• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Planning Thread for "quality fanfic archive"

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Aha, thanks about the explanation on the subject of "wall". I completely agree with you on that not anyone should be permitted to comment fics, or authors, for the matter. Maybe we should even have a sort of 24 hour quarantine before a newly registered member can post :laugh: That'd stop the flamers, for sure. Anyway, I think everyone has to be able to read the fic on the site. Isn't that why we're doing this?
Ahh, I so want to be an authority on a site like that... I want to ban all stupid spammer/flamer members! Wo-hoo! :badsmile:

Besides, jeffb... Post Office Buddy (can I call you either POB or jeffback?), we trusted you wouldn't drop out on us. What would this all be without you? *sob* Anyway, nice of you to drop by and say "hi" before vanishing off into busyland again! :laugh: Frankly, I think we're all more or less frequent guests in busyland nowadays, so no biggie...

...Man, I really overuse that :laugh: -thingy...

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Well, I found two fics I've previously read and found good in the Completed Fics section of Serebii.

Seeing as I'm not allowed to link to other forums (or will Astinus excuse me?), they are the all hated Pokemon Revelation - Cross of Fates by xXSaberXx and "Two of a Kind" by CyberCubed.
I remember you said something about them having to be contactable? One of them was on yesterday, the other right now.

And...do they have to be Pokemon fanfiction or...?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Since you're not linking to SPPf saying "JOIN HERE AND OBEY JOE!" it's okay. XD

You're linking to add information to the thread. So that's fine.

And "Two Of a Kind" is so not CyberCubed's all-hated fic. Oh gods no. The wank involving that fic was insane. ;-;

I know xXSaberXx a bit, but haven't really talked to Scott (CyberCubed). Dx

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I meant Revelation was all-hated. Or sort of. xDDD
Alright then, seeing as I can bend the rule a bit, here are the fics:
"Two of a kind" (AdvanceShipping, PG-13) by CyberCubed and
Pokemon Revelation: Cross of Fates (PG-13) by xXSaberXx
Never Forgotten (One-Shot) by Gardevoir Girl
Live Together, Die Together (Short Story) by Gardevoir Girl
Wor!! Gardevoir Girl's fics are really emotionably stuffed. Gotta go to ed so... yah

Actually, screw it.
http://www.serebiiforums.com/search.php?searchid=8396025
All of her fics...

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
OK, so I'm back after some time fiddling with the model. At least the computer accepted it so I can now begin to build things upon. But I will have to restrain myself until I clear some other stuff.

And now to the questions:

Do you have to sign up to read the fics?
Not in the current model. But it can be implemented if somehow the need comes. The current model works by the premise that "if it was published, it is viewable". Actually given that the original idea for the site was to be an "archive", the whole idea of registering for anything except publishing is somewhat overstretched.

How are the authors selected? Meaning, how do you get the status of an author? Which comes first, the fic or the status change?
That's a point I haven't been able to clear yet, as the model can not possibly establish the real-life requirements of author subscription without leaving some things astray. Like, if the status comes first, then we can have authors who have never published anything.
My guess right now is that the admins will have to grant the status of "Author" once they approve of the first published work. After all, the main idea was that we would manage what stories were in, right?

Do the authors have to manage their author's profiles and fics themselves?
That's a definitive YES. Author profiles, and member profiles in general, work the same way as they do in FF.net: they are essentialy minipages. Each member is responsible to keep their own up to date.

I think that we should allow anyone to read fictions, but not allow just anyone to comment on them...
That would be intended exact working of the site. However, I was also thinking that to avoid overcentralization, comments would not be allowed on site. Most, if not all of the FFs registered in would come actually from other source, like Serebii, PC or FF.net, where at that point comments on them would already be available. Again, the main idea was to work as an archive.

