• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokedex Rotation Challenge!

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    ~The Pokedex Rotation Challenge~

About the Challenge

As a Pokemon fan, I have always wanted to complete the Pokedex. Unfortunately, that goal has never been acomplished. The main reason for it was the lack of motivation. Mindless switch-grinding and the like was never my thing. I didn't feel the urge or rather, I didn't feel the challenge. In this challenge, you will go through your Pokemon Journey catching every new species of Pokemon, but unlike the a regular Pokedex Challenge, you will be rotating your team every once in a while. This allows a more balanced and more strategic playthrough and could be challenging if you do not get a grip of this playstyle.

Rules~

1. You must catch every new Pokemon you find in an area.

This is the Pokedex part of the challenge. I mean, how will you get your entries without catching your Pokemon?

2. When a Pokemon faints, it is placed in the box behind of all of your other Pokemon.

This is where the rotational part comes in. As you can see, this resembles a Nuzlocke, but with slightly less harsher consequences to your mistakes. For those who are confused about the "behind all of your other Pokemon", that basically means that it is put in the first "unused" Box space in the PC. "Deposit Pokemon" does the same thing.

3. After a Pokemon faints and is put in the box, you must add the first Pokemon in the box to your team.

This is where the fun starts. With this rule, you will always have 6 team members once you start using your box. With rule 2 and 3 you will be able to train the majority of your Pokemon.

4. After doing Rule 2 and 3, move your Pokemon over 1 space forward to have no empty spaces.

This is a rule because if one would not do follow this rule, a newly placed capture would become first in line rather than entering the back of the line.

After every Gym, box your entire team and do Rule 3 but instead with 6 Pokemon.

More rotation yay!

6. After every Gym, grind your Pokemon equal to the Gym Leader's weakest Pokemon's level. (Optional)

So wait what happens to the Pokemon who aren't fortunate to join the team and are left in the dust? This is what happens. You will continue to grind them up and so when the time comes to join the team, they won't be completely useless. For those who are confused about the which level to grind at, if you were to defeat Lenora, you would grind to Level 18, the level of Lenora's weakest Pokemon Herdier.

7. If you cannot progress because of an HM, you can swap one of your Pokemon with a Pokemon that can learn such HM. After the doing the HM required quest, the HM using Pokemon is boxed and put at the end of the line and the Pokemon who was swapped is put back into the team.

Mainly for people who cannot progress because of such and such quests.

8. Your starter is immune to Rule 2 and Rule 5 (being boxed). You can choose one Pokemon from your team to gain immunity, but your starter is now affected by Rule 2 and 5. (Optional)

I don't know, I just always felt that the starter should be immune to being boxed. If you don't feel this way, that's why this rule is optional.

9. If one were to play an emulator or do not have access to trade, Trade-evolutions such as Machamp and Accelgor are not required to complete the Pokedex. This also applies to Version Exclusive Pokemon.

10. The challenge ends after you you complete your region's Pokedex.

But please, feel free to contnue if you want to complete your National Dex!

For those who are wanting to do this challenge, but have already completed the game, replace Rule 5 with "After every week, box your entire team and do Rule 3 but instead with 6 Pokemon.

Kanto Region Challengers
    Spoiler:

Johto Region Challengers
    Spoiler:

Hoenn Region Challengers
    Spoiler:

Sinnoh Region Challengers
    Spoiler:

Unova Region Challengers
    Spoiler:

Spinoff Challengers
    Spoiler:

Champions
    Spoiler:

Most importantly: Have Fun!

Last edited:

Palladium

2012 FTW!
    Years
  • This actually sounds fun
    Sign me in on Vintage Red
    And one more thing, it's impossible to complete your RegDex without trading, so those in emulators or those that doesn't people to trade with (in games before GenIV) should have trade evos, opp. version exclusives and other starters as not needed or optional if they can trade

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Yeah you're right.

If one were to play an emulator or do not have access to trade, Trade-evolutions such as Machamp and Accelgor are not required to complete the Pokedex.

Will update my part of the challenge soon!

Yeah you're right.

If one were to play an emulator or do not have access to trade, Trade-evolutions such as Machamp and Accelgor are not required to complete the Pokedex.

Will update my part of the challenge soon!

Last edited:

Palladium

2012 FTW!
    Years
  • THank you, you forgot to me up on the list
    And there's still version exclusives to take care off
    As soon as Dad give me my laptop back I'll start on it

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Dear diary, I have set foot on this wonderful Unova region. The Pokemon Professor of this region, Juniper, has gave me a wonderful starter. He is commonly known as Snivy or in some countries, Tsutarja, but to me he is my little Exterio. I met two wonderful people here aswell, Cheren and Bianca, who were about my age and also had Pokemon. We chit-chatted a bit and then proceeded to battle. Both of the battles I participated, I won. Cheren won his battle against Bianca aswell.

Proceeding along I found two Pokemon to join my journey, Ceaser the Patrat and a small Lilipup who refuses to tell me his name. We traveled along until we found an adolescent named N. He talked about truth and ideals and then we battled. Cheren watched too. Afterwards, he looked at me and said that we would liberate his and everyones Pokemon. His Pokemon, Purrloin, wasn't too fond of it and wanted to have a trainer. N then asked him if that's what he really wanted and the cat nodded. He then gave me his Purrloin and I asked what was the cat's name. N, claiming he could speak the Pokemon toungue, said her name was Hayley.

We walked about and fought Bianca, who's Oshawott was stronger than the last time, taking down my unnamed Lillipup in the process. Speaking of Lillipup, she had one aswell. Cheren then showed us the Gym, in which the three of us entered arguing on who would battle the Gym Leader first. To our luck, there were three Gym Leaders, each specializing in a different type.

Of course, we would have to fight the one our starter was weak too. Though my friends and I had luck, as we recently met Fennel who gave us the C-Gear and a Pan-monkey respectivaly. She gave me Panpour, the monkey who specialized in water and used the moist tempeture to see, as it wasn't fond of using it's eyes.

After some elemental brigades we beat the gym and obtained the first badge of our journey, the Trio Badge.

Team up to this point: Exterio the Snivy, Ceaser the Patrat, A Lillipup who's name escapes me at the momment and Hayley the Panpour

--------

So how was my update? Did you like my story telling ways or should I keep it to a log?

Also I added many "different" things in this story, like how N gave me his Purrloin (this idea was mainly a twisted version from Pitch-Black's Nuzlocke) and how Fennel gave the rival trio a Panmonkey.

Anyways, in game I am at Castelia, but I didn't want to drag the story that long, as it would cause me to skip crucial parts.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I'll do this on LeafGreen with optional rule number 6!

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Thanks to the assistance of the Nuzlocke Forum, I editted rule 8. For me, I will update later today :D

8. Your starter is immune to Rule 2 and Rule 5 (being boxed). You can choose one Pokemon from your team to gain immunity, but your starter is now affected by Rule 2 and 5. (Optional)

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Ok, I've defeated Brock and right now I am in Mt. Moon grinding all of my Pokemon! Here is the team (in PokeDex order):