• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The old days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivr3joe

Master Of Darkness
Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2020
    What were your memories from RBGY and GSC?

Last edited:

PrismoStar

Veteran Trainer
    Years
  • I remember playing on the curb with my friend, battling and trading. We also had once a "race to the Elite Four" where we saw who could finish the game first. :P I lost.
    I also remember my cousin coming over and showing me his Rayquaza, a Pokemon which back then I had no clue even existed.
    Another thing was when me and my friend would hang out inside our secret bases. Fun times, indeed.
    I can recall that my friend had to help me through Tin Tower xD

One last thing, I had Gold, he had Silver, I had Ruby, he had Sapphire.

That's all I can remember now.

Hotaru

Nostalgia Strikes Again
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2011
    My cousin and I, each lying on opposite ends of the couch with our gameboys. My family always jokingly called our Pokemon-playing "bonding," since we were silent and concentrating solely on the game. Unless, of course, something interesting happened on one of our games, like evolution music -- then we'd come to life. :D

Also, I was only 9 or 10 when these games came out, so my training strategy was rather interesting (or nonexistent, you could say). I always raised my starter to like level 80 and just had a bunch of level 25-ish Pokemon in my team. xD I remember beating the Elite Four with just Charizard.

PrismoStar

Veteran Trainer
    Years
  • Also, I was only 9 or 10 when these games came out, so my training strategy was rather interesting (or nonexistent, you could say). I always raised my starter to like level 80 and just had a bunch of level 25-ish Pokemon in my team. xD I remember beating the Elite Four with just Charizard.

Yep, that was me too. I had my starter and legendary at level 60-ish, and the rest at level 20 or so. xD

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • Me and my friend playing our gameboys pretty much the whole summer after the G/S release. We made some pretty innovative teams, and would trade each other to get the 'hot new evolutions' and exp bonus.

I also made the mistake of trading him my all-pwning level 100 Dodrio for a shiny lugia. Good trade, but I lost every link battle afterwords because that Dodrio could own my whole team.

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years
  • I remember getting my Silver version, it was the first Pokemon game that was actually mine. My bro had a Yellow version that I had played, but I never had one of my own until I got Silver from Gamestop! I remember not being able to find Mr. Pokemon so I was just leveling up my Totodile a bunch! I miss those good times!

Johto Legend 17

A Legend of Johto
    Years
  • I remember back when I was like 9 years old...I had Pokemon Crystal. I would play that game all the time at my Nany's (Grandma's) house. I would sit around playing the game...sometimes in my Nany's bedroom or living room lying on her bed or chair and would have the tv on Kids WB playing the game while waiting for a new episode of Pokemon to come on. I'd also eat snacks or food when I wanted too while playing crystal. When I hear the music from GSC I have a nostalgic moment from back then....too bad my Nany died in 2004....*Gets depressed*....

magrathean

Eevee Breeder
    Years
  • "Borrowing" my mom's best friend's son's version of Blue, starting a new game, and giving all the Pokemon dirty names and then sneaking it back in his game case...

Ah, the good old days....

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2009
    Well, I still play Yellow but I can remember getting a GBC on holiday with my two friends and we all just sat there for 2 weeks playing it :D.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Being a little kid and losing to Brock by trying to use Thundershock because I decided to be stupid and not read that it didn't effect his Pokemon.

Satelity

Funny The Way It Is
    Years
  • I remember buying Yellow version from GameStop.
    I also got one of those gummy Mario lollipops too. XD

Years
  • ~Putting Pocket Pikachu 2 on top of the washing machine. I also taped it under my brother's Jolly Jumper to great effect, LOL

~Doing that PC cloning glitch from GS repeatedly.

~Catching a shiny Unown...

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • Pokemon Gold= First video game I ever owned. Too many memories to list them all, but I remember making my way to the Elite 4 with my Feraligatr and Ho-oh. Can't remember the rest of the party, ahaha.

Also, I was only 9 or 10 when these games came out, so my training strategy was rather interesting (or nonexistent, you could say). I always raised my starter to like level 80 and just had a bunch of level 25-ish Pokemon in my team. xD I remember beating the Elite Four with just Charizard.

Wait, you mean to tell me that I'm the only one that *still* uses that strategy?!

Last edited:

Johto's Best

Luck > Skill
    Years
  • I remember playing on the curb with my friend, battling and trading. We also had once a "race to the Elite Four" where we saw who could finish the game first. :P I lost.
    I also remember my cousin coming over and showing me his Rayquaza, a Pokemon which back then I had no clue even existed.
    Another thing was when me and my friend would hang out inside our secret bases. Fun times, indeed.
    I can recall that my friend had to help me through Tin Tower xD

One last thing, I had Gold, he had Silver, I had Ruby, he had Sapphire.

That's all I can remember now.

Wow...I wouldn't happen to be that friend, would I, lol. I did the same thing! 'cept I moved away before R/S/E came out.

Years
  • I remember catching a Magikarp for the first time. (In Gold version.) I was like Oh my GOD THIS IS AWESOME! :D I loved my Chikorita. (T'was awesome in the anime.) I loved going back to Kanto. Misty had awesome hair and Gary was a gym leader?! OMG! Then, I battled Ash (Red) It was epic! (I thought it was Ash from the anime AT THE TIME. I know it's not, but can I please still call him Ash? It's the default name in RBY anyway.)

I remember not liking Red version very much. (Too much red everywhere. :P)

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    being 3 years old, not having any idea what the hell i was doing- good times........ i never found out how to play until i was 5 haha

Years
  • I got gold as my first game and started out with tododile. When my croconaw got lvl 28 I accidently replaced one of his good moves with scary face. I restarded my game and chose cyndaquil. I've used sire types ever since.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back