• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Preparing for the second gym.

Team:
    Yakuza(Spinarak)lv.18 male
    Hardy nature
    -Poison sting
    -Leech life
    -Scary face
    -Night shade
    Opinion: He's surprisingly good for being a generic bug type you catch early in the game. Poison sting has been good with poisoning threats, night shade is good for steady damage, and leech life is good combo with poison sting.

Escarsnot(Slugma)lv.18 male
    Docile nature
    -Yawn
    -Smog
    -Ember
    -Rock throw
    Opinion: He's being my hard hitter from the special side with ember. Yawn is also great for stopping major threats. He also looks funky and that makes it awesome.

Krusty(Krabby)lv.18 female
    Sassy nature
    -Mud sport
    -BubbleBeam
    -ViceGrip
    -Leer
    Opinion: Why have I been ignoring krabby for such a long time? She's so awesome both battle wise and design wise. Massive attack and defense and it's all going to be more powerful from here. Possibly my MVP right now.

NeroTH

Aspiring Master of Mega Evolution
    Years
  • Just recently found a Starter Mod code to get Sneasel right away, as well as a Nat. Dex code, so Sneasel is now the first of my enforcers.
    *edit: Decided to restart my game, using the proper Nat. Dex code this time. As such, Sneasel is now at Lv. 6.

Previous Location: On Route 1. Just left Pallet Town after beating Gary Oak.
    Party:
    Sneasel
    Lv. 6
    Rash Nature
    Female
    OT: Takeru
    Met at Pallet Town at Lv. 5
    Thoughts on Sneasel At the time: Sneasel is TOUGH. She took down Gary Mothertrucking Oak's Bulbasaur in three hits. A bit weaker than the previous save, but not by much. Hopefully Sneasel learns Icy Wind or some Ice-type move soon, or I'm in for a rough time in Brock's Gym.

Status Update! :D

Current Location: Pewter City. Just Obtained the BoulderBadge.
    Current Party: Sneasel.
    Sneasel
    Lv. 16
    Rash Nature
    OT Takeru
    Met at Pallet Town at Lv. 5.
    Current Thoughts on Sneasel: A-MA-ZING! Even with her crippling weakness against rock-types, Sneasel didn't give up and managed to beat all of Pewter City's gym through sheer determination and willpower! Even without any Ice-type moves, Sneasel beat down Brock with a lot of Screeching, Scratching, and Quick Attacking. :D

Screenshot gallery is on my homepage link on my Profile.

Last edited:

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
  • Name: Carlos
    Game: Soul Silver
    List of Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Number required: 6
    Any specific requirements: If anything, I would want to have Porygon2 on my team and a Pokemon that can use Surf effectively. Other than that, I'll be fine.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Name: Carlos
    Game: Soul Silver
    Spoiler:

Number required: 6
    Any specific requirements: If anything, I would want to have Porygon2 on my team and a Pokemon that can use Surf effectively. Other than that, I'll be fine.

Give it a go with...

Porygon 2
    Jumpluff
    Ninetales
    Gastrodon
    Seviper
    Hariyama

Enjoy! I've added you (and any other new Challengers) to the Challengers list.

NeroTH

Years
  • Okay, here's the update. First of all, I'll be giving some more depth to Takeru's personality, as well as giving certain traits the Pokemon I catch during this challenge.

Takeru's Log:

Entry 1: After defeating Brock at the Pewter Gym, I've decided to rest for a while at the Pokemon Center before Sneasel and I make our way out to Mt. Moon. It's gonna be a long trek, but I know that we can make it through. There are a lot of Trainers on Route 3. Most of them are pretty easy for Sneasel, but seeing how worn out she is, I think I might need to catch a new Pokemon to lighten the load, if even just a little.

Entry 2: Wow, now here's something unusual. This trainer I battled said there were some suspicious characters lurking around. He also stated that he believes that it's Team Rocket, up to no good as usual. As I searched for the exit, I saw a Cubone. Quite an unusual sight for a place like Mt. Moon. It looked so sullen and alone, even for a Cubone. So I decided to try and catch it. Sneasel didn't even have to damage it, just restrain it for me to throw the Pokeball. Sure enough, it was a wild one. It doesn't seem to like me that much. I found a Sun Stone while looking for the exit. Funny. You'd think that a place called Mt. MOON wouldn't have SUN Stones. But I'm not complaining. I'll get some use out of it, I'm sure.

