• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Roo Region

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
  • ¡Welcome to Roo!

(If anyone out there has a good grasp of how to use code to make these threads look pretty, please let me know so we can figure it out. If you think this thread looks good as is, please comment with the hashtag #noncoderooisbae to show support for the code-illiterate of the PokéCommunity).

Introduction:
    Located to the west of the the desolate Qerrasa Region, and isolated from other regions by the Northern Marches and the ocean to the east and south, the Roo Region is a relatively impoverished and backwards land. Recently, the government of Roo have opened the borders of the land to outsiders who in the past would have only come to Roo illegally, as poachers, researchers, or refugees.

Two main immigration waves to the Roo Region are reported in history, and are the source of the two main ethnic groups in the region: the Iberics and the Balkans. The Iberics were a minority in the Qerrassa Region who were driven out of the peninsula periodically during the three Qerrasan Wars. The Balkans, on the other hand, ran south and through the Northern Marches in what is referred to as the Balkan Exodus. Oral tradition states that as many as seventy percent of those who braved the Marches died upon them, and that the culprit for their flight was a colossal red beast with black feathers and a cry that made people drop dead upon hearing it.​

The Roo Region

The location of Roo within the PokéCommunity according to the Universal Atlas.

Background:
    As stated above, people of Roo belong to two main ethnic groups. The Balkans are tall, hardy men with pasty skin who are prone to balding. The Iberics are shorter, lithe people of olive skin, with generally light-colored eyes and curly hair. This dichotomy has led to social struggle in the past, as ethnic differences tend to do, but an on-going process of intermarriage between the stereotypically 'northern Balkans' and 'southern Iberics' has done wonders to quell aggression between both groups, who see a kind of kindred in the other as they both came to Roo to seek refuge.

Originally, the Region of Roo was not very biologically diverse. Corsola, Slakoth, Mankey, Woobat and Tympole are amongst the most numerous of the few Pokémon lines native to the region. However, the influx of illegal researchers and poachers during the past century led to the abandonment and introduction of many foreign species to the region. Amongst them, by far the most successful Pokémon to adapt to this environment were Grass and Water-type starters, who have become abundant invasive species in the region. The most abundant of these are the Mudkip, Totodile, and Snivy lines.

Recently, the Region of Roo has opened its borders to foreign trainers as a means to keep a check on sought-after and overpopulous invasive species like the ones mentioned above. This was done under the guise of the Jade League, a world-class Pokémon battling competition intent on growing to the level of the Indigo Plateau itself. The Jade League, as of its current format, consists of a Six Gym Challenge, followed by an open challenge to the Elite Four (available to anyone with all six badges), and a yearly Jade Atoll Summit (sponsored by Crococola Light), where trainers battle each other, seeded based on their number of badges and victories over the Elite Four. The winner of the Summit is considered the Champion of Roo.​

The Roo Region

Municipal map of the Roo Region denoting cities in red and towns in blue.
    Also denoted are land routes (in white), sea routes (in blue), and the tunnel through Black Mtn. (in brown).

Geography:
    The Region of Roo can be divided into four distinct ecological regions:

(Cities A & B, and Towns 1 & 2)
    Bordered by the Northern Marches to the north, a perilous mountain range that few people dare venture into, are the Highlands in the northernmost region off what could be called de-jure Roan territory. The Highlands, as the name implies, is a mountainous and rugged terrain that end in treacherous black rock sea cliffs interrupted by small beaches in [City A] and [Town 1]. The Highlands are fairly well-forested, but very manageable in comparison to the wetter regions of the south. People in the Highlands tend to be mostly Balkan in ethnicity.

(City C and Towns 3, 4 & 5)
    The middle of the Region of Roo is dominated by a vast, nigh uncontrollable thicket of vegetation that is the rainforest. A land of constant rain, and a huge variety of plant, bug, and all other kinds of Pokémon, this region, known as the Midlands is the most sparsely populated region of Roo. Routes here tend to be overgrown within a matter of weeks by the voracious plantlife, which forces Pokémon Rangers to be in constant maintenance of the roads in order to maintain them safe and visible. People here tend to be almost exclusively Iberic in ethnicity.

