• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The one thing that would ruin the show.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
    Actually, Contests can be skipped quite a bit, especially that Fallabor contest (I mean, the writers did have May say that she won with Skitty when she really won with Beautifly), plus, think about it, May was for the most part treated as though she never existed during DP, so, in essence, you CAN skip through most of the contests she's been in without missing anything. Heck, you could theoretically skip most of Kanto and not miss anything, considering how Battle Frontier didn't even REFERENCE season 1 for the most part (despite it taking place in Kanto of all places.). See, if it isn't referred to, it can be skipped.

what do you mean May was treated like she never existed? She even came back! I'm curious, please explain what you mean by that.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    what do you mean May was treated like she never existed? She even came back! I'm curious, please explain what you mean by that.

Okay... Prior to that Wallace Cup episodes, they never referenced her at all, and they even went as far as to have Ash and Brock act like Dawn was the first coordinator they ever met. they had many opportunities in regards to referencing May, but they didn't.

Actually, they also treated the BF as though it barely even existed (Ash had barely referenced the Battle Frontier, if at all, and they even made Pikachu tie with an Elekid [who most likely was starting out, even WITH Paul having traveled, considering the fact that It evolved.], as well as Pikachu lose to Roark despite having beaten Brandon, which makes it seem as though Ash's trials in BF never even happened.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    So unless they are referenced again, they're filler? So stuff like Ash capturing his first Pokemon Caterpie was actually filler until he mentioned it 500 episodes later?

Years
    That was always like this. In the start of the Advanced serie, Pickachu almost lost to a freakin taillow, after beating many tough pokemon in the past seasons.
    I really like the Anime, though the only thing that truly annoys me is the fact the main characters catch less pokemon then before. I guess its because there aren't many pokemon in 4th generation, but still-Brock has to catch at least one or two pokemons, its embarrassing.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    because referencing things PROVES that they did happen. Look, some episodes, even Arcs, in some cases, even though they might have a profound impact on the series, are often ignored anyways, thus equating them to filler. I mean, almost all gym leader battles, league matches, and even pokemon characters end up not being referenced again when removed from the series. I'm sure you have noticed this with Battle Frontier, and other sagas in the Anime as well. Heck, they also had Ash not knowing how to fly Charizard in his release, despite having flown him in both filler and so-called "Important" episodes. So, really, I don't see much of a difference between fillers and important episodes, since they are both going to be treated as though they never happened anyways. either by not mentioning them, or just flat out contradicting continuity.

Huh? Gym battles and contests are all referenced, by the simple fact that Ash gets to enter the league and Dawn or May gets to enter the Grand festival.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Huh? Gym battles and contests are all referenced, by the simple fact that Ash gets to enter the league and Dawn or May gets to enter the Grand festival.

He doesn't really mention the gym battles, though, and May messed up on which pokemon she used to win the Fallabor contest, and, when he did the Battle Frontier, he doesn't reference much of the first season (only ones he or Brock referenced were the Indigo Plateau, Mt. moon and maybe Viridian Gym.). The Biking bridge wasn't even done correctly, and they barely even referenced Ash's trials in Pewter Gym in Grating Spaces (In fact, if that episode was even referencing anything, it was "A family that battles together, Stays together", as it seemed like a sequel to it.). Heck, seeing how both Hoenn and Johto had Ash getting the Top 8, we can just as easily act as though one of those regions never existed.

So unless they are referenced again, they're filler? So stuff like Ash capturing his first Pokemon Caterpie was actually filler until he mentioned it 500 episodes later?

Considering how unimportant episodes (or fillers), by general consensus, is barely even referenced in the show, as well as how many seemingly important plotlines, after being completed, are then never referenced, even treated as if they never existed, at worse, yes, even Ash capturing Caterpie might have been filler (Especially considering how BF treated Season 1 as though it never happened.)