Entry 3: Oh man... This is bad. I went down this path that turned out to be a dead end, with a Rocket Grunt nearby. I tried to sneak away but he found me. I'd had Cubone out, and the minute that Grunt sent out a Pokemon, Cubone started attacking it like there was no tomorrow. His determination seemed pretty unnatural. I called Cubone back, because he wasn't actually doing any sort of damage to the Grunt's Sandshrew, and I sent out Sneasel to take out both of his Pokemon, and then got out of there and hid for a while. I let out Cubone, wondering what was wrong. It looked like he'd been crying while he was trying to defeat that Sandshrew, and I realized something right there. Cubone are usually sullen and misanthropic because of the trauma of losing their parents, and this little guy was no exception. It's pretty obvious to me that his mother must have been killed by Team Rocket. I started telling him about how little I knew my dad, and how he'd left home to become a Gym Leader in some far off region. I then told Cubone that I'd wanted to follow in his footsteps, and that I'd need as much help as I could. I then decided to give Cubone the Rock Tomb TM that I got from Brock, saying that as long as he travelled with me, I'd make sure that he got vengeance against them. I think after that speech, Cubone's started to warm up to me a little.

Entry 4: Now that Cubone's learned Rock Tomb, he's having no trouble beating Team Rocket's Pokemon. After a lot of training, against both Rocket-owned and wild Pokemon alike, Cubone also learned Bone Club, which is sure to help against other Rocket Grunts. After a while of travelling, I finally found the exit. But there was some kind of Super Nerd nearby. I was planning on just walking past him with no difficulty, but he thought I was going to try and take his fossils and sent his Pokemon at me. All Poison-types, so Cubone made short work of them. After telling him that I was only passing through, and had no intention of taking his fossils, he apologized and insisted that I take a fossil as a token of his apology. Since it seemed like he wasn't going to give up on it, I just decided to take the Dome Fossil. He then mentioned something about a Lab on Cinnabar Island, where they were researching on how to bring fossilzed Pokemon back to life. Might be something to look into when I get there. But for now, time to get out of here.

Entry 5: We just recently made it out of Mt. Moon. It was quite a trek, but it was worth it. Cubone in particular seems really happy about beating those Rocket Grunts. I'll bet he's looking forward to defeating a lot more of them, and I'm certain that we'll clash against Team Rocket on more and more occasions in the future. On our way to Cerulean City, I came across a couple of Blackbelts, offering to teach my Cubone either Mega Punch or Mega Kick. While both moves are powerful, Mega Kick isn't as reliable as Mega Punch, so I chose Mega Punch. The Mega Kick Blackbelt seemed disappointed, but I didn't pay him any mind and went on my merry way. Upon arrival in Cerulean, I heard talk going around about some "Nugget Bridge challenge" going on at the Bridge on Route 24, where, if you defeat five trainers, you're given a Nugget by a man running it. It caught my interest as a place to do some possible training, so after healing my Pokemon, I decided to head up that way. But who should I run into other than Gary Mothertrucking Oak? The guy was apparently waiting to jump me after trouncing him at Professor Oak's Lab and on Route 22. Another trouncing occured, this time joined by Cubone, who proved to be a great asset against Gary's Abra and Pidgeotto. After I beat him, he gave me a Fame Checker, calling me a 'chatty gossip'. REALLY? Since when have I talked crap about anybody besides calling him "Gary Mothertrucking Oak?" Anyway, he also rubbed in my face the fact that he's caught more Pokemon than I have, as well as the fact that he'd already beaten the Cerulean Gym. Jerk...

