• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The originals or the remakes?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    In terms of RBYG, I think FR/LG is better(but not "much better").
    I have to agree with this. ^ I never really found FRLG that entertaining being a mainstream Pokémon game, but in terms of it being improved, yes. The graphics, the option to choose being a boy or girl, and just the quality of the game really.

As for comparing GSC to HGSS, I have to go with HGSS. Everything about this remake was so entertaining. They brought in many features and I know it has caught a lot of people's attention in interests. This remake was definitely not a disappointment in anyway. To me, at least.

So I guess I would have to go with the remakes on this one. Remakes are meant to improve anyway. :P

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    While the originals were my childhood so they'll always have a special place in my heart, I absolutely love the remakes! Seriously, I much prefer SoulSilver to Gold, same goes for FireRed and Blue. Nicer sprites, nicer colours, brilliant new features... yeah.

Skizzieren

- to outline; design
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2013
    I go with the originals way over the remakes. When playing the remakes, I often find myself thinking, "wait.. that's not supposed to happen!" Don't get me wrong, remakes are great! I just think the originals are so great in the first place!

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    For 1st generation, I prefer the remakes. Some of the sprites from Red version used to give me nightmares as a little kid.

I'm not sure about 2nd gen, though. They're both really awesome games.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    Yeah, that Golbat sprite was the worst. That thing just looked so stretched and that tongue was really weird.

Yeah, even to this day, those sprites just make me cringe.

DexHolderBlue

The Sneaky Thief
    Years
  • I think I prefer the remakes of both 1st gen. and 2nd gen. over the originals, simply because of graphics, soundtrack, and the new playable female trainers (although as far as Crystal goes, I do prefer Krys over Lyra). Don't get me wrong though, the originals will always have that nostalgia factor.

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
    Years
  • I love the originals and the remakes but I totally prefer the originals more. I think a lot of people can relate to me when I say I love that really weird feeling you used to get when you'd play pokemon as a kid. Plus, the sprites and music are more enjoyable for me in the original gold and silver.

Remake, since it's cooler and has more Pokemon. And it's easier to hack :D
    Very true that the remakes are easier to hack...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2011
    ORIGINALS. All the way.

The remakes of Gold and Silver (i.e., HeartGold, SoulSilver) were fantastic games, don't get me wrong here. But the problem is, they didn't capture the same magic, the beauty of the originals. The original Silver had terribad graphics, but I've grown to love them. 3D doesn't do it for me.

The 8-bit soundtrack -- oh my God! It was the best soundtrack ever released for any game of any system. The Gen IV remakes were good, too, but they were just that -- remakes.

tl;dr -- new games, great. old games, magic.

Couldn't agree more. I'll always pick the originals over the remakes for both R/B/Y/FR/LG and G/S/C/HG/SS

Years
  • I can't really pick between the originals and the remakes.
    The originals provide me with nostalgia and fond memories, whereas the remakes were nice improvements on them. :\

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I can't really tell, both were amazing on their own.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Remakes are better made, that's clear, but regardless I prefer originals. That's them that made me loving Pokémon, not the remakes.

Tyewatson

Poke Scholar
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    I liked both, RBY/GS were awesome games I grew up on. FRLG/SSHG were awesome games I can relive my experience from the originals. I would play the remakes over the old however just because I'm used to the newer games. The old games are outdated however I wont ever pass up the day to play them! I own almost all of them too.

Tripred

Beginner Graphic Artist
    Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2012
    I prefer the remakes because although the originals were what got me into Pokemon, with the remakes you can play the same game with more features, Pokemon, and moves and your not limited to the EXACT same adventure.

Back