• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Return of Pokemon Riding?

Years
    The ability to ride certain Pokemon was introduced in X&Y and was much loved by many of us. With Generation 7 on the horizon, would you guys like to see this feature return and be expanded on? Perhaps with more Pokemon available to ride and interact with and maybe not being restricted to certain areas, for example riding an Arcanine around the region like a bike.

What do you guys think? :P

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2016
    I'd like that, features like Pokemon riding are small but add some immersion into the games' world. As unlikely as it is, it would be great if it could be expanded to include every Pokemon reasonably large enough to carry a small human, so you could use your own team for areas where it's required or helpful.

Years
    Riding Pokemon was a nice, albeit small feature in X/Y and while I would love to see it come back, I kinda feel that it's going to be unlikely at the same time since Game Freak do love to give each region a "unique" feature that no other region has present.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    I didn't enjoy the way Pokémon riding in XY, mainly the map you were riding around in was really dull. If there are no trainers, I'm going to be pretty bored, so put some more effort into the area around me or do something to draw my attention away from the fact that I'm basically holding the walk buttons for 20 uninterrupted minutes.

Riding something like a Stantler, as ScoSap mentioned, through a really cool/well-designed forest might be fun. Also make it walk faster than Rhyhorn did ffs

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Mamoswine and Rhyhorn were painful to ride, particularly the rock hard Rhyhorn. (Pun not intended) The problem is they walk slow and this hasty person right here is not a fan of slow paced things.

The Skiddo ride on the other hand, I really love it!

Years
    XY Needed a Gogoat Race.

In X/Y, on Route 22 there was actually a Rhyhorn racing track. It makes me believe if Rhyhorn racing was something originally planned for the game and got scrapped during production, which is definitely intriguing when you consider the X/Y protagonist's mother to be a retired Rhyhorn racer.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    That could've just been a decoration to make the world feel richer. It also helps explain why you have a Rhyhorn at home, and why the player can easily ride one themselves.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Unlike most random really cool features I don't think this'll be limited to XY. Given that these games could potentially be a sequel and could potentially be close by geographically, it's not too much of a stretch to assume that certain features, like Pokemon riding (that aren't specifically because of France) will make an appearance. There's no reason to scrap it either (and on another note the following feature could make a return but........) because we can surf, we can fly on mons, so why not properly ride on 'em? :) We need more than just the Pokemon available in-game imo.

Skiddo was the best though legit.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Followers are possible, it just needs to be a big priority since you need map-view models of every pokemon other than the handful that were in the previous games and time to make sure it doesn't break any scripts or the pokemon don't clip through parts of the map.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2017
    Does anybody remember when a limited species of Pokemon could follow you in the Amity Square in Gen IV? Then, Game Freak expanded that feature in the Gen II remakes to which all of the Pokemon could follow you, which was similar to Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow.

I don't think ORAS had any Pokemon to ride on; although, I would think that it would be a possibility to ride on any Pokemon in Sun & Moon. As much I would love to ride on a Haxorus, I don't think the feature would be expanded on, since it seems that the feature would be too much work for Game Freak.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I don't get the deal with the riding Pokemon. It's cool, but I didn't used it and I wasn't excited about it. It come back, cool. It don't, okay.

Years
    As much I would love to ride on a Haxorus, I don't think the feature would be expanded on, since it seems that the feature would be too much work for Game Freak.

I agree with this part. It's probably also why walking Pokemon that follow you outside the Poke Ball seem unlikely to return as well, though that's because I factor both the 3D and the fact it would be too hard to make individual overworld models for every Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2017
    I hope they make it like an alternative to the bike, and make it like an HM that only fast pokemon can learn, so you are not that slow. The flying on Latios and Latias was really amazing aswell, I hope they return that, so instead of just seeing the flying animation, you can actually fly to the town yourself.

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
    Years
    It's definitely a possibility.
    Game Freak are known for testing features that they'll implement on a bigger scale in the next games. An example of this is following Pokemon. In DPP, it was restricted to a small area and then we got following Pokemon in HGSS.

Because of this, I wouldn't be surprised if riding Pokemon was something you could use anywhere on the map in S&M and using your own Pokemon (with a bigger selection of Pokemon, obviously).

I'm also hoping we'll finally get to see every Pokemon when using Surf since Game Freak experimented with that a bit in XY and ORAS. Maybe other HMs too!

Years
    I think it would be pretty cool if they brought back the thing from SS/HG--When the first Pokemon in your party follows behind you. ;v; Probably wouldn't translate well, seeing as this is 3D now and not 2D sprites. But for some reason I just really loved that whole idea.

Keeby7

Some Donkus
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    It'd be cool if there were a surfing tournament, with certain pokemon models making the cut. Return of surfing pikachu?

Back