• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokemon Academy

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2005
    Yes, another Pokemon Academy fic. But this one will actually get finished. C/C are appreciated greatly, although I'll probably ignore most gripes about description. Keep in mind that I will edit the first chapter based on reviews, so don't think people just made up mistakes or something. Anyways, here it is:

The Pokemon Academy
    Chapter 1

My hands trembled as I fumbled with the envelope. I slipped my finger into the side, thrusting to the left and ripping it open. Inside were two plain pieces of computer paper stapled together. Holding my breath, I pulled out the double sheet and unfolded it, nearly dropping it in the process. My eyes flicked across the page, absorbing the words greedily.

Dear Mr. Hunter Olsen,

The Pokemon Academy has received your submission for acceptance. We are happy to inform you that you received a perfect 1000 on your GSTA (Global Standardized Testing and Assessment), a perfect 100 on the SABPK (Standardized Assessment of Basic Pokemon Knowledge), and, most importantly, an Advanced in Skills, Knowledge, and Intuition and an Above Average in all other areas on the RTPBS (Real-Time Pokemon Battling Simulation). In addition, your letter of recommendation from Academy alumni Professor Joseph Doe was highly positive.

Because of your obviously advanced skills, you have been accepted into the Pokemon Academy. Attached is a recommended packing list, and you should meet at the designated address and time. In addition, we request a humble fee of $200 to cover costs not paid for by our generous alumni donations.

Congratulations and see you soon,

Professor Orville Donague

I always pictured myself leaping up ecstatically at this moment. After all, I was going to be attending the most prestigious Pokemon boarding school in the world for sixth, seventh, and eight grade, and for the incredibly low price of $200. But nothing happened.

At least, not right away. Without warning, a strange bubbling began in my stomach, rising up through my throat, passed my heart, until?

?YEEEEEEEES!? I shouted, my voice echoing to the rafters. I pranced merrily to the next room, doing a jolly prospector?s dance. My eyes were squinted shut with glee, so I didn?t see which of my family members ripped the letter out of my hand, but after a few seconds of reading, I was joined by another gleeful voice. And then another. And another.

Before long, we had the Growlithe howling in the streets.

The huge cafeteria was a pleasing blue, but the calming effect was lost on my fluttering stomach. It was filled with a hundred students my age, all sweaty and eager to receive their Pokemon. I had left my parents behind about an hour ago, and now it was just me, the kids, and the forty or so booths scattered across the edges.

?Hunter!? I heard a shout from the left, ?Hunter!?

I glanced over, and saw a boy heading for me. He was very tan, obviously Hispanic, and had short black hair spiked messily in all directions. He was short, and walked with his head in front of his neck in a way that made him look slightly hunched. He had a heavy silver chain lying over his simple blue shirt.

?Chris!? I shouted back, making my way through the crowd, ?You got in, too??

He nodded. ?I managed to get okay scores on the tests and I got pretty awesome in some of the simulations. Do you know where we?re supposed to go?? His voice was not really that high-pitched, but definitely not as deep as mine.

We navigated our way to the correct line, and stood chatting for a while. Chris was one of my best friends before the Academy, and we got along great, despite our obvious differences. I always had the most A?s in school, while Chris had the most girlfriends. I was tall, he was short. But at the same time, that helped both of us. I helped him understand his homework, he helped me get a girlfriend. I was always tall enough to block and tackle anything that came near me in any sport, while he was short enough to dart around unnoticed. So I guess you could say we complimented each other.

Pretty soon we got to the front of the line, where we met a round woman with a bored face but jolly eyes behind a table. She gave us small cobalt devices. ?Pokedexes,? she explained, ?They also have a function similar to the one used to enlarge a Pokeball which can transform them into laptops. They will be your guide and most important tool here at the Academy. Please proceed to fill out the test at the beginning to see which starter you will receive. It will show you where to go.?

I shrugged, shouldering my way out of the line. Once in a quiet area, I flipped open the device to reveal a glossy screen. After finding the on button and pressing it, a message flashed across the screen, along with an arrow pointing to a button on the side.

?Please enlarge.?

I pressed the button, and the thing blew up to the size of a laptop, with a full-fledged keyboard. Another message scrolled across the screen, this time with a space to answer.

