• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Remake Pattern has Formed

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
  • In case it wasn't clear already:

We thought R/S would be remade in generation 5, they were remade in generation 6.
    We thought D/P would be remade in generation 7, that may not be the case now.

What do these two remakes have in common?

R/S/E was perfectly playable on the DS through it's GBA cartridge slot. Remaking it would be redundant. There is no way to play R/S/E on the 3DS, so they waited until the first 3DS generation to remake it.

D/P/Pt is perfectly playable on the 3DS. Remaking it would also be redundant. However, it seems increasingly likely that generation 8 will be the Switch generation. There is no way to play DS games on the Switch, therefore we can probably expect to see D/P remakes on the Switch.

From there, we can probably expect quite a few remakes over the next few generations, as absolutely none of the games prior to generation 8 will be playable on the Switch. That means generation 9 should include B/W remakes, generation 10 should include X/Y remakes...

...maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. You see the pattern though? Most probably already noticed this, but I wanted to put it out there. There's no reason to be disappointed that we didn't get D/P remakes this gen - it just means that one of the most beloved generations will be remade on a much better console, and by that time a Switch should be more accessible for a larger number of Pokemon fans.

An extra note: this is also the logic that lead people to believe R/B re-remakes may come in generation 7 - D/P are playable on the 3DS, but neither R/B nor FR/LG are. Perhaps the R/B/Y virtual console releases were meant to remedy this. The Sinnoh games are now the only ones with no access to Pokemon Bank, and are the prime candidates for the next remake in generation 8.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • In case it wasn't clear already:

We thought R/S would be remade in generation 5, they were remade in generation 6.
    We thought D/P would be remade in generation 7, that may not be the case now.

What do these two remakes have in common?

R/S/E was perfectly playable on the DS through it's GBA cartridge slot. Remaking it would be redundant. There is no way to play R/S/E on the 3DS, so they waited until the first 3DS generation to remake it.

D/P/Pt is perfectly playable on the 3DS. Remaking it would also be redundant. However, it seems increasingly likely that generation 8 will be the Switch generation. There is no way to play DS games on the Switch, therefore we can probably expect to see D/P remakes on the Switch.

From there, we can probably expect quite a few remakes over the next few generations, as absolutely none of the games prior to generation 8 will be playable on the Switch. That means generation 9 should include B/W remakes, generation 10 should include X/Y remakes...

...maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. You see the pattern though? Most probably already noticed this, but I wanted to put it out there. There's no reason to be disappointed that we didn't get D/P remakes this gen - it just means that one of the most beloved generations will be remade on a much better console, and by that time a Switch should be more accessible for a larger number of Pokemon fans.

This pattern has been known for some time now.
    Other patterns include a remake every five years 2004 (FrLg), 2009(HgSs (Jp)), 2014 (OrAs), and the remakes being every 8+ 2(X-1) years.
    X= Gen number. FrLG came 8 years after Red and Green. HgSs came out ten years after Gold and Silver. OrAs came out 12 after Ruby and Sapphire. So if this one continues then Diamond and Pearl should be remade in 8+2(4-1) -> 8+2(3) -> 8+6 -> 14 years after Diamond and Pearl's Japanese release. That means 2020. So either 2019 or 2020 for Sinnoh remakes :3.

Years
  • This pattern has been known for some time now.
    Other patterns include a remake every five years 2004 (FrLg), 2009(HgSs (Jp)), 2014 (OrAs), and the remakes being every 8+ 2(X-1) years.
    X= Gen number. FrLG came 8 years after Red and Green. HgSs came out ten years after Gold and Silver. OrAs came out 12 after Ruby and Sapphire. So if this one continues then Diamond and Pearl should be remade in 8+2(4-1) -> 8+2(3) -> 8+6 -> 14 years after Diamond and Pearl's Japanese release. That means 2020. So either 2019 or 2020 for Sinnoh remakes :3.

Your logic makes sense.

I noticed the five years pattern between remakes, so when you think about it I'm with you saying that 2019/2020 should be when the Sinnoh remakes happen, though that depends on when 8th Gen will exactly begin with its typical "new region introduction" paired version. Since 7th Gen started in 2016, and 3 years of a generation seem to be an established pattern now, I'm guessing 2019 will be when 8th Gen starts while 2020 will be DP remakes, and while that's 6 years instead of 5 since OR/AS, it was an exception because the previous year was to introduce the new region.

And the other pattern you mentioned taken into account means 2020 would be the ideal year for DP remakes to happen.

Years
  • Your logic makes sense.

I noticed the five years pattern between remakes, so when you think about it I'm with you saying that 2019/2020 should be when the Sinnoh remakes happen, though that depends on when 8th Gen will exactly begin with its typical "new region introduction" paired version. Since 7th Gen started in 2016, and 3 years of a generation seem to be an established pattern now, I'm guessing 2019 will be when 8th Gen starts while 2020 will be DP remakes, and while that's 6 years instead of 5 since OR/AS, it was an exception because the previous year was to introduce the new region.

And the other pattern you mentioned taken into account means 2020 would be the ideal year for DP remakes to happen.

