• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
Name: InfernoRogue
Game: One of the first gen. games, probably Yellow.
List of Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Number required: Eh, lets try 3.
Any specific requirements: Nope.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Name: InfernoRogue
Game: One of the first gen. games, probably Yellow.
Spoiler:

Number required: Eh, lets try 3.
Any specific requirements: Nope.
Mr. Mime.
Sandslash.
Golduck.

Enigma

Years
Alright, so Mr. Mime, Sandslash, and Golduck. Sweet. I'll have to hack in a Psyduck, since I decided to use Yellow, and you can only get Psyduck after you get Surf. Everything else I can get pretty early on, which is great.

Okay, here we go.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Sure why not? I'll play.

Name: Jayster23
Game: Ruby
Spoiler:

Number required: 4+2 HM slaves
Any specific requirements: No entirely crappy Pokemon

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Sure why not? I'll play.

Name: Jayster23
Game: Ruby
Spoiler:

Number required: 4+2 HM slaves
Any specific requirements: No entirely crappy Pokemon

Give it a go with Swalot, Metagross, Whiscash and Shiftry, plus two slaves of your choice (Tropius and Pelipper?). I've added you and InfernoRogue to the Challengers list, so enjoy!

Saiddun Uzkha

Obsessed and Proud!
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 26, 2011
I'll do this on Heartgold.
Name: Saiddun Uzkha
Ingame name: Saiddun
Game: Heartgold
Spoiler:

Number of Pokemon: 4
Restrictions: Pick only one of the Eevee evolutions

Enigma

Years
CHALLENGE COMPLETE.

Update:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
I've added Saiddun Uzkha to the Challengers list and InfernoRogue to the Champions (congrats to InfernoRogue for completing the Challenge so fast). Full update coming very soon, I'm currently challenging the E4 for the second time on SoulSilver, and I'll beat Red asap.

Magikarplvl.98

The Water Pokemon Defender
Years
Sorry for not updating but some stuff has kept me away from this.
(icluding my fail read to find out why)
00:00-00:45
Wynaut egg is traded and hatched into Wynaut (GASP!) named Whynot? training starts.
07:37
Whynot? evoles into Wobbuffet
08:05
Beat Roxanne
08:30
Catch Zubat named Zoobat
08:59
Mawile Caught named ChainChomp.
??:??-14:12
I fell asleep playing and then saved when I got up. After doing that I stopped playing for awhile but I'm going to play tonight.

Zoobat Lvl.12
Leech Life
Supersonic
Astonish
----------

ChainChomp Lvl.11
Astonish
FakeTears
Bite
-----------

Whynot? Lvl.19
Counter
Mirror Coat
Encore
Destiny Bond

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Update 11:

So, I decided to "train for Red" by beating the Elite Four again. Considering Lance's Pokemon were all about 10 levels above me now, I figured it would be a pretty good training experience. So in I headed, and came up against Will first.

I led with Mismagius, expecting Xatu to come out first, but was confronted instead with Bronzong. No worries, I thought, and started to set up with Mismagius' Charge Beam. Eventually her Sp.Atk was through the roof so she Shadow Balled Bronzong into submission, and then did the same to Jynx and Grumpig - both OHKOs.

Will followed Grumpig with Xatu, and Mismagius used Shadow Ball again, expecting another easy OHKO - but alas, Xatu was quicker (who knew!?) and Mismagius went down to the bird's own Shadow Ball. I chucked in Omastar who killed the bird with AncientPower. Pinsir then took care of Gardevoir and Slowbro with X-Scissor.

Next up was Koga. I led with Toxicroak - I'm not really sure why - and Koga led with Skunktank, who promptly used Dig. I used the free turn to switch in Dragonite, who Dragon Rushed the skunk to death, suffering heavily from Aftermath in the process (Skunktank also got in a Sucker Punch). Pinsir then took care of Venomoth and Crobat (with Girafarig's help), and Girafarig ruined Koga's own Toxicroak and Swalot, after a long Amnesia-fuelled Yawn-fest.

