• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The PokéCommunity Battle Frontier Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • @ wolf your doing it all wrong,The battle frontier is very different from competitve battleing.You cant use stuff like the hariyama effectivly.
    What would go with crotomb would be a toxi-staller perhaps vapreon,zapdos(subroost) or skarmory(which has sturdy which is a plus)?
    And you really need one fast pokemon(which according to me you should lead with)Like infernape or latios/as with it.Metagross is nice but not really useful with 2 other slow pokemon.one blazingly fast pokemon is reccomended.

So your line up should look like fastpokemon/toxi-staller/crotomb.
    I think it will work well enough to get to 100 but you never know till you try,hope I helped.

FinalPaladin

役 フロンティア
    Years
  • @ wolf your doing it all wrong,The battle frontier is very different from competitve battleing.You cant use stuff like the hariyama effectivly.
    What would go with crotomb would be a toxi-staller perhaps vapreon,zapdos(subroost) or skarmory(which has sturdy which is a plus)?
    And you really need one fast pokemon(which according to me you should lead with)Like infernape or latios/as with it.Metagross is nice but not really useful with 2 other slow pokemon.one blazingly fast pokemon is reccomended.

So your line up should look like fastpokemon/toxi-staller/crotomb.
    I think it will work well enough to get to 100 but you never know till you try,hope I helped.

couldnt have put it better myself, vaporeon makes an exellence toxic staller(i have one on my battle tower team),also moves like roar and whirlwind dont work in the frontier and neither do stealth rock or spikes, haze can be used to stop pokes that spam defence boosting moves.

does any one else think that lucky chant would be a good move to use in the tower, as i kepp getting crited.

also could i have a set for gliscor,i want to use it for the castle,i want to use it to kill darach's 2nd team

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • moves like roar and whirlwind dont work in the frontier and neither do stealth rock or spikes, haze can be used to stop pokes that spam defence boosting moves.
    100% not true. Roar, whirlwind and even SR / spikes can certainly work in the Battle Frontier. (SR isn't as effective as competitive plays, due to switching, but it can still play a role on some teams -- it can turn 2HKOs to OHKOs, etc) Sure, the AI doesn't switch, but you can still force them to switch.

Also, roar/whirl can be extremely effective on leads if you don't think you match up well or want to cripple something else. :/

Years
  • 100% not true. Roar, whirlwind and even SR / spikes can certainly work in the Battle Frontier. (SR isn't as effective as competitive plays, due to switching, but it can still play a role on some teams -- it can turn 2HKOs to OHKOs, etc) Sure, the AI doesn't switch, but you can still force them to switch.
    Also, roar/whirl can be extremely effective on leads if you don't think you match up well or want to cripple something else. :/
    Very true,I would have to agree,hows the master arcade battlers streak/s going?
    well I havent gotten to many streaks cause of exams but holidays are coming get ready for an onslaught you gay[sensored word here]of a frontier :p

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Very true,I would have to agree,hows the master arcade battlers streak/s going?
    I actually just lost on battle #176, making the final number 175.

How Rome Finally Fell

I get home from a tiring school day, poised to win another streak. (trying to win a round a day to shake off my rust) The team had destroyed the past two rounds the last two days, shocking me because I hadn't played in many months. I think one of the main mental errors I made was thinking that I was already back into the swing of the game board and was looking too far ahead to 200.

Anyway, warstory.

I wait as the panel selector flies past on the screen, wanting to sick Regice (which the team dislikes, but it's certainly not impossible) with a burn status, making Umbreon's job much much easier. (Because of the damn ability, I can't just sick it with crippling moves, sadly) Unfortunately, the button before burn was selected. (ally sleep) At this point I'm still fine, Salamence being asleep would be most preferred, since he wouldn't really be able to set up against this team. However, Umbreon was crippled. I stick around, trying to remove this status, but Regice starts duking out Focus Blast. I switch to Salamence, absorb it, then switch to Suicune to absorb the expected ice beam... Here's the fun part...

