• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Misty (Bring Her Back) Club !

Status
Not open for further replies.
...what?

How is he a 'bad influence', considering that he has consistently been the most responsible member of the group, knows how to cook, clean and look after the Pokemon and even treats them when they're ill?

Exactly, he did so much for Misty and Ash...I mean yeah he flirted with every girl he saw, but that is what made it funny...

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Exactly, he did so much for Misty and Ash...I mean yeah he flirted with every girl he saw, but that is what made it funny...

His... flirting with every girl... is EXACTLY the reason why I considered him to be a bad influence. It reminds me far too much of Charlie Harper, James Bond, and other womanizers. For me, I just try and stick with as few girls as possible in terms of relationships (so I can be faithful, and respect them.). I do NOT want to try and ask out every single girl possible, as I know that would make me no different than the people I listed above. I mean, just becase someone's straight DOESN'T mean they should jump on every girl like that. I know I don't.

Maybe it is meant to be funny, but then again, people considered the antics of what Jerry Springer does funny as well, and yet little kids mimic anything that happens on that show. Heck, if a little kid was exposed to "Two and a Half Men" (which was meant to be a situational comedy), you can guarantee that they can mimic absolutely every single antic that Charlie Harper and his family tried to do, or in the case of the girls, every single female on the show.

As for his cooking, Ash and Misty have gotten by well enough without Brock being with them in both the Viridian Forest episodes and the Orange Islands episodes (In the former, they never even met Brock yet. Yes, I know that the Viridian Forest episodes were technically two episodes, but going by what Ash said after arriving in Pewter City (Pikachu and I were together for two weeks), they had spent 13 days in Viridian Forest.), so that part was completely unnecessary.

There were also episodes where he completely forgot to get supplies (Here Comes the Squirtle Squad, Wake Up Snorlax, etc, etc.), plus he didn't seem to keep any food from the St. Anne as rations for when they were castaways. If I was supposed to be the most responsible member of MY group, I would have made absolute certain that I got everything we needed under any circumstances that we needed them. Responsibility also means you have to anticipate every possible negative scenario, even those less likely to happen, and be prepared to counter them.

Well, either way, it was just meant to be a one-line thing. I still think that Misty should rejoin the group either way.

BTW, Speaking of Misty, I discovered this on Wikipedia:

[edit] Critical reception
    The book The Japanification of Children's Popular Culture described Misty's portrayal in the anime as a mother figure, calling her a "nurturing component" for the original trio of herself, Ash and Brock.[9] It further described her as an "unusually 'complete' girl of the cartoon world", noting both her feminine sentimentality and her "explosive rage".[10] The book Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon stated that the anime focused on Ash, Misty was a distinctly significant character especially to young female consumers, neither "butch" nor "dizzily feminine", seemingly "carefully constructed to appeal to preadolescent girls".[11] It added that unlike other aggressive female characters in the series, Misty did not sacrifice her femininity to succeed, making the character further popular with young American women, a contrast to Japanese children who focused more on the individual Pokémon species to identify with.[12]

In studies on the reactions boys and girls had to the concept of Misty as a heroine in the series, girls accepted it and were eager to associate themselves with the character,[13][14] while boys attempted to belittle her efforts.[13] On the other hand, children of both genders felt the character alongside Brock gave Ash a sense of identity and moral support, which researchers attributed to the concept of group identity.[15] In another study, children were shown to associate the attributes of attractiveness and aggressiveness, while college students described the character as romantic.[16] Pikachu's Global Adventure additionally stated Misty also served as a source of non-threatening sexuality for both older and younger male viewers, though the context of such was presented in a more subtle for North American localizations of the series.[17]

9.^ West, Mark I. (2008). The Japanification of Children's Popular Culture. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 58. ISBN 0810851210.
    10.^ West, Mark I. (2008). The Japanification of Children's Popular Culture. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 78. ISBN 0810851210.
    11.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. p. 21. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    12.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. pp. 231-232, 282. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    13.^ a b Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. p. 176. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    14.^ Katch, Jane (2004). They Don't Like Me: Lessons on Bullying and Teasing from a Preschool Classroom. Beacon Press. ISBN 0807023213.
    15.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. pp. 169-170, 177. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    16.^ Ogletree, Shirley M.; Cristal N. Martinez, Trent R. Turner and Brad Mason (2004). "Pokémon: Exploring the Role of Gender". Sex Roles (Springer Netherlands) 50, Numbers 11-12 / June, 2004: 851-859. doi:10.1023/B:SERS.0000029102.66384.a2. ISSN (Print) 1573-2762 (Online) 0360-0025 (Print) 1573-2762 (Online).
    17.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. pp. 284. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.