(Cities D & E and Towns 6 & 7)
    The southernmost part of the Roo peninsula is known as the Lowlands, or the Wetlands. The low-lying land here is subject to constant flooding, and is dominated by a vast network of marshes, swamps and mangroves. The Lowlands are, by far, the most perilous area of Roo to transverse as roads tend to be flooded and the sky drowned out by the dense vegetation overhead, meaning that compasses are a must if one doesn't wish to get lost and end up as Croconaw chow. The Lowlands are, however, Roo's link to the outside world, which makes it by far the most populated area of the region.

(City F and Town 8)
    Lastly, the island of Quintana (pronounced Kin-TA-na), is a large mound of land that sits over a Corsola reef. The island is the location of the most densely populated city and capital of the region, Quintana City (City F). There is very scarce vegetation here, unlike in the rest of the region, and fruits and vegetables have to be imported from the Midlands. Quintana is a constant target to hurricanes, and tropical storms, but people have learned to live through the rainy seasons there. Also, the island of Quintana is home to Pinkport, a small fishing village and site of the annual Jade Atoll Summit.​

Local Wildlife:

The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region

The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region

The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region

The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region

The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region

The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region

The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region

The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region

The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region
    The Roo Region

The Roo Region
    The Roo Region

How to Enter the Jade League:
    NOTICE: DUE TO TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES WITH THE SYSTEM, WE ARE CURRENTLY NOT ACCEPTING ANY APPLICATIONS FOR TRAINER LICENSES, WHETHER LOCAL OR FOREIGN. ON BEHALF OF THE JADE LEAGUE AND THE POKÉMON LEAGUE WE OFFER OUR DEEPEST APOLOGIES, AND WILL STRIVE TO RECTIFY THIS SITUATION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

In order to participate in the Jade League's Pokémon Gym Challenge, one must first obtain a Pokémon Trainer Card within the Region of Roo, for which there are two distinct processes depending on your place of origin. If local, you must pass the Pokémon Trainer Test at a local Pokémon Center, and provide your birth certificate as well as a recommendation by an experienced Pokémon trainer over the age of twenty four. If foreign, you must first obtain a Pokémon Training Visa by filling out the application found in our website at: (https://jadeatollsummit.com.roo/f_trainers/visa_application.pdf). The form must be filled out by hand, signed, notarized, and must include an up-to-date picture of you, as well as a fingerprint.
    Please note that while foreign trainers are allowed to bring in foreign (non-native) Pokémon (please consult our official list of Pokémon considered native at: https://jadeatollsummit.com.roo/jade_league/pokedex.html; aka, see above), they must be tagged with a GPS device within one day of your arrival and any attempt to release, mate, or otherwise introduce said Pokémon into the wild will be considered a felony, and will result in legal action taken by the Government of Roo and the Jade League against any involved individuals. Furthermore, foreign trainers are strongly discouraged from importing a Dark-type Pokémon as their starter, and anyone seeking to import one for any reason will have to fill out a second application at: (https://jadeatollsummit.com.roo/f_trainers/faq/dark_special_permit.pdf).​

More to Come...:
    • Comprehensive list of cities, towns, and landmarks.
    • Gym Leader and Elite Four applications.
    • Periodic lore, news, and trivia articles.
    • Open Pokémon trainer applications.
    • A Politics section?
    • Open Politician applications?
    • Zoological report on Roan Pokémon (what nichés and environments Pokémon fulfill and may have taken over from the original or replaced native wildlife).

Last edited:

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
  • The Roan Review
    (This will be a bulletin board sort of place where I will be posting current events and such.)​
    As you may have notice by the bold, red, all-caps'd text in the opening post, I don't really want to accept any trainer applications as of yet. For now I'm interested in listening to any suggestions or feedback you might have regarding the following:
    • General "anything" about Roo.
    • The Poké Dex (too many starter Pokémon, not enough Normal-types, should I reserve some spots for potential fakemon?, etc).
    • Aesthetically pleasing OP?
    • What do you like about the other regions, what do you not like, and what would you like to see incorporated here?

I look forward to hearing what you think! :)​

_________________________________________________________​

EDIT 1: Switched around the Poké Dex order.