?Summarize your personality in one sentence, your battling style in another, your appearance in another, and your best quality in another.?

I wasn?t really sure if I wanted a Pokemon that looked like me, but I obeyed. ?Kind of dorky, quite random, yet serious when it is time. Agile and speedy, with lots of blocks and tackles, and very little direct hitting. Tall, easily tanned, short brown hair, very thin. Intelligence.?

I hit the Enter key, and a new message flashed across the screen.

?Do you have any type preferences? If not, would you prefer a physical or special type??

I typed a hasty reply, ?No, either.? Short, but it would do. I tapped the key again, and there it was.

?Would you rather have a one, two, or three stage Pokemon??

I silently hoped this wouldn?t be too long. The butterflies in my stomach had just learned how to play lacrosse. I tapped the three key, then Enter. Up popped what I hoped was the last question.

?Would you rather have a challenging Pokemon, an average Pokemon, or a strong Pokemon??

Trying to resist the urge to ruin my new machine with a very unpleasant concoction the butterflies were brewing, I copy and pasted the third choice and hit enter again. Hey, I didn?t want to be shallow any more than the next guy, but I was fairly new, and winning matters. To my relief, a thank you message popped up, followed by a map leading me to a corner of the room.

Chris had finished his when I looked over, but his map showed a separate booth. I pointed this out, and we parted ways after casual goodbyes. And so I began the long march to my first Pokemon.

As I drew nearer to the small, inconspicuous card table in the corner, the butterflies started squeezing and pulling my stomach. Worse yet, they were reproducing. As I felt like I was going to explode from the sheer volume of squirming insects, I finally made it to the table.

The wiry woman sitting at the table handed me a Pokeball wordlessly. Obviously, these people liked to keep you in suspense, but I didn?t care. It was more fun this way. Breathing quickly, I pressed the expand button on the Pokeball. The cold plastic slid smoothly through my hand as it grew bigger, and it grew just heavy enough to be easy to throw. I smashed it to the ground, and it bounced back to me. But I only caught it subconsciously as I watched the red light protruding from it taking shape.

The light separated into two lumps, one with two short legs and arms, the other with a long snout. The scarlet light slowly faded to a blue matching my Pokedex on the top, and a creamy beige on the bottom. As the creature became solid, spiked flames protruded from its back. ?Cyndaquil!? it squeaked excitedly.

I had never even thought about getting a Cyndaquil before. Heck, if you had asked me if I wanted one, I might have even said no! But at this moment, it felt so perfect, I couldn?t help but laugh airily. Resisting the urge to provide an encore of my earlier gleeful singing and dancing, if you could call it that, I picked up the little ball of fur.

?Hi, little guy,? I said playfully, ?I?m gonna be your trainer now, okay??

He seemed to be ignoring me, and a mischievous smile darted across his face as his did a sort of wriggling motion to escape my hands and drop to the floor. There he began happily running in circles around my feet.

?Does he have a name?? I asked the wispy woman.

She shook her head. ?No,? she replied, ?But you can name him. Oh, and you can look up data on him in your new Pokedex, if you want.?

I thanked her, scooped up the now-incredibly-dizzy Cyndaquil, and forced my way back into the crowd to find Chris. He seemed to still be at his booth, so I decided to look up Cyndaquil in my Pokedex, like the thin lady suggested. I was surprised by the huge wealth of information it gave me after I scanned him, but I just scrolled down to the general section.

?Cyndaquil were originally offered as starters during the second period, just before the introduction of the third period starters and the resurrection of the first period. Although they are now considered normal wild Pokemon, they are still popular among trainers. Cyndaquil are Fire-type, but they learn many different moves.

One of the many surprising qualities of Cyndaquil and its evolutions its ability to roll into a tight ball, and still have full control over their flame glands and sight. No one knows how they manage to change direction or even see when in this position, but they are experts at it. Because of this, they are also very speedy Pokemon.

Moves include??

I closed the Pokedex program as it began heading into the realm of the boring. In my arms, Cyndaquil started squirming to get free, and I was afraid he might scorch me if we didn?t get out of here soon. But I still had no idea where Chris was, and I didn?t know how to find the booth he was going to in my Pokedex. Unless?