Entry 6: Well, the Nugget Bridge was legit enough. Sure enough, after taking down all 5 trainers, I got a Nugget from the guy at the end, but then this weird crap happens. He offers me the opportunity to JOIN Team Rocket and rule the world. As if I'd even THINK about it. Hearing a mention of Team Rocket really lit Cubone's fuse, and we won rather easily. After that victory, I decided to search the grass patch along the side of the bridge, and I found an Oddish. I had Cubone just use a Headbutt against it, and interestingly enough, not only did Oddish not faint, but also used a powerful Absorb attack and managed to endure a SECOND Headbutt from Cubone. After witnessing that, I decided to catch it. I threw the Pokeball and it was an easy catch. Oddish seems to be pretty energetic, enough that I can say that it's definitely jumpy. But with only Absorb and Sweet Scent at it's disposal, I figured that it might be helpful to teach Oddish with the Bullet Seed TM I found in Mt. Moon, and so far, it seems Oddish is quite a crack shot, if I do say so myself. Out of 5 shots, 4 of them hit their mark each time he's used them. Which is sure to come in handy in Cerulean Gym. Taking Gary's advice, I decided to trek over to Bill's Sea Cottage.

Entry 7: Now HERE'S a tale for the Little Treehouse of Horrors. Imagine to yourself the foulest, most unnatural thing you've ever seen in your life. Now imagine a Pokemaniac with Curly brown hair and a british accent fused with a Clefairy, of all things. Yeah. Not as cute as the Clefairy and Bill fangirls would think... Anyway, I helped Bill out of his predicament, and to thank me for helping him, he gave me an SS Ticket to get on the SS Anne in Vermillion City. Seems like something to check out. He also let me check out his Rare Pokemon Collection, which added pages for Eevee, Flareon, Jolteon, and Vaporeon to my Pokedex. A nice gain, to say the least. After checking all of that out, I decided to head back to Cerulean when I heard a commotion break out at a nearby house. A police officer told me that there was a break-in, and that the criminal stole a TM for Digging holes. I decided to try and find the theif, and, to my surprise, he was standing RIGHT IN THEIR BACKYARD. The guy tried to feed me a line of crap about how he was just an innocent bystander, but I'm not falling for it. A quick trouncing ensued, with his Machop and Drowzee being defeated and the Dig TM being recovered. I was going to return it to it's proper owner, but the owner told me to keep it, saying he'd just have his Diglett learn it naturally. A rather unexpected gain, but appreciated nonetheless.

Entry 8: After taking out that Rocket Grunt, I decided it was time to take on the Cerulean Gym. We entered the gym, and I saw Cubone cowering somewhat, which I assumed meant that Cubone had a fear of water, which is natural for a Ground-type. So I decided to try and stick with Oddish and Sneasel for this fight, and managed to make it to Misty with no problem using ONLY Oddish. Misty's Staryu and Starmie gave Oddish a tough fight, but Oddish managed to take down Starmie with a 4-hit Bullet Seed attack for the CascadeBadge. What's even better is that after the battle, Oddish EVOLVED! It was my first time seeing an evolution up close, so I was surprised to see such a drastic change. From Oddish to Gloom. But it doesn't end there. We got to the Pokemon Center, healed up, and afterwards, I started sifting through my bag, looking for the Moon Stone I found and Gloom picked up the Sun Stone I'd set aside while looking for it. As soon as Gloom started glowing, I knew it was an evolution. But it's amazing. Gloom evolved into a species of Pokemon I'd never seen before. According to the Pokedex, it's called Bellossom, and unlike Oddish and Gloom, Bellossom is a Pure Grass-type. Meaning that when I make my next stop at Saffron, Bellossom's less likely to be at risk of serious injury.

Sneasel
    Lv. 23
    Female
    Rash Nature
    Met at Pallet Town at Lv. 5
    Takeru's Thoughts:
    Sneasel is definitely the Alpha Female Battle Girl of the party. Both the strongest Pokemon and the apparent tip of the food chain in my party. She wasn't as involved in the Cerulean Gym Battle as she was Pewter's, mainly due to the additions of Bellossom and Cubone. But even so, Sneasel is still the strongest Pokemon in my party, and I don't doubt that she'll come in especially handy in Saffron next.

