• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Pokémon Contest Craze!

Do you believe that Hoenn's Pokémon Contests should be expanded?

• Yes

Votes: 46 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • *too busy showing off your favorite Pokémon's good side to the Judge*

Votes: 20 26.3%

• Total voters

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • OMEGARUBY/ALPHASAPPHIRE HYPE!

Pokémon Contests are/were a much loved feature of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, kickstarting the profession of Pokémon Coordinator, requiring significantly different tactics compared to standard Pokémon battling, and permitting players to show other people that, yes indeed, their Rattata is in the top percentage of Rattata in looks/talent, too!

How do you think Pokémon Contests will be updated? There's an outstanding number of moves now, and many moves in Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire had similar Contest effects.

Do you think more Contest effects will be added?
    Should Pokémon Super Contests and Poffins of the Sinnoh region make a return as well, possibly as an additional mode?
    Should there be multiple Contest Halls across Hoenn (like in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire), or just consolidated in one building within Lilycove City (like in Pokemon Emerald)?
    Should "Contest Battles" (like in the Pokemon anime) be introduced as a round?
    Should there be a mini-game to dress up/prepare your Pokemon for Pokémon Contests? Discuss!

----

As for me, I highly await the return of Pokémon Contests, and I hope that more stats are tracked, like how many of one's Pokémon have won a Master Rank Pokémon Contest. I really hope Poké Ball Seals (mainly featured in Generation 4) can be implemented in Hoenn's Contests, as they have very dazzling visual effects (at least in the Pokémon anime, although the games themselves aren't bad in that regard, either).

I'm wondering how the Contest Paintings are going to look like, particularly with the advanced visual effects of the Nintendo 3DS and the 3D Pokemon models that are likely to be utilized, as opposed to sprites..

Most importantly, I am hoping that there is a way to decrease your Pokémon's Condition (possibly via a strange Berry that's un-usable in Pokéblock making?). In Emerald, I have a Rayquaza that is only specialized in 2 Contest attributes (I fed it Pokeblocks and maxed out its Contest Conditions before I was inclined to enter it in more than 2 Contest Categories), and winning all 5 Contest Categories has been nigh impossible, even with the Contest-Condition-boosting Scarves... Seeing as how even Effort Values for battle can be decreased with ease nowadays, I don't see why Contest Conditions can't be altered as well.

Last edited:

Mesmerella

Preschooler
    Years
  • I definitely want Contests to come back! I don't mind if they add dress up and dancing, but please, make the appeals the same as they were in R/S/E. The original appeals were actually really brutal and competitive, and Sinnoh's contests just lacked that edge.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • The contest were so fun, but yeah there are several ways they could expand on it! I just hope they try to maintain how it originally was though and not over do it.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • I'm not particularly attached to contests. If they have them ion the game, I will probably try them out, but I won't be utterly disappointed if they are left out.

That said, if they do get included I would like to see a lot of different contest effects. Most moves had one of a few effects, and they just didn't seem that varied to me. If they really increase the depth of the contests, I could be convinced to try them out more.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • CONTEST BATTLES YES PLEASE

I'd love that. I'd also love them to bring back the mechanics of Hoenn's appeals- as Mesmerella said, they were much more intense than Sinnoh's. I'd like PokéBlocks to be the condition food because that's traditional Hoenn. (side note: i'd like to see them in Amie as well if that's back). I'd like to see Amie having a role in conditioning/grooming Pokémon for contests. Hoenn's contests were always less flashy and more about showing the Pokémon and how you raised it rather than your choices as a trainer (accessories/dancing and that). I mean they were just more subtly strategic imo. So my ideal contest would be three rounds- audience impression (conditioning evaluation), traditional appeals, and then an actual contest battle.
    Alternatively, the competition of the old appeals could be integrated into the battle mechanics and the actual appeals round could be tricks or something- like how May had Skitty juggle, or maybe having you control your 'mon's attacks to make pattens and pretty stuff and have that sort of skill minigame in there. idk i'd really like Contests to be significantly improved upon and present an interesting creative challenge. Also there should be more rewards, maybe? Say you earn a ribbon at each contest hall- why not have a tournament-style Grand Festival at Slateport? would be epic, man. And/or you earn points at each contest and can exchange them for prizes a la PokéAthlon. Admittedly that may clash a bit with Battle Frontier if it's there but they could consolidate the entire points system to work across the two, so people that haaate contests have a different way to get the items and vice versa.