I opened up the mapping program, and said into the speakers, ?Christopher Vargus.? Instantly, a map showed up, with a large red dot next to an unfamiliar booth. I worked my way through the crowd, Cyndaquil still in my arms, until I saw Chris in the distance. He seemed to still be without a Pokemon, although he was accompanied by a kid just over half his height. As I got closer, I saw that the ?kid? was also pale bluish-green, with three strange yellowish raised stripes on its head, and naked. I laughed as I realized that he was really a Machop, apparently Chris?s starter.

He spotted me, and motioned for me to get into line with him. I did so, and we began talking excitedly, our Pokemon cautiously approaching each other. It turned out that he had answered questions heavily favoring an extremely physical Pokemon with three stages, and that he was happy with his starter. I wasn?t surprised at all at his choice, and he didn?t seem surprised about mine, either. ?I always knew you?d get something that could roll into a ball,? he insisted, ?It was either this, Sandshrew, or Phanpy.?

He also told me that the line we were in was for our schedules, which could technically be sent wirelessly to our Pokedexes, but they felt it was more ?personal? this way. If by ?personal,? they meant ?shoved up against a whole bunch of smelly, sweaty kids,? then, yeah, it was the most personal thing I had ever experienced.

Finally, we reached the front of the line, where a flowery-smelling woman with incredibly fake looking brown hair which was pulled up over her head in a tight bun gave us our schedules. She also leaned in and whispered, ?Oh, and Professor Donague would like to meet with you to discuss a few things, when you have time. Your Pokedex will show you the way??

Chris and I exchanged wary glances. If it was just me getting called into the office, it could have been for my test scores, but both of us? I decided not to worry about it. We couldn?t be in trouble so quickly. After all, school hadn?t even started.

?Wait a minute,? said Chris, ?Two periods on here just say elective! I didn?t choose anything, did you??

I shook my head. ?Maybe we?re supposed to enter it into the Pokedex?? I suggested.

He shrugged, and we both popped open our Pokedexes and typed in a quick question about electives. It turned out that we had eight electives to choose from, but only two of them were recommended for sixth graders. We both figured that it would be best to take the recommended ones, so we entered in our choices, and our new schedules popped onto the screen. To our surprise, they were exactly the same.

Period 1: Training ? Students learn advanced techniques to train their Pokemon in specific areas. Sixth graders have a very general curriculum, with no focus on any certain areas. Taught by: Professor Hollenberry

Period 2: Team Maintenance ? Students learn miscellaneous team maintenance tasks, including proper use of the PC storage system, team relationships in general, and capturing Pokemon. Taught by: Professor Ott-Bales

Periods 3 and 4: Battling Techniques ? Students learn advanced battling techniques, in both theory and practical lessons. Taught by: Professor Forthwith

Period 5: Wilderness Navigation ? Students learn basic wilderness survival and navigation methods to aide them on their journeys. Taught by: Professor Crispe

Period 6: Technology ? Students learn basic to advanced usage of all Pokemon-related technology in regular use. Taught by: Professor Warmull

Period 7: Breeding and Grooming ? First semester, students will receive a Pokemon egg that they will identify and care for. Second semester, students will learn and practice basic grooming techniques to keep their Pokemon in tip-top shape. Taught by: Professor O? Donnel​

All the classes sounded interesting, and I would have stopped to look up more information on them, but first we had our meeting with the principal. Chris didn?t seem quite as nervous as I was, since he had been through this before, but I had never really gotten trouble. Chris quietly showed me the map to the principal?s office, and we set off through a hallway on the left.

The halls were the same creamy color as Cyndaquil?s fur, while the floor was a lush green carpet that reminded me of grass. The air was quiet and thin, and it seemed to be hard to breathe, although I?m sure it was just the nerves. We followed the simple instructions on the Pokedex until we arrived at a large oak door marked ?Professor Orville L. Donague.?

Before I could do anything, Chris knocked nonchalantly on the door. A booming voice from within called out, ?Come in!?

The door slid open with a creak, and we entered a small office decorated exactly the same as the hallway, but with desks and tables lining the walls. Sitting behind the desk in the middle of the room was a middle-aged man with a trimmed mustache. He looked rather stiff, but he had the energy and vigor of a retired Pokemon trainer. ?Ah,? he said, ?Please sit. Ms. L?Art will be joining us shortly.?

