• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The OFFICIAL Gurren Lagann & Movie discussion thread!

warudo.kun!

I see what you did there.
Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2013
    Greetings everyone!

Now I have obviously made this thread for my love towards Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and their new film; Gurren-hen.

So what do you know about Gurren lagann? Do you love it? Who's your favorite character?

Share. Discuss. Etc.

BEGIN.

I'll start off by saying, "ROW ROW FITE THE POWA."

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I love the series. I personally have not seen the movie yet, but I'll watch it soon enough. All I can say is that manly tears were shed throughout the series. Poor Nia. :'(

Evilyn

Termination Bliss
    Years
  • Oh yeah, I saw it all. It ended up being one of my favourites. The story, music (Row! Row! Fight the Power! |D) and the characters were amazing. Especially Viral, that dude's sexy. Oh, and there are some pretty awesome quotes, like "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!". 8)

The end of the 8th episode brought me to tears though. But I guess that just had to happen for the story to move on and to make Simon grow up. If they just wouldn't get Nia in the story.. I never liked her, she was kind of too girly (I mean, she has flowers in her eyes >_<) and too much of a "princess" for my taste.

I pretty much liked most of the anime, except when so many characters died in the end. And I suppose the end was rather sad.

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
  • I watched the anime.. I didn't like it too much (not a mecha fan) but I loved the characters.
    I didn't know they even had a movie. o.o; Any good?

Evilyn

Termination Bliss
    Years
  • I didn't know they even had a movie. o.o; Any good?
    The movies are basically the whole anime series put together on two 2-hour long.. movies. You're not missing a lot if you don't watch it, really. It's like rewatching the anime, just that some scenes are cut off.

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    Well, to be quite honest, I was really disappointed by the movie. I was expecting an alternate retelling, or at least for the animation to be redone.
    All the advertisements and images on the official site made the whole thing look so epic, but it was just the old series that we've all already watched, plus some edited scenes.
    Let's see how this compares with the Eureka Seven movie. ):

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I re-watched the first half of the anime with a friend recently (or most of it, anyway) and then I watched the Gurren-hen movie the other week. The movie was pretty boring at first since it just grabbed scenes right from the anime but I loved the new stuff. The little travelling montage was hilarious and then the parts they changed up at the end were just epic.

Spoiler:

Overall the movie's not that great though, sadly. Only watch it if you haven't seen the actual series in a while because otherwise it's too repetitive to enjoy very much. Or skip through the already-seen parts and just watch the newer content. You'll save yourself an hour.

warudo.kun!

I see what you did there.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2013
    Not only is Lagann awesome. But it teaches us a lesson.

Not to ever give up.

Finnel

Years
  • Decent anime. Really nice animation, okay soundtrack, original ideas. Characters were pretty stereotypical, but I guess that's one of its charms.
    I wasn't too fond of it, though. I prefer serious plots in my mechas. Well, serious all the way from the beginning.

And some old acquaintance of mine used to constantly spam it on me, quote "epic XD" things from the series and force his opinion on me for the entire time it was airing on Japanese television. Kind of ruins your view of a show when people do that.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Decent anime. Really nice animation, okay soundtrack, original ideas. Characters were pretty stereotypical, but I guess that's one of its charms.
    I wasn't too fond of it, though. I prefer serious plots in my mechas. Well, serious all the way from the beginning.
    You'll notice the entire anime is practically a parody of the mecha genre so it takes all the stereotypes to the extremes, doesn't take itself seriously in the least, and goes way over the top with everything.

That's probably the only reason I liked it--I can't stand most mecha anime, tbh. :(

Andcetera

Jigglypuff~<333
    Years
  • Its been forever sents i talked bout TTGL.
    They are have a movie? -looks at other comments-
    u_u;
    anyways
    I was sorta obseessed of it last summer,not so much anymore ._.
    My fav character will always be Viral, hes my favorite little failure.

Mihael

Tara X willow=OTP
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2012
    I loved this series; it did all the cliches, but it did them very well.

Almost all of the characters were refreshing and likeable (Despised Nia and Old!Rossiu though)

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2009
    I'm surprised there isn't more fandom for this series, this is the single most epic shiz ive seen since Short Circut

Poreotix

WOW HE ASIAN!!!!!!!!!!
    Years
  • Theres a message in the series it tells you that not everything goes the way you want but it turns out ok in the end

RAcastBlaster

Steel-body Trainer
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 20, 2013
    I honestly can't wait to see it, I always welcome more epic Gurren Laggan-ing XD Honestly, I'm fairly convinced that I had a philosophy shock at the time. Between Gurren and TWEWY, I've quite honeslty found myself much more mellow and easygoing since then.

Back