• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Region of Roanoke OoC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundash

RolePlaying Vagabond
Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2007
    Note: Before you look at this and go 'Dang! It's long! The only parts that are really required to be read are the Plot info, rules, and sign-up sheet. The rest is just the map, which explains what some parts of Roanoke are like, and the credits, which credits people who helped with this.

Plot Info: Every region has it's own story, it's own legends, it own accomplishments. In each region you can find unique culture and history. In the land of Kanto you can listen to the tales of the three great birds of lore. In the land of Johto, you can learn about how Ho-oh blessed the three dogs, and let them live. In the land of Hoenn, you can find out how Groudon and Kyogre shaped the Earth. In the land of Shinoh, you can discover how Arceus created all things, and made the guardians of space and time.

In Roanoke, you can hear about how all traces of humankind disappeared, and people came back to find the wilderness it began as, just a mere century ago. About how all the cities had mysteriously disappeared into thin air. And how all that was left as a clue was a barren island that wasn't there before, with a single tree marked 'Croaton'.

Fifty years ago, people reinhabited the region. Soon towns and cities spurted up. It regained contact with other regions. It even developed it's own Pokemon League, even though it's still yet to have Pokemon Contests. Roanoke even gained it's evil team, Team Silicon, who hopes to somehow use the origin of the mass disappearance of Roanoke to their own devices, though they are yet to be much more then a minor annoyance.

You are a trainer beginning their adventure to Roanoke. You will travel throughout the region earning badges, meeting people, and pursuing their dreams. You will travel with a fellow group of trainers, facing off with enemies and creating rivals, while creating and befriending a team of pokemon. Your journey begins now.

Map Info: All info about the various parts of Roanoke can be found here. ^.^ You don't really need to look through here much, but it can give you a good idea of what kind of locations to expect in Roanoke. You don't need to read it, but it explains a lot of the locations. Note: A lot of the names will probably change, just to warn you. If you have any suggestions of what I could rename something, just PM me about it. Cause I admit, some of the names such.

Towns: You know, the cities and such.

Kindling Town: This town is located on the island of two. All beginning trainers stop here in order to obtain their starter (if they don't already have a pokemon), and necassary equipment to start a journey (such as a pokenav, pokedex, etc.) This town is fairly small, but it is known to have some of the kindest residents residing here.
    Verdeblu City: This town is located in the middle of the large swamp of Endlessglade Puninsula. Most of the houses are built on high elevations in order to avoid regular floods. Some of the houses are built on man-made towers, which is another adaptation the townsfolk made in order to avoid flooding.
    Fertilife Village: This town is located in Natureco Forest. It is famous for it's flower fields. It's one of the smaller villages of Roanoke. Wild pokemon freely wander through this town. There is a great shrine in the middle dedicated to the mysterious legend of Roanoke.
    Terreath Town: This town is famous for it's unique architexture and it's mines, which are rumored to contain fossils of ancient pokemon. Their main source of water is underground rivers, which they use wells they get access to. They also have a fairly good oil company. One of the main sources of tourists for this town is it's library.
    SandGale City: This town is located near the base of Norlow Mountain. It has a small reserve for flying pokemon, and holds the first pokemon contest to ever hit Roanoke. It has regular sandstorms, as a result of wind stirring up sand and dirt around the city, which gave it it's namesake.
    Morbide Village: This town is located withing Subaki Forest. Streetlights have been setup throughout the entire town, to provide light and to keep away stray pokemon. The canopy above it is extremely thick, keeping most sunlight away from the town. Residents here tend to be somewhat pale. It is still unknown what idiot decided to go into the forest and create this colony. There are rumors that say that they have a small sanctuary for ghost pokemon here. This town also has a museum.
    Icepeak Town: This town is located near the top of one of the higher mountains of Roanoke. Their houses are literally built on a thick bed of ice. One of their main sources of business is their natural Glacier Spring water, which has the ability to help heal pokemon. It is the home of Glacier Field natural park, which has a surprising amount of pokemon.
    Hydregy City: This town provides most of the electricity to power up Roanoke. It gets it's energy from hydroelectric plants located along the river. Many electric pokemon are prone to hang around these plants. There is also an abandoned hydroelectric plant located down near the river.
    Scarlet City: This town is located near a dormant volcano. This town is home of the final gym leader. Most of these towns streets and such are actually hollows in the ground created from lava flowing from the volcano long ago. Many formations surrounding the town were created from hardened lava.