I didn?t dare convey my confusion to Chris, but simply sat in one of the comfortable, poofy chairs across from Professor Donague. He said nothing, just smiled at us as we sat there. The tension was about to reach a breaking point when another knock arrived on the door. At Professor Donague?s, signal, the person walked in.

It was a girl about the same height as me, but with the same skin tone as Chris. She had a warm face and soft eyes, and her bright red hair would have looked unusual on anyone, but even more so on a person of her ethnicity. ?Hello,? she said cordially and then turned to us, ?I?m Scarlett.?

I nodded my head and introduced myself, as did Chris. She sat herself in the chair next to Chris, and he shifted uncomfortably. At least we knew we weren?t in trouble, since she wouldn?t have been so polite if she was acting as a witness or something.

?You are probably wondering why you are here,? began Professor Donague, ?And you have probably notice that you have all of your classes together, along with a certain boy named Kid Jackson.?

We had actually not noticed that Scarlett and Kid were in all of our classes, but we nodded anyway. ?You three have been chosen, based on many factors,? he continued, ?To? ?watch over? Kid.?

I saw the visible confusion on Chris?s face, although Scarlett didn?t let on. ?Let me explain,? he said, ?You see, Kid, like so many others, has a problem called autism.?

I knew exactly what he was talking about, as Scarlett obviously did. Chris seemed to know the general gist. ?When we accepted him for his exceptional battling skills,? he elaborated, ?We foresaw certain problems among him and other students. Therefore, we set forth to find a way to keep him company and safe. We decided you three would be best for this job, for many reasons I will not disclose. You may be wondering what exactly this will entail. Well, it won?t be too much of a hassle for you; all you must do is include him in group projects, maybe help him a little when he is confused. There is no need to baby-sit him or anything like that, just? befriend him. Is this agreeable??

Chris shrugged, and Scarlett and I nodded decisively. He seemed ready to dismiss us, so we didn?t ask any questions. ?You may leave,? he said, the tension gone from his voice, ?Your Pokedexes will show you to your dormitories. Oh, and, Hunter? Congratulations on your two perfect scores.?

I thanked him smugly then, walked out the door, Chris and Scarlett trailing behind. We walked in silence together until we were a distance away from the door, then stopped and leaned against the wall. ?That was weird,? joked Chris.

?I kind of expected something like that when I saw I had so many kids in all of my classes,? said Scarlett as if she had known us forever.

?Yeah,? I added, ?I kind of knew something was up. It doesn?t really sound hard at all, it?ll just be sort of? odd, I mean, working with someone who has autism.?

Scarlett shrugged, but Chris remained silent. The short conversation was obviously over, so I pulled out my Pokedex and asked it about my dormitory. A map flashed onto the screen, along with a message that said my roommate would be, as I had hoped and expected after the meeting, Chris. I showed him, and he seemed relieved. ?I thought we would be bunking with that Kid kid,? he explained.

Scarlett had already pulled up the map to her dormitory, and it was on the opposite side of the school, so we left her with a quick goodbye. Once again we returned to monotonous tromp through the halls, constantly looking down at the Pokedex to assure the right direction. Finally, we arrived at an oak door much like the one to the principal?s office, but with ?Dormitory 107? written across it. I hastily followed the Pokedex?s directions as it told me to swipe it across the electronic lock, and the door swung open.

The room was bigger than my one at home, although not by much. It was carpeted by carpet like the one outside, except it was cobalt, like my Pokedex. The walls were the same beige, we suited me fine. It was furnished well, with a dresser for each of us, along with a bed. Attached was a small bathroom with a shower. It wasn?t luxurious, but it was very, very good.

?I call the bed on the left!? shouted Chris, leaping on top of it. For some reason, I decided I wanted it, and started wrestling him off of it. Finally, after a long, hard battle, we decided on a compromise: since they had already brought up our bags, whoever?s stuff was in the dresser closest to it would get it. I won, and shoved him off as soon as I saw.

Since I got the bed, Chris got the first shower, and I swear he took a long time on purpose. In the meantime, I called out Cyndaquil, who had been automatically recalled when I went into the halls before. He looked dizzy still, as if he had been running around in circles inside his Pokeball. I must have guessed right, since he began running circles around the room.

