• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Next Nintendo Console

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    What do you think the next Nintendo Console could be like, or will be? Because we won't be on the Nintendo Switch forever. We will one day get a new one.

One thing I do hope it's not just "The Nintendo Switch 2" or "Super Nintendo Switch", because we saw how well that went with the Wii U. Although I do think the current hybrid format works fine the way it is.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    Nah I'm good with a Switch 2 and that's my expectation at this point.

Not saying it will happen or I want it to happen... just saying it's my expectation.

Years
    • Seen today
    I would have liked seeing a 3DS successor. Although it seems the Switch has become a combination of both handhelds and home consoles.

I don't think the next console will have any resemblance to the Switch. As much success as the Switch is giving Nintendo, I fully expect a completely different gimmick console. For better or worse.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Would prefer that they just go the way of Sony in that we just get Switch (insert number here) forevermore, it's a much more sensible naming scheme and the Switch being both a handheld and a console was a great idea. But it'll likely be something entirely else with some new gimmick, as that's a thing they're known for at this point.

Years
    I think it's going to be a switch 2 or something like that. Now that they went hybrid, I am pretty sure they won't go back at all (maybe with the lite products). I think also the design will be pretty similar. I think it will be like from DS to 3DS.
    I don't really mind this tbh, I personally just want switch to be more powerful so that it can run more games and I also want backward compatibility.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I doubt that Nintendo would use numbers for their consoles, considering they never did that before. I expect them to call it something else such as Nintendo Switch Ultimate or Nintendo Transition.

Years
    Nintendo won't resort to a numbered formula and I wished Xbox was more straightforward with naming each of the platforms.

Nintendo already dominates the handheld market and if I was to place any wager's, I'm pretty sure their next console will continue that tradition though they've already peaked and I know there are some folks wanting to go back to things like the Street Pass and the Mii Creator.

Their next console could either heavily involve a portable VR where you could take it with you on a car ride or in public; or a repeat with the Switch with either better spec's or more of an At home quality.

Years
    If they're smart, they'll double down on the hybridisation. It was a great move from them and is one of the Switch's best selling points.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
    We'll most likely get a Switch 2. The Switch formula was extremely successful and allows Nintendo to take on both the home and portable/mobile gaming markets.

My money is on a 2024 release.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
    I mostly hope the next one just has a better handheld feel than the Switch. While I don't mind the Switch and it did grow on me, it still feels awkward to use sometimes. I agree though that they'll most likely continue with the hybridization.

A part of me wonders too if they might try to compete with the Steam Deck as far as allowing it to double as a Linux computer, but maybe not since Nintendo is notoriously against emulation and for the Steam Deck doubling as a computer makes it easy. That might also make the costs way too expensive for most players.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
    I'm pretty sure we will just see a hardware revision/upgrade first in the vein of the ps4 pro, "Switch pro"/"super switch" or w/e. With how successful this platform has been and with this install size, the console's lifetime has likely already been extended by the pandemic I reckon, so by doing a revision they can extend the life even further and get the maximum benefit/life out of the system.

Then by the time we eventually do get the true successor it should hopefully be a significant upgrade. Hopefully also fully backwards compatible with the switch too.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    My main concern is that Nintendo is known for aggressively pioneering even when it's absolutely not in their best interests.

Doing "Switch but stronger" would be the safe choice that would probably go over well, specially if they do the suitable sequels: a console with Breath of the Wild 3, Odyssey 2 and a Pokemon game will sell a lot just because of those 3 games.

But Nintendo has the unfortunate combination of really wanting to make very different things and a lot of money so they can eat up massive losses for a really long time, so it's entirely possible they decide hybridization was a gimmick a la motion controls and undo that next gen, or create some other gimmick like the Wii U and then things start crumbling down.

Like, the problem with Wii U wasn't that it was "Super Wii" it was that 3rd party devs had trouble making games, the few that did, didn't quite know how to use the tablet to its full potential and so it became a bit of a clunky experience with few games. If they just give steroids to the Switch (by say, using current gen specs of Sony or Microsoft) most of those problems should theoretically go away. (To exemplify, the Wii U didn't even have a 3D Mario game and the only original 3D Zelda it got was at the end of the console lifespan, so Nintendo couldn't even rely on those franchises to get players invested).

So the tl;dr is it could literally be anything and unfortunately I don't think it will be the sensical choice. I can only hope they start churning out IP earlier to showcase the system better though.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    tbh with all the constant rumors that seem to be non-stop about Switch Pro and them turning out to always be false... I don't think I'd be overly surprised for it to turn out that Switch Pro is actually the next generation Switch.

Poor Sakurai never gets a break. Though I guess there's a little two-letter word called 'No' and then we'll get anime characters in the next Smash and it won't really be Smash anymore.

Yay.........

