• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Pokemon OR/AS 'Should-Change' Thread

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who prefers the Maison/Subway to the Frontier.....

Years
    Well, HGSS copy/pasted the Frontier from Platinum, except for making Move Tutors require BP while the latter didn't. But I could understand that some people aren't as much into gimmicks like what the Frontier tends to throw at you (and there's less areas that would probably be rage-inducing...). As I mentioned, I don't really care about it not returning here myself.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    What should be changed in ORAS:
    Expanded Regional Dex. The only expansions present are to current Hoenn families, which the trainers rarely use. Heck, Wally should have had a Magnezone and a Roserade on his team instead of Magneton and Roselia respectively.
    Battle Frontier. It would be nice to have, but not worth losing any sleep over it.
    Mega Rayquaza. Just nerf it so Smogon doesn't have to break the fundamental purpose of what Ubers is, a banlist, by banning it from there.
    Overpowered abilities on Mega Evolutions (will probably affect X/Y also). These induce a power curve of its own which can be somewhat comparable to the Weather Wars of Gen V. The -liate abilities in particular need nerfs - Why does a type conversion ability need to boost its power in the process? Parental Bond also needs serous nerfing while the other broken megas that don't abuse the -liate abilities (read: Gengar, Lucario and Mawile) get different abilities to make them more managable.
    Broken abilities on non-megas (will probably affect X/Y also). Gale Wings needs a nerf despite Talonflame not being centralizing enough to ban - It forces you to run resists or pokemon that are bulky enough to take 120 BP priority Brave Birds from Talonflame or make sure rocks are up to prevent it from safely entering altogether. Additionally, Protean needs to be nerfed too, so that Greninja will be more managable.

What ORAS did change and should remain that way (in response to common complaints):
    Difficulty. The game is geared towards kids, so it should remain easy. A game of challenging difficulty to us would be a nightmare for kids. A challenge mode would be nice, but not really mandatory
    Mauvile City. I don't know about you, but I felt it was so plain in the original that GF felt the need to rebuild it from scratch. Something does feel off a little about its design which feels like a giant shopping mall, but it is at least different from the rest of the big cities we had.
    No roaming legends. These were incredibly tedious to catch in any of the games, far more than any non-roaming legendaries. The fact that they can run while they are asleep to is stupid. Though I suppose they could return if their encounter mechanics change (eg. catchrate increasing steadily for each encounter).
    The "teleporting" cutscene with May. The one with Wally is bad because it didn't ask if you wanted to do it, but the one with May is perfectly fine because it asks you wherever you wanted to do that or not. It is convenient because you can skip straight to the next gym without Fly/Soaring if you wanted to get right on with the game instead of taking the time to explore.

Last edited:

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    Good luck with that, as ORAS is already at 9.35 million last time as of January last time I checked compared to XY's 13.5 million sales (though XY's 13.5 is as of the end of December so it may be slightly better).
    If you want a fair comparison, XY had reached 11.61 million units by the end of 2013. They had been out for five weeks longer than ORAS were last year, but that barely matters considering that sales stagnate after the Christmas season. So I see no reason to believe that ORAS will surpass XY, and I am not sure why anyone would expect that in the first place.

It's alright to complain about the lack of features and species per type diversity (not type diversity as that's something else) but to actually hope that something crashes and burns seems down right petty tbh.
    All Pinkie-Dawn said is that remakes shouldn't be Game Freak's biggest source of revenue.

Now if anyone is wonder HgSs sold 12.67 million as of 2013, 10 million of those by July 2010 (4 months after they came out Int) so ORAS will defeat HgSs at this rate as it'll likely hit 10 million this month, 3 months after it's worldwide release, making them the most successful remakes thus far in terms of sales.).
    HGSS were released in March outside Japan, which is to say that they didn't have the Christmas season going for them as ORAS did. That's why their sales kept growing pretty noticeably throughout 2010, which is unlikely to be the case for ORAS this year as they were released right before Christmas worldwide (their European release was even delayed to coincide with Black Friday). Fast initial sales don't necessarily indicate better sales in the long haul.

In Japan, sales tend to be sealed by the end of the nearest Christmas season, as subsequent sales are minuscule in comparison. The figure for ORAS in Japan is 2.92 million, compared to HGSS' 3.74 and XY's 4.34 figures as of December of their respective release years (the numbers barely changed later). I doubt that the international sales will reverse this gap.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
    I get that this is a "childerens" game but they could at least put difficulty levels and more than what they did with bw2. Only hard/easy mode. I would like a mode with a pure challenge like all gym leaders have 6 pokémon, the smartest ai and restrictions as in can't use items in trainer battles, locked in set mode, egg/tutor moves on gym leader/rival/e4 pokémon and also give them competitive viable teams.

Years
    I somehow hoped that they would use the old Pokémon's cries again in OR/AS... I still haven't gotten used to most of the new cries, some (like Raichu for example) just sound so weird! Am I the only one who likes the old cries better than the new ones introduced in X/Y?