As I watched him, I realized that he needed a name. I sat thinking for a while, watching him spin around in circles. He finally seemed to figure out that he could twist himself into a ball and spin in circles, which just made me all the more dizzy. Suddenly, I had an idea. ?Hey, Cyndaquil,? I shouted, wondering if he could even hear me when he was in a ball like that, ?How do you like the name Dizzy??

He did a weird sort of bounce in the air, and flames spurted from his back, reforming him into his normal shape. He landed on the ground, a look of repulsion on his face. I laughed at the expression, but went on to try and think of a new name. After Spin, Circle, and other such desperate names were all rejected, I finally came up with one I thought was worthy. ?Twist?? I asked skeptically.

A grin spread across his face, and he happily returned to his bouncing and rolling. Twist it was. I tried entering it into my Pokedex, but it didn?t really seem to have any function for doing so, so I guessed it wasn?t that important. Even after all that, Chris was still in the shower, so I started looking up more stuff on my classes. Most of it was just stuff I had already assumed, but a couple of things interested me.

Apparently, at the start of every year each student gets a new Pokemon. Seventh and eighth grader?s Pokemon are decided based upon their teacher?s recommendations, but sixth graders have to take that weird little test. Also, all students are supposed to get a new Pokemon at the beginning of each semester. The egg sixth graders hatch during their first semester in Breeding and Grooming, the Pokemon seventh graders catch in Team Maintenance, and eighth graders? All it said about eighth graders was that it was a surprise. I guessed it was probably some thing where they turn you loose in the wilderness or assess your tests or something.

Before I could find any other features, I heard the shower turn off, and Chris came out a minute later, wrapped in a towel. I asked if he was done, and he nodded, so I went in. By the time I came out, he was sitting on his bed with Machop.

?I named him Strike!? he exclaimed upon my appearance.

?Clever,? I said sarcastically, dodging the pillow flying at my head.

We stayed up later than we should have looking at all of our classes and the things we could do. Chris found some weight-training room where he could work out with Strike until he was an eighth grader and could take the special Fight-type specific class. I found a few speed courses where Twist could work on his weird rolling routine, and we both planned on visiting the arenas open for student use.

As I finally lay in bed, ready to fall asleep, Twist curled up at my heels, I couldn?t help but think that tomorrow would definitely be a very good day.

Years
    DUDE! This is awesome! Most of the stories I've read which have been in first person were a little wierd *coughmecough*, but this was awsome! I'd like to read some more, I didn't realy find any mistakes, but I suck at that sort of thing, so.

Dragon Lover

Oooh, words under my name.
    Years
    The room was bigger than my one at home, although not by much. It was carpeted by carpet like the one outside, except it was cobalt, like my Pokedex. The walls were the same beige, which suited me fine. It was furnished well, with a dresser for each of us, along with a bed. Attached was a small bathroom with a shower. It wasn't luxurious, but it was very, very good.
    Thats the only mistake I could find =D This story is pretty good. I was always a fan of Academy fiction and this is no exception. I hope you finish this one, it is very promising...

~DL

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2005
    Thanks for the reviews, guys. Normally I would have responded to each personally, and the thread would have been bumped back up, and I probably would have gotten a few more reviews, but, to tell you the truth, I forgot I posted it on this forum. ^^;

Chapter 2 has been done for a while now, but I'm just getting around to posting it. It has a ton of cussing, mostly on Chris's part, but it's all censored. Anyway, here it is:

The Pokemon Academy
    Chapter 2

I gritted my teeth, grinding my heel into the dirt path in anticipation. A single bead of anxious sweat rolled down my forehead, urged by the dry wind that blew through the low trees, but I neither blinked nor shook it away. At my right, Twist laid, every muscle in his body as tense as mine. I knew that to my left my opponent, the tall, pale, strange-looking kid who I had been assigned to race, was in the same position, along with his equally strange Mr. Mime.

Just as I was thinking about wiping the sweat from my brow, I heard the whistle blow in the distance. Instantly, Twist curled into his familiar ball shape and began rolling down the path at an incredible speed. As quickly as my human reflexes would allow, I sprang up and propelled myself forward with the balls of my feet, kicking up dust behind me. The crowd beside me was just a blur as I sped past, concentrating solely on the finish line fifty yards ahead of me.