And that exception would fittingly fit the gap that there was between RS and DP (4 years) opposed to the previous gaps of 3 years between Generations (GS was three years after RG and 3 before RS).

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I remain sceptical of such patterns. The trouble is you only have a few points of data, if that! Then you have a lot of other factors that would upset any meetings or plans of TPC to say 'now DPPt has to come out 14 years after, and BW 16 years', etc. Such as development cycles for hardware.

And besides, patterns are made to be broken. People expected HGSS before Platinum because FRLG came out before Emerald (and also expected Platinum to be called Opal). People expected a Pokemon Grey, not B2W2. People really expected a Pokemon Z version.

Lastly, DPPt could still happen this gen. ;p I personally think not (e.g. Marshadow's very early announcement suggests at a shorter generation) but I argue if say they want more time before gen 8 and the Switch (or something else if it suddenly flops), putting out a remake using existing 3DS assets is an option for Game Freak and friends.

Years
  • I remain sceptical of such patterns. The trouble is you only have a few points of data, if that! Then you have a lot of other factors that would upset any meetings or plans of TPC to say 'now DPPt has to come out 14 years after, and BW 16 years', etc. Such as development cycles for hardware.

And besides, patterns are made to be broken. People expected HGSS before Platinum because FRLG came out before Emerald (and also expected Platinum to be called Opal). People expected a Pokemon Grey, not B2W2. People really expected a Pokemon Z version.

Lastly, DPPt could still happen this gen. ;p I personally think not (e.g. Marshadow's very early announcement suggests at a shorter generation) but I argue if say they want more time before gen 8 and the Switch (or something else if it suddenly flops), putting out a remake using existing 3DS assets is an option for Game Freak and friends.

I feel that we'll get that mainstream Pokemon game on the Switch in the next year or two. I rather they hold off until Gen VIII so that DP remakes will look even better. I mean, I originally wanted Ruby and Sapphire to be remade in Gen V, but saving them for the 3DS allowed them to be some of the most beautiful games yet :).

pkmin3033

I think it's kinda cute that people think they can predict Game Freak's every move when since Gen V they have gone out of their way to be as unpredictable as possible, with both their remakes and the release of their new titles. Patterns like this are made to be broken. I mean, depending on how many years the 3DS has left in it, we might not see Gen IV remakes until much, much later.

Assuming that a handheld series will come to the Switch is a pretty big leap as well. It's safe to assume Pokemon will move off the 3DS at some point, because it can't last forever, but who is to say they won't have a successor to the handheld lined up by then?

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I'm not really fond of patterns taking dates into consideration. It's more like a coincidence rather than pattern since GF could readily create a game and your formula wouldn't make sense at all. It also doesn't take into consideration the release of spin-offs which could probably create a dent in the pattern. We didn't get a main series game during the year of Super Mystery Dungeon (correct me if I'm wrong)

Years
  • We didn't get a main series game during the year of Super Mystery Dungeon (correct me if I'm wrong)

Ah yes, you're talking about 2015 when SMD came out in Japan (international releases were a while later, with my region having to wait until early 2016) and yes, we didn't get a main series title that year.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Ah yes, you're talking about 2015 when SMD came out in Japan (international releases were a while later, with my region having to wait until early 2016) and yes, we didn't get a main series title that year.

yep that's it. that was the year after ORAS right? then we got SuMO on 2016.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • I don't think D/P remakes makes sense at all. D/P is still playable on the 3ds. It might not take that long until we may get a new handheld device. Remember the switch is not meant to replace the 3ds. The 3ds got released in 2011. The ds lasted 7 years. The 3ds will probably still go on 2 or 3 years, but main games for the switch doesn't make sense, because it is still considered a home console and pricing and demand. Handhelds are also sold a lot more than the consoles so that is also a factor.

Years
  • Remakes of previous gens often incorporate features seen in the "third versions", so I definitely recommend this Daily article Rivvon had posted as a good way to take into account with what could happen in US/UM in terms of features.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • This pattern has been known for some time now.

I don't really buy this because the numbers are completely arbitrary. The pattern discussed in the OP is based on a realistic design philosophy with GameFreak may well be using to decide when to make remakes. There is no plausible reason why they would go out of their way to release a remake every five years.

In short, patterns for the sake of patterns are silly, and the Pokemon community is way too hung up on them. The purpose of this post was to turn people away from just expecting a remake after every new region.

pkmin3033

I think it's all pretty arbitrary personally. Game Freak are going to do whatever they want to do, and whatever they do is going to sell by the millions. Patterns are more likely to be coincidental than by design, as they strive to be as unpredictable as possible. It's all very interesting, though. But expectations of any kind are inevitably going to be both fulfilled and disappointed, as they'll get to things when they get to things.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years

I agree with your overall view on these patterns (see above). This isn't really about patterns though (maybe bad titling on my part), it's about how the Pokemon company decides when a game is ready to be remade. It's obviously speculation, but it's trying to look at realistic thought processes as opposed to clinging to arbitrary patterns. The rule suggested in the main post guarantees a non-linear remake cycle.

In the end though, I'm not saying this is definitely the case, it just makes a lot of sense.

Back