• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Simple Guidelines of Comic Creation

Years
    Seeing as these aren't written down anywhere on this forum, I feel I should post the ones I know of.
    Due to the immense of pokemon comics here, I will adapt them to a pokemon comic.

Never Mix Styles or Bittages:
    When you start planning to make a comic, find a style, and STICK WITH IT, if you have a D/P style comic, keep in that style, throwing in a FR/LG styled sprite will look more out of place then an eskimo in a desert.
    Also don't use a mysterious dungeon style sprites for an overworld battle type thing, they look out of place.
    Mixing bittages isn't a good idea either, it just looks wrong.

Never break The Fourth Wall:
    A common happening in comics is the breaking for the forth wall, this wall is when someone/something mentions the world outside the comic. This for example is a breaking of the fourth wall: https://www.no4thwall.com/archive_page.php?id=15
    The line 'I didn't like her character' suspends the belief that this is going on, it breaks the fourth wall.
    Games also break the fourth wall, Final fantasy has done it ( https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Jacole5.jpg ) Games like Zelda also have, for example. When a character says 'press the A button to do _____' that breaks the fourth wall, because if someone came up to you in real life and said ' PRESS R TO DO A BARREL ROLL' you wouldn't understand it.
    So mentioning the exsistance of a pokemon game in a comic is breaking the fourth wall, also mentioning the author does this.

JUST DON'T!

3. Get your own Jokes.
    If you aim to make your comic funny, don't use other jokes from other comics, this is STEALING! and it isn't very nice. Always try to think of your own jokes, this will make your comic unique, and hopefully succsessful. It also helps if the jokes are funny.

4. Grammar!
    Always check your grammar, one or two mistakes won't kill you, but if your grammar sucks, write a script into MS word and use spell check, this will help considerably.
    Also don't use internet phrases like 'WTF' or 'OMG' in a comic this is stupid and just shows your a lazy comic maker, that can't be bothered to type it, although if you don't have the space, just try and find another word.

5. Speech Bubbles
    Speech Bubbles are essential, not text under panels, this isn't how comics are supposed to be made. I'd love to see a marvel comic with a box underneath a panel saying 'SPIDERMAN: I need to save those school children'
    Speech bubbles don't get in the way, they are your friends!
    Also, make sure it is clear who is talking when you are using speech bubbles. This isn't easy with pokemon sprites but try to make it look like their mouths are open, this makes it clear who is talking.

Some smaller Pointers:

Get a good plot.
    Get a good original title.
    Save your comic as a PNG, or if you can't use Image shack (www.imageshack.us) to upload the BMP, Image Shack converts BMP's to PNGs
    Avoid making stereotypical characters (applies more to non-pokemon comics) for example, Link is usually made into a not so clever character, this has become a cliche.
    Don't make recolours, and if you do for some strange reason, at least make them easy on the eyes.
    Get good backgrounds from a good website, blinding paint made backgrounds are NO GOOD.

These aren't neccesarily things that make a good comic, these just help a comic on its path to succsess.
    Hopefully, this will help any new/ or amatuer comic maker on his path to comic holiness or something.

I don't care what happens to this thread, weather its stickied or dies, I just though it might help.

ALSO:
    This guide is another way to help you make comics, despite being for megaman comics, it should help you : https://www.fragile-minds.com/crashnbass/donts.html

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I'd prefer it if these were called guidelines, rather than rules.

People should feel free to make their comic however they wish, no matter how good or bad it turns out to be. All we can do is attempt to guide them to turn their work into something better.

And aren't you're rules just paraphrases of the ones in that link (which I love how they are written out in)

Years
    I'd prefer it if these were called guidelines, rather than rules.

People should feel free to make their comic however they wish, no matter how good or bad it turns out to be. All we can do is attempt to guide them to turn their work into something better.

And aren't you're rules just paraphrases of the ones in that link (which I love how they are written out in)

I did re-phrase the title, but for some reason my PC crashed, but luckily I had backed the main thing up, but I forgot to change the title.
    I'd appreciate it if Shiharu or FG changed the Title to : 'The Simple Guidelines of Comic Creation'

No, I found that after I had written it, but i did edit some of the guidelines with some stuff from there, which is why you may think that.

Back