• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nintendo DSi Discussion Thread

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Wow... this thread has hit a new low. How many people came in here saying "OMG new DS! Click here to go to SPP *Links to it*"? And on top of that, add nothing to the topic afterwards... Nothing against SPP... I just question some of it's reader's.... <_<;;

Anyway... I do want to note that this is in fact the next DS (not just an updated redesign) if both screens are touchscreens like some places say then you won't be able to play these new games on the DS/Lite (just like you couldn't play GBC only games on the GB, or how GB games wouldn't fit the DS). If just the bottom screen is a touchscreen like the DS currently is then I also think this is a redesign.

Over all, I'm kind of blah to it. If the whole "You can download GB, GBC, and GBA games" turns out to be true then that'll make it a good bit better. I would also LOVE the idea to transfer VC games from the Wii to the DSi (I'd get it just for that). But at this point in time... I got other things to save up for (an XBox 360 Elite being one of them).
    I've lost a lot of faith in Nintendo... and this isn't something that makes it all better. If they can spit out a some good things with the DSi then maybe, but this is Nintendo we're talking about...
    I likely won't get one right off the bat, but I might down the road.
    I only heard about the two touch screen before the conference actually occurred. I haven't afterwards and everything I've read just points to it being a redesign. This isn't a very good press conference if we can't figure out what it is. XD

The whole "third pillar" thing is just Nintendo speak for "we want this to replace a current product". Like how the original DS was a third pillar and replaced the Game Boy. The DSi will be replacing the light, but to me it look like something inbetween a DS and a DS2. It has features that some people would probably like in the successor (I couldn't care less), but otherwise the hardware is identical. I still think of it as being like a Game Boy with a Game Boy Camera built in or a GBA with that media player thing built in.

It just can't be a new platform. It's launch games are regular DS games (most likely since we're getting the games here before we get the DSi, so unless these game forwards compatible...). Makes no sense.

Emerald Yoshi

If Yoshi was a Pokemon...
    Years
    Nah, it probably won't happen. They'll probaby make like a Nintendo DS Advance, where you can also play Gameboy Color Games on it. That would be SWEET! :D

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
    Oh dear. The DSi seems to be nothing more than a gimmick. One camera may have been a cool addition. But 2? This isn't a smartphone. It's a DS. It seems that the DS is trying to become yet another handheld "thingy" which tries to do everything. Now, considering how modestly specced the DS, it's not really up to this task. It's main CPU is only 67mhz for crying out loud. It's tailor designed to a very specific purpose, and that is to play games. Webpage rendering is apparently pretty slow on DS Opera. 67mhz ARM9, 67mhz. 12-16mb of memory in the DSi. It's just not cut out to be the "Nintendo Smartphone"

The cutting out of the GBA slot is also an epic loss, especially for us Pokemon playing folk. Yes, all 15 million of us. Not to mention Guitar Hero on tour's loss. Infact hell, just gaming on the DS as whole's loss. I swear Nintendo don't want the DS to be a gaming machine anymore. No, no, pure gaming isn't mass marketble enough. But that's what Nintendo do, and it'd look a bit odd if they tried to push out a PMP or phone, so they've released a really watered down one under the guise of a DS.

This is turning into a bit of a rant isn't it? I'm just a bit frustrated over Nintendo's attitude towards the core gamer. Sure, their new market of "everyone" has completely turned around their profit tables, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo's old-skool faithul have to be pushed to one side, which I feel the DSi is altogether an advancement on this agenda, focusing on multimedia rather than gaming. I don't feel there's really a single consideration to the real gamers in the DSi's design. It's all about the Brain Training generation.

Oh, and did I mention they've decimeated the battery life? That's the real cincher for me.

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
    Years
    what if it had two TOUCH screens?! that would be totally awesome!

It would also be incredibly confusing. Unless, it was something like you touch things on the top in game x after flinging it from the bottom.

Its something I find interesting and I might get it due to problems with my Lite, but the SD slot was a mistake they should have caught from the Wii. Homebrew Channel, anyone?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Okay, figure I'll just make a quick announcement. If you're going to link to articles about the new DS model, do not link to Serebii's main page. :/ That's not even a link to the article about it and from what I saw, it isn't much of an article anyways.

If you do post something concerning this, make sure it's fairly legitimate and something that hasn't already been posted.