The selection of authors is one question I cannot answer, so I shall leave that one to Solovino...
And I will have to politely step aside and leave that one to the actual judged:disappoin

Dunno, actually. I can't recall the first posts explicitly stating this was to be a Pokémon QFA... but at the same time I can recall that is was the state of the (lack of) art on Pokémon FF that sprang poeple onto this.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Yeah, if we did other FF's it wouldtake us literally forever. THERE ARE THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF FICS ON FFNET!!!
But luckily there are only a hundred or so completed fics on Serebii.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years

Well, that kind of was the original idea. For it to be only Pokémon fanfiction, I mean. But, if this is a big success and we get a zillion volunteers contact us because they want to help... Nothing can stop us from expanding our site to other fandoms as well. Sooner or later we'll end up as the rulers of the world, but that'll be another story.

As for those fics, Lakitu, I'll add them to the first post soon. Thank you for being so hardworking! It's great that someone's doing something :laugh: All I've done lately is to slack off, play PMD and read Wikipedia articles about the history of Japan (don't ask). But I'm also studying Japanese, so I'm not doing only unnecessary stuff.
How would me learning Japanese help this project?
Let's not ask awkward questions, okay? ^-^'

Also, solovino, wlecome back from whatever it was you were doing. I also thank you for being so hardworking for this project. As I said, it's good that someone's doing something. As for what you said about your model for the page, everything seems to be fine there. I just think us mods should have the authority to modify author's profiles in some cases, mostly about the fics that author has published. I don't know if that's indeed necessary, but I think it would be good for us to have the chance to so. You know, when we accept a fic and put it in the archive, we could also update the author's profile on that matter.

Also, about the comments: I thought we'd only have some contact information on the author's profile so that people can send them e-mail or PM if they're members on the same forums. Also I thought we should make an e-mail address for us, the moderators, so that people can comment the site and send in fic recommendations. I thought we could have a single address, like [email protected] or something and every mod would have access for that account or something.
Whatever I thought, scratch that and think of some awesome way to make a commenting system. I tend to make things too difficult. I leave this up to you guys.

Anyway, I have tons of extra time tomorrow, so I guess I'll be making an assault to FFnet again. I still have some places there I haven't yet looked in. I contacted a mod on a certain board a while back, but she still hasn't contacted me back. Either she doesn't read her e-mails very often or then she doesn't want to co-operate with us on this. That board only has five or so pages of fanfiction anyway, so it won't be such a pain to manually search them trough.
A lot more of a pain thought than in would have been if that mod contacted me. How utterly annoying.

I'll be off to update the first post, now. Then I'll probably go to sleep, concidering it's 3.05 AM here.
Have a good night/day/evening/morning, depending on what time it is where you are!

//Edit: Whoops, it seems I can't edit my first post now. I can't get to serebii, it seems they're down or something... Or then our connection is being funny again. Either way, I'll try again tomorrow.
Whatever time that might be where you are.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Most of the fics in the completed section are pretty good, so I'll just look a bit more.

Love Me Forever(PG-14, Requim Entry) by Araleon.
A bit violent, a bit lot suicidal but good nonetheless.
You Raise Me Up (Requiem entry) by Brian Powell.
Taming Evil by elyvorg.
All threads started by Brian Powell. Many fics by Brian Powell. All that say "Completed Fics" as to wher they are are completed, and, I'd say, pretty good. I remember reading "She will be loved" and it was good, even if I don't support PokeShipping.
The Forgotten Son by Banov read this one on FF I think. It's on Serebii too, though.
Shadows of Fear: Journey with a Brain by Morpher 01
AAHH!!! Damnit, pretty much all the fanfics in the completed section are good!
Completed Fics
JOIN HERE AND OBEY JOE!
Most of those are good.

Tell me if I'm going too lightly and I should pick some better fics for eligibility.
Dangit, Shadows of Fear's so addictive...I want to write a Pokemon POV fic now. Darn.

Last edited:

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Sure is quiet around here nowadays. I've been cheking out FFnet, but I haven't found anything good in a while. After reading 20 shipping fics or so, I start to get a headache... Well, I just thought I'd post something here before it's concidered bumping and we have to do another thread. I'll add those fics to the first post soon enough, now that serebii works on my browser again. (seriously, is it down that often or is my browser somehow broken?)

When the set of criteria is ready, we might want to start evaluating the fics. But, first, there's something I just have to ask.