Furthermore, changed the list of native Pokémon to include:
    the
    The Roo Region
    Surskit,
    The Roo Region
    Larvesta,
    The Roo Region
    Meowth,
    The Roo Region
    Tropius,
    The Roo Region
    Stunfisk,
    The Roo Region
    Spinarak, and
    The Roo Region
    Joltik lines,
    which will replace the
    The Roo Region
    Ralts,
    The Roo Region
    Chansey,
    The Roo Region
    Beldum, and
    The Roo Region
    Archen lines.​

Last edited:
    Years
  • Your OP is ascetically pleasing. Sometimes simple is better. It doesn't necessarily need all the whiz-bang! of css, but if you want there are some simple things you can do.

If you want to add something to the background of your posts you can do things like adding code to the beginning and end of each post. Like this:
    [div="background-color: #f0ebd3; width: 800px; border-radius: 35px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 15px; padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px;"]

---content of post goes here---

[/div]​
    Or you could add a background image:
    [div="background-color: #f2f2e2; background-image:url('https://www.something.com/something.jpg');"]

---content of post goes here---

[/div]​
    But I'm not super good at this css stuff so you might want to get someone else's help. You can also look {here} for css stuff.

The way you've included ideas like overpopulation and poaching and the general severity of the environments you describe (very different from the safe depictions you see in the Pokemon anime, for instance) are what seem most distinctive about your region. A lot like the real world when it comes to the environment.

As for your dex, it's not got the kind of type-balance you see in the games (only one Electric line, no Ice-types) but that isn't necessarily a bad thing if you want to introduce certain Pokemon and have them be special/unique/rare or only available under certain circumstances. The fact that you've got a bunch of starter Pokemon seems like you're going for something unorthodox so as long as you're happy with it I can't see a problem. Well, I mean, if you wanted to let people sign up as gym leaders or whatever and restricted them to the dex you might then have to further bend the rules established in the games and have multi-type gyms. In a way it's more "realistic" not to have a well-balanced pool of Pokemon though.

So, yeah, overall you seem to prefer something that's focused one (or at least incorporates) ideas of ecology and habitat and I rather like that.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
  • Woot woot! A reply! Thanks for showing interest in Roo! ^^

The way you've included ideas like overpopulation and poaching and the general severity of the environments you describe (very different from the safe depictions you see in the Pokemon anime, for instance) are what seem most distinctive about your region. A lot like the real world when it comes to the environment.
    I used to be a biology major back in uni, so I definitely have an interest in the subjects of overpopulation, and more specifically, overly successful invasive species, and it was something I wanted to explore. In my head canon for this region, common predators like Persian (in the hilly Highlands, and Liepard (in the jungle and swamp areas), were eventually displaced in replaced by successful invasive Pokémon such as Charmeleon and Croconaw respectively.

As for your dex, it's not got the kind of type-balance you see in the games (only one Electric line, no Ice-types) but that isn't necessarily a bad thing if you want to introduce certain Pokemon and have them be special/unique/rare or only available under certain circumstances. The fact that you've got a bunch of starter Pokemon seems like you're going for something unorthodox so as long as you're happy with it I can't see a problem. Well, I mean, if you wanted to let people sign up as gym leaders or whatever and restricted them to the dex you might then have to further bend the rules established in the games and have multi-type gyms. In a way it's more "realistic" not to have a well-balanced pool of Pokemon though.

So, yeah, overall you seem to prefer something that's focused one (or at least incorporates) ideas of ecology and habitat and I rather like that.
    Yes, I wanted to make a region that was mostly a low-lying jungle environment, and that very premise pretty much ruled out tall-enough areas for Ice-type Pokémon to thrive in. I really wanted to focus on, what kind of Pokémon would thrive in a jungle, which became a slew of Grass and Water-type starters, as well as Tepig and Chimchar, and then included some Pokémon who might thrive in the hilly forests to the north, such as the Pikachu line, the Geodude line, Charmander, etc.

I also noticed that my Poké Dex only includes one (part) Dark-type Pokémon (Tyranitar). I liked the idea of keeping him there, because it might illustrate that Dark-type Pokémon were at one point common in Roo, but became replaced by invasive species (such as Liepard), and I've included the bit about the League not wanting to re-introduce them to the environment because (again, in my head canon) many Psychic-types are endangered, such as the Reuniclus, Abra, and Ralts lines.

As for Gym-types, I am playing around with the idea of multi-type Gyms, I guess my main struggle at this point is that types such as Ice, Dark, and maybe Electric are probably not going to see their own Gym (multi or not).

Back