I absorbed the ice beam just fine and get two calm minds in as Regice goes crazy with thunderbolt. Which I'm fine with as well, because that's 2 PP knocked off each time. However, another unfortunate event strikes, as I rest for the second time, heartbreak... Thunderbolt crits, Suicune's red now, because Suicune is faster, I was stuck asleep, and so was Umbreon... Salamence can't take on a team with +0 Outrage, either.

You know what happens now, another unfortunate event. I designed my Umbreon for these moments to ride the storm against special attackers and perform magnificently. Focus blast misses some more, and I continue to stay asleep. I swear, I was asleep the max amount of turns. (At least 4, it truly sucked) So I can't yawn to give Salamence the window of opportunity to win it all. (+0 Outrage might not beat teams, but +1 can) So all I need is one yawn, get KO'd, I'd still win. But nope, stayed asleep the entire time, then KO'd by thunderbolt.

Salamence comes in, a lil bit weakened. I have to Outrage here, can't sub 'cause he'll just ice beam me to death. Outrage doesn't OHKO, Ice Beam in return smacks the team a loss.

So that's that, the team I proclaimed as immortal, has died. I still believe that, though, because god damn they're so magnificent, I dunno if I can make anything better than that that hasn't already been thought up).

An amazing amount of people have begged to know the team, so I'll gladly post it this weekend, now that the fun ride is over. Ya'know, third time really is the charm. Their third streak and they get within ~25 of 200? Hell, that was so much fun. So many close battles, entire rounds survived with choice items, etc. Looking back, I had so much fun, and this team really just rocks.

FinalPaladin

役 フロンティア
    Years
  • I actually just lost on battle #176, making the final number 175.

How Rome Finally Fell

I get home from a tiring school day, poised to win another streak. (trying to win a round a day to shake off my rust) The team had destroyed the past two rounds the last two days, shocking me because I hadn't played in many months. I think one of the main mental errors I made was thinking that I was already back into the swing of the game board and was looking too far ahead to 200.

Anyway, warstory.

I wait as the panel selector flies past on the screen, wanting to sick Regice (which the team dislikes, but it's certainly not impossible) with a burn status, making Umbreon's job much much easier. (Because of the damn ability, I can't just sick it with crippling moves, sadly) Unfortunately, the button before burn was selected. (ally sleep) At this point I'm still fine, Salamence being asleep would be most preferred, since he wouldn't really be able to set up against this team. However, Umbreon was crippled. I stick around, trying to remove this status, but Regice starts duking out Focus Blast. I switch to Salamence, absorb it, then switch to Suicune to absorb the expected ice beam... Here's the fun part...

I absorbed the ice beam just fine and get two calm minds in as Regice goes crazy with thunderbolt. Which I'm fine with as well, because that's 2 PP knocked off each time. However, another unfortunate event strikes, as I rest for the second time, heartbreak... Thunderbolt crits, Suicune's red now, because Suicune is faster, I was stuck asleep, and so was Umbreon... Salamence can't take on a team with +0 Outrage, either.

You know what happens now, another unfortunate event. I designed my Umbreon for these moments to ride the storm against special attackers and perform magnificently. Focus blast misses some more, and I continue to stay asleep. I swear, I was asleep the max amount of turns. (At least 4, it truly sucked) So I can't yawn to give Salamence the window of opportunity to win it all. (+0 Outrage might not beat teams, but +1 can) So all I need is one yawn, get KO'd, I'd still win. But nope, stayed asleep the entire time, then KO'd by thunderbolt.

Salamence comes in, a lil bit weakened. I have to Outrage here, can't sub 'cause he'll just ice beam me to death. Outrage doesn't OHKO, Ice Beam in return smacks the team a loss.

So that's that, the team I proclaimed as immortal, has died. I still believe that, though, because god damn they're so magnificent, I dunno if I can make anything better than that that hasn't already been thought up).