Are you people in this project anymore?
I kind of understand if people want to quit now that this isn't a new, shiny idea anymore... Expecially concidering how we're either hitting the top or our heads to a wall with this thing. You can't know if you don't try, right?

So, who's still in this thing, huh?

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Hey, An-chan, I'm still alive.

It is true that things have gone slow. Maybe it's because the end of the worldyear is coming? At least I have lots of things to do. I haven't really worked on the corrections for the database model, I'm just creating the sample site, and I still have to wait til the end of the month to have that meeting and see what will happen with the hosting.

I hope you guys are doing better. Really.

Oh, and you won't get rid of me that easily! I promised hours-per-week once we can get this thing started, so I'm all for keep going until we crash our heads against a‑a‑a‑a‑a‑Idon'tknow what kind of brick wall.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
All right! ^-^ I'm glad to hear from you guys!

The truth is, I've bee terribly busy, too. I also will be busy pretty much for the rest of the year... Well, anyway, keep up the good work, everyone, and I'll try to find more new places to seek good fics from, too.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I'm procrastinating WHILE stealing all the good fics for myself to find. Serebii's quite a treasure tove. Oh, Gardevoir Girl Golden Riolu posted a one-shot just a little bit ago here. Check that out. Oh, and never fear An-chan, I'm very much alive. Just hacking. And...being bored. Yah. And going nuts over my new phone. If anyone wants to check Serebii alongside me, feel free to do it. Actually, do it. NOW. Seeing as you guys are failing to get good fics where you're looking right now and I'm procrastinating pretty darn badly. :P

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
Why do the fics have to be "at least almost complete"?

Also, can we suggest our own fics? Because I have a current story which was elected the last Fanfiction of the Month here (but I asked to have it removed for... personal reasons- Astinus can vouch for me) and a Oneshot which came 5th out of 11 in a Serebii contest, which have been completely dead here as of the past half-dozen months.

Alex31

Pro D<
Years
Hum, nice idea, I dislike the 'needs to be almost complete one', but the rest flow smoothly.
Good idea, and I hope to get reading some of these listed

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
Years
Why do the fics have to be "at least almost complete"?
We want them at least nearly complete so that we don't have readers getting to the middle of the story just to discover that the author discontinued writing it. Also, we want to start the archive off with a decent selection of quality, finished fictions before broadening our search to include works in progress. So in the future we may start accepting fictions that are about halfway completed, but for now we only want completed or nearly completed fics.

Hum, nice idea, I dislike the 'needs to be almost complete one', but the rest flow smoothly.
Good idea, and I hope to get reading some of these listed
If you would like, then you can sign up to help us. We're always looking for more help here, since looking over hundreds of fictions can be quite tedious for a small number of people. If you want to help, then just let us know one way or another and we'll add you to the list.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
I think it's about time the good fanfiction got properly distinguished from all the n00by garbage out there. Count me in as a reviewer, please! Are there any forms I need to sign or something?

Post Office Buddy

Years
No forms, technically speaking, but we do like to see a sample of a review you have done in the past and a sample of your own writing. I see that you have several fiction links in your sig, so just specify which you would like me to look over and provide a sample of your reviewing skills and An-chan will place you on the reviewer list ^^

EDIT: Still not used to seeing Buckethead as my avatar XD

Post Office Buddy

Years
Okay, looks good. An-chan may have already added you to the list, so welcome to the team!

Also, I had forgotten that I had already been reading your fictions, both your parody and your fan fic. I actually realized mid-VM to An-chan last night that you were the author of the Gary Stu parody.

Anyway, with two(?) more people we can split into two reviewing teams, which will make life a LOT easier. So lets find us some more reviewers! ^^

Also, An-chan, you can add Unfortunately Blue by Bobandbill to the list. IComeAnon nominated it last night and I totally forgot to tell you. I already got permission from said author, so we can officially count it in. Also, you may want to put something by each fic we have found that says either "Request approved by author" or "Request Pending", depending on the situation. That way we know which ones have been approved so far and which haven't.

Back