• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The News: Do you believe it?

Years

• Linear Thinker or Free Thinker?

Well how about it?

We are surrounded by a world that rely on the news to tell us what is going on in the world, but do you believe everything that they say? Do you believe that we are really fighting a war against terrorism? That these attacks are by some evil people? The stories that they tell us?

Personally, I don't buy all this terror stuff. I don't really want this to get into a discussion on 9/11 and was it an inside job? But I believe it was more than an act of terror. There is just too much evident against it being terrorism. Of course, you could say that is just people trying to influence you to rebel against the government; your opinion at the end of the day.

So what do you say PC?

You a free thinker of you linear and believe everything that TV tells you?

Ps. Forgot the poll.

Years
  • I did read the newspaper every day when I was younger to find out what was going on in the world, but now, when I actually read it, I take a step back and actually think about it, instead of soaking it up like a sponge.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    If its something about the government, I usually don't believe it. If its something about the happenings in the country I'd think about it.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • Uh, I don't care either way, but I guess I do believe them? If everyone believes them, then so do I. There's no point in saying that terrorism isn't the problem or whatnot, but frankly I take these news as a grain of salt.

Years
  • Uh, I don't care either way, but I guess I do believe them? If everyone believes them, then so do I. There's no point in saying that terrorism isn't the problem or whatnot, but frankly I take these news as a grain of salt.

You don't care?
    Well, fair enough, but that is a pretty poor attitude to take when discussing what is going on in the world.

And there is a point in challenging terrorism. With your logic, if I say the world is flat and everyone agrees, then it must be flat.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I like to read worldwide news occasionally online but only when an article is interesting itself, if it's on television that's kind of a different story as it's hard to sometimes even believe, I know for one thing my other family enjoys the news but I don't necessarily always, I do happen to watch EW(Entertainment Weekly) if that's correct and like to follow what goes on around the celebrity world. I never cared for stories of someone dieing 'cause it's just a sad thing to hear, obviously the world has a bit of a problem with violence and whatnot and I don't blame everyone it's just something that will never end probably, oh well.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • When I read/watch the news, I almost always look into the things I find interesting more. I do not ever instantly believe what the news says. Ever.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The news has to be taken with a pinch of salt. It depends on your source a lot of the time. I don't think they are allowed to tell direct lies, but they can easily twist words and put a certain emphasis on a particular viewpoint, without the reader even realising it.

The news companies only report what they're told. The news companies can be trusted, the problem lies with their sources. When it comes to the government then there's always a chance of false stories. If you want to try and reach a better conclusion, read up about all the different theories and evidence and weigh up what the most logical story is. If you only get your information from one source, there's a higher chance it could be false.

Of course, all it ever is is hearing what other people tell you. If you want to learn the truth for yourself then launch your own private investigation! The majority of the time, I don't pay attention to different theories. These things do not affect me and I don't want to bother digging too deep to try and reach "the truth" whether 9/11 was an inside job or not, there's no way I can find out for sure and nothing I can do about it, so why bother? I'm not fussed really, unless Britain suddenly becomes a totalitarian state to "combat terrorism" then I'm not really bothered about the government whining and throwing around stories of threats. Let them throw their stories around, I'm just going to continue with my life as normal.

I still keep up to date with the news, just so I know what is actually happening. But when it comes to the cause of something (9/11 for example) there's just no way to know for sure, but it doesn't concern me so I don't think it's a problem. I just want to know the "who, what, where, when" the "why and how" is usually not known for certain, and it's a matter of opinion.

Last edited:

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • Over-reliance makes you a "linear thinker who believes everything the TV tells you."

However, looking at the world from the Paranoia viewpoint (The government is shamelessly evil, and everything is a lie, for example. Google it. It's hysterical) tends to lead to a person becoming a fail anarchist, and a conspiracy nut.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I believe some things in the news, if its something with the government then i probably won't believe it, but if something with the wildlife and such I will.

Christopher D.

→ Espoinage!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2012
    I watch a lot of news, rarely do I read a newspaper. I consider all news sources, though I tend to say away from CNN; it's just a US propaganda machine, in my opinion. Of course, there are similar news channels. But other than that, I don't really believe what any news channel or whatever says, so that's why I look through any different source I can find.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Well, if the local news tells me that traffic is backed up on Highway 77 or if three people were gunned down outside a nightclub on the east side of town, I don't have much of a reason to doubt them.

It's when the person reporting the news tries to inject their own opinion on the matter that I start to get skeptical. After all, opinions vary between people, and when a reporter tries to pass their opinions off as fact, I tend to raise an eyebrow. Usually I try to pull the facts from the report and separate them from the bias and opinion, and work on forming my own conclusions based on those base facts.

Back