An amazing amount of people have begged to know the team, so I'll gladly post it this weekend, now that the fun ride is over. Ya'know, third time really is the charm. Their third streak and they get within ~25 of 200? Hell, that was so much fun. So many close battles, entire rounds survived with choice items, etc. Looking back, I had so much fun, and this team really just rocks.

when that happens, dont u just wanna chainsaw your ds to death.im on about a 63 streak with my rubbish team, could i have a lead infernape for the battle tower. maybe one with fake out and u-turn and maybe fire punch and CC, please help

oh and have you seen the battle tower record on smogon,its like frickin 400

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • when that happens, dont u just wanna chainsaw your ds to death.im on about a 63 streak with my rubbish team, could i have a lead infernape for the battle tower. maybe one with fake out and u-turn and maybe fire punch and CC, please help

oh and have you seen the battle tower record on smogon,its like frickin 400
    More like 696, lol. Peterko's brilliant, so much respect for the guy.

And also, FinalPaladin, I actually didn't feel like chopping my DS to pieces. Oddly, I felt a wave of... relief. o_o; I can finally look back and admire my accomplishment, actually focus and work on other teams, and simply take a break from that monster of a team. I'd like to post the team today, but I need A) camera with quality and B) a lot of time on the computer. We'll see how it shapes out.

FinalPaladin

役 フロンティア
    Years
  • More like 696, lol. Peterko's brilliant, so much respect for the guy.

And also, FinalPaladin, I actually didn't feel like chopping my DS to pieces. Oddly, I felt a wave of... relief. o_o; I can finally look back and admire my accomplishment, actually focus and work on other teams, and simply take a break from that monster of a team. I'd like to post the team today, but I need A) camera with quality and B) a lot of time on the computer. We'll see how it shapes out.

i would have felt like feeding my ds to my dog, still need infernape set

Jukain-Arashi

PM me for Lockerz invitation.
    Years
  • My Battle Frontier Team!

I'd like people to rate this. I am open to ALL suggestions. Please don't spam with comments saying "this sucks" I tried to get a team set up before school started (which means I had only a week to get all 8 badges, beat the elites, and then get to the Battle Frontier). Thanks!

BTW this is a team of five because I plan to use these Pokemon in all my Frontier challenges, the combination that I use will be different however.
    Sceptile @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    Overgrow
    Timid
    4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
    ~Leaf Storm
    ~Energy Ball
    ~Focus Blast
    ~HP Ice/Dragon Pulse

Lucario @ Choice Specs
    Inner Focus
    Modest/Timid
    4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
    ~Aura Sphere
    ~Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse
    ~HP Rock/HP Ice/Dragon Pulse
    ~Vacuum Wave

Starmie @ Expert Belt
    Natural Cure
    Timid
    4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
    ~Hydro Pump/Surf
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Recover/Psychic

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
    Sand Veil
    Jolly
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
    ~Swords Dance
    ~Earthquake
    ~Dragon Claw
    ~Stone Edge/Fire Fang

Infernape @ Expert Belt
    Blaze
    Mild
    4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
    ~Flamethrower
    ~Close Combat
    ~HP Ice/Thunder Punch/Grass Knot
    ~U-Turn

Last edited:

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • GengarMaster... it's certainly puzzling. These don't look designed to handle the Battle Frontier's extreme presence of luck and unbelievably "cheap" strategies. You've got Stone Edge on Garchomp, which is one of the worst moves you can enter with. (Focus Blast, as well, won't perform nearly as well as you might expect) Moves like those just miss far too much and cost you games. I don't see a true strategy here, either... just fast and powerful, and eventually, a Quick Claw Pokemon is going to walk all over you. Slapping three attacking (and most frail) Pokemon together and expecting to win will probably leave you sore and disappointed in your results. Sure, with proper EVs and excellent IVs you might have some of a run, but eventually, luck's gonna hit you were it hurts. Then again, some people slap some of the weirdest teams together of sweepers and get over 100. (Which I'll never understand how they can be so lucky in a deadly-luck-filled part of the game)

I also dislike a set five-man crew for every facility, but that might just be my take on things. Some teams thrive in the Arcade and flail in the Castle. Tower teams that perform excessively well on one strategy will get rocked in the Arcade, etc.

