• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The PokeCommunity Game-Along II: Electric Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    September - CQC

Take the fight to them! Whoever your enemy is, they will fear your blade... or hammer... or axe... fists... you get the idea. This month's theme is Close Quarters Combat. Choose any game you want, any genre or playstyle, the only prerequisite is that your primary means of combat in that game is up close and personal melee.

Have fun!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Man, I really should have just picked N:TWEWY after all, lol. But I did finish Great Ace Attorney before I went to bed last night which was before the new month was posted even if it was quite late lmao.

I'll have to think on this month's game, though. That's not my usual playstyle in most games, so I'll probably have to find a game that forces me to play close range haha.

Edit: gonna replay Bastion for the first time in nearly a decade. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Ok, did a quick search to make sure it fits, but I'm going to use this an excuse to finally start death stranding.
    there's a lot of stuff for avoiding combat apparently but actual combat seems to involve melee.
    So I think its good, if anyone's already played it give me a heads up on if its acceptable.

progress will probably be slow.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Man, I really should have just picked N:TWEWY after all, lol. But I did finish Great Ace Attorney before I went to bed last night which was before the new month was posted even if it was quite late lmao.

I'll have to think on this month's game, though. That's not my usual playstyle in most games, so I'll probably have to find a game that forces me to play close range haha.

Edit: gonna replay Bastion for the first time in nearly a decade. :)

if you haven't already I recommend giving nier automata a try.

while there are several exceptions like 90% of the combat is melee based.

Cherrim

Years
    I was not happy with how late I left my game for last month so I'm, uh, already done Bastion! To keep with the spirit of this month's prompt, I only used melee weapons. If the game forced a ranged weapon on me, I used it from melee range until I could switch one of my close-ranged weapons back in. There were a few times that I had to break the rules but only because I couldn't see any other options for getting through a section and it only happened like three times, if that, so I'm content that I stuck to the challenge.

Might give it a NG+ now so I can actually play with the ranged weapons too lol.
    if you haven't already I recommend giving nier automata a try.

while there are several exceptions like 90% of the combat is melee based.
    I have played it! I thought about playing it again for this, but I played it too recently to give it another go ahaha.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I have played it! I thought about playing it again for this, but I played it too recently to give it another go ahaha.

sweet, I neve finished cause I got spoiled, but I saw it come up on some youtube let's plays and it got me interested again.
    I was also a bit salty I accidentally lost out on a optional boss, that I'd need to restart to get back to.

But I might give it another go soon.

oh and I just got nier replicant recently and I'm enjoying it so far, though I haven't put much time into it.

it's been cool to see how some of the things tie in between the two.

Last edited:
    Years
    I currently have no short game with melee combat on my list, so I think I'll try Blue Fire and hope it only have close combat.If not, I'll do what Cherrim did in her playthrough of Bastion.

Years
    Finished Blue Fire. While it had an option to use ranged attack, it wasn't required, so I finished it using only double-wielded swords. It was a great game, but it needed some more time in the oven. Not because it's unfinished, but because it's not balanced at all. Most of the fights were unfair, so I just skipped them and most of the platforming could also be easily skipped with some obvious jumps. You can read my whole thoughts about it in my journal.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Squeezed in a game of Civilization 6 before month's end. Limited it to a Domination Victory. Refrained from all ranged attacks, including city defense. Steamrolled with Gorgo's hoplites. Kicked off four of five wars by capturing a settler.

May have set the difficulty too low (base game Prince). Suspects massive barbarian issues for the AI. Spotted a city-state with two settlers. Must have been captured by barbarians, then taken by the city-state.

Years
    October - Dark

Dark isn't a genre, it's an aesthetic. Embrace everything grim, spooky and/or violent. Stalk the nights in Arkham Asylum, become a victim in Dark Souls or Bloodborne or hunt ghosts in Luigi's Mansion. Embrace your inner darkness in the lead-up to Halloween.

Cherrim

Years
    If Impostor Factory does indeed count, then that'll definitely be my game for the month. Otherwise I'll pick up one of the RPG Maker horror games I haven't gotten around to before.

Cherrim

Years
    I didn't leave my game for the last 3 hours of the month so I deserve to double post...!

Anyway, I beat Impostor Factory! It wasn't necessarily scary/violent all the way through but uh, I suppose you could say it was definitely grim most of the way once it left the violent stuff behind. I think it counts enough for the theme. I posted my more detailed thoughts in my game journal.

Years
    I didn't leave my game for the last 3 hours of the month so I deserve to double post...!

Anyway, I beat Impostor Factory! It wasn't necessarily scary/violent all the way through but uh, I suppose you could say it was definitely grim most of the way once it left the violent stuff behind. I think it counts enough for the theme. I posted my more detailed thoughts in my game journal.

I look forward to comparing notes when I do my playthrough soon.

Years
    I once again forgot to mention it here, but I finished Silent Hill. I can't believe I was avoiding this game for so long. It was fun, scary, had phenomenal soundtrack and aged well. You can read my thoughts in my journal.

Years
    November - Female Protagonists

November is ladies' month! We're celebrating all the Samus', Ellies and Jill Valentines - and trying to forget the badly designed armour or female characters written by men who have apparently never actually met a woman. Any genre is an option, any play style. The only requirement this month is that you play a game with a female player character as the lead.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back