Islands: Here's info about the three islands of Roanoke.

Croaton Island: The smallest of the three islands, it is uninhabited, and has extremely few pokemon on it. This island is the site of the tree marked 'Croaton'. It is extremely bare, just a sheet of flat rock with no landsites except the tree and an extremely large mountain. The mountain is said to reach to the heavens. Nobody really bothered to name it, so the island itself was basically named after the marking.
    Dawning Island: This island contains the starting town. It has many fairly weak pokemon. It has a large hill, which slowly smooths out and turns into a beach. The hill is home to normal and grass types, while you can see many crusteceans along the beach, plus an occasional staryu or corsola. It is one of the stops of the S.S. Marine, which carries passengers across water.
    CliffShore Island: This island has a low mountain, which is home to many flying, steel, rock, and ground types. It contains flying town, home of the flying gym. It is also a stop for the S.S. Marine. Instead of beaches, it has a steep rocky shore.

Forests: Well, this made-up region of mine has two forests. ^.^ Read up on them here!

Natureco Forest: This forest is more or less a plain old regular forest. It is home to an ecosystem consisting of grass, bug, and flying types. You can here the occasional creek rushing through here, though most of them are not big enough to be labeled on the map.

Subaki Forest: This is quite different from the first forest trainers pass through. The canopy is extremely thick, allowing very little light through. It is home to mostly dark, rock, and ground types, even though you see a few grass types now and then. It is advised to always have a fire around with you in this forest, to keep more dangerous pokemon away.

Peninsulas: Well...there's only one, but you can see the description of that one peninsula here!

EndlessGlade Peninsula: This peninsula is covered mostly by swamps and marshes. It is well known for Croconaw and Feraligator sightings. It is incredibly humid. A path has been established in order to allow trainers to pass by. This swamp contains many water, grass, and a few pokemon. This is a good place for newer trainers to catch pokemon and train against wild ones. (A/N: Most of you probably know the namesake of this....*coughevergladescough*)

Mountains: High pointy thingies.

Croatan's Mountain: This is the mountain located on Croatan Island. It is said to reach to the heavens, as you can't see the top of it from the ground. Old legends say it balanced the sun, as there's a faint glowing on top. It has very few pokemon. It is also named after the marking.
    Caledonia Mountain: This mountain is only second in height to Croatan Mountain. It's peak is covered by a large glacier. Part of the glacier melts periodically, which eventually created Sparkflow River. You can see ice, water, and rock types on this mountain.
    Obsidia Mountain: Actually, it's more of a volcano. Many fire pokemon swarm around her, along with ground and steel types. People have claimed to have seen a giant serpentine-like creature in the volcano's magma.
    Norlow Mountain: It's one of the smaller mountains, but still a mountain. Many bird, rock, steel, and ground pokemon dwell in the cliffs here. Many strong winds blow threw this area. It is also the home of the flying gym.

Water Sources: All the main water sources can be listed here.

Sparkflow River: This river is often used as a travel route to use from Ice Peak Town to Hydregy Town. It takes about a day and a half to travel down this river. Many water pokemon live in this river. It is also sometimes used a fishing spot. It's water source is the glacier by Ice Town. It also fuels the power plant of Hydregy Town (you know, hydroelectric energy).

Various lakes and creeks: Yes, there are a few lakes and creeks, but none of them have very much importance. Only the largest ones are listed on the map. Feel free to give them (appropriate) names as we come across them, if you want.

Other: I'll describe all the places in between when we get there...I just wanted to give you an overview of some of the terrain and towns.

Okay...so, since if you got this far in reading this, it probably means you're interested in this roleplay. Either that or it's 1 A.M. in the morning and you have nothing better to do. Anyway...if you want to, go and sign up. ^.^ Please only sign-up if you've read the plot info and rules.