Twist was about ten yards in front of me, and I still had a slight lead on the goofy guy. He was fast, and he almost outran me, but before I even had a chance to think about giving up, Twist crossed the finish line. As elated screaming reached my ears, I risked a glance toward the Pokemon side. The Mr. Mime was bounding clumsily around ten yards from the finish line, obviously far slower than me and his owner.

I regained hope, and with it came energy. Putting in my last ounce of effort, I sprinted towards the finish line, eyes squeezed shut. Even before I had realized I won, I heard the shouting. It seemed a thousand times louder than I knew it was, and yet it didn't seem too loud at all. At that moment I felt the total elation of winning, and I liked it.

"Good job!" shouted Professor Hollenberry in her light, singsong voice, "Derek, keep at it. With a little training, your Mr. Mime might get as good as you. I'm sure you can see the benefits of going through the courses with your Pokemon, after that race. Next!"

I sighed as I came rushing back to reality. It was Training, my first class of the day, and so far it had been great. Professor Hollenberry, who turned out to be the wispy woman from the registration, had chosen a few kids to try out the competition courses, and I had been assigned to the Beginning Speed Course. I felt a little sorry for the Derek kid and his Mr. Mime, but the happiness of winning outweighed it by far.

Sweating like a lobster, I pushed my way through the packed class to where Chris and Scarlett were standing. They seemed deeply absorbed in their conversation, but they noticed me as soon as I came close. "Great race!" said Scarlett, "For a second I thought he was gonna get ahead of you!"

"Yeah," said Chris, "But Twist kicked a-"

"I get it, Chris," I interrupted, "I'm surprised you guys even had time to watch my race with all that chatting! You act like you've known each other for years!"

They exchanged odd glances. "Well, it's not like I'm long lost or anything…" said Scarlett in a lightly sarcastic, but still very confused voice. Upon seeing the look of bewilderment on my face, she suddenly adopted a furious expression and turned towards Chris. "You didn't tell him?" she demanded in an assuming voice.

"Well," said Chris, shifting uncomfortably, "You know how those topics sort of seem to… You know… Lead to each other…"

"You mean you didn't tell him any of it?" she yelled, her face contorted in rage, "You've known him for practically all of your life and you've never told him?"

He seemed to break down under her glare, and turned to me sheepishly. "Hunter," he said miserably, "Scarlett is my cousin."

"Okay," I said, nervous after Scarlett's seemingly unwarranted outburst, "But why is that such a big deal? I don't get it."

He shrugged, and Scarlett stalked off, fuming and muttering something about getting ready for the next competition. As soon as she was out of earshot, Chris continued the conversation. "I just have a lot of cousins, that's all," he said, obviously holding something back.

"Who cares about that?" I asked, still as much in the dark as I was a second ago.

"I mean a lot," he repeated, "Most of my friends at school were actually my cousins."

"Like who?" I asked.

"Drew, Jordan, Melissa, Shelby, Miguel, and a couple of other kids. But you get the idea," he said.

I was a little surprised, but it didn't really affect me at all, so I dropped the subject. We talked about the race for a while, when Chris suddenly looked down at the watch on his Pokedex. "****," he swore, "I gotta get ready for my competition. I'm facing some kid on the battling course. I'll see you later!"

With that, he ran off through the crowd. I followed soon after, and made my way towards where Scarlett was standing, leaning over the edge of a stadium divided into two sections. She was muttering under her breath, but she plastered on a fake smile when I approached. "Do you know who Chris is facing?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No. I don't even really know what they have to do."

We didn't have to wait long, as the competitors walked onto the field immediately. Opposite Chris was a tall boy with dirty blonde hair scattered over his face. His vacant blue eyes stared off into the distance. When Chris stuck out his hand, as was customary, the boy just ignored him. Annoyed, Chris backed into his corner, and the boy did the same.

"Oh my god!" exclaimed Scarlett, "Hunter, he has to fight Kid!"

I didn't believe that they would actually do that, but not only were her suspicions confirmed, but it even went beyond that. As they called out their Pokemon, Chris his Machop and Kid his Sableye, they stepped into the second arena, away from the Pokemon. Murmurs spread through the crowd as everyone realized that they had to actually fight each other while their Pokemon did battle.

