• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    In Pearl, I have three shinies that are legit; Tyranitar, Hitmontop and Exploud. I got the Tyranitar as a Larivitar from the GTS, I migrated the Exploud from Emerald and I caught the Hitmontop with the pokeradar from a chain of only two Tyrogue.

Bela

Banned
    Years
    My only legit shiny was a Graveler I encountered when Buck was with me in Stark Mountain--a Graveler which has the ability to use Selfdestruct.

So I had to kill the other wild Pokemon, Buck's Pokemon, and try and catch the Graveler without it ever using Selfdestruct.

I caught it. =D

Years
    I got a shiny rattata in my Fire Red. Only shiny I've ever caught or even seen in any pokemon game. So I made it a FEAR to trick some unsuspecting friends. XD

Ion2814

The Torch Bearer
    Years
    Ok, I've heard that it is impossible to get a Shiny pokemon as a mystery gift, is this true? Though this isn't a mystery gift, I have personally obtained a shiny WSHMKR Jirachi from the Pokemon Stadium Bonus disc, isn't this the same principle as the mystery gift?

Moskau

Oh, dear...
    Years
    The only Shiny I ever found and caught was Mellie, my adorable female shiny Starly! ♥

Haha, only one, but she's special. :)

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2023
    I got my first shiny. Finally!!!! It is an awesome modest natured shiny Shinx!!!!! Yay!!!!!

Mutt19

Kill confuse ray not golbat
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2010
    all I can remember is a wingull and a machoke which I traded for a milotic

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    How is it easier to hatch shiny Pokemon in the Japanese games?

It is not easier on a particular game; however, it is easier if you breed with International parents, e.g. Japanese Pikachu with English Skitty.

Typically, the chance of hatching a shiny is 1/8192.

With the International breeding method, referred to as the Masuda Method (this game director mentioned the new feature in his blog in order to facilitate use of the GTS), the chance of hatching a shiny is 1/2048.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    It is not easier on a particular game; however, it is easier if you breed with International parents, e.g. Japanese Pikachu with English Skitty.

Typically, the chance of hatching a shiny is 1/8192.

With the International breeding method, referred to as the Masuda Method (this game director mentioned the new feature in his blog in order to facilitate use of the GTS), the chance of hatching a shiny is 1/2048.

Is this all you have to do, because I heard somewhere else you need to change the game clock too? Sorry I just heard about this Masuda thing recently, and i've always wanted a shiny.

I've been trying to chain up to 40 and so far my highest is 16, but i'm gonna keep trying.

Another question, once you get up to 40 and reset the radar, when you walk into a shiny patch is it possible to continue a chain of shinies and catch multiple ones of the same poke?

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Ok, I've heard that it is impossible to get a Shiny pokemon as a mystery gift, is this true? Though this isn't a mystery gift, I have personally obtained a shiny WSHMKR Jirachi from the Pokemon Stadium Bonus disc, isn't this the same principle as the mystery gift?
    The 'shiny block' only applies to Mystery Gifts in 4th gen games. 3rd generation games had no such check. The check also only applies to Pokémon you get directly from the person in the Mart, such as TRU Arceus and the Manaphy Egg. Pokémon caught using 'tickets' such as Oak's Letter can be shiny.
    Technically, the Manaphy Egg can actually be shiny if you trade it; this is because its trainer ID changes when it hatches. The shiny check is carried out before the trainer ID is changed (a mistake on Game Freak's part :P).

I wasn't sure on whether you could get shiny Wishmaker Jirachi; thanks for confirming it :)
    Is this all you have to do, because I heard somewhere else you need to change the game clock too? Sorry I just heard about this Masuda thing recently, and i've always wanted a shiny.

I've been trying to chain up to 40 and so far my highest is 16, but i'm gonna keep trying.

Another question, once you get up to 40 and reset the radar, when you walk into a shiny patch is it possible to continue a chain of shinies and catch multiple ones of the same poke?
    Changing the game clock is to do with the RNG method. The Masuda method works fine without changing the clock.
    It's possible to continue the chain after catching a shiny; I've heard of someone catching over 100 shinies in the same chain :O

Years
    I'm using the Masuda method for a shiny charmander right now. Is it more time efficient to hatch 5 eggs in one go or to release each hatch one at a time and pick up another egg?

Ambient

FC - 3438 3267 6705
    Years
    I've chained around 10 pokemon so far and have gotten 10 shinys. However I read somewhere on a chaining guide that chaining mansion pokemon is harder than regular pokemon. Can anybody clarify this and if its true can anyone tell me why? I just want to chain an Evee thats in the mansion.

It's harder because the area of grass is far smaller and it's therefore more difficult to avoid the edges.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2010
    I've chained around 10 pokemon so far and have gotten 10 shinys. However I read somewhere on a chaining guide that chaining mansion pokemon is harder than regular pokemon. Can anybody clarify this and if its true can anyone tell me why? I just want to chain an Evee thats in the mansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back