• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The New Games - What does this mean to the Metagame?

Isabelle

★ Emo Princess ★
    Years
    I think it's not much. As you can see the remakes are just the same as the old ones. They just add some graphical stuffs. New Features. But maybe they will increase the level of the pokemon a little bit. and it's up to Nintendo.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    It will definitely affect competitive battling.
    I'm sure some of the under-used Pokemon from Johto (I think most are from Johto) will now gain a better recognition.
    Maybe some may get a new moveset or changed stat to totally change how competitive battling works.

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
    Definitely more variety.
    I've heard plenty of complaints from people saying that they're tired of battling people that constantly have the same teams with little variety. More Pokemon will become easier available, so there will certainly be more variety, I would think.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    McThread McMerge here - other thread forgotten but still can live!

Carry on! (I'd give my thoughts on this as well but I think I already had...)

Years
    I'm hoping they tweak a few moves. They force you to teach people Cut and Fly to play the game, it's time to make them 100% ACC, I mean really, come on. Defog is terrible, I hope to never see it again, and Rock Smash is weak as heck. They either need to make these TM moves good, or finally make you able to forget HM moves; really, it's time, there's no reason not to be able to forget HM moves, it's just silly and makes things harder and more frustrating, especially since the move deleter is in Blackthorn for goodness sake.

I totally agree with you on that. Seriously, Rock Smash has only 40 power. I wish I could give my Pokemon better moves, but I can't because it knows an HM. What do I have to do? Say 'No' when I want to learn a new move, fly to the move deleter, and then use a Heart Scale to relearn the move that I couldn't learn earlier because of the stupid HM? I really hope I can delete an HM for a move. Or at least have the HM be stronger like you said. At least Defog is a little better than Flash.

I think there will be items in HG/SS that you can't trade to DPPt. Possibly Apricorns. I really don't want them to remove the Apricorns. I hope they keep the same kinds of Pokeballs such as Friend Ball, Love Ball, Moon Ball, Lure Ball, and Fast Ball instead of replacing them with Luxury Ball, Net Ball, etc.

Seeing as how the news of Platinum made me play Diamond more.... the news of HG/SS is making me play Platinum more. I'll play both Platinum and Heart Gold/ Soul Silver.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
    >D What is this obcession with deleting HMs?! You can't do it. You SHOULDN'T do it. After all, imagine surfing on say... a Slowpoke. You defeat a Tenticool and go up one level. Oh, wow, you can learn Yawn. I'll just delete Surf...
    WHOOPS. Now you're trapped unable to move in the ocean...
    Just use HM slaves.
    Anyways, I'm excited to see Beserk Gene back. I never got to use it as I was never in any link up battles (it was single use - that might need changing).

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I doubt that there will be any new Pokemon, moves, etc. I don't think it will massively change the metagame like Platinum did. There might be more tutor moves though...

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I doubt that there will be any new Pokemon, moves, etc. I don't think it will massively change the metagame like Platinum did. There might be more tutor moves though...

Well said really. New Pokémon can wait until the next generation and then make some alterations to the metagame more drastically than what DPPt brought in. The move tutors however might be new and bring in some older moves that was once located in the original Gold and Silver games. If so, then some new changes might be made to the metagame featuring some new movesets for certain Pokémon. If anything had to be changed with moves it'll be accuracy like what they did in Platinum. For example, Hypnosis' accuracy had been brought down and if they think it's needed, then it might be raised again. With this, more people might go back and use it on a set for a Pokémon like Gengar. Though, HeartGold and SoulSilver's arrival shouldn't affect the way the metagame is nor the way competitive battling operates, as Platinum basically got most of the loose ends covered.

Pan!ko

vibratingcat XD
    Years
    On alternate forms, maybe dark lugia? It seems unlikely but it played quite a major role in XD. But if they did something like that soul silver would have one more than heart gold... as i said quite unlikely but im just throwing it out there. Also, yes they should keep the Apricorns.

TERRA#493

Competitive Battler
    Years
    one factor, that will change the metagame more or less strong, is that plenty of pokemon will learn new attacks. and its obvious, that this factor will inure. the other factor: will HG/SS have the physical/special-move-split from D/P/PL or the old split sorted by the move-types? if it has old sorted by move-types split, the metagame will change a lot..

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2015
    one factor, that will change the metagame more or less strong, is that plenty of pokemon will learn new attacks. and its obvious, that this factor will inure. the other factor: will HG/SS have the physical/special-move-split from D/P/PL or the old split sorted by the move-types? if it has old sorted by move-types split, the metagame will change a lot..

I highly doubt they'll go back to the flawed move-type split

The Hero Without a Name

Da bee dee da ba mouse...
    Years
    T_S, you forgot about the possibility of new moves for several Pokemon. You know very well how much Scizor's new Bullet Punch affected the metagame after Platinum came out.
    Will another Pokemon get new moves? Could Entei get Flare Blitz (FINALLY giving the damn thing a strong physical STAB)? There's also the possibilities of move tutors as well.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013

New moves is a possibility, but not entirely new moves that is, because that'll just need to wait for the next generation. I think Platinum really got a lot of the metagame and competitive play covered though and may not need any improvement at the time being. For your remark on converting back to the old style of moves, instead of staying with how it was brought to us by DPPt, then this will cause some problems. For one, it'll definitely change gamelpay, not dor DPPt, but foe the game itself as it won't have compatability with DPPt, therefore it'll only be able to have metagame battles with its two counterparts HeartGold vs. SoulSilver. So, you're right the metagame will change a lot as it won't be able to continue the Wi-Fo battles with DPPt and the way some moves are won't be calculated all the same as how much easier it was back in DPPt. I doubt this will be the case though, because it just wouldn't make much sense at all for the game to go back to the older style of moves.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I'm looking forward to what HG/SS will do to the current metagame but I don't think there will be too many changes. A few new moves for Pokemon and maybe some accuracy changes but I doubt it'll be major.

The Hero Without a Name

Da bee dee da ba mouse...
    Years
    WHY would they? You didn't see SpAtk and SpDef merged back into a Special stat in FRLG. Why should they revert to the type split in HGSS?

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    WHY would they? You didn't see SpAtk and SpDef merged back into a Special stat in FRLG. Why should they revert to the type split in HGSS?

I wouldn't worry to much about that, as I doubt it will be converted back. It will ruin compatability with DPPt and really mess up competitive play as, if this were so, we could only challenge others with HeartGold and SoulSilver as well. Though, like stated above, I agree, possibly some accuracy changes and maybe a few new moves added for Pokémon here and there. These are just slight changes though, and depending what they change is, will vary how much the metagame is altered as well.

Back