• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The original Pokémon Black

Do you beleive it's real?

• Yes

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Can't tell

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
Years
  • So I heard a little over a year ago that there was an unreleased second generation game by the name of Pokémon Black Version. My uncle had a friend whose dad worked for Nintendo so he was given a copy of the game, until he gave it off to one of his friends.

The game was supposedly a mixture of Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver.

Does anyone know any more information about this game?
    It's obviously pretty unheard of, considering there isn't any ROM leak yet. You know there would be if there could be.

Please help! Thanks! :)

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • It's most likely just a beta of Crystal (which IS Gold and Silver combined) and they changed the name before release.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    It does sound like a hoax, but I suppose you probably can trust an uncle... My guess is that it was either the original name for Crystal (which IS Gold and Silver mixed) or maybe it's just something he thought was true? It could also be an emulation someone's created?

The Author

Years
  • I know it sounds like a hoax, but I believe that guy. Although, I do agree that it could be a beta crystal, possibly with Unown as the star Pokémon. I've seen a few of them floating around out there but they're hard to find. But that was in North-Western America, closer to Nintendo of America, so it's really no surprise I've seen them up there.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • A nice spin on an old favourite.
    Yeah... sorry, but when you have the whole 'my ___'s friend's (etc) worked for Nintendo' thing it comes off as very unbelieveable as that's the usual claim someone makes with fake info. Never mind that you're not meant to leak stuff like that if you do work for Nintendo unless you want to lose your job and all, let alone give a copy of an unofficial game/beta version/whatever made by them. =/ That and if it was a beta/unofficial thing - it would have been in Japan, not America. The Game Freak Pokemon games are always done in Japan first and translated in English in English-speaking countries after being released in Japan (which is why the games always come out in Japan first).

First I've ever heard of Pokemon Black being a 2nd gen game either (and I also recall an interview with a Game Freak worker in which they said their initial plans were to end that series with GSC or somesuch?), so I don't see why such a thing would have existed. That, and statements like:
    I've seen a few of them floating around out there but they're hard to find
    Are just very vague and don't make sense (it being 'close to Nintendo of America' is not a reason to see them only in northern america =/).
    Actually, I think that was a hack.
    There is a hack from around then passed off as an actual game called Pokemon Chaos Black for what it's worth. Although I don't think it was a mixture of GS. (Involved mewthree or something? Never played it, so).

Last edited:

The Author

Years
  • Yeah, I've heard of Chaos Black. I guess I'll do my own research. I still talk with the guy so I'll see if his story matches up to anything.
    I'm not passing it as a hoax until then. I know him too well. But I must say your views are accurate. This is kind of what I expected when I made this thread.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    No offence but, I'm not believing your uncle works at nintendo.
    Why?
    Because if said game did exist he'd probally tell you and you wouldn't be asking here
    and if it was gonna be pokémon black, there would be some record of it, some fan would remember it, many pokémon sites would remember, and lets face it fans go nuts over things that never were, I believe this is a hoax.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    No offence but, I'm not believing your uncle works at nintendo.
    Why?
    Because if said game did exist he'd probally tell you and you wouldn't be asking here
    and if it was gonna be pokémon black, there would be some record of it, some fan would remember it, many pokémon sites would remember, and lets face it fans go nuts over things that never were, I believe this is a hoax.

You'd be surprised, major game developers such as Infinity Ward give copies of MW3 to their friends and families.

The Author

Years
  • No offence but, I'm not believing your uncle works at nintendo.
    Why?

It wasn't my uncle, it was his friend's (who I know) dad. Never met the father, but I've met the son and he's not like most the people that come up with crazy stuff like that. Pokémon Black is probably rare enough that no huge fan would come across it and tell the world. At that time, the guy was young enough he probably just gave it to some other elementary school kid and then that kid lost it. It wouldn't be a surprise.

But like I said, I'll talk to him about it.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    What I'm trying to say is, if it were to be 'Pokémon Black' Nintendo would of said something, like and advertisement. If your answer is to be it was too early in development to release advertisement, then you/your uncle/ nor his friend would not be able to tell it's a mixture of Gold and Silver.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
  • ... Meh.

I don't believe it. To be perfectly honest Author, I think you've been had. Something like that isn't something that would normally be released to be public. Heck... Aren't the Pokemon Red/ Green Betas supposedly on the net now? Just saying.

The Author

Years
  • What I'm trying to say is, if it were to be 'Pokémon Black' Nintendo would of said something, like and advertisement. If your answer is to be it was too early in development to release advertisement, then you/your uncle/ nor his friend would not be able to tell it's a mixture of Gold and Silver.

It wouldn't be advertised because it was obviously a beta or something, but it would be pretty obvious if it was like a mixture of gold and silver. Johto region, same trainers, etc.

I completely understand why no one would believe this, In fact, I'm a bit skeptical myself. I just wanted to know if anyone else heard about it.

And Aka/Midori betas being released is a good point.

I'm having trouble getting to him, considering we live on almost opposite sides of the country now, but when I did my research all I got was that stupid Red/Blue hack.

Maybe it was an alpha?? I really don't know but I still feel like it could be real, so I'm not giving up yet. I know I sound stupid. :D I have a really bad habit of that but I'm gonna be laughing if I ever find out it's real. Because when I do, still no one would believe me. :) If I ever get my hands on a copy the first thing I'm doing is testing the legitimacy.

Pokémon Black could be anything. Maybe even just a little hack by someone in Nintendo that he gave away, and no one ever heard of it again. But no matter what it is, I'll find it. Legit or not.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I don't really think its worth it, chasing 'Pokemon Black' I mean it probably was just a BETA version or something. The point is, that there will be nothing left behind if it was a BETA. I just don't think you'll find it and I don't think it even exists.

The Author

Years
  • I don't really think its worth it, chasing 'Pokemon Black' I mean it probably was just a BETA version or something. The point is, that there will be nothing left behind if it was a BETA. I just don't think you'll find it and I don't think it even exists.

I'm terribly sorry but if its a beta than that just makes me want to find it more.

Back