Name: First and last name. Put pronunciation if necessary.
    Age: How old is your character? Please have it between 11-15.
    Personality: Well...how does your character react? Is (s)he shy and withdrawn? Or would (s)he randomly punch somebody for no reason? Tell us here! (At least 4 lines)
    Appearance: What does (s)he look like? Is she muscalur, or wimpy? Does (s)he have long locks of hair, or none at all? Tell us here! (At least 4 lines)
    Hometown/City: Any city in any of the four official regions of pokemon.
    Character History: What was your character's life like before journeying to Roanoke? Please nothing like 'i was teh son of teh pokemon champ' or 'i was a rich child millionaire', or anything ubersome like that. At least two lines.
    Starter pokemon: Pick a starter from the list. You can't choose it if it's already taken by somebody whose roleplay sign-up has been accepted.
    Treeko
    Mudkip
    Torchic
    Chikorita
    Totodile
    Cyndaquil
    Riolu
    Pikachu
    Cubone
    Munchlax
    Clefairy
    Starter pokemon history: Well...if you didn't get your starter from the lab, how did you obtain it? If you obtained it from the lab, please just put 'N/A' or 'Obtained from Roanoke Lab'.
    Reason for going to Roanoke: Well...I don't really think anyone would risk going someplace where there was a risk of events re-occuring just for the league when there are others. Please post a secondary reason here. Examples could include wanting to researching Roanoke, or even just wanting to figure out how it happened.
    Other info: Post any other info regarding your character here. Absolutely nothing like 'I can talk to pokemon' or 'I can read minds' or any other things that couldn't naturally happen.

Accepted:
    Hinamori_Momo - Good job! =D
    iLike2EatPiez - Awesomecakes. ^^
    raichuchika- Personally, I don't see how you're PC's most annoying member with a form like that....anyway, you just need to get a different starter, as the one you have has already been taken.
    Mika- Wow...pure PWN.
    Alter Ego - Even purer pwn. You put us all to shame. *bows down in utmost reverance*
    Te-em- Tis good. Accepted!
    Evkay - ACCEPTED!
    Hero - Better now it's edited.
    Soundash - Need I say anymore?
    Arceus7o7 - Up 'n' Ready

Needs to improve on form:
    Hawks - Pretty good so far, but you need to add a bit to your personality and appearance.
    TNT- You just need to use a bit better grammer, and add to personality, appearance, and history.
    RacerKing - No offense...but you need a lot more.

STARTER INFO-
    Squirtle - Taken by Shuricel.
    Charmander - Taken by Hero
    Treeko - Taken by Evkay
    Mudkip - TAKEN by raichuchika.
    Torchic - Taken by Hawks once his form is improved.
    Chikorita - Taken by Te-em
    Totodile- TAKEN by Soundash.
    Cyndaquil - TAKEN by Mika.
    Riolu - TAKEN BY Hinamori_Momo
    Pikachu - TAKEN by arceus707
    Cubone - TAKEN BY iLike2EatPiez
    Munchlax - Taken by Alter Ego
    Clefairy - Taken by TNT once form has improved.

Credits: Er...thanks to the original Roanoke story that inspired the plot for the roleplay.
    Many thanks to Pomegranate who helped give ideas for the roleplay, sprited stuff, and lots of other stuff.
    Many thanks to me! [Shuricel] *insert egotastical comments here*
    Many thanks to all the wonderful roleplayers out there who'll make this roleplay worth it.

Ok, here's the deal: to keep my ass from being kicked kicked for convinience, this is going to be the Region of Roanoke OoC Thread, so that the other one is estrictively (spelling?) for RP. So, all the issues should be addressed here.

Note: I am not the creator of this RP! If you want to be in, speak with Shuricel.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2007
    Thank you, Soundash. I really appreciate it. =D

Anyway, Arceus7o7 is accepted now. ^^

Soundash

RolePlaying Vagabond
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2007
    No prob. And Arceus is now on the ok list. Only 3 more to go... I think.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2008
    Question

I gave Cyndaquil to Mika can I choose from the Kanto starters. \

I pick Charmander

Soundash

RolePlaying Vagabond
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2007
    Ok, if memory serves Shuricel, you said two days ago we would start in two day's time right? Not wanting to put pressure on or anything, just making sure. If so, would you have the courtesy to begin it when you are ready?