Nakala Pri

Pokéblocks. They turned a very fun thing into something so lifeless and dull. :( In Pokémon Pearl, when my siblings had the file, I'd always use all of their berries on making seriously crappy poffins! ^_^ I wish it was the same in ORAS ):<

Contests. The 3DS camera is nowhere near good enough for this. You're just playing against a pitch black background when you're in the Sun Room. XD

Graininess. It was pretty darn grainy. Ravished Ravaged Path, for example. D: Not as bad as X/Y but I dunno, it was pretty unappealing. I wish they made it a bit smoother.

But it is a seriously amazing game and I think that the faults are pretty darn tiny compared to the sheer awesomeness of the experience. >:^D

Years
    And here's one that I thought of: there are so few trainers in the game that have movesets that rely on TMs and the like. So many trainers only use the level-up moves they have present as if they caught them at that level. Not even Victory Road's trainers have interesting movesets. And nor do the five trainers you can battle daily at the Battle Resort.

Now, I understand that they want to make the games easier, but they just really made a lot of the not important opposition to be pretty weak. I mean, say what you want about XY, at least trainers in those games (especially after the sixth Gym in areas like Frost Cavern) had strong moves on their Pokémon and made them more interesting to battle, for better or for worse (looking at you, Black Belts and Battle Girls). I mean, in the post-game, this one Ace Trainer on Route 111 has a Haxorus with Dragon Dance and Swords Dance...and Dragon Pulse. If that doesn't explain how lazy they got with trainers, I don't know what does.

Well, to be honest like SoulSilver/HeartGold they only had dared to changed things that does not warp the timeline or story of original games. For example, the expanded PokeDex for both Trainers and Gym Leaders alike, or how Mega/Primal Evolution was introduced, etc.~

Yes, added storyline on how Kyogre/Groudon can Primal evolve is quite big and or even the addition of Delta Episode, but the story of them*OR/AS* just ends up similar to the original games just with more elaboration, much like so on TyranitarTube's reply video about DLC.

The addition and implementation of some of the said changes is to attract new players as usual and or also as an added incentive to older players. For example reintroduction of other region Pokemon and Mega Stones after Cave of Origin arc. While some added changes like numerous legends from other regions is there to support a new added storyline; this time a whole game added with extra legends just to suit the story of the Hoopa. And or to exapand/elaborate on storylines from the original games; an example of this, we finally knew why Steven had to go off. But one can even argue that Mirage Island and Mirage Tower's story is also being elaborated through this.

Adding features only visible in Pokemon Emerald at that time, which has deep relations with R/S will be quite confusing since Pokemon works in a timeline. The changes viewed in HG/SS such as PokeAthlon or two regions in one game was quite big, but it did not change or warp the story orginals. Instead we get elaborations on some storylines such as where did Giovanni left to, etc. Plus, some can even argue that one other reason for Battle Frontier not showing is that in the original Emerald, your first meeting with Brandon mentions of him just coming back from a journey, so going by timeline of the game, R/S timeline is still when he is still out on a journey.

To complain lack of Overworld Pokemon is a bit aloof sounding since there are more Overworld pokemon in OR/AS than in the original games.
    If you properly checked, you should know there is a Lvl. 200+ Zigzagoon in the game, which you did not mention.
    The concept of Legendary is to attract people. IT DOES suit the story since the person plays as the protagonist of that world. As far as the game is concerned, each game is a copy of the same universe/world, communication between trainers is also seen this way since PC operators in the game; Lanette on the original game *R/S/E* stresses on how technology is improving that Pokemon can now travel in space/time through PC. Going by your idea more Pokemon players will cheat and or quit since not everyone will be good enough to win titles.

The difficulty is to soothe larger population of new players, that is 15 and below, you may not find it difficult since you have learned from past games, but each game always tries to target new players, therefore they have to make it just right for them. Gym Leader badges is there to make it not too easy since an over leveled Pokemon will not follow its trainer. And more prominent characters or more powerful trainers always uses potion of all sorts, being limited at 2 mostly.
    The way you put your criticisms only target experienced players. Does a new player/intermediate player even have that much gold even by the time of Pokemon League? Or even that such high leveled Pokemon? The truth is their Pokemon will likely be under-leveled exactly why experienced Pokemon streamers usually tell their viewers and also guide books tell players what's the optimum levels Pokemon should be to successfully defeat a gym. If you are knowledgeable on this, you will realise that a level cap of 10 levels is there for the first gym Roxanne which has pokemon of Lvl 13, etc. going above this will mean you Pokemon will not follow you anymore.

However, I do have an issue about AI being stubborn on not switching. And I do agree that having a 'Challenge Mode' like Pokemon B/W2 would be awesome.

But for people complaining about how raising Pokemon became easier, EXP. SHARE CAN BE SWITCHED OFF.
    If anyone have a view on why Japan mostly have all events I'll happily address it by copy and pasting one of my comments in another thread.

Last edited:
    Back