Looks like Piplup and Duckgon Z were wrong in thinking that Misty wasn't even a female Protagonist or popular with the female fans because of her personality. I didn't necessarily think the male part was necessarily correct, since I'm male (and straight, not to mention), and I didn't even attempt to belittle her once even as a kid.

BTW, welcome to the club, BroKen.

Last edited:

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • long post

I wouldn't consider Brock's behaviour to be objectifying women. The whole thing is really more of a joke at Brock's expense - pointing out that he's something of a hopeless romantic, hence the way he always seems to make unecessarily flowery speeches whenever he sees a Joy/Jenny/anything remotely female.

And besides, Brock might not have been perfectly responsible in every episode, but how old is he really meant to be? I don't think its been said, but Bulbapedia estimated at 15, last time I checked. Considering he is almost certainly not much older than this, I'd say the level of responsibility he displays is pretty admirable, considering that he's looking after not only himself, but also two ten-year olds and a group of at least ten pokemon, most of the time.

Misty4Life

~Paired with a bribed shipper~
    Years
  • :shocked: Where has this club been all my life? I want in! I get to talk to people with real opinions on Misty, the new voice cast, etc. And I'm relieved to see that some people are still AAML. A lot of people on here seem to be going for Pearlshipping. Ugh. This is a club I have to join. Misty deserves to come back! (And Tracey needs to make some more appearances! I know he's where he belongs, but I love his character and would like to see him come back to the show for a few episodes.) Misty coming back for good is the only thing in this universe that would cause me to watch all the episodes up until the series she's in. I've watched very little of seasons 9-11. I usually just read the summaries for the episodes so that I don't have to bear through those new voices. The old ones captured every character's personality so well. (Misty, Ash, May, Tracey, Brock, and especially Team Rocket! The list goes on and on.)

Sorry, I just had to rant. :nervous:

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • Maybe it is meant to be funny, but then again, people considered the antics of what Jerry Springer does funny as well, and yet little kids mimic anything that happens on that show.

Whoa whoa whoa Weedle! Slow down! There's a difference between the clean comedy of Brock's flirting and Jerry Springer which is kind of racy.

I'm going to regret saying this but there's going to be a Togepi appearance in a few episodes. Let the speculation begin.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Whoa whoa whoa Weedle! Slow down! There's a difference between the clean comedy of Brock's flirting and Jerry Springer which is kind of racy.

A difference that sadly seems to be disappearing. Besides, Two and a Half men's jokes still seemed far too similar to Brock's gag. I was disgusted with the show for the jokes they made, and one of my family's friends, who owns a christian shop called "Mary's Garden", also shared the same opinion as me, and to a lesser extent, my parents when she saw the show. I saw his case as being no different than the case of two and a half men. I never liked it when girls are objectified, I've been taught that that's wrong by my parents and my faith.

I'm going to regret saying this but there's going to be a Togepi appearance in a few episodes. Let the speculation begin.

Yeah, I heard, and apparantly, this Togepi ain't the same kind of togepi as Misty's togepi was on the show (Well, ok, it's description was probably based off of fan controversy over the character, as it's labelled as the "Worst Togepi of History".). Well, Misty might end up appearing along with Togetic in this episode, and maybe Togetic evolves into Togekiss, thus giving us our Togekiss Debut.

mistywishmaker

such a thing as f o r e v e r
    Years
  • Ahhh I'm glad this thread is still alive :]

I hope I am able to post more this year and bring some Misty fanarts for you guys :]]

Let's ease the tension in this thread a bit. We're suppose to fellow supporters of Misty, not rivals, guys :D

Beautiful Misty ^^

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Ahhh I'm glad this thread is still alive :]

I hope I am able to post more this year and bring some Misty fanarts for you guys :]]

Let's ease the tension in this thread a bit. We're suppose to fellow supporters of Misty, not rivals, guys :D

Beautiful Misty ^^

Hey, I view all of you guys as friends and comrades, not rivals. I also tried to explain some things in my posts, so as to lessen any chance in fighting.

And I agree, Misty is... beautiful, but I don't care for beauty. I believe in Misty because of her potential, and her being a good role model.

