• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The old days.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Discuss the old days of webmastering in this here topic. WL kills it 99.99999% of the time.

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
  • There were a lot more webmasters back then, thats for sure. I started making websites 5 years ago in march, which i think is a really long time. Back then Pokemon Palace and serebii took most hits but since PPN closed down, all the other sites started getting hits.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2014
    PokeMasters was the largest site ever and no site has beat the amount of hits it used to get even today.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
  • The old days had less noobs and more people that talked more than ****. :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    I'm sure not one of those n00bs. It runs on the family for me being awesome as a webmaster.

aRedMoon

Years
  • Ah, gotta love life.

I let most of my sites die (jk.net... :() and am now only working on one... but it's so much easier with just one to focus on. o.o

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • Well that is better than me...I let all of my sites die...now I work for someone else's site and I'm not as stressed anymore lol. But in the old days when I was really young and first starting out....one of my dad's friends showed me how to put a site on geocities.com and make a website with front page express...those were the good ol days when I had like 20 fansites that looked like total crap instead of one site that kind of looked good but was still crap. lol
    *disappears for another three months*

Gecko

Animaster
    Years
  • The old days... wow... well I guess like Koroku said, there was fewer newbies. And more serious gamers talking about gaming and stuff. Now there seems to be a whole lot of kids who like the cartoons and toys and stuff. I guess Pokemon in general has reverted backwards instead of maturing.

As for websites, I recall PokeMasters being the biggest thing ever. Before PPN and Serebii there was PokeMasters. It was just so damn huge. I remember the old days. Being active on PokeMasters and Serebii forums. Lots of game talk, and playing around. There was an insane amount of fan sites, and only a few that actually made it anywhere. I recall a site called Unown Dungeon being one of the big hitters in the second wave.

Then Hitler sent a brigade to Düsseldorf and company A had to defend their base while snipers set up to... Oh, sorry, wrong memories. =P

Yeah, back in the old days a lot of kids got inspired by the popular sites and set off to become webmasters themselves. So there were a whole lot of n00b sites out there. Poorly developed and maintained and most just ended up left for dead, never to be surfed again. Like mine which I had back in 2001. I knew nothing of sites and I basically didn't do anything for almost a year, and then finally closed it. And now i just discovered that it's still up XD
    http://www.pokeplanet.0catch.com/

Since then I have grow a lot. And now I'm a top notch webdesigner, focusing on standards and design, as well as HCI. I get hired by companies and all sorts of things. Though I haven't had time to do any personal sites for about 2 years I have kept busy in the freelance industry, and learned a lot. Today there doesn't seem to be many people who have advanced far who also want to keep a Pokemon site. It's just to juvenile for advanced webdesigners, and to be honest, Pokemon just doesn't have that much unique stuff to offer any more. The most important thing now is about stats and data about the games and there are already plenty of sites out there that cover that. I am sort of a pessimist, so I will say this as my own opinion and you can take it as you wish: Pokemon is dead.

The games were great and all but if you've been playing for as long as I did before I left, you kind of realize it's time to grow over to more advanced stuff as far as websites, and maybe into more mature things as far as entertainment.

PC was the last big thing to happen to the Pokemon website community, and it has died down a lot since before. I remember there used to be so freakin' many users online at the same time before, 24/7. When it was just launched I was there from the beginning. PPN Steve told me about it over chat when he launched it and I just had to join :P. Bout 2 years later, I was completely out of the Pokemon circuit, but I heard from Steve and ended up designing a layout for PPN. I'm sure if you visited PPN back at that period, you must've seen it. I didn't have time to visit the site that much back then so I don't know what the feedback was on it, but Steve kept it on for quite a while, so I was pretty proud to finally have contributed to the Pokemon Website Community in some way :P.

Well, that's my story. I have far more memories than can fit in a post, but I can sum it up by saying that it was fun.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    My forums have actually been growing in recent months. But yeah, Nintendo needs to refresh the series.

saul

"My goodness, that's odd."
    Years
  • I remember those days!!!

I remember PokeMasters! And PPN's old ugly black/charcoal layout? At the time, I was more involved in the Pokemon Communities at MSN Groups. Back then, they were actually nice and had loads of good content, discussions, and active RPGs. I wasn't involved much here until I decided to venture out of there and start anew.

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
  • Well, we just hit 200,000 posts and frequently have 30 people on during US day hours.

Anyways, yes, MMORPG.

Well, you are right but... A lot of the Users go online then offline and then come back later so it may seem like there are a lot of people coming on and off. You do get a lot of Guests tho.

aRedMoon

Years
  • I get over 800 (non-bot) guests daily on my forums according to the silly Who's Visiting hack~

Average posts per day 95.79
    Average threads per day 9.49
    Average replies per thread 10.09
    Active members percentage 25.80%

That last number is depressing ;_;

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Totals
    Threads: 5,450
    Members: 2,689
    Members who have posted: 43.25%

Averages
    Posts per day: 296.7
    Threads per day: 8.06
    Members per day: 3.98
    Posts per member: 74.61
    Replies per thread: 35.81

I am pretty happy where my stats are at personally.

Back