• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The originals or the remakes?

Years
  • Original RBY will always hold a dear place in my heart, the remakes weren't as epic of a difference, but HG and SS were way better than their originals. The remake for those had so much added that HG is currently my favorite version above all the other ones. So much so that I recently restarted playing HG.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    I love the originals, because they're the first games I played and the ones I always play over and over again.

Shijo

Scientist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2013
    i prefer r/b/y over fr/lg, and hg/ss over the g/s/c

Years
  • Originals. You can't replicate the feeling when you first played them, the excitement in battling! The plot twists! Defeating team rocket! Catching your first legendary bird! Charmander evolving!

The remakes are just like; meh, I defeated team rocket... again... in better graphics.

Right? :) I guess I just got my nostalgia shades on, but the original Red is and will always be better than its FireRed counterpart. :)

It was probably both the hype and how new the whole thing was to me that makes the experience irreplaceable. Unless somehow Pokemon becomes a HUGE worldwide craze again, you won't get me as excited to play Pokemon now as much as I was back then.

Now, I've never played the HeartGold/SoulSilver remakes, so I can't speak on that, but it still won't be the same as the original. I guess its just tied into so many good firsts, like how Pokemon games were was my 1st video game, that you can't replicate that with the remakes.

Years
  • Can't beat the originals, companies generally try too hard when doing a remake and they just don't have the same feel. G/S/C > SS/HG, SS/HG are still excellent games (LOVE the Pokemon following you feature), I just prefer the originals. So many memories.

Oh and most definitely R/B/Y, FR/LG were horrible, just horrible.

~Unknown

Years
  • Remakes~ I don't let nostalgia cloud my judgement.
    I much more enjoyed the longer story, the added gameplay, so on, as apposed to the originals. It made for me feeling like I got my moneys worth.

Years
  • I perfer R/B/Y Solely because Mew was a Hidden Pokemon and Strike my whole gameplay when I found out I couldn't get a Mew unless it was an event that you had to go to to get one.

I also Perfer G/S/C because I had Gold when it first came out and loved it (Cyndaquil all the way.) Also when I found out that the last pokemon was #251, Celebi (Also another event Pokemon I had really wanted)

This Generations Pokemon to me however...its fun and everything, but the feeling and hype isn't there anymore. I mean think about it for a second when you found out back in the day, Pokemon The First Movie Came out. How much hype was it? I miss those days. =\

- MegamanC

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
    Years
  • Nostalgia purposes, and even difficulty reasons, I prefer the original. Maybe it's just because I was a young kid at the time, but the original was seriously harder than the remakes ^.^

Years
  • Originals hands down. Grew up on them and I will always remember spending hours playing them. The feeling you got when to caught a rare pokemon or win a hard battle was wicked! Never gonna forget.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'd actually have to say Remakes for both Gen 1 & 2. As much as I love originals and nostalgia etc. The remakes just had so much more to offer and not to mention the graphics, I'm fine with older graphics for a certain amount of time.. I'm definitely looking forward to the next set of remakes.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2013
    As much as I love the originals, it always annoyed me that you couldn't run. And the graphics play a role in my picking the remakes too.

zigazav

Fanfiction writer inactive
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2017
    ORIGINALS. All the way.

The remakes of Gold and Silver (i.e., HeartGold, SoulSilver) were fantastic games, don't get me wrong here. But the problem is, they didn't capture the same magic, the beauty of the originals. The original Silver had terribad graphics, but I've grown to love them. 3D doesn't do it for me.

The 8-bit soundtrack -- oh my God! It was the best soundtrack ever released for any game of any system. The Gen IV remakes were good, too, but they were just that -- remakes.

tl;dr -- new games, great. old games, magic.
    You do know that HG/SS lets you use the original versions of the game's music at some point, right? For me, I perfer the remakes, since that's all I have out of the 2nd and 1st gen, though my sister's the one who owns the copy of LG we have at home. But still, I kinda miss Glitch City, never have played through that one area though. And I'd perfer to play the originals, when it comes to rom hacks, since I don't know if I can play rom hacked versions of the remakes on my MMD.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I prefer RBY/GSC because I'm a very nostalgic and sentimental person, and a Pokémon Purist.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    The originals, definitely.

The oldschool graphics and music make them waaaaaay better.

But I still like the reamkes.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • I'm not really decided on which I like more as both have their pros and cons, but I do like each one for what they're worth. I find the originals to be quite fun and challenging (especially in the case of Yellow's upgraded Gym Leaders) due to the slightly earlier battle mechanics and smaller possible move pools, plus trying out some of the major glitches can keep you entertained for hours. The newer games provide updated versions with things such as natures, far better graphics and a lot more end-game content. I guess I'd have to say that I prefer the original during the battles as they are more challenging, while the remakes perform better in terms of the overworld.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Originals, due to the quirky charms that make them what they are.
    The remakes are streamlined, which is to be expected and they are the better games, but it isn't very conductive of the original feel.

Years
  • I would say remakes...they are usualy better than originals.
    Like new pkmn,legendarys text and such

Edit: but pkmn crystal is best of all gb and gbc pkmn games :D.

Back