My suggestions:

1. Scratch the whole five-poke thing. You're going to have different teams (and most likely, approaches) to each facility, so that's flat.

2. Develop a strategy to deal with all the luck that you're going to be swarmed with. Trick-Scarf, Yawn & cripple, Toxic-stalling are some of the most notable strategies out there to abuse the AI's inability to switch.

3. Stop your EVing and progress on those guys, you've got to carefully build and theorymon teams before jumping into things.

But it's up to you, try your crew of sweepers and I'd bet you'll see first hand how cautious you have to be to eliminate the insane hax thrown at you. (critical hits say hi)

Experience: 164 in DP Tower / 175 in Pt Arcade

FinalPaladin

役 フロンティア
    Years
  • hey guys here is (anouther) unfair battle factory log

i haVE scizor,aerodactyl and slowking he has heatran,regice and raikou (total hax)

eli (me) sends in scizor
    thorton sends in heatran

scizor endure now
    heatran used flamethrower i endured the hit, scizors salac berry activated

scizor used reversal, it missed
    heatran kills with dragon pulse

go aero
    aero killed heatran with EQ,

he sends in regice, i swicth to slow king

i take the expected ice beam
    i then switch to aero,he then thunderbolts i loose about 3/4 of my hp

i then kill him with a crtical rockslide (im thinkin YEH)

he sends in raikou, i switch to slow king and take an iron head,
    he then used crunch and killed me

i send scarfed aero back in and go to kill with EQ,
    then WTF the raikou attacks before my scarfed aero and kills it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xLy9YTXyGc i found this video on youtube and that same raikou that can out speed scarfed pokes is on it

Jukain-Arashi

PM me for Lockerz invitation.
    Years
  • @Beachy: Thank you for your reply and analysis. The movesets that I outlined are from Smogon, with a few modifications. The Infernape that I listed was used by my brother in the Battle Tower in his Diamond version, and he has told me that it work wonders. Are there any Pokemon or movesets that you would like to recommend? I'm open to all suggestions.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I'll took all your suggestions dark_seeker, but the team didn't really go well so I'm making a new one. Currently 46 on Battle Tower with it (the new one), and I'll post it when I have beaten my old record. :3

FinalPaladin

役 フロンティア
    Years
  • yo, i really want to know what is wrong with that damned raikou,it doesnt have choice scarf or quick claw,doesnt have quick powder as that only works for ditto,please tell me.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    yo, i really want to know what is wrong with that damned raikou,it doesnt have choice scarf or quick claw,doesnt have quick powder as that only works for ditto,please tell me.
    These are all the Raikou in Battle Frontier:
    898 | Raikou | Timid | Lum Berry | Thunderbolt | Shadow Ball | Thunder Wave | Light Screen | SpA/Spe
    912 | Raikou | Jolly | King's Rock | Thunder Fang | Crunch | Iron Head | Return | Atk/Spe
    926 | Raikou | Modest | Wise Glasses | Thunder | Extrasensory | Signal Beam | Rain Dance | SpA/Spe
    940 | Raikou | Modest | Shuca Berry | Thunderbolt | Extrasensory | Shadow Ball | Calm Mind | SpA/Spe
    None of them are holding a Choice Scarf, so it was probably a glitch.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
  • I have a 28-win streak in Battle Castle and a 21-win streak in the Arcade
    2/3 of my team was actually part of my in-game team and not intended for competitive play.
    Luck has obviously been on my side throughout my Battle Frontier-ing.