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Badges and ribbons aren't outside the story arc. They are the story arc :\

Yes, but... in order for it to be an effective story-arc, they must be continuously referenced to emphasize their importance in the plot. Seeing how they didn't even reference virtually any of the trials Ash had to do in Kanto during BF, acting like it had never happened, then, story-arc or not, it's still no different than filler. Besides, the Orange Islands were a story arc, and yet, they ended up being treated like any other filler episode, rarely ever referenced again, and acting as if the trials he had done never existed (Heck, they even removed the OI trophy when he visited his house during BF).

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Weedle, it just sounds like you've made up your own definition as to what "filler" means and are trying to tell everyone else that your new definition is right :/ Everyone else would consider ribbons, badges and captures to not be filler. Anyway, in the Dome Ace Tucket episode, I'm sure they mentioned Ash getting through to the Indigo League, Johto and Hoenn leagues and winning the Orange Island cup

Last edited:
    Years
    You don't get it right. The struggle to enter the pokemon league is the arc. It is mentioned in almost every episodes.
    What did you want them to do? The first season ended almost 10 years before the BF started. I guess it could be nice to the old watchers if the put some more references, but what about all the new kids who didn't watch the original serie?

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Yes, but... in order for it to be an effective story-arc, they must be continuously referenced to emphasize their importance in the plot. Seeing how they didn't even reference virtually any of the trials Ash had to do in Kanto during BF, acting like it had never happened, then, story-arc or not, it's still no different than filler. Besides, the Orange Islands were a story arc, and yet, they ended up being treated like any other filler episode, rarely ever referenced again, and acting as if the trials he had done never existed (Heck, they even removed the OI trophy when he visited his house during BF).

That's because the entire orange arc was pure filler :P

Besides, who says they have to be "continously referenced"? As someone else already said, Butterfree hasn't been referenced for years, but the episodes where caterpie was caught and evolves can't be called filler by any stretch of the imagination.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Weedle, it just sounds like you've made up your own definition to what "filler" means and are trying to tell everyone else that your new definition is right :/ Everyone else would consider ribbons, badges and captures to not be filler

I made up? The entire Fandom made this up. Scott85, Piplup, SBaby, all of them. Heck, Scott85 is now saying the writers are acting like nothing prior to DP even existed (Mentioning how characters/events are being forgotten, among other things.) and even said he's growing sick of it. Heck, when DP was starting, he and some others were also bewildered at their not referencing May at all during DP, even going as far as to say that they probably forgotten about her. Many people are also saying in regards to Battle Frontier that that arc was a perfect example of how the writers are acting like anything not in the new generation never existed and how they hated that. Threads were started because of this. Because of this, as well as the fandom's belief that anything that isn't important (in other words, filler), deserves to be forgotten, and most of the time IS forgotten, how they are reacting, and How Fillers and Important events/characters/pokemon are treated are not any different anymore. Not to mention that SBaby is disgusted at how they treat characters who are no longer part of the cast (be it Pokemon or human characters).

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    3 people =/= the whole of the fandom. I am sure if you as Scott or Piplup if ribbons, badges and captures are fillers, they will say no. And everyone knows Scott really likes May so obviously he compained about no mention of her until she appeared. Scott has also said how DP has more flashbacks than any others. Not that it really matters what one particular person thinks

If the whole of the fandom made it up, why is everyone here disagreeing with you? You go and make a thread on bmgf or Serebii and see if they agree or something if you're sure. "Are badges, ribbons and captures fillers?" haha

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    You know, in order for something to truly be a different series, it has to, you know, have an entirely new cast (meaning, even Ash can't make the cut), almost no ties to the previous series (meaning events in that series, cast members, pokemon, and other things.), among other things.
    Pokémon says hi. But, if it'll make you feel better, I'll say sequel.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
    Okay... Prior to that Wallace Cup episodes, they never referenced her at all, and they even went as far as to have Ash and Brock act like Dawn was the first coordinator they ever met. they had many opportunities in regards to referencing May, but they didn't.

Actually, they also treated the BF as though it barely even existed (Ash had barely referenced the Battle Frontier, if at all, and they even made Pikachu tie with an Elekid [who most likely was starting out, even WITH Paul having traveled, considering the fact that It evolved.], as well as Pikachu lose to Roark despite having beaten Brandon, which makes it seem as though Ash's trials in BF never even happened.

