be great for leveling egg Pokemon, though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I didn't really notice any change except for the fact that exp share holders were getting more than usual. I just got the lucky egg and so it still isn't really any different to me than before. I'm sure once I can train a really low level pokemon with the higher levels like the E4 and such, I will notice it. I think it's great to level lower pokemon with this method, they reach a decent level quicker to match your higher leveled party members. But, leveling to 100 might take longer if you get less for beating pokemon lower leveled than yours.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • Out of curiosity, I tested it on a Lvl 2 Patrat, giving him a Lucky Egg to hold. Went to Black City, challenged first person I saw, had him first in line, switched him out with one of my other Pokemon. The Pokemon he was up against was Lvl 50... after the battle, my Patrat shot up to Lvl 21. So, he went up almost 20 levels just for being in the battle for a second.

I have mixed feelings about the new EXP system. On one hand, it makes filling the pages of your Pokedex a bit easier. (Because you can now evolve low level Pokemon very easily at the end of the game. Like my Patrat up there.) Training Pokemon after the league is easier, too, since everyone seems to be higher leveled than you are at first. However, I imagine training them past about 70 or so will be hard, if not tedious. It makes training low leveled Pokemon very easy... but high leveled ones very hard.

I've definitely noticed the change, though. Especially when I have a Pokemon holding that lucky egg.

Years
  • I have mixed feelings about the new EXP system. I hate it that when you overpower wild Pokemon with really less levels, you don't get crap. On the other hand, if you can find a nice spot of dark grass where higher level Pokemon are, just walk around, battle with type advantages and let the EXP flow. I actually find leveling up in the later stages easier than early on in the game. You try to take on a Pokemon of your same level when you're still weak and you get your butt handed to you.

It's a pain early on and makes it harder, but it pays off big time later on.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I don't see much difference, other than lower Pokemon giving out less EXP, and that lower level Pokemon receive more EXP.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Interesting.. I never even hear of this - and I didn't notice either. Guess that means it doesn't matter to me :)

Nameless.

I'm heavily enjoying the new experience system. Despite the change being pretty minuscule, it makes for a nice motivation to move up and beat harder Pokemon. Makes you have to work for the levels you want, and have to explore around a bit more to find Pokemon that give a great amount of experience. The game is a lot more diverse and adventurous that way, and really awesome. <3

But yeah it really isn't as huge a change as it seems, but the smallest things can make the biggest impacts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back