• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] The "Spectre" Problem

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2023
    While looking over the disassembled code for the Gen I games in preparation to practice my assembly skills, I came across this, which apparently states that the most likely reason for the Red/Green trades being used for the international versions instead of the Blue trades (the source of translation errors) is a goof done during localization involving in-game trades. If I assemble the games with the linked-to code as is, would Haunter evolve to Gengar if I were to alter the in-game trades to the Blue trades?

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2020
    This code is a bit confusing! Why does Graveler only check one character but "Spectre" check the first two of its name? Wouldn't that trigger a trade on things like Gyarados or Gloom if its only looking at the first character? Also, Sp would also trigger Spearow, heh. I realize this was before the names were finalized, but...well, I guess this odd behavior is why those trades got left out? Unless I don't actually understand the routines, heh.

Fotomac

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2023
    What I'm seeking is someone who can show me how to enable the evolution of Haunter into Gengar when trading your Machoke away in the Cerulean trading house. Also, I'm sure the check only applies to in-game trades, i.e. between the player and an NPC.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2020
    I too would like to know, by chance wouldn't changing the checked name to haunter fix this and let haunter evolve on in game trade?

Fotomac

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2023
    I too would like to know, by chance wouldn't changing the checked name to haunter fix this and let haunter evolve on in game trade?

I should ask the people at Skeetendo about that. Perhaps they know if that'll work?

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2020
    It's kinda funny, both of our problems are similar in a way, you want the pokemon that SHOULD evolve to evolve when
    traded with in game npcs(I'd like that too) and I want the really annoying aspect of disobedience to be removed.

Back