• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    It was a Shellos East in my Japanese Pearl. Then I got a Shiny Roselia two days later. @_@

They're both gone now, because I stupidly reset my game with the mind-set that, "Oh, I will find more!"

>___>;

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    Was on gts even thou i hate it and put up a level 47 giratina for a rayquaza any level.So i go back later today to check and i have been found a trade and to my eyes the rayquaza was a shiny.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
    Three months ago i buy a new DS, i started to play and was near pal park, i say let's go run in the grass and see what pokemon come out and OMG, it was a shiny Skuntank. I quickly caught it =)

Years
    Today, I was playing on my Platinum for the first time in ages and was walking through the grass in the route above Sandgem Town, to see what Pokemon were there, when I came across a Shinx and was about to flee when I noticed it was Shiny. I quickly caught it since it was my first shiny on Platinum.
    I was pretty excited.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    Today, I was playing on my Platinum for the first time in ages and was walking through the grass in the route above Sandgem Town, to see what Pokemon were there, when I came across a Shinx and was about to flee when I noticed it was Shiny. I quickly caught it since it was my first shiny on Platinum.
    I was pretty excited.
    Congrats on the Shiny Shinx!

Hatched a Shiny male, adamant Buneary with Switcheroo and Fake Out. Unfortunately, it does not have Klutz, so I have to breed another. :(

Spoiler:

Woo! Just hatched a Shiny Quirky Buneary with Klutz, Switcheroo, and Fake Out! Even better is that it's female!

Spoiler:

Hurray for RNG!

Last edited:

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    There are multiple ways to get shinies.

1. Random encounter of course.
    2. PokeRadar (See spoiler for a very short tutorial)
    3. Masuda Method

The Masuda Method is where you breed a Pokemon from one language game with a different one. For example, breeding an English Persian with a Japanese Persian would raise the chances of getting a shiny from 1/8192 to 1/2048!

4. RNG Abuse. This is the process of abusing the game's random number generator (the thing that controls nature, IVs, gender, shinyness, etc) to make a shiny appear (you can also control the nature and gender.) However this is time consuming it sometimes it doesn't work. Also, this is completely legit as it requires no use of a cheat device.

PokeRadar tutorial:
    Spoiler:

Hatched two Shiny Feebas today, a Sassy one and Modest one. The modest one is now a level 3 Milotic :3

Sassy:
    Spoiler:

Modest:
    Spoiler:

Now to chain me some Doduo :D

O___O I was chaining Bidoof on an emulator to get the shiny patch on video for people to see it, and when I was resetting at 40, I got 3 shiny patches to come up at one time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK5rffjVPss

Spoiler:

Just caught two shiny Doduo. One at 40 and one at 41. My current chain is at 46.

Spoiler:

Well, I only ended up getting two. But, it broke at 107! O__O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10yu-MUW0OY

Spoiler:

Currently I have a chain of 23 Farfetch'd.

Caught a Shiny Farfetch'd at 38.

At 40. Time to get a second shiny one.

Caught a second Shiny Farfetch'd at 40.

Broke at 41. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37YLWVtxFNQ

Spoiler:

Hatched a shiny Cherubi

Spoiler:

Hatched three Shiny Burmys. I needed to get one of each gender, but while trying to get a female one I had the opportunity to get a male one very quickly, so now I have two male ones and a female.

Spoiler:

Here is the video for both: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCR1esRMYRY

Hatched a shiny Tentacool to replace the one I found on an HG rom that I lost. :(

Spoiler:

Hatched a shiny Snorlax, used the wrong item to get a Munchlax. XD

Spoiler:

Hatched a shiny Magby.

Spoiler:

Hatched a shiny Scorupi.

Spoiler:

AOSJFOAJSFOAJFAOJSFOASJFASOFAOSFJA!!! I was RNGing for a shiny Murkrow, but I found out I did the wrong option while doing it, so it wasn't going to work because one of the Pokemon I was using was from another region (i.e. I wasn't supposed to get a shiny.) Well, when the egg hatched, it was a Shiny Murkrow! I JUST GOT A MASUDA METHOD SHINY!!! <333333333

Spoiler:

The rest I don't care about, because they aren't special.

Last edited:

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    whoa!!! i've got a ton of shinys! never counted them all until this moment :)

via pokeradar chain:

• absol (of course!)
    • geodude (x2)
    • larvitar
    • machop (x4)
    • tyrogue
    • nincada
    • farfetched (x3)
    • mightyena
    • pacharisu
    • shinx
    • murkrow
    • voltorb (x3)
    • mareep (x4)
    • corsola (x2)
    • aron (x4)
    • nosepass (x2)
    • ralts (x3)
    • elekid
    • doduo (x2)
    • minun (x2)
    • magnemite (x4)
    • electrike (x2)
    • pineco
    • krabby (x2)
    • pichu (x4)
    • beldum
    • weedle (x3)
    • trapinch
    • zigzagoon
    • budew (x3)
    • wooper

via random encounter:

• tentacool
    • tangela
    • cherubi

via RNG:

• feebas
    • onyx
    • heracross
    • yanma
    • charmander
    • qilfish
    • combee
    yes, i had a ton of free time on my hands...

