• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The PCNation

Years
    What about ranked voting? You rank the parties/candidates in order, and if your first choice doesn't win a majority, then your vote goes to your second choice. That way you decide where your vote goes even if your preferred candidate doesn't win.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    What about ranked voting? You rank the parties/candidates in order, and if your first choice doesn't win a majority, then your vote goes to your second choice. That way you decide where your vote goes even if your preferred candidate doesn't win.

That sounds good, I'd be okay with that.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    That sounds good, I'd be okay with that.

I like that as well.

i dont like the American system because you do not need a majority of people to win an election- only a certain majority in a few states. If i recall exactly, I think you can win the presidency with only 17% of the popular vote.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    As long as it isn't that electoral college **** I'm fine. Romney should've won last election since the populous had a higher percentage in votes, but be lost because Obama had a higher percentage of votes by electoral college.

Last edited:
    Years
    That's not true. Obama carried the popular vote with 66 million, while Romney got 61. Not sure which numbers you're using.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    That's not true. Obama carried the popular vote with 66 million, while Romney got 61. Not sure which numbers you're using.

I was pretty sure it was Romney. Anyways, let us do away with no electoral college stuff.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I was pretty sure it was Romney. Anyways, let us do away with no electoral college stuff.
    You sure you're not thinking of the Bush-Gore election?

But yeah, no electoral college please.

Sword Master

You underestimate my power!
    Years
    So let's get back to talking about PC's nation Parliament. I think we should a wide range of parties, and there should be two houses like the UK and American one.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    What is the purpose of a two house parliament/congress anyway? I never saw the point in having both the House of Reps and the Senate in the US government. A one house legislature is fine by me.

Sword Master

You underestimate my power!
    Years
    Well, we can have a unelected house that is made up of experts who look at the elected houses legislation, and decide if it's really right for the country.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    Well, we can have a unelected house that is made up of experts who look at the elected houses legislation, and decide if it's really right for the country.

Yes, I like this. Sort of like a board of advisers? For example, prominent people in the military or former statesmen could advise. The issue I have with the board of advisors is giving a former elected member too much power, so maybe the board of advisers can be voted upon, as well as the elected houses legislation? Or am I completely misunderstanding you lol?

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    Honestly, we should just have a Senate with people elected as the representative of that state. That way, every state or province will have equal representation.

Years

Doesn't an unelected house like that kind of defeat the purpose of having a democracy in the first place? The government's chief concern should be representing the will of the people and an unelected upper house can't do that.

Now, for those who seem confused, the point of an upper house is to provide another level of scrutiny for any bills that are being pushed through parliament. The idea is that the upper house can go through bills passed by the lower and reject them/point out flaws to produce better quality laws. Whilst I can certainly see the benefit of this, I've seen a lot of stonewalling and political games played through the upper house here and I'm sure that a lot of places have similar issues. With that said, I'd be perfectly okay with a single house.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    Doesn't an unelected house like that kind of defeat the purpose of having a democracy in the first place? The government's chief concern should be representing the will of the people and an unelected upper house can't do that.

Now, for those who seem confused, the point of an upper house is to provide another level of scrutiny for any bills that are being pushed through parliament. The idea is that the upper house can go through bills passed by the lower and reject them/point out flaws to produce better quality laws. Whilst I can certainly see the benefit of this, I've seen a lot of stonewalling and political games played through the upper house here and I'm sure that a lot of places have similar issues. With that said, I'd be perfectly okay with a single house.

I like the upper house because it does provide more checks and balances, despite it being more inefficient.

Years
    I like the upper house because it does provide more checks and balances, despite it being more inefficient.

In theory I love the upper house, it's only in practice that I'm less fond of the idea.
    Not to mention it would be a bit hard to actually implement a two-house government in this event.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    In theory I love the upper house, it's only in practice that I'm less fond of the idea.
    Not to mention it would be a bit hard to actually implement a two-house government in this event.

Then how can we guarantee the quality of laws, and if they are constitutional and not limiting freedom? Now we are putting more authority on a small group of people. Its better than a single ruler, but still not optimal.

It may be a bit more difficult. :)

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    The problem is efficiency over quality. I say that we might need a strong Judicial branch to check our one house parliament so we do have quality laws if we go to a one house parliament.

Years
    An upper house made of unelected advisors might be a good idea if the scope of their power is contained. For example, they are only allowed to suggest non-binding amendments to legislation. This satisfies two needs: 1) their suggestions are non-binding so we don't have a unelected body that can make binding decisions, which also leads to less of an incentive to ply the upper house with partisan members and 2) it would still be effective because if the lower house ignores expert advice it makes them look overly political and self-interested.

The way a bill becomes law might look like this given the above example:

Bill gets introduced in lower house. It gets debated. It comes under a vote. If it passes, the bill gets to the upper house. It gets debated. The upper house decides on amendments to the bill. It gets back to the lower house. It gets debated again, this time with consideration of the amendments suggested by the upper house. The lower house debates the virtues of the amendments, votes on which amendments to apply, and then the bill is finalized. It comes under a final vote. If it passes, it becomes law.

Back