😐

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Honestly, I think that the next Nintendo console will be virtual reality. And I'm not talking about virtual reality with the headset, I'm talking about virtual reality where you are actually teleported into the game. For example, if you are playing Mario Kart 23 and you run into the shell you will actually feel the vertigo as you spin into the mouth of a chain chomp. I want to feel, hear and experience everything that y character is experiencing in the game. I want the ultimate experience. Absolute insanity and E for everyone, that's what I expect Nintendo to release next.

In reality, it will probably be a small upgrade to the Switch. Better graphics and a more efficient way to do mobile gaming is what I think we could see. The Switch is such a great console as it is and I'm not honestly sure what Nintendo can even do at this point to improve it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    I love my Switch and my Wii and Wii U, but I'd love a console with a regular, GC-like controller.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Since I've been thinking about this for a month or two and we still don't have an announcement. I figured I'd put my thoughts here.

I don't think they need to move away from the Switch. I can't see them getting anything else either. I doubt we will ever get another handheld separate from the console. Going by what they've have for the last few years with Wii and Switch and how they have developed further with a similar gimmick

My guess is the next console will be Virtual Reality based. I know someone mentioned this, but they said we would be teleported into the game and feel the pain ect, VR is not that far along. It is still a very new concept when it comes to actually doing it. And we have just recently gotten away from needing a phone. So I think it will be Nintendo Switch Reality or VR. It will come with a better type of joycon. And something for the legs. We will have the choice to play in Handheld or Console mode though. We've only gotten a few games with the straps for legs ect. VR is the only logical step they can go unless they begin following the number trend.

I think after the Mario movie, a Mario Bros game will be announced and will be the last major new game announcement not counting DLC. And then the Nintendo Switch Reality will be released in late 2025 or early 2026.

I am almost certain there will not be a Switch Pro or New Switch like people have been speculating. I think the upgraded console was the OLED regardless of what people may think.

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    Since I've been thinking about this for a month or two and we still don't have an announcement. I figured I'd put my thoughts here.

I don't think they need to move away from the Switch. I can't see them getting anything else either. I doubt we will ever get another handheld separate from the console. Going by what they've have for the last few years with Wii and Switch and how they have developed further with a similar gimmick

My guess is the next console will be Virtual Reality based. I know someone mentioned this, but they said we would be teleported into the game and feel the pain ect, VR is not that far along. It is still a very new concept when it comes to actually doing it. And we have just recently gotten away from needing a phone. So I think it will be Nintendo Switch Reality or VR. It will come with a better type of joycon. And something for the legs. We will have the choice to play in Handheld or Console mode though. We've only gotten a few games with the straps for legs ect. VR is the only logical step they can go unless they begin following the number trend.

I think after the Mario movie, a Mario Bros game will be announced and will be the last major new game announcement not counting DLC. And then the Nintendo Switch Reality will be released in late 2025 or early 2026.

I am almost certain there will not be a Switch Pro or New Switch like people have been speculating. I think the upgraded console was the OLED regardless of what people may think.

Uh... no. I could care less about VR and nothing with it interests me in any way whatsoever.

IGN claims they have nothing after Zelda but they are the only ones stating/claiming this. At the end of the day... we'll just have to see if this is accurate or correct or not.

Either the Switch is ending and we're getting a new console in 2024 or they will surprise everyone and announce an upgraded model this year after all. But I do feel like it's more than likely that we're getting Switch 2/the next Nintendo console next year and it better not have anything to do with VR

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I'll never play VR. We're all going shortsighted because of using screens in close proximity to our faces, and rich - insert expletive(s) of your choice here - like Zuckerberg want us to strap a screen to our face, lock out the outside world and watch ads all day? No thanks.

I did see a Nintendo spokesperson confirming more than just Zelda for the Switch…although could just mean the inevitable Pokémon DLC. Has the tech actually advanced enough for a meaningful upgrade over the Switch though? The theory I subscribe to is that the OLED was supposed to be more than just a screen, but covid-ravaged supply chains nixed it. But that was just meaning like faster processors and perhaps better wifi. Unless they are bringing out a really good new gimmick, I think the only thing stopping a potential Switch 2 from doing less than Wii U numbers is if all the big franchises are exclusive to it…and that'll still not be as successful as the Switch.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I've seen other articles saying there was still a handful of games left. A Nintendo Rep are people who also told use Animal Crossing would be supported until 2024, but were off by three years since there were no major updates for the game and have confirmed none were coming. So while sources can be wrong, there are other people who have said there is more major games in the pipeline. Noy yo mention their change over from Switch to whatever next will take a few years until they drop support. And we have Mario Kart Updates and Splatoon 3 Updates for at least another year. And TotK will probably get DLC.

Also there is more to VR than the Facebook stuff. There are so many games supported by VR now, it is likely the next evolution of gaming and there probably won't be any stopping it.

Back