Speaking of which, MistyWishMaker, I think there's something that might interest you in regards to Misty's critical acclaim, and further proof that Misty being removed was definitely a big mistake:

[edit] Critical reception
    The book The Japanification of Children's Popular Culture described Misty's portrayal in the anime as a mother figure, calling her a "nurturing component" for the original trio of herself, Ash and Brock.[9] It further described her as an "unusually 'complete' girl of the cartoon world", noting both her feminine sentimentality and her "explosive rage".[10] The book Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon stated that the anime focused on Ash, Misty was a distinctly significant character especially to young female consumers, neither "butch" nor "dizzily feminine", seemingly "carefully constructed to appeal to preadolescent girls".[11] It added that unlike other aggressive female characters in the series, Misty did not sacrifice her femininity to succeed, making the character further popular with young American women, a contrast to Japanese children who focused more on the individual Pokémon species to identify with.[12]

In studies on the reactions boys and girls had to the concept of Misty as a heroine in the series, girls accepted it and were eager to associate themselves with the character,[13][14] while boys attempted to belittle her efforts.[13] On the other hand, children of both genders felt the character alongside Brock gave Ash a sense of identity and moral support, which researchers attributed to the concept of group identity.[15] In another study, children were shown to associate the attributes of attractiveness and aggressiveness, while college students described the character as romantic.[16] Pikachu's Global Adventure additionally stated Misty also served as a source of non-threatening sexuality for both older and younger male viewers, though the context of such was presented in a more subtle for North American localizations of the series.[17]

9.^ West, Mark I. (2008). The Japanification of Children's Popular Culture. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 58. ISBN 0810851210.
    10.^ West, Mark I. (2008). The Japanification of Children's Popular Culture. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 78. ISBN 0810851210.
    11.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. p. 21. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    12.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. pp. 231-232, 282. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    13.^ a b Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. p. 176. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    14.^ Katch, Jane (2004). They Don't Like Me: Lessons on Bullying and Teasing from a Preschool Classroom. Beacon Press. ISBN 0807023213.
    15.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. pp. 169-170, 177. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    16.^ Ogletree, Shirley M.; Cristal N. Martinez, Trent R. Turner and Brad Mason (2004). "Pokémon: Exploring the Role of Gender". Sex Roles (Springer Netherlands) 50, Numbers 11-12 / June, 2004: 851-859. doi:10.1023/B:SERS.0000029102.66384.a2. ISSN (Print) 1573-2762 (Online) 0360-0025 (Print) 1573-2762 (Online).
    17.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. pp. 284. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.

Last edited:

Semidos

Misty Fan Forever
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    Yeah, I heard, and apparantly, this Togepi ain't the same kind of togepi as Misty's togepi was on the show.
    Exactly, Togepi always was nice pokemon. Why this one is the worst? I must see this episode.

Misty is... beautiful, but I don't care for beauty.
    I don't care either. I love Misty, because she has unique character. I want to bring her back, because I'm Pokeshipper. And I want to see Misty with Ash again.

Misty4Life

~Paired with a bribed shipper~
    Years
  • It's good to have you back MWM! Here's a picture I adore of Misty very much :) to help ease the tension as well!

What a lovely picture...

Anyway, why can't you care for beauty and her personality? Her amazing personality is definitly the main reason I love her, but I appreciate her beauty as well. I wouldn't go so far to say that I don't care for beauty at all.

I'm so happy to be welcomed here. I'll try to post as much as I can. :D

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    What a lovely picture...

Anyway, why can't you care for beauty and her personality? Her amazing personality is definitly the main reason I love her, but I appreciate her beauty as well. I wouldn't go so far to say that I don't care for beauty at all.

I'm so happy to be welcomed here. I'll try to post as much as I can. :D

The Picture is definitely good.

Who says I didn't care about her personality? Her personality is the exact reason why I'm absolutely loyal to her, especially considering how she didn't act like the Fiorello Fangirls at all in Princess Vs. Princess.

I try to avoid superficiality or liking a girl solely for their looks or their body, so consequentally, looks aren't a factor for loyalty or love or feelings for a female. In fact, having straight guys being portrayed as people who say "I like Boobies" or being babe-hounds or something like that seems insulting to me.

Well, either way, welcome to the club, and hope you try to help us bring Misty back.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • Man, that picture from Bisafans.de, I love it. That's one of my favorite Misty pictures. I like how she's all badarse in it.

Oh and there's a new Pokesho Misty image, in fact Soara went out and did a collage of her. However, her breasts are bare in most of the picture so in order to have been allowed to post it here, I had to white-out the bad stuff. Still, it's a nice picture.
    Oh yeah and the bottom right corner was just flat out creepy.
    Misty

Bagel

Live Long, laugh forever
    Years
  • Why would anyone not want MIsty back. she was the best partner, ash ever had. As for Brock being a flirt, how the hell would that remind you of james bond? yah he's a flirt but in a sensible way.

If your a misty supporter Join my club.

Misty Fan Club. you can find it on my profile.

Edit: that pic.. no words for that. why would anyone want to make Misty so exsplict.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back