• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The PokeCommunity Game-Along V: The Gaming Strikes Back

Years

• The PokeCommunity Game-Along V: The Gaming Strikes Back

Welcome back to the PokeCommunity Game-Along! This is the fifth round of our special year-long event with humorous thread titles of rapidly declining quality.

On the first day of each month, I'll be posting some kind of theme in this thread. These themes will range from the very specific, like games that include fishing minigames, to the more freeform or broad, such as playing a scary game. They could be pretty much anything really. As a participant in this challenge, your job is to play and beat a game (meaning you must finish the main story mode/see the end credits) that fits whatever the given theme is by the end of the month.

For example, if the theme for the month was platformers, you could play anything from Super Mario Brothers to Limbo. If the theme were to be Final Fantasy games, you could play anything from that franchise, spin-offs included. You can play any length of game. You can replay a game you've already finished or try something you've never played. You can even use a game you are already playing. Whatever works for you. The only requirements are that it must fit the theme of the month and you must finish it by the end of the month.

To enter, all you have to do is respond in this thread with the game you have chosen and let us know here when you finish it. Of course, we all love to see each others updates too. For that, you could post short little snippets here but the best way to do it is to keep track of things in one of our gaming journal threads.

There is no obligation to participate in any of the months. Although I encourage you to try to do them all just for the bragging rights. you can join at any time during the year for whatever theme we are up to at the time. Gaming is meant to be fun after all and that's really the goal there. For hard quotas, you'll want the 2024 Gaming Challenge.

If you want to keep track of how things have been going, this post will be periodically updated with the current theme and participants. Until I inevitably lose track of doing that and need to catch back up. Or maybe I'll actually stay on top of it all year for once. Only time will tell.

If you have any questions or suggestions for monthly themes you'd like to see, feel free to post in here or DM me.

PARTICIPANTS STATS

Gimmepie
    Spoiler:

Janp
    Spoiler:

Izanagee2005
    Spoiler:

Setsuna
    Spoiler:

Cherrim
    Spoiler:

Charcadet121
    Spoiler:

Alex_Among_Foxes
    Spoiler:

Devalue
    Spoiler:

Bobandbill
    Spoiler:

Explorer of Time
    Spoiler:

THEMES

January - Free Choice
    February - KISS

[/center]

Last edited:
    Years

• January - Free Choice

As is our tradition, we're kicking off the New Year with an old theme. After all, you probably have a bunch of fancy new games you're eager to five into. Why should I limit you?

It's Free Choice for January. Play whatever the hell you like as we gradually dip our toes deeper into the chaos that the monthly challenges may yet produce.

Years
  • Great! Count me in again. I'll go with Baldur's Gate 3. I played it for a few hours in December, but barely scratched the surface, so I think it could count. If not, then I'll go with Gothic. I and few other members of our little Gothic community decided to do a OLOG run (finishing the whole trilogy without dying) of the whole series.

Years
  • Great! Count me in again. I'll go with Baldur's Gate 3. I played it for a few hours in December, but barely scratched the surface, so I think it could count. If not, then I'll go with Gothic. I and few other members of our little Gothic community decided to do a OLOG run (finishing the whole trilogy without dying) of the whole series.
    It counts.

Izanagee2005

Me. I. Yours truly.
    Years
    • Age 18
    • He/Him
    • India
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi I would like to join this year! I am gonna try and complete Seraphic Blue this month.

Edit: Actually I was wondering could one of the other two games I have completed count for this challenge? Since I already completed them before posting this, does that mean I'm done with this month or do I have to beat a game after posting that I am in?

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I've never done one of these but I saw last year's and thought this looked really cool, I wanna try!

If this month is free choice, I wanna go for the game I already planned to play first this year: Gal Guardians: Demon Purge! It looked like something I'd love so it's been on my wishlist for a couple months until last week!

As a participant in this challenge, your job is to play and beat a game (meaning you must finish the main story mode/see the end credits) that fits whatever the given theme is by the end of the month.​

I'm curious about this, how would this work for a game like Mario Party or Animal Crossing, those kinds of games without proper endings? Would they be allowed, and if so would it be up to us to decide what counts as beating it, or would that be assigned when we pick our game and have to follow whatever that may be?

Years
  • I've never done one of these but I saw last year's and thought this looked really cool, I wanna try!

If this month is free choice, I wanna go for the game I already planned to play first this year: Gal Guardians: Demon Purge! It looked like something I'd love so it's been on my wishlist for a couple months until last week!

I'm curious about this, how would this work for a game like Mario Party or Animal Crossing, those kinds of games without proper endings? Would they be allowed, and if so would it be up to us to decide what counts as beating it, or would that be assigned when we pick our game and have to follow whatever that may be?
    They generally wouldn't be counted as they don't have an end point.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • If this month is free choice, I wanna go for the game I already planned to play first this year: Gal Guardians: Demon Purge! It looked like something I'd love so it's been on my wishlist for a couple months until last week!

Maybe I should have picked something longer? I just finished it after what was about 7 hours. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I liked it a lot for what it was and I'm glad I played it!
    Spoiler:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • fwiw, Animal Crossing definitely had a credits roll when you… pay off your final debt or something? There was a concert and stuff and I'd consider that the beaten point of New Horizons at least. (Haven't played the others to know if they have an analogous "ending"/credits.)

I think I'll set my game as Danganronpa 2 this time so that I actually finish it before it's due back at the library. I'm only a chapter in and need motivation to finish.

Edit: Actually NO I'm gonna play Thimbleweed Park. Gonna try very hard to only choose new games I've never beaten before for my challenge choices this year. (Unless it's specifically a replay theme ofc.)

Last edited:

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I honestly don't know what I'm going to pick for this month... I'm already pretty busy as it is... After thinking about it, I'm so busy with games I'd already started that unless a modded run of FTL counts, I'm gonna have to sit this month out...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I actually finished Thimbleweed Park tonight. I'm glad I focused it down for this instead of just playing it once a week for half an hour like I'd been doing prior. Puzzles are a lot easier when you remember what you have in everyone's inventory and remember what's going on!

Years
  • I honestly don't know what I'm going to pick for this month... I'm already pretty busy as it is... After thinking about it, I'm so busy with games I'd already started that unless a modded run of FTL counts, I'm gonna have to sit this month out...
    If it has an end point, go for it.

Years
  • Hi I would like to join this year! I am gonna try and complete Seraphic Blue this month.

Edit: Actually I was wondering could one of the other two games I have completed count for this challenge? Since I already completed them before posting this, does that mean I'm done with this month or do I have to beat a game after posting that I am in?
    I didn't see your edit sorry, but you need to pick a game you have not yet finished for the month.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Selects another round of Fire Emblem Engage, this time with DLC. Introduced some restrictions too (non-standard promotions and unique inherited skills).

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I finished FTL (modded)! I decided to theme my ship and crew after some of my PC friends! (I was on the ship too, but was killed by a mind controlled ally in the final fight lol :p)
    I even took a couple of screenshots of the victory screen! (but I edited out the names of the people on my crew)

Spoiler:

Back