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2007
    Sorry....but it'll probably begin late tonight, or midday tomorrow. I got stuck with my baby bro as soon as I got home from school, and my dad's about to pick me up in a few minutes for something else.

You may put your starting posts in if you like, though. ^^ And I'll post my sign-up later.

Basically, dock off the ship or something, and start heading towards the lab.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Okay, starting post done and done. So I take it, we'll be waiting for you before we go ahead with the whole getting-the-starter thing (for those who don't have their pokémon already, of course)? Just want to make sure that I'm not lagging behind here. :3

Soundash

RolePlaying Vagabond
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2007
    Ok, it seems that everyone but Shuricel already got their starting post done, all I want to remind you is to be patience. Something that kept ticking me off in other forums is that eventually, someone kept on rushing and people who had a thighter schedule (such as myself) were simply left behind. This has happened more than once and in several places, it simply can't be helped.

Sometimes when roleplaying people have a tendency to become excited and to be oblivious to everything else, including the other roleplayers. In the excitement, they merely post the bare minimum limit with almost no thought in order to get ahead with the story as quickly as they can. Which results in 20 pages of rather weak, rushing roleplaying done in very little time by only two of perhaps a dozen people, leaving the other ten behind completely forgotten. Result? Carnage. Not only to the rushing roleplayers but also to what could have become a terrific piece of written art, killing the original joys of RPing to everyone.

I know that I am giving away a sermon that you are already hearing for the 1000th but, quite frankly, I needed to get it out of my system and it also is a necessary evil as we do not exactly live in the same street, but more like in completely different timezones. As such I would like to ask of you to have the consideration for other people that you would like other people to have for you. For the sake of your eyes and my fingers, my boring sermon finally ended, you can stop readng now. No, seriously stop reading.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • o.o

Soundash, you are my freakin' hero. ^0^

Seriously, I'm backing the above post one hundred per-cent. Just take your time, peoples; anything worth doing is worth doing slowly. ;D Living way up in the cold north, I largely miss the main posting time for all you American peoples and it's seriously discouraging to run into a mountain of four-liners when logging on in the morning. Besides, Shuricel hasn't posted yet so I really think we should wait for her before proceeding. Who's with me?

No-one? Well, fine, I'm still sticking to that opinion and you can't make me change. >0< Umm...yeah, I think I'll just reiterate fully concurring with the opinion expressed above and leave it at that. :3

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2007
    Don't worry. I'm going to make my starting post withing the hour.

Also, you don't all have to meet up at the lab. It'll probably be better if everyone meets up at the ship that takes us out of Dawning Island, for the simple fact that the ship is longer, and all the characters won't be waiting at the lab like idiots.

TNT: You still need to improve it just a mite more. ^^

Raichuchika: Just a notice, but you might want to be a bit more realistic with what attacks your pokemon knows. I'll let your mudkip keep Ice Beam, but don't let your pokemon learn powerful attacks that are from TM's without a bit of prior training.

Last edited:

Soundash

RolePlaying Vagabond
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2007
    Heh, to think that I just got my char out of the ship... meh, I like your idea better, afterall my char has no reason to go to the lab and it would be quite stupid for him to go there for tourism's sake.

Alter-Ego, I know how you feel, my time-zone is straight GMT, which makes it a bit hard for me to keep up with american Roleplayers. That was the main reason for me to go like that, so that people like us aren't left behind.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2007
    Okay, glad you agree.

Also, I want to explain a bit how the catching system will work. It should be able to give us each diverse teams. ^^

Also, let me explain to you how catching pokemon will work. This system is just to keep our teams diverse, so we don't all have tailows/charmanders/whatever.