And as for the new model, that's cool, I guess. I certainly won't be raking out money for it when my DS (original) currently sits on my nightstand and hasn't been touched in many a week. XD

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
    Years
    For those that say "The cut of the GBA slot is an Epic Fail", I have some speculative news for you. The got rid of that slot BECAUSE WE WOULDN'T NEED THAT ANYMORE.
    Look, with this new DS we can buy games using the same Wii Points that we have. That makes me think... There's not a Virtual Console on Wii? And it's not EXCLUSIVE to table-consoles?
    Why not a GameBoy Virtual console?
    Oh! Right! They have reserved it for the DS! D'uh!
    Come on and think... They're losing clients to the PSP, people likes it because you can just download the games on it. And... Why Nintendo would lose?
    THIS IS AGAIN AN ÜBER MARKETING STRATEGY, they will make us buy Pokémon R/B/Y/G/S/C/R/S/E again to have... wait a minute... where?
    Oh! On the newly added SD Card, what a convenient device!
    That's the only reason I see to they got rid of GBA Slot, plus they make more money, plus SanDisk make more money, plus we can play Old School games on DS :D

Years
    I...am not really liking the DSi so far, to be honest. Bigger screens? Okay, I can see that as a bonus, though it's nothing I'm excited about since the current screen size is fine for me. Camera? Something I would never use, I bet.

Lack of GBA slot? Okay, complete turn-off there. Yes, I have multiple systems I could play my GBA games on, but I like being able to play DS and GBA games on one system. :I Saves me some hassle. And even if games were available for download and thus the slot wasn't needed, then I still wouldn't be too thrilled about it being gone - because, even if there'd be a whole library of games at my disposal, what about the games I already have a perfectly fine hard copy of? Why should I pay for those again just to be able to play them on a system?

Yeah, I'm cheap. :[ Now, if it had kept the GBA slot, and was able to download games somehow...then I'd have absolutely no complaints. It just seems like they cut out that slot in the name of making the system smaller, which is something that absolutely drives me crazy (no, I didn't like it when they did that to the Gameboy Micro either. In both that case and this case, the size was already fine enough - why the need to make it thinner? Oh right, money).

But for now, unless the DSi manages to have something that actually catches my interest, then I'm just going to stick with the DS Lite that I already have.

Mr. Pokemon

Still rockin' the DS Phat
    Years
    For those that say "The cut of the GBA slot is an Epic Fail", I have some speculative news for you. The got rid of that slot BECAUSE WE WOULDN'T NEED THAT ANYMORE.
    Yeah, we do. What about the upcoming Platinum? It's already available in Japan - with Pal Park - and then they announce a new DS that can't fully support a game that just came out. I don't have Guitar Hero On Tour, so I don't really mind that, but I guess I'll have to keep my original DS just in case I need to Pal Park some Pokemon (though admittedly I don't play my GBA Pokemon games much anymore.)
    They're losing clients to the PSP, people likes it because you can just download the games on it.
    Not really. The DS Lite is selling very well.
    Oh! On the newly added SD Card, what a convenient device!
    That's the only reason I see to they got rid of GBA Slot, plus they make more money, plus SanDisk make more money, plus we can play Old School games on DS
    I'd like to point out that SD stands for Secure Digital, not SanDisk. Also, as far as I know Nintendo hasn't said much beyond a DSi Shop which is similar to the Wii Shop Channel. No confirmation on old school gaming on the DS. But I have to say, I think you should be able to transfer VC games from the Wii to your DSi. It'd be really nice to play Super Mario World and A Link To The Past on the go (remember, the DSi can't play GBA carts!).

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
    Years
    I agree with a lot of people that I see no point for there to be a second Nintendo DS, or DSi.
    A bigger screen isn't really anything. I actually liked the old GBA screen sizes.

If Nintendo keeps the "screen inflating" up, then a GameCube or Wii turn into a handheld.
    I would like it a lot better if they just kept on updating the Nintendo DS, and not changing the entire system.

Mr. Pokemon

Still rockin' the DS Phat
    Years
    I agree with a lot of people that I see no point for there to be a second Nintendo DS, or DSi.
    A bigger screen isn't really anything. I actually liked the old GBA screen sizes.

If Nintendo keeps the "screen inflating" up, then a GameCube or Wii turn into a handheld.
    I would like it a lot better if they just kept on updating the Nintendo DS, and not changing the entire system.
    They did just update it. It's not a new system, all games released after the DSi will also work on the original DS or DS Lite. Nintendo's handhelds can be compared to their previous consoles:

Game Boy/Game Boy Color - NES
    Game Boy Advance - SNES
    Nintendo DS - N64

It's really nothing new. But of course, the handhelds are slightly more powerful than the consoles they can be compared to (with the possible exception of the GB/GBC.)

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Why hasn't anyone linked to the official site yet?

Coming out November 1st... wow, early.
    Price tag isn't so cheap though, seeing how an Xbox 360 Arcade is 19800 yen too.

[edit]
    lol the battery life is even shorter.
    I smell fail in the NDi... kinda like how the iPhone failed here.

You can also only use .aac format sound files, and the web browser itself needs to be downloaded first (is not preset.)

