• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Professor is a female! Gasp.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
  • i like Juniper of all professors. For me, she has the most essence and personality followed by Oak. The others struck me as really mindless drones, especially Rowan.

-Did you welcome the change to a female Professor with open arms?

Oh yes, definitely.

- Do you think she was a "good" Professor?

She was second best, next to Oak for me, despite lacking a specialty field, unlike the others.

- Do you think she had more personality than the other Professors?

Yes. Like most girl IRL.

- Do you like that her father was also brought into the story and actually plays "somewhat" of a part post-game in checking your Pokedex?

Mr. Juniper? I think he is really unneeded btw. I like Prof Juniper better.

- Why do you think they chose to have a female Professor?

maybe to eradicate the monotonousness of the professors in the past.

Years
  • - Did you welcome the change to a female Professor with open arms?

I wouldn't say open arms lol but yeah, it was a nice change.

Yeah, she was pretty good as a professor.

I think personality wise, she's similar to most of the other profs.

- Do you like that her father was also brought into the story and actually plays "somewhat" of a part post-game in checking your Pokedex?

I don't mind.

Switch things up a bit most likely. Just a subtle change to add a bit of spice I suppose.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I was happy when I found out this, it a new change and having a male professor for four generations can become repetitive. Overall I'd say shes my favourite professor, either her or Oak.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It's about time we broke the stereotypical male professor trend that had been going on for like, forever. Shame she couldn't appear in a better-executed game, but I did appreciate how she was more involved in the story than past professors. Don't know why her dad had to be brought in as he didn't really contribute that much and is the stereotypical "old man" professor.

With me, she ranks much higher than the professors that came before her. With the possible exception of Cipher Admin Ein (who was a "professor" of a different, more evil sort :P )

Shame that we couldn't have a female professor and female champion/ultimate end boss, as that would really make a dent in the "male-dominated" stigma of Pokemon games.

Years
  • I think Juniper is my fave professor, probably because she gets a bigger role in the storyline and the fact she gives you a Lucky Egg in Chargestone Cave.

D/P/Pt introduced a female Champion (Cynthia) and B/W also introduced a female rival (Bianca) so we are seeing that male trend for Champions and rivals finally broken. What we need now is a female villainous team leader in 6th Gen.

I guess the reason they wanted a female professor this generation is because they wanted to change things after 4 generations of male professors.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Because particular females probably complained so much about not having a female professor even though there is one (Ivy) but they wanted it inside of the games.

Really? I don't think many females would've personally emailed those who designed the characters. In fact, I didn't really think of it as much of a problem before - seeing it now it's like "oh yeah it's great" but in the past I never really questioned why there was only males, idk I might've been the only one, though.

It partly contributed to my reason for buying Black and White, since I perceived at first that perhaps there are other differences and "broken traditions" (so to say) in Black and White. Being a Pokemon fan since Generation 1, I wanted to experience these perceived "differences".

Ooh, wonderful! I am pleased it contributed to you buying the games. :3

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

They changed because certain things get old, things need to be refreshed. This was a good move by Nintendo, as black and white brang lots of new people into the series, what do you think if they found out all the professors were male. Good move. Although she seemed kinds weird, she wasn't your tradition Pokemon professor, not a bad move, probably good for the newbies, but I prefer the Oak type character. It Shows Nintendo is not sexist, like male and female protagonist choice in g/s.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    - Did you welcome the change to a female Professor with open arms?
    Of course. Not only is Juniper female, but she also appears relatively young, which is a MASSIVE break-away from the professors that have appeared in the games so far.
    I actually think she is one of the best, mainly because it felt like she was more involved in the story than the other regional professors. She appeared regularly throughout the game, and even told off N. I also liked how she was given some depth as far as her background and relation with her father.
    Sort of. Could have been milked a bit, but for what she was she was okay. At least she's better than Rowan.
    I have no opinion on it.
    Probably because Game Freak realized they were becoming stale, so they threw in a professor that is actually likable to get your attention.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • As a feminist, obviously I was happy to see that we finally had a female professor ! \o/
    That's more original than usual. Professor Rowan wasn't for example a good idea, it was just a kind of Professor Oak but totally worse. I was afraid the next professor to be boring too.
    But no, it's at a young woman's turn to give you the famous Pokédex and so on.
    Ok, she's a female, it's cool, we can't say the contrary. Unfortunately, I think she wasn't really... charming... I can't even criticize her personnality because I just don't know it :/ I mean, it hasn't any influence of me. Except Professor Rowan she's the professor I like the least... So yes I'm a little disappointed.
    I know everybody don't care at all, but I just wanted to add that her shoes don't suit her ^^ Ok it's not important, but that gives a strange effect, her outfit could be better without that things, so why ? Why did you do that Mister the developers? :pink_no:

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2020
    I was really not bothered, as it didn't really seem to be a huge deal to me. However, it was obviously going to happen.

However, Juniper just seems to be more kind and homely compared to the other Professors. Whether thats because she is female or not I don't know.. I suppose when they decide to make another female professor like Rowan we will know!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • - Did you welcome the change to a female Professor with open arms?
    Eh, I didn';t really care about her gender - I'm more interesting in the professor's character when they are revealed after all. As for why...well, I guess 'because they wanted to'. There's no real other reason to have a female professor - it's up to them and was only a matter of time as well. (And if you look at other canons, she's not the first female professor either!)

As for her...she was alright, and I liked her part in telling off N (who just ignored her, pfft), but other than that she wasn't particularly memorable. At least she didn't run in fear from Zigzagoon (Birch) or not know where eggs came from (Elm).

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • Honestly, I like her and like that there is a female professor in the games. It seems like it was about time really. I think I'll always like Professor Oak and Professor Birch the best though. They're just so fun!

Axiom

Seraphic
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2012
    She is a woman! Hear her Roar!
    Opinion was dragged out.

I think they just wanted a change from what's been used before. Unova's all about a fresh start, so why not have a female professor to really nail the lid on the coffin? Plus, Pokemon's always had a very male-heavy influence. If you think about it, you couldn't play as a female until Gen. 3 and in generation One, the only female character to have a significant impact on the storyline (not as a gym leader/E4, etc.) was... Er... Mother? Or possibly Daisy. She saved me hours of confusion with that magical map of hers.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Obviously I had to get used a little, and it's not like I liked it more than a male professor, but I did like it for a change, cause it's really very different. I thought she was real fun and like, a little bit of a scatterbrain/preoccupied but that added to her personality XD I think they just wanted something new, B/W was new and unique in so many aspects that yeah this is an obvious decision they made, and I liked it but I would like a male prof in the next one!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Plus, Pokemon's always had a very male-heavy influence.

That's also a point. Do you think that the professor might have been added to appeal to the male audience? I know it sounds kinda weird, but adding her could've also been done to appeal to the males since why else would've they added her father too? :x

(I mean I'm pretty sure that was Elesa and Skyla's entire purpose as far as design goes).

Axiom

Seraphic
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2012
    I don't see how she could appeal to a male audience. I mean... Pokemon is, at its core, aimed at younger children, and younger children tend to be very "Boys are better than girls" or "Girls are better than boys" in all aspects of life. I would call it sexism but it's not really that, it's just kids conforming to their peers. And to your point about Elesa and Skyla, Unova, at least to my eyes, is a parallel of the U.S.A, and whilst I'm not trying to judge its culture, the younger women there, and indeed most western nations, are often pictured as more independent in other places- both by themselves and other countries. So Skyla and Elesa would naturally be representative of that free and independent sub-culture and at such a young age already have risen to a high rank, as have so many western women. That said, there's also Karen and Dahlia- but my first impression of both was also very western. Still, I've probably got my biases acting up again, but I don't think Nintendo would include a female character to appeal to a male audience- it's probably all for gender equality and such political correctness.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I certainly did open the change with welcome arms! I love the fact that they finally introduced a female Professor to the games! After playing and learning more about her, I made the decision that she was one of the best professors since she actually goes places outside of her lab!!! I thinks he has more personality, more spark, and is a lot more interesting than the other Professors.

Back