• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Role Model Challenge

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2023
    The Role Model Challenge

Everyone has someone they look up to for inspiration, someone they idolize and try to emulate. It is my belief that this holds true for Pokémon as well! Every Pokémon has another pokémon that they want to be when they grow up, despite the fact that they may have very little in common with them. Who are we to stop them from meeting their role model?

The Basic Premise
    Choose a Pokémon, or have another challenger choose one for you, to be the first member of your team. This Pokémon is your Role Model. The remainder of your team will consist of Pokémon that share at least one attribute with your role model. To keep things interesting, your team is restricted to one Pokémon assigned to each attribute.

For Example, your team may look something like:
    -Role Model
    -One Pokémon with the same height as your role model
    -One Pokémon with the same weight as your role model
    -One Pokémon that is able to learn the same ability as your role model
    -One Pokémon in the same Egg Group as your role model

List of Eligible Attributes

(Each attribute links to a list of Pokémon sorted by that attribute.)

- Type
    - Color
    - Ability
    - Height
    - Weight (within 5 kg)
    - Egg Group
    - Species

-In regards to Ability, the pokémon just has to be able to learn one of the abilities, it doesn't necessarily have to have the ability. Hidden abilities don't count.

-In regards to Species, only one member of the evolutionary line needs to share the species of the role model. For example, if you're role model was Crobat, Swoobat would be eligible because, despite it itself being the Courting Pokémon, Woobat shares the species of Bat Pokémon with Crobat.

-If you can make the case for an attribute that I haven't listed here, I will consider including it.

Restrictions and Regulations

-All of your Team members must occur naturally in the game you are playing

-Your team must consist of a minimum of 4 Pokémon (including your role model).

-Your team may only include one Pokémon who shares the elemental type of your Role Model. If your Role Model is dual-typed, one Pokémon of each type is permitted. This is not the place to cross-post your Monotype run.

-If a Pokémon shares more than one attribute with your Role Model, it still only occupies one "attribute slot". For example, if your Role Model is Hitmonchan, and the second member of your team is Jynx, who shares both its height and its egg group with Himonchan, you can name Jynx your "Same Height" team member and still introduce a seperate "Same Egg Group" team member, or vice versa.

-You can use Pokémon earlier in the same evolutionary family than the one you intend to be your team member, as long as you evolve it as soon as possible

General Rules

-While I encourage you to use main series games, as they are what I'm most familiar with, ROM hacks will be permitted.

-Your challenge is complete when you enter the Hall of Fame for the first time WITH THE EXCEPTION OF Johto games, where you challenge is complete when you enter the Hall of Fame for the first time AFTER receiving all 16 badges.

-Hacking/Trading is ONLY PERMITTED IF:

-The first member you intend to use on your team is not available until after the second gym. You may then hack in or trade in an egg of ONE member of your team at Lv.5. This rule EXCLUDES your Role Model

-Your Role Model is not obtainable before you receive the National Pokédex. You may then hack in or trade in your Role Model after the fifth gym at a Level no higher than 25

-An evolution requires it

-Legendary Pokémon with a Base Stat Total of 580 or less are permitted on your team, but only after the seventh badge. This includes all of the trios (but not their masters) plus Thundurus or Tornadus. Only one legendary per team.

Ultimates

There will be two different varieties of Ultimate Challenges for the challenge:

The True Ultimate Challenge, in which you complete the challenge in one game from each generation with the same Role Model.

The One-In-Each Ultimate Challenge, in which you complete the challenge in one game from each generation with a different Role Model for each game

For each version, feel free to do the games in whichever order you want.

Sign-Up and Champions

Game(s):
    Role Model: (either name a Pokémon or ask the next person to choose for you)
    Ultimate?: Y/N, Which variety

My Sign Up:

Game: Leaf Green for now, I'll figure out the rest later
    Role Model: Quagsire
    Ultimate: Y, True Ultimate

Champions:
    Spoiler:

Ultimate Champions:
    Spoiler:

Please don't hesitate to post or PM me any questions you might have about the challenge. Have fun!

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Hey, this is cool! I'll give it a go!

Couple questions: Why can't we have a full team of 6? does the Ultimate have to be done in order by region? y no beat Red?

Game: Fire Red Omega, Sacred Gold, Expert Emerald, Bloody Platinum, Blaze Black
    Role Model: Nidoking
    Ultimate: yes, True

lol, I'm going for all those upgraded game hacks I can find

Edit: changed signup

Last edited:

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2023
    ...I don't really know why I picked 5. That's mostly a personal preference. I did this right when I woke up this morning and perhaps wasn't thinking too straight. Imma change that, go for a team of 6 if you want.