Anyway, you're going to PM what pokemon you want on you team. Just PM me the five you want to start with, though we'll be able to catch more later. I'll PM you back, saying if those pokemon are free. No body will be able to have the same pokemon (unless it's one like wurmple, where there are 2 evolutions. Person 1 will get one of the evolutions, and person 2 will get the other). Also, if you choose a team of really pokemon that evolve into really rare/powerful pokemon like the following:

Larvitar
    Trapinch
    Dratini
    Bagon
    Beldum

you'll probably be replied asking to replace some of them with more common pokemon, like Scorpi and Gastly, just so the others will have a chance to get a good one.

We'll probably catch only one pokemon in each catching area we go to, just letting you know now. So don't catch your entire team before we get off the island, kay. ^.^ Also, make the pokemon you catch in a realistic order. Don't catch that Beldum on the list as we go down the island.

Also, you don't have to give movesets, or explain where you'll catch them, okay? ^^

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Back to a ship? And my character is just priding herself over getting off one. xD *Shot*

Anyways, quick question about the catching system: do we have to declare all of the pokémon we want in one go? I've always been more into thinking them up as the story progresses and my character grows (and, thus, I get a clearer picture of what kind of pokémon would best suit them). I've only got two other pokémon thought out yet (only one of them I'm 100% sure about) and it would really suck to have them snatched from under my nose just because I don't want to rush into making a decision on the last three.

Aaand...if a character were to catch Nincada, would that count as one or two? (Since it's only one pokémon but you get two when it evolves) Not sure if it's relevant for me, but the thought just struck me. xD

Oh, and we don't have to catch a pokémon in every area unless we want to, right? Sorry if I'm being pesky with all these questions, I'm just not used to organized catching systems. ^.^

And Soundash: I hope nothing in my latest IC bothers you. I can edit if you think it's powerplay (though I tried my best not to make it that way), it's just that it is very much like my character to be struck by misfortune and make a lousy first impression. xD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2007
    To anwser your questions:

a) No, of course not. You can send them in as you come up with them. Just note, the longer you take, the more likely it is that someone already took it.

b) It'd count as one pokemon, as you're capturing one pokemon.

c) No. 00; In every catching area, you can simply choose what you wanna do: Interact with other trainers, train pokemon, catch pokemon, battle wild pokemon, etc.

Soundash

RolePlaying Vagabond
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2007
    Alter Ego that was hilarious! Seriously, I loved the irony of something my character was searching for, hitting it on the face. Worry not, I can harldy call that powerplay, I've seen far much worse. I also liked that a massive chomper was chomped itself. Briliant.

Anyway Shuricel, what about a trade system? Say, trainer A has a pokemon trainer B would like to have for his party, but it was already taken by trainer A. I think if something like that happens the trainers could simply trade pokemons if they got to an agreement of sorts, it would be much simpler that way other than a discussion about which trainer should keep which pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2007
    Of course! That trading system will be put in effect. Thanks for the suggestion, Soundash. ^^

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Alter Ego that was hilarious! Seriously, I loved the irony of something my character was searching for, hitting it on the face. Worry not, I can harldy call that powerplay, I've seen far much worse. I also liked that a massive chomper was chomped itself. Briliant.

Heh, thank you. I did have a comic relief aspect in mind when I first came up with Kat and Gullwing, so I'm glad that my post amused you. I had a lot of fun writing that one, but I wasn't sure if it would translate to anyone else. xD Now I'm really itching to see Sabango's reaction though. :3 Oh well, guess it's just waiting for me, that and OOC blabber:

Speaking of which: yay for trades. Judging by the use of the word 'trainer' (as opposed to 'RPer'), I'm assuming that the trade would/could occur IC as well? As in, trainer A giving/trading their catch to trainer B in a post? It would take some mutual planning, but I think there's plenty of nice material for character development there. Even without that, a way to switch claims around is always a plus. Good idea either way. :3

Oh, and since there's still no sign of Mika: she told me that she's got a pretty nasty fever so she may not be able to get any posts done until that passes. Hence her current lack of an opening post. So, like, if she doesn't come around for a while, you know why. She hasn't forgotten about the RP, though, so don't worry about that. ^^

Incidentally, isn't it funny how it's basically just us three using the OOC thread? xD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2013
    crap crap! i forgot about the OoC thread and went and caught a poke in my last post already... sorry guys! :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back