"He could hurt him!" panicked Scarlett, "Kid is probably so fragile, and…"

"Scarlett," I reassured her, "Autism is a mental disease. For all we know, Kid might be strong as a Machop, and fight like a Hitmonlee."

She didn't say anything, but her nervousness was apparent. All eyes in the stadium were on Kid and Chris, and when the whistle blew, Chris rushed forward. He pulled back his fist, thrusting it forward at Kid's face, although he was obviously holding back. But it didn't matter, as Kid moved his head slightly, causing Chris's punch to miss completely.

Surprised, even amused, Chris went in for another blow. Again, Kid simply ducked out of the way. Blow after blow, punch after punch, Kid kept dodging. Whether he had to swerve to the side, duck down low, or even spin out of the way, he evaded all injury. I almost laughed from pure shock when I saw he still had the same vacant look in his eyes, and he didn't seem to notice Chris at all.

Chris was angrier than I had ever seen him by now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him foaming at the mouth. Performing a quick spin, he dropped down low for a kick to the shins while attempting to punch him in the face at the same time. Kid then did the single most amazing thing I had ever seen in my entire life. He jumped high enough to avoid the kick, while at the same time ducking to evade the punch. He seemed to stay suspended in the air for an eternity. Finally, he reached out with his hand, grabbing Chris's wrist. Kid himself winced at the touch, showing his first sign of emotion the entire battle. As the amazed crowd watched on, he flipped Chris onto his back with just that one hand, where he lay, whimpering in pain and shock.

The entire class was completely quiet, and Kid didn't move at first. As his Sableye came floating up from the unnoticed and unconscious Machop, Kid began walking towards the exit, the sounds of his shoes against the pavement echoing across the field. Once the last speck of purple from his Sableye had disappeared, the crowd let out its collective breath. Confused muttering, even louder than before, broke out.

I spotted Professor Hollenberry in the corner of the stadium. She was smirking, as if she knew this was going to happen, and she didn't bother trying to quiet the class. Instead, she just walked over and helped a humiliated Chris off of the ground, and aided him in his slow limp out of the stadium.

"Did I look that bad?"

The words flashed across my Pokedex's instant messenger system during Team Maintenance class. We were supposed to be accessing our Pokemon storage systems, but I had already figured out how to do it last night, so I responded to Chris's message.

"Yes. But why does it matter, really? It's not like that counted towards our grade."

"I have a reputation," came Chris's quick reply, "and I don't need it smashed apart by some little retard."

"Chris!" flashed a message from someone with a handle of RedGirl, "Don't talk about him like that! You're just mad because you lost to him!"

I typed in the initials for laugh out loud as Chris's reply came as a very rude gesture described within asterisks. Scarlett typed in one last angry smiley before signing out, leaving me to talk to Chris semi-privately.

"Seriously, dude," I typed, "You shouldn't worry about it. No one takes you that seriously anyway. j/k"

"Hilarious [/sarcasm]," came his indignant reply, "But I'm telling you, I'm going to beat that little ****** by the end of the year."

The messenger system blanked out the cuss word, but I knew what he was saying; it was probably his favorite word of all time, although usually he used it playfully, not seriously, like he was now. He signed out after that, just as the bell rang. Shaking my head and sighing, I closed my Pokedex.

"Don't forget your homework!" shouted Professor Bald-fat-and-boring Ott-Bales, "Organize your PC boxes by whatever criteria you want! Due tomorrow at the beginning of the period!"

My mouth, along with every other one in the class, hung open in surprise. I was sitting in my seat near the front in Battling Techniques, my eyes fixed on the stiff, starched, and pressed Professor Forthwith. I couldn't believe my ears, but I knew I had heard correctly.

"Yes, you heard correctly," said Professor Forthwith in his slightly drawling voice, "We will not be having any practical lessons, at least not right away. It is up to you to earn that privilege. I have had many classes who have had theory lessons all year, as they just never earned anything beyond it. But I sincerely hope you will."

He let this shocking news soak in, and I am positive that the class would have been full of whispered conversations and hurried instant messages if it wasn't for Professor Forthwith's strange commanding presence that kept us all quiet. Still, I managed to share a disbelieving look with both Chris and Scarlett.