Cubone
    Lv. 20
    Male
    Naughty Nature
    Met at Mt. Moon at Lv. 7
    Takeru's Thoughts:
    Cubone wasn't exactly what I had expected him to be when I caught him. He's a fierce-yet-intellectual fighter who knows when to fight and when to swap out. If we can get much stronger, I don't doubt he'd be especially useful in Saffron's Gym.

Bellossom
    Lv. 21
    Male
    Sassy Nature
    Met at Route 24 at Lv. 13
    Takeru's Thoughts:
    Bellossom, despite being originally caught as an Oddish, is definitely a powerful battler. He's the king of Multi-hit attacks, landing 4 out of 5 Bullet Seed shots flawlessly each time. And since he's a pure Grass-type, there's no need to worry about a weakness against Psychic-types, which is likely what we'll be up against next.

So Takeru's Logs and Thoughts will be a frequent thing in my updates, along with important screenshots, such as the capture of new Pokemon, event milestones, such as the Nugget Bridge Completion, Gym Clears, and other such details.

Also, as for why SAFFRON is mentioned next. Well, I'm trying to give this playthrough a bit more of a story to it, so Takeru is currently unaware of the Saffron Roadblock, and of Team Rocket's takeover of Silph Co. He WILL be going to Vermillion City, so don't think I'm planning to skip past all of that.

Screenshots of key events are up on my Majhost Gallery dedicated to this Challenge.
    No screenshots of Mt. Moon due to my forgetfulness.

Last edited:

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
  • Update 1
    New Bark Town-Route 30
    -I finally got this new adventure underway and after progressing through all of the pregame stuff, I dumped my Chikorita off in the PC and found my old action replay to get myself a Porygon2. Porygon2 isn't a real offensive threat right now due to the fact that its only damaging move is tackle but I'm sure it'll pull through for me in the long run. Alongside my new Porygon2(which I hacked in at lv.5 by the way), I headed up to Route 30 where I did a bit of training to get P2 to level 7. After talking to Mr.Pokemon and Prof.Oak for a bit, I took on my rival, Silver for the first time and won easily. After some more pregame nonsense, I made my way back to Route 30 and took on all of the trainers there and decided to hack in my next partner, Seviper. At the moment she only has Wrap so training her won't be easy but I think it'll be well worth it in the end.

My Team At This Point:
    Spoiler:

NeroTH

Years
  • Status Update Time!

Takeru's Logs:

Spoiler:

And that's the end of my Status Update. As always, new pics are up in my Majhost Gallery.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • I guess I'll give this one a go.

Name: Myrrhman (In Game: A)
    Game: Either Red or Blue
    Pokemon that Got Away:
    Spoiler:

Number: 3 or 4
    Special Requirements: If you want to give me someone from the safari zone, only give me one of them. Don't mix and match Pokemon games (like give me Ninetails and Vileplume). And I'd like to have someone before Brock.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Person above me, your team shall consist of~ Kabutops, Tauros, Kingler, Butterfree..That should be good right? Im pretty sure you can catch a Caterpie before Brock <3

Name: Gold
    Game: HeartGold
    List of Pokemon that got away: Gardevoir, Gallade, Garchomp, Dragonite, Pidgeotto, Bagon, Cloyster, Lapras, Pikachu, Electabuzz, Arcanine, Gengar, Ampharos, Machamp, Quagsire, Miltank, Sneasel, Hoothoot, Ponyta , Graveler, Poliwrath, Steelix, Slowbro, Mamoswine, donphan, Togekiss, Tyrannitar.
    Number required:6
    Any specific requirements: I want at least one psychic ;3.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Name: Itz_Spadezz
    Game: Red
    Spoiler:

Number required: 4

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Awesome! I wanted to use Gallade <3. Ill start breeding them now to get eggs and hatch em. I Also need to find my other DS..*sigh* Oh well ^_^.

Itz, you can use Dragonite, Electabuzz, Seaking, and Mr. Mime ;D.

EDIT: Found my DS not 5 minutes later lmao XD. So now im breeding the Pokemon on my SS, and then trading over the Lv. 1 Pokemon onto my HG. So far my team will be:

Ralts

Gastly (After he levels up to 25 and evolves into Haunter, trading him to get a Gengar.