Last up was Muk, who actually doesn't know any offensive moves. While Girafarig tried to Psychic the blob to death, Muk set up with Minimize (ARGH) and Toxic. Girafarig had to switch out, and I set up Nasty Plot on Toxicroak, hoping Sludge Bomb would hit and do some damage. The fight basically developed into a boring snooze-fest whereby Muk would repeatedly Swagger and Screech Toxicroak (a surprisingly powerful tactic), so I'd heal Toxicroak, and wait for an opportunity to Sludge Bomb Muk into submission. EVENTUALLY it worked, and I moved on, thankful to be past Koga and his annoying stalling tactics.

Bruno didn't prove as much of a problem. His Hitmontop still didn't know any moves that could hit Mismagius - what an oaf - so she took the opportunity to set up some Charge Beams, just like first time round. Unfortunately she actually killed Hitmontop before getting enough Charges in, so her Shadow Ball wasn't going to be enough to take out Hariyama. Instead I used Confuse Ray - mistake. Hariyama beat confusion and OHKOd Mismagius with Payback. Ouchies.

In came Toxicroak, who finished Hariyama off with no trouble. Lucario came afterwards and took a Brick Break before Iron Tailing Toxicroak into submission. I chucked in Dragonite to finish Lucario off with Waterfall. Next up was Machamp, who used Stone Edge on Dragonite while my dragon was Flying - I hate No Guard. It's such a cheap ability, especially on a Pokemon as strong as Machamp. Anyways Girafarig was the hero and took down Machamp, despite a painful hit from DynamicPunch. Pinsir then fell to Hitmonlee's annoying Blaze Kick (I do love that move on my Blaziken though :)), leaving my Revived Dragonite to do the dirty work and finish everyone off.

Thankfully, Karen was a breeze. Toxicroak destroyed Weavile with a Brick Break, Omastar OHKOd Honchkrow with Ice Beam, Dragonite wrecked Houndoom with Waterfall while the demon dog tried to set up with Nasty Plot - and who can blame him after it was so effective first time round. Dragonite nailed Spiritomb with one Dragon Rush, Pinsir nailed Absol with one X-Scissor and Toxicroak returned to take down Umbreon with a few Brick Breaks and Poison Jabs. Umbreon only used Curse, except for one ineffective Sucker Punch. Only Toxicroak and Omastar took damage in that fight!

Lance was the final hurdle, and he was going to be tough, with his Pokemon probably 8 or so levels on average higher than Karen's - and therefore about 10-12 levels higher than mine, on average. I led with Omastar, who took a Dragon Claw from Salamence and Ice Beamed him to death.

Now I had to be clever, because Garchomp was up next. His Earthquake would OHKO all of my Pokes except maybe Pinsir (and Mismagius and Dragonite), while Outrage would kill all the rest in one except Omastar, who only had half health after the fight against Salamence. So I needed to bait Garchomp into using Outrage rather than Earthquake, and hope it wouldn't OHKO Omastar. Otherwise my whole team would go down.

So I sacrificed Dragonite to Garchomp, who duly used Outrage while I Full Restored Omastar. Dragonite went down, and Omastar jumped back in, surviving the Outrage and Ice Beaming the dragon for the win. Gyarados was next, and he went down thankfully to Mismagius' Charge Beams - although it was a close call when Gyarados beat confusion and nearly OHKOd Mismagius with Waterfall. Next up was Charizard, who proved no problem given that Omastar was fully healed and used AncientPower for an OHKO.

Dragonite was next. The level 75 beast. I really wasn't sure how to deal with this guy, seeing as I thought he'd easily OHKO my entire team - but Lance gave me a way to kill it by using Draco Meteor repeatedly, harshly lowering his Sp.Atk and completely gutting the dragon's attack power. All Dragonite's attacks are Special attacks, so he'd just completely ruined any chance his Dragonite had to win the match. I healed up my own Dragonite (still fainted after Garchomp) and sent him in, Dragon Dancing three times and easily soaking up Dragonite's feeble -6 Fire Blasts (they did about 9HP of damage, haha). Eventually I put Lance out of his misery and Dragon Rushed both Dragonite and Altaria, winning easily in the end.

I'd done it! I still need to put on a good 10-15 levels before I can realistically beat Red, though...

The Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Update 1: My update of this challenge.

