• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official PokéCommunity Shipping Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
They had hundreds of people standing on hours on end to see them. That sounds like "a lot" to me, though not a majority, nor "most". I guess you would know better than me, seeing as you live there. I'm only relying on information from the news, which of course, isn't always accurate.

There are royalists, anti-royalists, and people in between who don't care either way. A lot of people dislike them as they basically live off of tax payers money for being born into the family, or want Britain to be a republic state. There are a lot of people who like them for representing and being a part of our culture and history. Other people just don't think they play a role in our day-to-day life and just generally feel disconnected from them. What I mean is, not everyone here absolutely loves the royal family like the outside view seems to be.

I wonder if the media coverage is a chicken-or-the-egg of sorts? Does the media only care because people do and they can sell their wares? Or people only care because the intrigue behind the high-profile attention it received?

Of course~ There has to be a lot of uncertainty in working out what will interest readers and viewers the most, in general. Our perception of the outside world is created by what we will choose to read or listen to. Readers of The Sun are going to have a different view of events from readers of The Guardian about the same story. To your question, it works both ways, I think. The media makes people care, but also the people can sometimes affect coverage. I could really go on here, but...@~@ They are part of the royal family, and whether you like, dislike or don't care about them, everyone knows them -worldwide- so it's a great opportunity for a story.

Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but what does the royal family actually do now? I thought most political decisions are made by the government. Do they give the final okay or something? It seems as though the monarchy is like an ornament rather than something that is essential.

Basically, they're used for creating relations with other countries/people/organisations, do royal visits, and bring in a lot of money from tourism. Some participate in charities and such. Parliament makes decisions "on the Queen's behalf" although she has no real power; the Queen is a constitutional monarch. As for matters of tradition, the Queen is the one who formally opens parliament at the start of the new session, and dissolves parliament before a general election (the Prime Minister has to get her permission to do so). When a new party is elected, the leader of the party has to meet the Queen where the Queen could, technically, refuse them as the new Prime Minister, although that has never happened. Bills have to have a Royal Assent to become law, but she has never refused. The Prime Minister meets with the Queen reguarly (sometimes phone calls though) to discuss political matters, but those are kept confidential and the Queen remains politically neutral publicly. She isn't allowed to vote or stand for election.

...That's probably a super simplified version though @~@ So yeah, basically what she does is through formalities and tradition since her powers have been taken away by previous bills and acts.

You also get a birthday card from the Queen when you're 100. XD If there's one reason you want to keep on living...

I, myself, watched the wedding and enjoyed it~ I like that the royal family is a part of our culture.

...I wrote too much.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
You guys are stirring my cup of tea with this discussion. XD Though I'd love to be a part of it, this is not the right place for those discussions.

^ That means you didn't have to post that essay?

Media does intend to blow up anything, especially when it comes to these magnets. The British folk mostly don't care now because it's a holiday, but centuries before, they were forced to care or "off with their heads".

The monarchy has nothing to do with government business. They really are the backseaters. Only what's important now is holding the country and its dominions together from collapse. Interestingly, this is different from other royal families in Europe as those are "just for show" and not do anything.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
There is ALWAYS need for an unnecessary essay that no one will read.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
Years
...I wrote too much.

I didn't mind. Thank you! It was a very interesting read. I mean, now I feel bad because I could have gone and researched myself, but I'm glad you were kind enough to explain everything for me. I'm interested in the details now, so off to Google I go~ =)

You also get a birthday card from the Queen when you're 100. XD If there's one reason you want to keep on living...

Wow! Looks like I'll have to get healthy now in hopes of living a while.

I, myself, watched the wedding and enjoyed it~ I like that the royal family is a part of our culture.

Speaking of English culture, I also love their history. I really like learning about the rules, origins, etc. or the nobility ranks and about the actual royals themselves. Australia is technically under the Queen, but obviously she doesn't jet to Australia and bark directives. All we get to really learn is whom Prince William decided to marry. Which is sad, because England is a significant part of our 200 years of our colonisational history.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
One day, Ash and some girl kissed the end :D

Kidding, I don't support shipping...

The only shipping I know that's true is Marina and Jimmy (if you watch Legend of Raikou, they sort of admit it) and Vincent and Marina (but I'm not sure if Marina likes Vincent).

It's approved by Bulbapedia...

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
Years
No offence, but I don't regard Bulbapedia credible when it comes to their pairings stuff. Some of the things they list down as hints aren't necessarily romantic, but I guess they have to fill in the blanks for both sides of the argument to stay neutral. Admittedly, Jimmy x Marina hold a lot more canonical water than most of the other popular pairings.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
^ Some angry shiptrolls remove most hints listed too which is annoying...

CommanderPigg

Dento used bishie sparkles!
Years
Haha, NO place is a credible source for shipping. Basically, what fan sites and bulbapedia does is list down meta-hints, which aren't really verified by canon (like if someone saved your life that could be considered a "shippy scene" because it looked cute). Really in pokemon, there hasn't been much explicit romances/crushes bar Contestshipping and maybe pokeshipping in the beginning (even though it was de-bunked by a head writer, Shudo). And yeah...open source stuff is always subject to trolling/inaccuracies ^^;

I like looking at them because for a shipper, you get what you can take :P and they help me find scenes for my amvs

Two places that I think have good lists is this one for ikarishipping and this place for a very extensive pictoral list for Rocketshipping.

