• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The new HG SS Battle design

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    Personally, I think Platinum was better.
    Oh, and I don't really like that Chikorita sprite either..

I hope that some stuff gets changed for the US version.

Years
    Anybody besides me think the battle backgrounds are horribly bland?

I definitely think so. From looking at screenshots, the battle backgrounds are completely unchanged from Diamond and Pearl's (and Platinum's) gradient backgrounds. This is inexcusable for two reasons. One, battles are a key component of Pokémon, and looking at uninspiring backgrounds can really make battles look boring fast. It would give the game a lot more life if the battle backgrounds reflect the location you are in (like the GameCube games, or even other RPGs). And two, they're completely unchanged from D/P/Pt's backgrounds, which, in turn, are just Generation III backgrounds with slightly more flair (I stress the word "slightly"). And the GBA backgrounds, in turn, were bland even for their time (I've seen some obscure GBA RPG released a year before Ruby/Sapphire, yet has much more aesthetically pleasing backgrounds). They have no style whatsoever, except that the color changes depending on where you are. I remember the day I got Ruby, and was unimpressed with the backgrounds.

We live in the year 2009, and the designers can't come up with more interesting backgrounds than gradients?

Kleinchen

boldly going
    Years
    • CA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2013
    I actually liked the DPPt battle backgrounds... They were very easy to look at, the differences depending on place were a nice touch, and overall pretty but not distracting. I think a more detailed, and therefore more cluttered, background would be very distracting to some people, so while a good battle atmosphere is necessary, a background too full of stuff would have a detrimental effect. So I'm glad they're using basically the same backgrounds as DPPt. n.n;

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    I agree with Blaziken257. Although having the whole screen become a part of the enviroment may be a tad much, I would love to see better, more thought out ways to show where you are battling.

Perhaps the way your avatar portrays it...

Years
    I actually like how they kept the same design as DPPT's. However, they added the waves and the bubbles when you encounter Red Gyarados and Lugia. That makes it better. I don't remember seeing that in DPpt...I don't mind them having the same backgrounds as DPPt (because they at least change during the time of day). They look better than the ones from FrLg. I'm just happy that the battle music is better than DPPt's. Also, I like the background for the interior of a cave. The rocks are shown. It looks very nice.

Last edited:

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
    I like the HP boxes except for one thing, the jagged edge on the side! It should be smoother, like a smooth diagonal line rather than a jagged pointy one. It gets to me after a while ;(

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I like the HP boxes except for one thing, the jagged edge on the side! It should be smoother, like a smooth diagonal line rather than a jagged pointy one. It gets to me after a while ;(

Jagged design is basically because it is a digital frame being produced in the game. In simpler terms, if you were to use Photoshop and pencil in a straight line, then it would be smooth. However, if you were to draw that line in a slanted direction, then the line itself will have a jagged appearance.

It is basically a normal thing to ignore overtime, but other than that the design is simple and fitting to me. Yes, Platinum has a better look, but one it did fit in more with the darker style to fit Giratina and I guess with the remake a change was needed. I'd also like to add that Lugia and Ho-Oh's new sprite definitely came out well to me in battle. I especially enjoy Lugia's posture in battle as it gives it more personality in battle and shows a certain character to it.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I like the shape, but I would prefer them to be Platinum's colour as white sticks out too much.

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
    I definitely think so. From looking at screenshots, the battle backgrounds are completely unchanged from Diamond and Pearl's (and Platinum's) gradient backgrounds. This is inexcusable for two reasons. One, battles are a key component of Pokémon, and looking at uninspiring backgrounds can really make battles look boring fast. It would give the game a lot more life if the battle backgrounds reflect the location you are in (like the GameCube games, or even other RPGs). And two, they're completely unchanged from D/P/Pt's backgrounds, which, in turn, are just Generation III backgrounds with slightly more flair (I stress the word "slightly"). And the GBA backgrounds, in turn, were bland even for their time (I've seen some obscure GBA RPG released a year before Ruby/Sapphire, yet has much more aesthetically pleasing backgrounds). They have no style whatsoever, except that the color changes depending on where you are. I remember the day I got Ruby, and was unimpressed with the backgrounds.

We live in the year 2009, and the designers can't come up with more interesting backgrounds than gradients?

Just be glad they actually have backgrounds now instead of like it was with r/b/y/g/s/c where all you had for a background was white nothingness...

And they aren't that bad, besides the background is the last thing I'm focused on when I'm in a battle.

Back