sorry im rambling ahaha

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Since they went through all the trouble to remove all traces of the Contest from Gen 5 and 6, I can't see them just randomly throwing them back in and having to retype the moves do that all of gen 5 and Gen 6 moves are contest typed.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I LOVED CONTESTS! They were sooo fun. I enjoyed feeding Pokeblocks to my Pokemon and trying to max them out. I feel like I was one of the only ones that blew time doing that, but I thought it was one of the coolest darned things, so I did it for literally hours on end. After my Swampert got a painting in the Lilycove Art Museum I did it even more furiously, though I could never get it to happen again...

I don't want anything to change, they were perfect the way they were.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • RSE-styled Contests were the pinnacle of contests. I hope they don't dumb it down again like they did in Gen 4. I don't want to play dress up. I don't want to dance. I don't want 3 judges. And I want to be able to jam, startle, and otherwise mess with my opponents. I want the berry blender to return the way it was, albeit in 3D and with better multiplayer features.

I want online contests that randomly match you up with other people looking for contests. I want the ability to decrease contest stats. And I want the contests out in the world again instead of cooped up in Lilycove.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • Contests? in MY Hoenn?

Well. Yeah, of course. I'll be VERY disappointed if they don't return, since Hoenn was the one that introduced the concept in the first place. That, and I have fond memories of the contests in Hoenn and Sinnoh even moreso. and I dare say, I like the idea of having to journey around for the contests, it makes it feel like a whole different adventure. x3

and YES! Wi-Fi Contests, that would be AH-MA-ZING.

CronicHigh

All hail lord Goomy
    Years
  • I really want up to 4 player wifi contests.
    Ranked can be with 3 randoms, thru matchmaking and friends could invite others/join contests.
    I'm hoping they do something like this because a 1 on 1 contest would be really lame.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I really liked how Contests would make you try all combinations possible to get the Master Rank, but still wasn't annoyingly difficult. Maybe they could expand on that, and try out some stuff from the Anime. It could work.

Besides, I really loved using my Wailord to win the beauty contests (I got him framed for the Master Rank) and using Walrein to win the cute ones. They both were simply amazing. I don't know about you, but the judges found me Wailord simply majestic and Walrein totally adorable.

WiFi Contests would rock the world, though. Maybe some people would actually get dedicated to it. I can totally see smogon giving Contest advice lol

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Ooh, yes. Contests! They're the reason I spent so much time at RSE. =D

I want the ability to groom my Pokemon. :O
    I want the ability to dress up my Pokemon. :D
    I want Contest Battles! >D
    And I want a Wi-Fi Multiplayer as well. You don't know how much effort I had to put to make someone around here to do a contest with me. 8D

Also, the ability to decrease contest stats. It makes winning all contests with a single Pokemon impossible. .3.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I would LOVE it if they somehow incorporated Pokemon Amie with contests.

The idea of grooming/dressing up my Pokemon is awesome.
    And contest battles! omg yes plz plz plz. *_*

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    I would also like pokemon contest back with the traditional appeals from the 3rd gen improved with some of the new features we have and probably making it a Little more interactive like in the anime for the first round instead of just seeing how many hearts appear, also a special section in pokemon amie to prepare our pokemon for contests. I'm also wondering if we are going to make pokeblocks or earn them through mini-games.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I really want contests back and stuff and then maybe actually have a trainer rubric, like dressing for the contest like in the Anime, and really expand on the contests more.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    If the original RSE styled contests make a full comeback as well, I would explode. Just Literally like explode.

The actual thought of playing the Berry Blender machines with the old man, feeding the cute little candies to my precious Pokemon, dressing them up with pink and blue scarfs, sending them out on the stage and making precious combos like the Tail Whip and Growl combo, or the Surf and Dive, just really excites me to no end.

Back