Last edited:

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
Years
Some angry shiptrolls remove most hints listed too which is annoying...

LOL. I can imagine fangirls doing that!

Haha, NO place is a credible source for shipping.

Definitely. People whom usually start a pairing page tend to like the pairing, anyway. The hints are certainly amusing to look at, but they shouldn't be taken to gospel- and as Commander pointed out, there haven't been many explicitly romantic scenes. It's a young boy's show, and they don't care about those things as much.

...I must go to my most valuable point- if a pairing doesn't have enough bishie sparkles, then it ain't worth it. X)

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
Nutella said:
Speaking of English culture, I also love their history. I really like learning about the rules, origins, etc. or the nobility ranks and about the actual royals themselves. Australia is technically under the Queen, but obviously she doesn't jet to Australia and bark directives. All we get to really learn is whom Prince William decided to marry. Which is sad, because England is a significant part of our 200 years of our colonisational history.

I love their history too. More than the French or other countries. Yeah, colonization due to the fact it was a place for all the convicts and outlaws. -_-

Bulbapedia isn't the place to look for the shipping list for canon hints. It's neutral due to the fact it's supposed to be an encylopedia, so they just have information as facts, trivia, etc.

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012
^ Some angry shiptrolls remove most hints listed too which is annoying...
If any hints were stripped, they were either returned, or they were deemed appropriately removed. If you're annoyed by their ways, you're probably butthurt (for lack of a more technical term; y'all should know me and technical) that your ship has "hints" they didn't think was viable, which likely means they were shallow and inconclusive. Everything there is subjective, they know it, and they try to keep it as encyclopedic as possible (like Ruby said). They do, however, try to get as close to canon as possible, which is why their hints also come double-sided (in a way of speaking).

Think of it as material to be used more for debating, not personal satisfaction of d'awwwwsocute. That's what fansites are for, and why stuff you'll find on fansites is much different than what you might find on Bulbapedia.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
^ I wasn't being serious, so don't worry. ^^'

064bq.jpg

Stole Brocks pose. :O (Satoshi is always clueless when it comes to stuff like this. xD)

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012

064bq.jpg

Stole Brocks pose. :O (Satoshi is always clueless when it comes to stuff like this. xD)
It was hard to tell, since that has happened. 8O Okay~

...Cilan/Cottonee, y/y? Since that pose isn't for Iris.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
Years
Haha, NO place is a credible source for shipping. Basically, what fan sites and bulbapedia does is list down meta-hints, which aren't really verified by canon (like if someone saved your life that could be considered a "shippy scene" because it looked cute). Really in pokemon, there hasn't been much explicit romances/crushes bar Contestshipping and maybe pokeshipping in the beginning (even though it was de-bunked by a head writer, Shudo). And yeah...open source stuff is always subject to trolling/inaccuracies ^^;

I like looking at them because for a shipper, you get what you can take :P and they help me find scenes for my amvs

Two places that I think have good lists is this one for ikarishipping and this place for a very extensive pictoral list for Rocketshipping.
Hey thanks for sharing the Rocketshippy website! It's a pretty nice one!

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
Man I missed a lot.

064bq.jpg

Of course he stole Brocks pose Dento much more fabulous then he is. I love how Satoshi had no clue on what's going on. I don't think he even knows much about romance. It reminds me like in DP how Dawn knew about it in one episode as Ash was like "....." Ash you need to look into the world of romance then maybe you can figure out that there are girls out there that like you.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016

Of course he stole Brocks pose Dento much more fabulous then he is. I love how Satoshi had no clue on what's going on. I don't think he even knows much about romance. It reminds me like in DP how Dawn knew about it in one episode as Ash was like "....." Ash you need to look into the world of romance then maybe you can figure out that there are girls out there that like you.
Pretty much agree with you completely, remember Anabel? Heh, she obviously had a crush on him and he was so clueless, they even thought she was a boy. xD

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2016
Pretty much agree with you completely, remember Anabel? Heh, she obviously had a crush on him and he was so clueless, they even thought she was a boy. xD

Well, I don't even think Brock or May noticed that she had a crush on Ash, of all things you'd think they would have. Some one clearly has to do what Macey did and just out right and tell himXD

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
Years
...Cilan/Cottonee, y/y? Since that pose isn't for Iris.

I would have cried if it was, lol. ANYBODY but Iris!

EDIT: Just finished watching the episode, and her "kodomo ne" comment actually had relevance. =O

Of course he stole Brocks pose Dento much more fabulous then he is.
Yep. *Nods in approval* Dent suits that pose just fine. ♥

Dudes, like it or not, this show is for male kids. There won't be any KAWAII romance any time soon. They don't care about that stuff. Thankfully, we have fan fiction to sort that problem out, but...

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
ZeroX5 said:
As for Iris, since every main girl in the series has had someone crush on them or they themselves show a interest in someone...it's only a matter of time for her. Of course, she might also be the exception to the rule as well. As for right now, her only available option is Ash but a rival could always show up down the line.

Who's gonna like Iris? :P She's nothing but a bratty village girl. Amirite?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Who's gonna like Iris? :P She's nothing but a bratty village girl. Amirite?

I would

You suck, Rubs ;_;

Omg, I googled negaishipping on Google Images and some French Pokemon shipping site has my old banner with no credit to me >__> silly French people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back