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    I still have not found any shinies. However, my chaining skills are improving, I think.
    My highest chain now is 12 Tyrogue, compared to 7 Bidoof that's a good improvement.
    Also, it would've gone higher, were it not for one tricky gamble I took.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Here are the experiences I have with shinies:
    -I was running around in the Cave of Origin out of boredom until I saw a brown Sableye. Back then, I didn't know shinies existed, so I freaked out and ran from the Sableye.
    -In FireRed I ran into a Shellder while fishing in Vermilion City and LeafGreen a Machop in Mt. Ember. I ran from them because I already had those Pokemon (in their non-shiny forms). Since that day, I learned to catch a shiny even if I have their non-shiny counterpart
    -While running around Fiery Path in Emerald, I ran into a shiny Koffing. Excited, I battled and caught it. It still resides in the Emerald cartridge.
    -In my first Diamond playthrough, I ran into a shiny Geodude and succeeded in catching it. It's gone now, replaced by a new playthrough.
    -I caught 4 shinies in Platinum. (Roselia on Route 208, Sneasel in Acuity Lakefront, Marill in Route 215 and a hatched Chansey, evolved into Blissey) I lost these shinies when I lost my Platinum and HG games in an airport.
    -I was SRing for a Timid Mewtwo with good IVs and a Timid Nature in Cerulean Cave. After the 3rd reset, it came up shiny. When I caught it (I Master Balled it), it was Timid, but the IVs were a bit to be desired, so I kept it. I lost it for the very same reason stated above.
    -I was surfing around Route 47 for a Seel to catch, when I bumped into a shiny Tentacool. Excited like the shiny Koffing encounter, I battled and caught it. Its nature wasn't good (Quiet), but its IVs were decent; I kept it.

So yeah, those are my shiny experiences. I have owned 7 shinies, lost 5, and currently own 2.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2011
    Poke radar Statics

Longest Chain:
    Amount of shiny's:
    67 (All Legit).
    Favourite shiny's:
    Ralts (61 Chain)
    Kirlia (40 Chain)
    Gardevoir (44 Chain)
    ^^ Started with ralts and evolved ;)
    Soft Reset Completed:
    Soft Reset Pokemon:
    Palkia,Giratina,Uxie,Dialga,Mewtwo,Zapdos,Moltres,Articuno,Lugia,Ho-oh,Charmander,Mudkip,Totodile,Chimchar,Suicune And Kyogre.​

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
    Years
    Today I rng'd a Shiny Jolly Hoppip and Shiny Adamant Sandshrew :D PM if you're interested in trading shiny for shiny. I'm planning on rng'ing a shiny eevee and shiny feebas. Just traded over a Japanese Ditto from my other game. Wish me luck! And good luck to everyone looking for shinies too! I also have a Shiny Torchic and Shiny Chimchar!

Rando

Lives to Eat
    Years
    The very first shiny I caught was a Noctowl in Crystal. I then caught a shiny Gastly not long after that. My first chained Pokemon in Platinum was a Shinx and a Bagon. I'm still working on trying to get more.. but it's so frustrating! XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2010
    The fist i caught was an Miltank in Emerald in safari zone i just hoped it wouldn't flee and i didn't caught it. Shortly after that i caught a shiny Carvanha when looking for a Feebas.
    Then in Pearl i chained after a Staravia didn't take long too get it either. For a month ago i tested the Masuda method too get a shiny Gible and it worked took about 80eggs but worth it. Then totally random i was fooling around with Cranidos mold breaker figuring out how it works test EQ on flying Pokemon duh fail on my side and a shiny Starly shows up and catches it.

Silver Metagross

Better than blue.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2010
    My shiny count is unbelievably low for someone who has played through all Pokemon games since Gen. II. My first was a shiny Starly found on Route 201 in my first play of Pokemon Diamond. It was in fact the first Gen. IV Pokemon I caught. Later, I went back to my old GBA games to get older Pokemon. I then was lucky enough to get a Shiny Wynaut from the Egg the old lady in Lavaridge gives you. It was PINK! And that is it. I mustn't be very lucky but I plan on SRing for shiny Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza as I have their normal versions. Shiny Regi's would be nice too. Maybe a Mewtwo as well? How long does it normally take to SR for shiny legendaries?

Silver Metagross

Better than blue.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2010
    I just found a shiny Venonat in the Kanto Safari Zone in LeafGreen.... Now I've evolved it and its part of my team. A blue Venomoth.

Back