First of all, Ash and Brock never acted like Dawn was the first coordinator they ever met. Sure, there were some Sinnoh specific customs that Ash and Brock didn't understand, but they already had a pretty good knowledge of contests when Dawn had her first contest. They didn't refer to Misty much when she left, but she still exists and, to many people, is still a pretty big part of the show. As for the Battle Fronteir, yes, it was a bit of a filler, but that's not to say that it didn't happen. Maybe Ash has just gotten over his need to brag about every one of his accomplishments. Remeber, a lot happened in BF. He caught a lot of Pokemon and made some major accomplishments.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Believe it or not, I don't think the cast replacements or Ash's new voice really ruined the show.

What I think does ruin the show is how Ash's 'brilliant' plan for becoming a Pokemon Master is to 'start over' in each Region with just Pikachu and Oak his other Pokemon. Seriously Ash, that plan hasn't worked in the last three Regions, what makes you think it's gonna magically work now? Seriously, that plan is so ridiculous and flawed that even JJM would pull him aside and ask him if he was serious. And he wonders why he loses every mainstream League he's ever entered.

Ash, get with the program, find six good Pokemon, and STICK WITH THEM UNTIL YOU WIN!!! THEN, change Pokemon. If he were to stick with his six best Pokemon, Paul, Gary, the League, nobody would be able to stop him from winning. And kids wouldn't care. Because what the writers need to realize is that just because Ash wins a League, doesn't mean he has to retire. There's plenty to do beyond the Pokemon Leagues. And there's other Leagues. Goku won the Martial Arts Tournament, but he didn't retire after that. He kept fighting and saving the world, and eventually became one of the most annoying characters in Anime history. Ash can still be equally as annoying after winning the League as he is now. What's the big deal? What kid that watches Pokemon is gonna care in the long run if Ash wins a League or two?

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Goku won the Martial Arts Tournament, but he didn't retire after that. He kept fighting and saving the world, and eventually became one of the most annoying characters in Anime history.
    ...you just insulted Goku in two ways:
    1. calling him one of the most annoying characters in anime history.
    2. Comparing him to the new Ash
    ...I think I'm ready to start a flame war, but instead, I'll just strongly disagree with what you just said...

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Believe it or not, I don't think the cast replacements or Ash's new voice really ruined the show.

What I think does ruin the show is how Ash's 'brilliant' plan for becoming a Pokemon Master is to 'start over' in each Region with just Pikachu and Oak his other Pokemon. Seriously Ash, that plan hasn't worked in the last three Regions, what makes you think it's gonna magically work now? Seriously, that plan is so ridiculous and flawed that even JJM would pull him aside and ask him if he was serious. And he wonders why he loses every mainstream League he's ever entered.

Ash, get with the program, find six good Pokemon, and STICK WITH THEM UNTIL YOU WIN!!! THEN, change Pokemon. If he were to stick with his six best Pokemon, Paul, Gary, the League, nobody would be able to stop him from winning. And kids wouldn't care. Because what the writers need to realize is that just because Ash wins a League, doesn't mean he has to retire. There's plenty to do beyond the Pokemon Leagues. And there's other Leagues. Goku won the Martial Arts Tournament, but he didn't retire after that. He kept fighting and saving the world, and eventually became one of the most annoying characters in Anime history. Ash can still be equally as annoying after winning the League as he is now. What's the big deal? What kid that watches Pokemon is gonna care in the long run if Ash wins a League or two?

I see what you're saying, I really do. But he wants to be a Pokemon Master...

For the purpose of this post, let's assume Pokemon Master isn't a title one can earn, like Champion, Gym Leader, or Elite 4 member.

To me, to be a master is DIFFERENT than being a Champion. A Champion is restricted to one region. But a Master should have knowledge of all the areas and the Pokemon that live in them.

(It's also convient that, since "Pokemon Master" has never been defined in the anime, it's basically unobtainable anyway, guranteeing that Ash will always be working torwards it)

Back