I start my game with Brendan (Jay) Torchic is my partner. I save Birch from that Poochyena again...again... again. Etc. I travel through Odale town to fight May. I won by accident >.<. We went back down to the Birch's lab and she gave me 5 Pokeballs. (Woot! Free Crap! ^. ^) I walk back to Odale town, then onto route 102 to catch Seedot.(Yet to be nicknamed) I used Seedot in battle, and lost. I did it again... and lost. Then I remembered... Wingull. I caught a Wingull then went into battle... And lost. I needed a new Pokémon. So I caught my HM slave Zigzagoon. Zigzagoon was there for support. I decided to do the good ol' switcheroo with Seedot and Wingull. It worked. (Finally -.-) I then did the events in Petalburg City. I ventured onto Route 104 and Battled the trainers there picked up two Oran berries and went into Rustburo Woods. Team Magma was a breeze with Harden and Bide, I earned that Great Ball. I went out of the Woods and collected Bullet Seed. I taught Bullet Seed to Seedot so he now had a Growth/Bullet Seed combo. Seedot no longer had four sucky moves only 3 :). I beat Roxanne with ease and Seedot evolved into Nuzleaf. I now had a Nuzleaf and a Wingull that were both pretty strong. I then did the Team Magma event. I rescued the helpless little Peeko and ventured to Dewford Town. I gave Steven that letter of his and then went back to Rustburo and got the EXP.Share! (Woot! ^.^) I made my way back to Dewford then after 7 attempts beat Brawly. And that's the story so far...
Team:
pkrs023.gif
lv.16
Attacks:Growth,Bullet Seed, Bide, Nature Power
pkrs027.gif
lv.19
Water Gun, Growl, SuperSonic,Wing Attack.

HM slaves:
pkrs012.gif
NONE AS OF YET.

Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2012
I want to try too!
Name:E
Game:SoulSilver
List of pokemon that got away:
Zubat
Teddiursa
Krabby
Corphish
Chikorita
Spearow
Magicarp
Nincada
Lotad
Electrike
Togepi
Umbreon
Abra
Beldum
Sneasel
Swinub
Houndour
Ghastly
Horsea
Trapinch
Machop
Shroomish
Murkrow
Yanma
Requirements:5 One that can learn fly and one that can learn surf ;)

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
I want to try too!
Name:E
Game:SoulSilver
List of pokemon that got away:
Zubat
Teddiursa
Krabby
Corphish
Chikorita
Spearow
Magicarp
Nincada
Lotad
Electrike
Togepi
Umbreon
Abra
Beldum
Sneasel
Swinub
Houndour
Ghastly
Horsea
Trapinch
Machop
Shroomish
Murkrow
Yanma
Requirements:5 One that can learn fly and one that can learn surf ;)

Try it with Zubat, Horsea, Houndour, Beldum and Teddiursa. Enjoy! I've added you to the Challengers list.

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015

Name: ADHD Guitar
Game: Diamond
Code:
[COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]
Raticate
Sandslash[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black]Ninetales
Primeape
Slobro
Rapidash
Magnezone
Dewgong
Hitmonchan
Wigglytuff
Muk
Kingler
Marowak
LickiLicki
Weezing
Rhydon
Tangela 
Pinser
Tauros
Seadra
Noctowl
Ampharos
Ariados
Granbull
Heracross
Ursaring
Magcargo
Octillary
Wailord
Sharpedo
Claydol
Torkoal
Glalie
Froslass
Dusclops
Infernape
Floatzel
Drifblim
Yanmega
Gliscor
Drapion
Bronzong
Ambipom
Mothim
Vespiqueen
Gallade[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
Number required: 5 (Not counting an HM Slave)
Any specific requirements:
I don't mean to stray away from the main point of the challenge but I really like to have a starter on my team. *Hint* *Hint* Also I'd like a 6th Poke as an HM Slave.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016

Name: ADHD Guitar
Game: Diamond
Code:
[COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]
Raticate
Sandslash[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black]Ninetales
Primeape
Slobro
Rapidash
Magnezone
Dewgong
Hitmonchan
Wigglytuff
Muk
Kingler
Marowak
LickiLicki
Weezing
Rhydon
Tangela 
Pinser
Tauros
Seadra
Noctowl
Ampharos
Ariados
Granbull
Heracross
Ursaring
Magcargo
Octillary
Wailord
Sharpedo
Claydol
Torkoal
Glalie
Froslass
Dusclops
Infernape
Floatzel
Drifblim
Yanmega
Gliscor
Drapion
Bronzong
Ambipom
Mothim
Vespiqueen
Gallade[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
Number required: 5 (Not counting an HM Slave)
Any specific requirements:
I don't mean to stray away from the main point of the challenge but I really like to have a starter on my team. *Hint* *Hint* Also I'd like a 6th Poke as an HM Slave.