Surprisingly, he didn't dwell on the subject, and jumped right into the real curriculum right away. "Our first benchmark," he explained, "is to explore and understand the meaning of Anston's Three Laws of Pokemon Battling. Today we will be studying Anston's first law. This law reads simply, 'Pokemon battling is not an independent skill.'"

It turned out to be quite an interesting lesson. Partway through the lecture he gave examples of the different types of skills which could influence Pokemon battling. He proved to be very perceptive of people's personalities and attributes when he said, "Right now I can look across the classroom and spot several students who I know will be great Pokemon battlers someday. Mr. Olsen, here, has the raw intelligence necessary for good strategy, while Ms. L'Art has the athleticism. Why, even Mr. Vargus's social skills and Mr. Dailey's… 'Unique flair' will help them and their Machop and Mr. Mime succeed. Of course, the best may very well be Mr. Jackson here, as autism has a way of… bringing out certain talents, especially Pokemon battling."

I was shocked that he was so blatant about Kid's autism, but I lost track of it in the muddy river of my thoughts as we were allowed to start our homework. We were to type up what we considered our primary talent which aided our battling skills and an explanation of why we thought so. That comprised the first section. In the second we were supposed to prove it somehow. I ended up writing a rather long essay flaunting my vocabulary, and copying my test scores and IQ to prove it. I didn't see what Chris or Scarlett did, as I was too distracted by Kid's.

He had done it on his Pokedex, like the rest of us, and the first section was just a fairly average statement that it was his speed and strength that helped him. But the second section was absolutely amazing. He had drawn, using only his rather lame laptop mouse, mind you, a perfectly detailed depiction of his fight with Chris. I would have been amazed that he even remembered everything, down to the faces in the crowd and the antics of Machop and Sableye in the background, but he rendered it in such amazing, unflawed detail, that I couldn't help but stare.

My wide-eyed amazement was interrupted by a loud crack from the other side of the room. Professor Forthwith was walking slowly away from Chris's desk, yardstick in hand. Chris was rubbing his head sorely, and whimpering under his breath. He looked confused, and he shot a nasty glare at Professor Forthwith. I didn't dare try to catch his eye, and instead just returned to my work.

Chris was cussing up a storm, not even paying any attention to what he was shoving greedily from his plate to his mouth. It was lunchtime, and I was sitting at a table with him, Scarlett, and Kid, like Professor Donague had requested. Chris was still angry about Professor Forthwith hitting him with the ruler, and he was expressing it without holding back.

"I don't know what the **** the ****** was thinking!" he shouted, stuffing some steak into his mouth, "I was just sitting there, writing the **** assignment, when he hit me in the ******* head! I wasn't doing anything ******* wrong!"

Scarlett looked doubtful. "Are you sure, Chris? You were IMing during Maintenance, maybe you left the messenger open."

I shook my head. "I saw him sign off."

Chris broke out into a stream of cussing again, only to be abruptly stopped by Kid. "I like him," he said, his voice light and airy, like it didn't get much use.

We waited for more, but it never came. It should have been strange to hear his voice for the first time, but it seemed so natural, we didn't really notice. As soon as we were sure he wouldn't say anything else, Chris started in again. Just when I was thinking that his lip would start bleeding from all the "f" sounds, he switched to a hush whisper.

"And this little ****** didn't make it any better, either," he said, assuming Kid was out of earshot, "I'm going to get c-"

"Chris," warned Scarlett, "Don't say things like that."

He rolled his eyes, but switched back to cussing at Professor Forthwith. I sighed, and tried to drown out his voice in mashed peas. Only three more periods, I thought to myself, And then he'll shut up. Three more periods.

Years
    AWWWSOME!!!
    I still love it, and this sounds like a... very.. umm... interesting academy...*expands vocabulary*
    I can't wait for the next chapter... try not to forget where you posted it, though... heh heh.

Darkdata

15 year old me was an idiot.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2013
    Great Job
    10/10
    work This is 1 of the best fanfiction i ever saw.
    :D

Eevee Trainer

I Have No Meaning In Life
    Years
    loved it. i have my own posted fan fic and its know where as good or as long as this. hope you write more *anxiously waits for more*

Back