• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The PC Box Problem

Pkmn Trainer Touko

King N's Queen
Years
  • Did anyone else notice that we are no longer able to name our PC boxes with more than 4 digits?

We have room to type 8 characters, but can't put more than 4 numbers!!!

This is a real bummer because, I was planning on doing the national dex in this game. I did the national dex in SS and I was able to name my boxes using 6 digits. So I could name my last box, 463-493 for example. But now, for example, my last box cannot be named 619-649

It was really easily to manage also, because when I'd take a Pokemon out of its box, I'd be able to quickly put it back in its correct spot, by reading the names of each box.

I really don't understand this change, because I recall from my Diamond/Pearl Pokedex guidebook, the book suggested that we name our boxes like 000-000, with 6 digits.

So...those of you out there that are planning on doing the Unova Dex, or the National Dex, how are you going to efficiently organize your pokemon, without labeling the boxes by the correct numbers?

Why would they do this?! I can't find a way around it.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • I don't have this problem... o.O

Edit: Nevermind, I misread your post a little. Yeah, that's odd. :/

Last edited:

Pkmn Trainer Touko

King N's Queen
    Years
  • I just call my boxes ~30, ~60, and so on :)

Yea, I guess that's the best we can do.

It's not as efficient though. I'm really disappointed that they made that change.

They make 649 Pokemon, brainwash us into thinking that we gotta catch em all-lol, but then they make it hard for us to organize them.

I hope they'll fix it in Pokemon Grey.

Zurenriri

Has What Grass-Types Crave
    Years
  • I sort mine by type (box names: Normal1, Normal2, Fire, Water1, Water2, etc) ... so not a huge problem for me but yeah I can see how that would be aggravating.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I guess we'll have to abbreviate names very short. I usually have long names so this is a problem... :/

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    8 characters, 4 digits, hm...

O = one hundred
    T = two hundred
    H = three hundred
    F = four hundred
    V = five hundred
    S = Six hundred

Or you could go with Th for three and Fi for five, but then you wouldn't have room for a hyphen and it would look more like Fi19Fi60 or whatever. But it would work.

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    CDXCIV - DCXLIX ...that's Unova and that won't fit either.

Years
  • Yeah that is a bit odd, I've got my boxes sorted into typings so I hadn't come across this problem, it's a bit of an unnecessary restriction.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2011
    Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who ran into this. Blood about shot out of my eyes when I ran into this problem. I think it's ONLY when you have unlocked all 24 boxes. How arbitrary is that?

I guarantee you this will be a "feature" for the third version. It pisses me off.

Roman numerals is to cumbersome. The best way to do it is how others suggested, something like "~30, ~60, etc."

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • ... ... ... ... ... :O

That's just screwed up -.-
    I had no idea until now, as I either organize by types or levels, and I didn't have enough boxes to name one "Lv91-100".
    Like I said, screwed up.

fire woven

Erif Nevow, my RP name
    Years
  • Hmm I dont tend to use Box names, just to seperate my pokemon for my team, my legendarys/events, and then the other pokemon get put in some random order. I never got hardcore about finishing the dex though, but I think this time around I am gonna try it.

Also am I the only one who wants them to just make the move button first in the list? I use that more than the others for some reason.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm not sure if this is what the "~30" thing is, but you could also just put the last number that you put in that box. You know the first one starts at 1, and you can check the box before it for the first number of the one you're in if it becomes an issue.

Back