• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

Beco

That guy...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2012
    I never really searched for shiny Pokémon, but somehow I always end up seeing/catching a female shiny Graveler, I found one in Gold, Ruby and in Pearl. And the bad thing is that that's the only one I've ever encountered.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    The chance is always the same, since the shiny formula is the same in all games. They couldn't change the shiny rate without messing up compatibility with D/P.

But yes, just like Emerald, the RNG is exploitable.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    Abusing the game's RNG is the same as Cheating, IMO.

I'll stick to obtaining my shinies through chaining..

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2009
    once i restarted my game, it was pearl, i think, and the second pokemon i met after i got some pokeballs was a shiny bidoof. and i couldnt save cause i hadnt deleted my old save file >_>

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    Except it isn't. If it can be done within the confines of the game, it's NOT CHEATING.

You can clone in the GTS (though not in Platinum), yet still many people consider it cheating. In-game does not make it cheating. There is no clear line between cheating and not cheating when it comes to exploitable in-game coding.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I actually think this is true...

because I never EVER found a shiny in my whole freaking life and I found a Shiny Zubat after I got Roark back to the Gym @~@.

I never saw that coming. Maybe it could be confirmed once some hax0rd hacks the game.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    I actually think this is true...

because I never EVER found a shiny in my whole freaking life and I found a Shiny Zubat after I got Roark back to the Gym @~@.

I never saw that coming. Maybe it could be confirmed once some hax0rd hacks the game.

I agree with you on that. XD

I do believe the rumor is true. Right when I begin the game, I encounter a shiny Shinx in the wild. I caught it, raised it, etc. I was never able to find shiny Pokemon THAT easily and quickly.

Years
    I agree with you on that. XD

I do believe the rumor is true. Right when I begin the game, I encounter a shiny Shinx in the wild. I caught it, raised it, etc. I was never able to find shiny Pokemon THAT easily and quickly.

I think that in both cases that were mentioned are just you guys getting lucky, I mean, getting a shiny isn't impossible, and you just happend to get it early, I've finished Platinum, and have been finished for a while, and haven't seen a shiny yet.

Q-Bone

Musician and Pixel Artist
    Years
    It's just a coincidence that many people here have encountered a Shiny in a short period of time. If you say it's true, you need evidence.

§

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2009
    Don't you hate it when you are chaining a shiny and you find one but you realize you forgot your Synchronizer?

So I was chaining a shiny Adamant Absol. For the 1 billionth time. I always get Mild or Modest. NO, I WANT ADAMANT. So I went to Route whatever and found one. It was Hasty. So, I was all mad and flew back to the Fight Area. Guess what? I forgot my Adamant Umbreon. T_T

as2

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2009
    I finally got around to learning how to chain, and I caught a shiny Sudowoodo and Ponyta! Ponyta is pretty.... :)

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
    I've been SRing for a Giratina forever :(

-Threatens you with the power of the revered P O K e S A V -

To the earlier post, if cheating is unlabeled on to methods which
    do things within the game's boundaries, RNG is immediately crossed out.
    For christ's sake, first of all, you need a ROM (or AR). Second of all,
    you need Pokesav to find the secret ID (or AR, maybe?).
    Thirdly, you need a few programs from the good ole' computer,
    one being the RNG device itself, and an IV calculator.

IV raising would be considered since the game doesn't include
    an IV calculator (just a normal one...)

Anyway, I tried it, but I could never get any
    results when I press "Find", for those of you who know
    what I'm speaking of. It's such an arduous task to get a
    legit shiny egg. the temptations of PokeSav... -drools-

Years
    They are but not purposely. There is a glitch in the RNG that allows for eggs to have a 1/1 shiny ratio. Besides that, anyone can get a shiny early on or right when they get the game. It's this strange thing no one has heard before called "luck." And chaining existed in D/P.

Chimpoleon

CAUTION! Roadblock Ahead...
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2010
    i'm not sure i've ever had a shiny, i'm not really into searching.

Back