Do the games in whatever order you so choose.

Now, I decided to not make people do Red because I know I'm not entirely alone in not being a big fan of doing that last bit of grinding to be able to down him. If you wanna beat him, go for it, but Imma not require it for completion.

And thanks for joining! Good luck!

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2014
    Sounds like fun.

Game(s): Storm Silver, Pitch Black
    Role Model: Gardevoir
    Ultimate?: N

EDIT: Starting with Storm Silver.
    NB: I will be using Gardevoir (obviously), Magmortar (same height), Dusknoir (same egg group), Xatu (same Ability), Absol (same color) and Slowking (same Type).

EDIT: Changed Blaze Black to Pitch Black.

NB: All the notes I had for this challenge have mysteriously disappeared, so I will briefly explain what I've done so far.
    Currently in the Slowpoke Well with 5 badges and recently stopped some mysterious plot by Team Rocket to do with the Safari Zone. I had help from 5 Sinnoh region Trainers: Mira, Buck, Cheryl, Marley and Riley. I also managed to beat the 2% odds on Routes 40/41 and caught a Phione. My current team (I restarted by the way) is Glaceon (nicknamed Shirayuki), Gardevoir (nicknamed Angewomon), Feraligatr and Staraptor. I will be updating sometime soon and hopefully my notes won't disappear on me again.

Last edited:

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2023
    Sounds like fun.
    NB: I will be using Gardevoir (obviously), Magmortar (same height), Dusknoir (same egg group), Xatu (same Ability), Absol (same color) and Slowking (same Type).

Hi, sorry I hadn't noticed your update until now, but I notice you plan to use two members that share the Psychic type with your Role Model (Xatu and Slowking). One of the rules is that you're only permitted to have one other Pokmon that share a type with your role model. Hopefully you haven't made it too far and can still change your team around a bit, or I won't be able to count the challenge. Sorry :S.

Here's my first update:

FireRed Update #1

Name:Huggs
    Rival: Muggs
    Starter: Botticelli the Squirtle (a Renaissance artist without a Ninja Turtle named after him : P)
    Role Model: Quagsire

-Nothing super exciting happened at the beginning. Botticelli took out Brock and Misty with no issue. Botticelli will be around for a while, but he's not a permanent team member, even though he could fill a couple slots. We'll call him our Color slot for now.
    -Caught Mesmer the Drowzee on the route east of Vermillion. She'll fill our Weight slot.
    -Trained Mesmer up using the trainers on the route she was caught on and the ones on the SS Anne
    -Mesmer reached Lv. 26 during a battle in the Vermillion Gym, after which she evolved into a Hypno
    -Mesmer took out Lt. Surge on her own with little issue, just needed one Super Potion
    -Got to the route west of Lavender on which I caught Tywin the Growlithe, who'll fill the Egg Group slot.
    -Got to Celdaon, grabbed the Tea, took a stroll over to Saffron, beat up the Dojo, and got the next member of the team, Eddard the Hitmonchan (our Height slot)!
    -Tywin and Mesmer made short work of Erika

Team Quagsire:

The Role Model Challenge

Color: Botticelli the Wartortle ♂, Lv.32
    Ability: Torrent
    -Bite
    -Protect
    -Mega Punch
    -Water Gun

The Role Model Challenge

Weight: Mesmer the Hypno ♀, Lv.36
    Ability: Insomnia
    -Return
    -Hypnosis
    -Meditate
    -Psychic

The Role Model Challenge

Egg Group: Tywin the Growlithe ♂, Lv.24
    Ability: Intimidate
    -Bite
    -Odor Slueth
    -Leer
    -Ember

The Role Model Challenge

Height: Eddard the Hitmonchan ♂, Lv.25
    Ability: Intimidate
    -Comet Punch
    -Agility
    -Pursuit
    -Mach Punch

HM Slaves:
    CH'DING the Farfetch'd: Cut
    Voltorb: Flash​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    Game(s): Crystal
    Role Model: Typhlosion

My plan:

Cyndaquil will be my starter obviously.
    First pokemon I'll catch is Wooper who evolves into Quagsire (75.0kg vs Typhlosion's 79.5kg)
    My third pokemon will either be Pichu or Elekid (Yellow Pokedex color) if the Daycare center cooperates. If not then I'll catch a Mareep who evolves into Ampharos (Yellow as well)
    My fourth pokemon will be Eevee who I will evolve into Umbreon (Field Egg Group)
    Then I'll wait a while and get Piloswine (Field Egg Group, if it is allowed to double up Egg Groups, if not then I'll won't go with him and roll 5 pokemon deep)
    Finally I'll catch a Skarmory who is the same height as Typhlosion.