Charizard @ King's Rock
    Quirky
    ??? EV's

Air Slash
    Flamethrower
    Thunderpunch
    Dragon Claw

*Shiny*Tyranitar @ Sitrus Berry
    Adamant
    4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe

Stone Edge
    E-Quake
    Crunch
    Thunderpunch

Garchomp @ Nothing
    Lonely
    ??? EV's

Fire Fang
    Dragon Claw
    Dig
    Crunch

My Charizard has pretty good type coverage and ok speed (Though I know I'll have to get a better lead soon: 128 Special Attack just doesn't cut it), and while it sweeps any and all bug or grass-types, it is KO'd in almost every round, which is quite costly on the Castle Points.
    The flinch factor is a huge help on the likes of Swampert and Milotic (Which were both in the same team not too long ago).
    My T-Tar is just beastly, with a max Speed IV might I add.
    I think I've only had to use Garchomp a few times. As proven time and time again, anything sturdy enough to outlast Charizard is slow enough to get mauled by T-Tar.

It's a decent team, I think.

Edit: I just love it when fight types try to pull that endure-reversal crap on T-Tar. It's like they forget that I have Sandstream.

Years
  • I'll took all your suggestions dark_seeker, but the team didn't really go well so I'm making a new one. Currently 46 on Battle Tower with it (the new one), and I'll post it when I have beaten my old record. :3
    how far did ya get with my suggestions and what were you using and what did you feel the weak link of the team was?
    please tell me I want to know what i did/said wrong or something your doing wrong?
    Peterko did reach like 459 or some thing with a similar stratergy as the one i suggested in the d/p battle tower :/

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • hey guys here is (anouther) unfair battle factory log

i haVE scizor,aerodactyl and slowking he has heatran,regice and raikou (total hax)

eli (me) sends in scizor
    thorton sends in heatran

scizor endure now
    heatran used flamethrower i endured the hit, scizors salac berry activated

scizor used reversal, it missed
    heatran kills with dragon pulse

go aero
    aero killed heatran with EQ,

he sends in regice, i swicth to slow king

i take the expected ice beam
    i then switch to aero,he then thunderbolts i loose about 3/4 of my hp

i then kill him with a crtical rockslide (im thinkin YEH)

he sends in raikou, i switch to slow king and take an iron head,
    he then used crunch and killed me

i send scarfed aero back in and go to kill with EQ,
    then WTF the raikou attacks before my scarfed aero and kills it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xLy9YTXyGc i found this video on youtube and that same raikou that can out speed scarfed pokes is on it
    May I remind you that in earlier rounds you're given very poor IV Pocket Monsters for the factory. (this in turn affects the speed as well) Can't crunch out the calculations (pun?), but that's probably the reason why. Also, choice scarf Aerodactyl? Based on a platinum frontier finder, only Aero with a choice item is band. Are you positive you read the item correctly?

443 Aerodactyl Jolly King's Rock Rock Slide Aerial Ace Torment Taunt
    579 Aerodactyl Jolly Razor Fang Bite Fire Fang Thunder Fang Ice Fang Atk/Spe
    715 Aerodactyl Adamant Yache Berry Giga Impact Earthquake Rock Slide Crunch Atk/Spe
    851 Aerodactyl Adamant Choice Band Stone Edge Aerial Ace Earthquake Dragon Claw Atk/Spe

GengarMaster said:
    @Beachy: Thank you for your reply and analysis. The movesets that I outlined are from Smogon, with a few modifications. The Infernape that I listed was used by my brother in the Battle Tower in his Diamond version, and he has told me that it work wonders. Are there any Pokemon or movesets that you would like to recommend? I'm open to all suggestions.
    Smogon sets are designed for competitive play and whatever the current metagame thrives with, rarely are any of the sets in their analysis worthy Battle Frontier sets. Hmm, I dunno about pokemon or movesets with a strategy to build off; might be a good idea to gander and read up on the top tier frontier teams on Smogon. (linked in the credits, I believe?) Unfortunately, we don't have the best gallery of options. Anyway, you'll learn some things just by reading the teams that win. :D

Also, "worked wonders" is a vague term for battle frontier enthusiasts. Some consider a wonder to make it to 21 (which, honestly, is laughable) while "wonder" (as I define it) belongs near the 150 - 200+ scale. (in terms of the tower, at least -- other facilities vary)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back