Last edited:

thorn96

Fool! I am the weasel!
    Years
    I reckon a DS without a GBA port wouldn't work at all. So if this thing did come out, DPP users, DON'T
    SELL YOUR DS. :-P

Edit: I think Nintendo are only making it more of a multimedia player to stop the sales of flash carts like the R4DS and the TT card.
    But I don't think it's gonna work. There's just too many games that would be an epic fail without the GBA port...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    The only part of this that is really worth writing home for IMO is the "DSiWare" news. Serebii speculated that we could be looking at Gameboy VC titles, and I tend to second that thought. Think about it, we have three prices: 200, 500, and 800 (and 0, but that's not important here). 200 for classic Game Boy, 500 for GBC, and 800 for some GBA, perhaps? If that actually happens, then we could even be seeing the old Pokemon games revived here, since it could connect to D/P/P from inside the same system. They would just have to edit the old games to be compatible, sort of like what they did with Pokemon Snap on the Virtual Console.

...Egh, that didn't come out right. I guess I'll have to translate later.
    I have a bad feeling to what you said... The chance for G/S/C remake is -100%...

I reckon a DS without a GBA port wouldn't work at all. So if this thing did come out, [S-HIGHLIGHT]
    DPP users, DON'T
    SELL YOUR DS. :-P
    [/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Edit: I think Nintendo are only making it more of a multimedia player to stop the sales of flash carts like the R4DS and the TT card.
    But I don't think it's gonna work. There's just too many games that would be an epic fail without the GBA port...
    Thank you!

My thoughts are... With the release of DSi, DSL will still NOT lost its market. Because DSL has GBA slot, DSi has internet browser, MP3 player and Digital Camera but with NO GBA slot. It means Nintendo is forcing some player to own/buy both DSL and DSi...

Why hasn't anyone linked to the official site yet?

Coming out November 1st... wow, early.
    Price tag isn't so cheap though, seeing how an Xbox 360 Arcade is 19800 yen too.

[edit]
    lol the battery life is even shorter.
    I smell fail in the NDi... kinda like how the iPhone failed here.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]You can also only use .aac format sound files, and the web browser itself needs to be downloaded first (is not preset.)[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    Oh I'm not convince to buy DSi now...

Last edited:

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
    I think you should be able to transfer VC games from the Wii to your DSi. It'd be really nice to play Super Mario World and A Link To The Past on the go (remember, the DSi can't play GBA carts!).

I wouldn't bet on it, SNES emulation on the DS is pretty shakey at the moment, and I can't see it being improved terrificly much, not enough for emulated SNES games to actually be sold. In games you mention, such as Link to the Past, there are a lot of tile priority issues - Causing link to walk on top of arches, and disappear when he jumps. It's playable, but certainly not polished. There's also the issue of screen scaling, as the SNES ran at a higher resoloution than the DS. Although the current SnemulDS has some ingenious work arounds for this, such as squashing BG3 towards the center (Where the HUD and ingame text is normaly put), it still has too many errors to really work as a sellable product.

If you do see these games on a DSi virtual console, you'll be seing the GBA versions, not the SNES ones, and thus they will be non transferable from the Wii. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot to not include a GBA virtual cosnole if you ask me.

But stilll, no migration, no migration, and the batter doesn't cut it.

SethCullen

Catastrophe.
    Years
    This thing has my money. I want it badly. This thing just BEATS the psp Brutally. It has A Camera,TWO Cameras, Internet,Music and SD slot! Its amazing. Cant for get the shop channel :)

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Well i can see the reasoning behind being pissed about not being able to have a gba slot but i think nintendo is smart enough to realise that the mass pokemon communities will go on an outrage. I mean the us and europe ones will cause what will happen for pal parking in platinum if you have a dsi?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I bet they'll release older Pokémon games for GB/C/A a la virtual console then. Who knows, maybe if you have those, DPP will be able to pick them up from the SD card as if it were the GBA slot.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    Anyway... I do want to note that this is in fact the next DS (not just an updated redesign) if both screens are touchscreens like some places say then you won't be able to play these new games on the DS/Lite (just like you couldn't play GBC only games on the GB, or how GB games wouldn't fit the DS).
    No, it's not the next DS (it's an updated redesign).

I only heard about the two touch screen before the conference actually occurred. I haven't afterwards and everything I've read just points to it being a redesign. This isn't a very good press conference if we can't figure out what it is. XD
    The two touch screen thing is not true.

The whole "third pillar" thing is just Nintendo speak for "we want this to replace a current product". Like how the original DS was a third pillar and replaced the Game Boy.
    The original DS was not the third pillar, the DSi is the third pillar...

The DSi will be replacing the light, but to me it look like something inbetween a DS and a DS2. It has features that some people would probably like in the successor (I couldn't care less), but otherwise the hardware is identical. I still think of it as being like a Game Boy with a Game Boy Camera built in or a GBA with that media player thing built in.
    Because it's an upgrade, not a successor.

It just can't be a new platform. It's launch games are regular DS games (most likely since we're getting the games here before we get the DSi, so unless these game forwards compatible...). Makes no sense.
    It's not a new platform.
    .....my text in green.....

Last edited:
    Back