• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The originals or the remakes?

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
  • I like both HG/SS and G/S/C equally much but I definitely prefer R/B/Y to Fr/Lg. Fr/Lg just didn't seem to offer much as a remake, I get pretty annoyed that I can't evolve my Golbat until I get the national dex, it was okay in R/B/Y since Crobat wasn't around but Fr/Lg was just stupid the way they wouldn't implement new features to a remake. Also they make you go on like the longest side quest ever just to enable you to trade Pokemon with R/S/E, I just don't see the game being better since R/B/Y let you trade with G/S/C as soon as you get a second Pokemon. Breeding was another problem they had in Fr/Lg, just because they didn't have breeding in R/B/Y they won't let you breed your Pokemon until post-game where you have a whole another breeding centre for it. The maps and tiles needed to change is well, they were too similar to R/B/Y but the screen had just been stretched. They tried to make as little changes as they could to Fr/Lg you just get such a big disappointment when you play them since you think you're playing the same game but on GBA but as you play more of it, it just feels so different but not enough so to make it feel like a different game. HG/SS actually seemed like a new experience, with the whole kimono sisters plot and giving the buildings completely new tiles, adding the Sinnoh evolutions in and changing the layout and puzzles for the GYMs. They were just all features Fr/Lg seemed to lack.

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
    Years
  • After playing through most of SoulSilver, I have to admit that it is not a bad remake. It's actually pretty fun. I really don't like the remake music though. Firered was a complete flop in my opinion and I've never finished it.

The originals are definitely much better in my opinion. The music is 10 times better in my opinion. I also find it a lot easier to play simply because I am so much more familar with the games. When I was playing through Soulsilver, there were some move I'd never heard of (since I haven't played D/P or B/W) and it wouldn't know what it would do.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I love the originals. There's nothing like picking up your Gameboy Colour and start playing it to relieve nostalgia.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I have to say that remakes are better.

Remakes are better because they have more features than originals and their graphics is better. Of course their graphics is better but have to say it because HG/SS graphics are beautiful.

Also HG/SS game music is better because I like new music more than old 8-bit music.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • The original because that what I grew up on. Don't get me wrong I like the remake it just something about playing the good old gameboy color sitting there for hours not even noticing the time. but that just me.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • For the sake of nostalgia, I'll be going with the originals. They have far better gaming experience.

However, remakes have more features (especially the Physical/ Special split) and better graphics.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    DEFINITELY the original ones, without a doubt. I don't like HG/SS at all, and FR/LG were meh as well. I grew up with the original ones as one of my first (Pokémon) games and I just think they got so much more character to them, I'm even thinking of replaying the first gen with my friend.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
  • Blue version started it all for me way back when, I still love to play it occasionally, however my eyes fail me using the old systems after a while. If I do play the old games I use adaptors/Pokémon stadium to play through the television. But prefer the backlit 3DS.

I Really love the new versions and remakes, they are colourful and are playable for longer what with all the extra items and Pokémon to search for.

(I Do miss surfing up and down the side of Cinnibar Island to solve all my problems though lol)

I can't wait till the game evolves even further, it's come such a long way already from the, let's face it pretty simple, Red and Blue versions. I expect to see a 3D roaming RPG in the next few generations with Pokémon stadium style battling.

Zeus

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    The remakes. By far. And whoever picked the originals has to admit that they only did it because of nostalgia, because, even though to me it was with the remakes, we all spent a shitload of time just mindlessly walking around Kanto/Johto, be it in whatever version it is, not fully knowing what is going on except that your level >80 starter is epic and that you need to smash all the things with your 4 STABs. Because though some can say that the only addition, besides the fixed mechanics, FRLG brought was the Seviis, then if it's the same, the only difference other than that is the graphics, who are better in FRLG. And if we talk HGSS, then it's even better

And though I also may be a bit biased on this, but going with nostalgia/"just because it has that original magic"/because it started it all really shouldn't be the way to classify the games, or compare them to each other. That comes from being a kid, not from the game itself. I remember feeling that way when going through Rock Tunnel, and asking help to my older friends cause I couldn't understand the puzzle in Lt. Surge's gym. And though that still happens a bit when replaying them, not being able to have that little feeling when playing them, be whatever game it is (for me, Dragon Ball on PS2, Pokémon on GBA, so on so forth) but that doesn't make them worse games

Last edited:

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    I most definitely prefer the originals in both situations, but HGSS are much better remakes than FRLG were.

Thrash

Feebas Führer
    Years
  • HGSS are much better remakes than FRLG

I agree wholeheartedly. I remember being quite disappointed with FRLG when I played them, but maybe I was just expecting the charm of the originals.

GSC are amazing. I love the music, the graphics, the sprites, everything. And when HGSS came out, I was a bit reluctant to play because I was afraid the remakes wouldn't do the originals any justice. But boy, HGSS were absolutely wonderful. I can't even choose which I like better, because GSC and HGSS will always hold a special place in my heart.

As for RBY and FRLG, the originals are definitely superior for nostalgic reasons.

razorwind124

PokéFan and OCD Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2012
    [SIZE="a"]Originals, for being wonderful and nostalgia,
    But remakes, for running shoes.[/SIZE]

Cham

Cool Trainer
    Years
  • I prefer the originals because of the nostalgia, they were such a huge part of my life as a child. I choose to play the remakes nowadays though due to the fact that I can transfer my pokemon to the current generation.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    I like the originals better, mostly because they have that old nostalgia feeling, and have a faster pace

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2014
    I can't really answer this completely, I prefer G/S/C to HG/SS but FR/LG vs R/B/Y I'm not sure I need to replay them :)

BiohazardX

Marionette Master
    Years
  • Personally I like the originals of G/S/C mainly because they were a big impact on my childhood and they were the series I played most often. More used to the originals, I guess.
    But with R/B/Y, I'm more used to FR/LG because even though I did have Pokemon Yellow around the same time, I always got stuck in it. I think if I grew up more with Red and Blue I might have liked the originals more than the remakes.

Back