Give it a go with Infernape, Seadra (Kingdra?), Noctowl, Ursaring, Claydol and then you can add Bibarel for slave purposes. Added you to the Challengers list, enjoy your run!

TheUltimateFail

The Failure
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 5, 2011
Name:Theultimatefail
Game:Soul Silver
List of Pokemon who got away:
Spoiler:

Number Required: 5
Any Specific Requirements: I would appreciate getting Meganium so I can use my starter, and I would like to be able to get them ASAP

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Name:Theultimatefail
Game:Soul Silver
List of Pokemon who got away:
Spoiler:

Number Required: 5
Any Specific Requirements: I would appreciate getting Meganium so I can use my starter, and I would like to be able to get them ASAP
You can have Meganium, Miltank, Steelix, Togekiss, and Vaporeon. If you can't hack in a Shiny Stone for Togekiss before the Elite Four, then use Crobat.

Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2016
Update:
-Evolved Pineco and Corphish against Trainers.
-Beat Jasmine.
-Helped Lance out in the Rocket Hideout
-Beat Pryce.
-Dressed up as Team Rocket in Goldenrod, having fun how everyone talks differently when I'm in uniform.

My team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Magikarplvl.98

The Water Pokemon Defender
Years
Hey I'm back. Sorry, sorry, and sorry that I havn't posted for awhile but between decorating, shopping, holidays, putting away decorations, babysitting my niece, and being sick I haven't been playing much but I guess it's time I stop talking and give results on what i did do on my off time. I didn't keep journal so I'll just put down what I remember.

While going though Firey Path I cought Koffing named it Coughing.

Beat Flannery (bite was the only reason I got to Torkoal then Whynot? proved that don't regret having him at all by bouncing back overheat.

Zoobat evolved around there.

(you may see gaps I'm sorry I was sick give me a break point them out and I'll try to answer them.)

Traded over a Goldeen Egg because the good rod is across the water (I know right)
When goldeen hatched instanly gave it surf and headed on the road to Fortree City which is route 119.

During those adventures I beat down Magma handly with lv 15ish Goldeen that beat numels in there 20s 10lvs higher than goldeen because it learned surf so early.

Got Castform (can't give it nickname but you knew that.)

Just about to get into Fortree fought that ninja boy causing my Golbat to Evolve into Crobat.

Lost to Winona so I went training south.

Forgot to beat her and had to trek back there from Lilycove south to route 123 and then north back up to Fortree.

ChainChomp beat all but altaria which she saved for last but lucky me I got Whynot? out and survived enough Aerial Aces and Flamethrowers to gain the win.

Beat down any Magma that opposed me in all that time.
Got to Mossdeep at some point and fought though the physics to fight the twins who handly beat me.
I thought that might of been a fluke but it did help me notice that Solrock was the worse threat of the two. The second time around I sacked ChainChomp and Zoobat to no success as i got one Fake Tears and Confusion didn't do anything. Switched out to Seaking and Coughing. Seaking dived underwater but was injured beforehand and coughing insta exploded good thing it almost got one hit KOed. Causing Whynot? to come out and start to Mirror Coat.
Good thing in that time Seaking had come up and get a critical hit on Solrock causing massive damage and killing it. But that was short lived becaused Lunatone had maxed out and finished off my Seaking Causing a one hit on Castform too. And then Lunatune finally turned its attenion to Whynot? Taking away 167hp! Whynot then turned Lunatone into Swiss Cheese With Mirror Coat. I think I'm going to do some easy battles and level up a little before going after the last badge.

Coughing Lv29
Sludge
Tackle
Smokescreen
Sefldestruct

Castform Lv30
Powder Snow
Weather Ball
Sunny Day
Hail

Whynot? Lv33
Counter