Geodude

Pidgey

Sneasel

And a Lapras.

Im so excited, this will be my first challenge <3. Ill post my progress soon ^_^.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Hey, does this have to be pokemon that I've actually caught but never used, or can it be pokemon I think would be cool, but never actually used? If it's the latter category, I'm in.

Name: Tyranit
    Game: Heartgold
    The Ones That Got Away:
    Spoiler:

Number Required: 5
    Any Specific Requirements: Something that can learn surf, the 6th pokemon will be an HM slave.
    PS: Though most of the pokemon here need to be hacked in, I'm trying somthing different: I'll hack in one pokemon at the start, then hack in another after the first gym, another after gym two, etc.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2016
    i'm pretty sure it can be both :)

Take a Camerupt, Porygon-Z, Glaceon, Tentacruel, Walrein and Venusaur

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    @Tyranit: It can indeed be any Pokemon you'd like to raise, regardless of whether you've already caught it or not.

Sorry I've been absent for a little while, my internet at home has been broken for nearly 10 days now and Sky don't seem to want to fix it. I've added all the new challengers to the list on the front page though, so good luck to all!

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Okay, I've started. Sorry about the small delay, my L and R buttons on my DS were giving me trouble.

Spoiler:

Enough for me to post today.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Progress Update #1: Sorry for the delay, barely played my HG >_<. (Sorry..Dont know how to use the spoilers D:)

Finished breeding and hatching my Pokemon, traded them over to my ready to play HG, which was at Violet town. Leveled up Lapras a bit, and boxed my Kirlia with a Dawn Stone until the third or fourth gym, in which my Pokemon should be at its level (Its at level 26, and after breeding and hatching 5 Ralts eggs, and no male..Gave up XD). Trained Lapras a bit more, headed into the Sprout Tower, beat up all the cueballs, and then the uber old cueball, and then left. Made my way to the gym, and beat up Falkner and his fellow bird heads. Left, and headed to Azalea, upon which I gave up grinding my Pokemon. My team iss~

Lapras Lv. 15

Gastly Lv. 4

Kirlia Lv. 26

Geodude Lv. 5 (Insanely weak at this point..=.=)

Sneasel Lv. 7 (Also super weak, I cant even believe it..)

Pidgey Lv. 8 (My second strongest Pokemon at the moment, besides Kirlia. Its not too strong, but still stronger than Gastly, that only knows two moves: Hypnosis and Lick, which are both useless to battle with.)

Saved game, turned off.. THe end. Ill be updating my progress quite a bit later on when my Pokemon get stronger since ill probably play a lot more, had to do this huge report and a different project, as well as finish my website for a class, so didnt have much time to play yesterday or today XD.

Arnold

...?
    Years
  • Name: Arnold
    Game: Yellow
    List of Pokemon who got away:
    Spoiler:

Number Required: 4
    Any Specific Requirements: None, I guess

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    So, it's kinda been a little while (about 6 months) since I updated this challenge, and I was kinda bored, so I figured I'd see where I was at so I knew if it was worth finishing or if I should post saying I should be removed from the list of challengers...and well, here it is.

Update #7:

-Mined up some more Heart Scales, taught Miles Ice Fang and Fugu Rollout
    -Headed to the lake and saw Gav talking to Jupiter,
    -Used a couple of TMs, headed to Team Galactic's HQ
    -Beat Cyrus, got the Master Ball
    -Saved the Lake Trio from Saturn
    -Got the TMs for Sludge Bomb and Poison Jab, taught them to Devo and Fugu
    -Climbed Mt. Coronet
    -Cyrus summoned Palkia to...make the sky look weird?
    -My favourite battle in the series (oddly in my least favourite region)! (Although I'd prefer if they'd handled it like the Player/Steven vs Team Magma fight)
    -Gav and I easily beat Mars and Jupiter
    -Cyrus was also pretty easy
    -Masterballed Palkia because I'm horribly underlevelled
    Team:
    Spoiler:

Oh, and Arnold have Arbok, Tangela, Marowak and Kangaskhan.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back