• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The New Users Hangout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xarses

Whippersnapper
Years
  • Hi, guys I am obviously a newbie, and the reason I'm here is to try to get "up-to-date" with the battling startagies. I used to be good in RBY/GSC, but now, I found out, I reaaaally suck. I'm hoping to get into the whole wi-fi battling thing, so if you have any advice, please, send away.

Hopfully I end staying at these forums. :3

Peace,
    Xarses.

Pokefreak437

is looking for sig. tutorials.
    Years
  • •Put diversity in your teams! Don't have two Pokemon with the same type in your team, it will create multiple weaknesses, and cause you easier losses. An example of a well balanced (Type Wise) team:
    Blastoise
    Infernape
    Umbreon
    Espeon
    Frosslass
    Staraptor

•NEVER put more than one type of a move in a moveset. Unless the other move is a stat/support move. An example of a bad moveset for a Kyogre:
    Waterfall
    Surf
    Water Spout
    Hydro Pump

Though every move is powered up by 100%, but it only hits super effective on several types. An example of a good moveset for a Kyogre would be:
    Surf
    Thunder
    Calm Mind
    Ice Beam

•ALWAYS EV your Pokemon. If your Pokemon aren't EV'ed, it makes battles one sided and boring... EV's are VERY important in battling and should be used. I will not teach you about EV's in this tutorial, but you can search Google for some good tutorials.

•Make sure the Pokemon you're using has a good nature. I cannot stress this enough, I have seen trainers who go, "0mGz Lo0kZ aT mY aWeSoMe PoKeMaN!!! i'M tHe BeSt!"

But when I battle them and win, I find out their Pokemon have horrible natures. Natures DO effect stats, which need to be payed attention to. You don't want a Rotom with low Special Attack, but a high Physical Attack when its movepool is limited to Sp. Attacks. The example I used was a Rotom with an Adamant nature.
    You absolutely need the right nature! Find a Pokemon's base stats, then find the highest one (Not including HP), and get it a nature that powers up the stat. Natures are covered in the EV guide.

•Don't just fill up your Pokemon's moveset with all combat moves, use stat and support moves too! Example of a Lucario moveset that uses a stat-up move.
    Swords Dance
    Extremespeed
    Blaze Kick
    Close Combat

Yes, yes, the whole moveset sucks, I know. Swords Dance will raise Lucario's attack sky high. A support moveset for an Azelf (Not Uber, but this Support needs strategy to use)
    Stealth Rock
    Taunt
    Psychic
    Explosion

Use Taunt to stop the opponent from Stealth Rocking then use Stealth Rock youself.

Those are just examples. You can do whatever you want.

•Don't use a whole team of ubers, and call yourself unbeatable. The thing I hate most is battling people on Youtube, who send out ubers, but still get beaten cuz they can't EV.

A battle guide I wrote in 20 minutes the other day. :) It's kinda short but those are mainly basics you need to know.

Xarses

Whippersnapper
    Years
  • I knew most of those, but I only recently actually started getting good natures. I heard from a friend of mine that base stats, lv. 50, are more affected by nature than EV and that totally did it for me. :p

A tiny question however: Are EVs only obtained through wild battles?

Ash~The Purifying Prince~

TLOTPP "Haunting Dreams" 77%
    Years
  • This is my second day! Well i don't have any friends yet. But I'll be glad if anyone would like to be my friend.

Anyone here likes Pachirisu?

Oh! -Throws up his hand and waves it crazily- I'm a Pachirisu fan! I think he's a cute little guy. And if you would like some friends I'll be happy to be one; the more the merrier in my opinon xD. This is I believe my second day as well xD.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    This is my second day! Well i don't have any friends yet. But I'll be glad if anyone would like to be my friend.

Anyone here likes Pachirisu?

I like Pachirisu, it's cute :P

I'll be your friend, just drop me a VM ;)

Have a great time at PC.

Feuille

The Calm Before the Storm
    Years
  • So, I figure this is where I post this?

Hi there everyone, I`m Jaye! You may or may not know me as Moonlit Dreams from Pe2k, where I am pretty active. I found a link leading here and when it looked cool, I figured I might as well join! Nice skins BTW

My username is the French name for Leaf (if you didn`t know), and as both speak the language and am a Leaf fan, I decieded to use it!

So, I think that raps this intro up! LoL, this was harder then I thought it would be...

Mew, Meow, Nya

Bazooka544

The Entiety of Grovyle
    Years
  • Hey, I'm Amber!
    I found this site because I was trying to find a Pokémon Role Play. I saw PC and thought, 'May as well join'.
    Well here I am!

I am excellent at writing and I love Grovyles! I first found out about Grovyle in spoilers about the new Hoenn starters ages ago and I've been in love with them ever since!

So, long-story-short, I'm here to Roly Play and help out. Thanks guys!

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Welcome to the community, girls.

Hope you both have some fun around these parts. Don't mind the quirkiness of the members, you'll soon find yourself behaving in much the same manner as they. ;D

Good luck with your roleplaying, Bazooka. See you both around.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2009
    Is any one up for trading/battling. this my first day and i would like to make some friends.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Is any one up for trading/battling. this my first day and i would like to make some friends.

You should head over the Wifi Center, I'm sure you'll find a lot of people to battle/trade with you there. That would be easier then asking the people that hang out in this area. xD

I'd battle you, iiiif I had wifi. ; ;

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2016
    Uuummm Hi everyone! I'm Gello.
    I just wanted to know some basic things about the site! Please Help.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024

Welcome!

Well, it's just a forum, to talk about Pokemon, videogames, and the like. So hopefully you feel like chatting with other members. There also a Wifi Center.. if you want to meet up with people to battle/trade with, then that's where you should head to.~

Aside from talking, there isn't much to be done here, although I would suggest giving the rules a good read through, before posting around too much.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Hi Gello and welcome to the forums.

The forum is simple to get once you stick around for a few days, this FAQ here can help you understand all the basics and as Drew suggested reading the rules also helps.

Hope you have a great time here.

Ash~The Purifying Prince~

TLOTPP "Haunting Dreams" 77%
    Years
  • Welcome to the PC Forums everybody! I'm quite new here myself but it doens't hurt to welcome others after all! so I all hope you enjoy your stay here at PC. The people here are all friendly so you shouldn't have any trouble getting along at all! ^^

Scarface

Poor quality pictures FTW!
    Years
  • Hello Zim. I hope you have a wonderful time here. make sure you abide by the rules and are courteous and fair with all other users of PC. If you need any assistance, I will try my best to help you. I'm new to PC too, but I'm a self-proclaimed expert at Pokemon. A bit sad, I know, but oh well, I'm a fan. Anyway, I Hope you have a lovely time here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back