Yes, I will be going with 4 pokemon for 7 badges, which should be interesting :)

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2023
    Hey, thanks for signing up! The rules restrict you to one pokemon assigned to each attribute, meaning you should only have one Egg Group pokemon. Hopefully this doesn't inconvenience you too much. Thanks again and have fun!

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    The only other pokemon with the same ability as Typhlosion that I can catch before I beat the E4 is Vulpix and Growlithe and neither of those interest me, so I'll roll with 5 and a HM Slave

bctincher15

blue eye + brown eye =awesome
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    The only other pokemon with the same ability as Typhlosion that I can catch before I beat the E4 is Vulpix and Growlithe and neither of those interest me, so I'll roll with 5 and a HM Slave

Crystal doesn't have abilities and even if it did, Vulpix/Growlithe have Flash Fire, not Blaze, sorry to get in your business, I just thought you should know.

Anyways, I want to try this, it looks fun.
    Game(s): BlazeBlack
    Role Model: Emboar

My team will probably be Emboar(Role Model)
    Bisharp(Same Height)
    Braviary(Same Color)
    Lucario(Same Type)
    Walrein(150.6kg weight compared to Emboar's 150.0kg)
    Leafeon(Same Egg Group)

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    After Defeating Morty, here is my update.

Quilava evolved before I faced Falkner. I ran through Falkner then ground until Wooper hit level 15 then worked my way to Azelea and beat Bugsy with my L20 Quilava. Went to see what egg I would get and ended up with a Smoochum. To the CPU with you, since you don't match Typhlosion. I went down caught a Drowzee and decided he'd be my color match. Ground until he hit L20, and then beat Whitney with a L22 Quilava. So far I wouldn't need any other Pokemon, to defeat a gym leader, but I was nice to have one. I went back down to catch a Ditto so I could breed Bill's Eevee, bred him, raised him to L14 then walked. And I walked some more. I I walked even further. Finally I decided I had walked enough and I raised him to L15 and he evolved into Umbreon. I trained Umbreon to L22, used him to defeat the ghost trainers before Morty and then Quilava and Drowzee took care of Morty. Sorry Morty, no legendary Pokemon for you.

MY TEAM:
    Spoiler:

ScaryDodge

Something
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2017
    Username: ScaryDodge
    Game: Blue-> Crystal -> Emerald -> Platinum -> Black
    Role Model: Raichu

True Ultimate

Pokémon Blue Update:
    -Choose Charmander
    -Catch Pikachu
    -Release Charmander
    -I win vs Brock and i earned my first badge

Current Team:
    Role Model (Pikachu) Lv:20

True Ultimate

Pokémon Blue Update:
    -Catch Sandshrew because is the same Specie of raichu
    -Evolve Sandshrew into Sandslash
    -I win vs Misty and i earned my second badge

Current Team:
    Role Model (Pikachu) Lv:26
    Specie (Sandslash) Lv:24

Last edited:

ScaryDodge

Something
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2017
    True Ultimate

Pokémon Blue Update:
    -I win vs Lt.Surge and i earned my 3rd badge
    -Get One Eevee
    -Eevee Envolve into Vaporeon
    -I win vs Erika and i earned my 4th badge

Current Team:
    Role Model (Pikachu) Lv:37
    Specie (Sandslash) Lv:36
    Weight (Vaporeon) Lv:35

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    Finished my challenge, but I don't have enough posts to put links into my posts.... I would offer screenshots if I could.

Typhlosion L55, Role Model
    Ember, Swift, Flame Wheel, Quick Attack

Skarmory L55, Height
    Steel Wing, Fly, Peck, Swift

Umbreon L55, Egg Group
    Pursuit, Moonlight, Faint Attack, Quick Attack

Quagsire L56, Weight
    Slam, Surf, Strength, Earthquake

Hypno L56, Color
    Psychic, Headbutt, Hypnosis, Confusion

bctincher15

blue eye + brown eye =awesome
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    I finished my challenge as well, I beat Alder, and he was tough with a team of five level 95's and a level 100.:P

Sorry I can't post screenshots 'cause I played this from my R4.

My final team:
    Emboar(Role Model)
    Lv. 98
    Earthquake, Flare Blitz, Head Smash, Brick Break

Bisharp(Same Height)
    Lv.97
    Night Slash, Iron Head, Iron Defense, Swords Dance

Braviary(Same Color)
    Lv.98
    Superpower, Crush Claw, Brave Bird, Sky Drop

Lucario(Same Type)
    Lv.98
    Extremespeed, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Close Combat

Walrein(150.6kg weight compared to Emboar's 150.0kg)
    Lv.100
    Blizzard, Hail, Rest, Snore

Leafeon(Same Egg Group)
    Lv.98
    Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Synthesis, Last Resort

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Start of Ultimate Role Model Challenge!

Game: Fire Red Omega, Sacred Gold, Expert Emerald, Bloody Platinum, Blaze Black
    Role Model: Nidoking
    Started FireRed Omega a few days ago. Here's my planned team (besides Nidoking of course):
    Jynx (same height)
    Ampharos (weight difference of 0.5 kg)
    Flygon (ground-type)
    Gengar (poison-type)
    Aerodactyl (purple color).

and without further ado...

Update #1 on FireRed Omega.

Name: Royal
    Starter: Smoochum
    Rival: Blue

• Started out by beating Blue's Magby with High Queen the Smoochum thanks to a crit Pound and Oran Berry activation.
    • Did the Pokedex quest, which becomes the National Dex right away.
    • Caught KING! the Nidoran♂ on Route 1 and Chubby the Mareep in Viridian City.
    • After training in the forest, I backtracked to Rt 22 to beat Blue again with High Queen and Chubby,
    • Continued on to Pewter City, took on Brock, and lost miserably.
    • Grinded in the grass in the city, and KING! evolved into Nidorino!
    • Beat Brock this time mostly with KING!'s Double Kick.
    • On the way to Mt. Moon, Chubby evolved into Flaaffy!
    • Went through Mt. Moon without much difficulty, and we arrived in Cerulean City.
    • Beat Blue again, this time with a team effort.
    • While battling the Nugget Bridge, I used a Moon Stone to evolve KING! into Nidoking!
    • Just before reaching Bill's house, High Queen evolved into Jynx! (L24 in this hack)
    • Saved Bill and got the S.S. Ticket, then we were off to take on Misty.
    • Misty took a few tries because Starmie kept parafusing everyone. Eventually Chubby was able to finish it with ThunderPunch.
    • Made my way down to Vermilion City and beat up the trainers on Route 11, then went to go crash the S.S. Anne party.
    • After realizing the party was over, I beat all the trainers and defeated Blue very easily, mostly with High Queen.
    • Got Cut and entered the Vermilion Gym.
    • Surge was not hard at all thanks to KING! and his Dig attack.
    • Cut the bush east of Cerulean after getting the Bike, and soon after, Chubby evolved into Ampharos!
    • Went through Rock Tunnel (no Flash required yay!) with no hassle.
    • Reached Lavender Town and went straight to Celadon City.
    • Grabbed the Fly HM, then used it to Fly back to Vermilion City and Route 11, where I caught Dusty the Trapinch.
    • Started training him up on some trainers I skipped on Route 8.
    • Entered the Rocket Hideout, and while beating up Team Rocket, Dusty evolved into Vibrava!
    • Then I beat Giovanni with KING!'s Brick Break and Dig.
    • Back in Lavendar Town, I beat Blue again mostly with Chubby, then scaled the Pokemon Tower.
    • Before I saved Mr. Fuji, I caught my fifth team member, Hazard the Gastly.
    • One level later (L30), Hazard evolved into Haunter!
    • Went back to Celedon and woke up Snolax so I could get the Amulet Coin.
    • Took on the Celedon Gym, and Chubby beat Erika thanks to Tail Glow and Fire Punch.
    • I am saved on Route 12, heading to Fuchsia City.
    Screens:
    Spoiler:

Note on move changes:
    Hypnosis has 70 accuracy and Dig has 80 power.

Team Royal:
    The Role Model Challenge

Hazard the Lax Haunter, ♂ - L35 @ Amulet Coin
    Ability: Levitate
    Moves: Thunderbolt, Hypnosis, Night Shade, Dream Eater
    The Role Model Challenge

Dusty the Hardy Vibrava, ♂ - L38 @ BlackGlasses
    Ability: Levitate
    Moves: Secret Power, DragonBreath, Dig, Crunch
    The Role Model Challenge

KING! the Naive Nidoking, ♂ - L38
    Ability: Poison Point