• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    I don't like Mijumiru's official appearance at all. But some of the fanart I've seen of it look a lot better, so who knows.

Tsutaja doesn't look too bad officially, but the fanart has still improved it. I like the look of Pokabu, although the colour scheme could probably be improved; and I haven't seen any fanart of it yet.

Although they'll probably grow on me, like the previous ones did.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2012

That is probably one of the best evolution chains I've ever seen. Even though it's fanart. It reminds me a lot of the Treecko evolution chain, which is one of the very few chains that capture nearly every single aspect of the original Pokémon and expand upon each aspect of it. I'm really hoping that Tsutaaja's evolution chain plays out something like this. That final evolution stage is just... omg. <3

Father in heaven I hope it's last form is something like that! <33
    lol
    tsutaaja, Mijimaru, Pokabu ( I think this is the order)
    Anyways, right now I'm going with Tsutaaja. It's sort of weird because I don't usually go the grass starters ( - chikorita lol). It was the one I instantly fell in love with, I think it's cause of it's eyes. haha.

My second choice right now would probably be mijimaru..
    Cause as unappealing as I think it is, I have a feeling it'll be a nice looking pokemon later on after it evolves, plus the type mat ch ups might not be so bad either. :p

Third choice will probably be Pokabu. Don't get me wrong it's super cute atm, but I have a feeling that will change. I can see it evolving into this ugly fat boar looking thing with like mamoswine tusks(not as huge as mamoswine) and red eyes etc. rofl Not something I'd want on my team.
    But ya who knows? I could be wrong.

Last edited:

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I guess I should re-post my names here:

Tsutaja: Sneavi - (Snake - leaf - ivy) originally Leavi (Leaf -ivy) Bu tjust now, I decided to add "Sn" for "snake" as that's what it is. Also "Snea" is like "Sneaky":)

Pokabu: Flarig - (Flare - flame - pig)

Mijuramu: Tosea - (Otter - sea)

Hope you like them :)

love the names bluerang! Especially Tosea (it could work). Flarig is okay, Sneavi reminds me of Sneaville. The names really could be based off of anything. I read on bulbapedia that Piplup's name comes from 'pip' (early stages of a bird) and 'plup or plop' for the noise they make when young or hatching..something like that, and it also mentioned some greek influences, especially for Empoleon.

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    I'll continue picking Fire starter as always. SO I'll be picking Flameboar.
    Smugleaf also looks cool.
    I'm nuetral on Flotter.

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2017
    I still say the names are going to be (at some point)Leavenom, Baykin, and Wotter.

What? Wotter is a perfectly valid punny name for the English localization.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I still say the names are going to be (at some point)Leavenom, Baykin, and Wotter.

What? Wotter is a perfectly valid punny name for the English localization.

Leavenom---leafeon
    Baykin---BACON LOLWTF?!!!
    Wotter----:embarrass just....no :laugh:

Pokabu's name should stay the same and the other two should be changed.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Smugleaf, Pignition and Wotter are still the best names I've heard.

As for Pignition's evolutions, Emboar and Blazorback are the best I've seen.

ThePinkDragon

Rawrtastic!
    Years
    It'd be a hard choice between Pokabu and Mijuramu. However, I think I'd start off with Pokabu. This is mostly because I'm a sucker for pigs and anything pig-like. I'm usually all about the Grass Starter, but I guess I have a thing for round Pokèmon. :D

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    Idk if this has been posted here already, but I think this really reflects how people reacted to the B&W starters (myself included XD)
    The Starter Discussion Thread

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Likely going to be nicknaming Pokabu as Razorback (sounds awesome; a beast with razors lining its back as a formidable defense!) Really hoping that the official name for Pokabu's final evo is Pignition (Such an awesome name. The only thing is that it'll probably end up being something totally different. If Pignition had never come up as a speculation name, it probably would've had a chance... :( Unless the developers just so happen to be searching around on the forums for ideas and end up using Pignition as an actual name...that would be so awesome. Argh...that's the thing about speculation...winds up being something totally different at times. Well, who knows, only time can tell!

I would also be pleased if Tsutaaja was kept during translation. It's so fun to say and looks cool as well!

The only quibble I have with nicknaming Pokabu as Razorback is that I already have the name Razor set for my Sceptile, so seeing "Go! RAZOR and RAZORBACK!" in battle will seem kind of repetitive with the "Razor" part. I was considering lengthening Sceptile's nickname to RazorBlade but that seems to wreck it a bit... Ehh...simply having the name Razor alone exudes more of a threat, IMO. I don't know, simply adding 'blade' to the name makes the whole nickname seem less creative/stylish...wonder why the name "Leaf Blade" doesn't bother me at all...?

And I hope someone in an anime one day has Mijumaru as their name (really fun to say as well! Only reason I don't want it as the Gen V Water Starter's name is because I see the -maru suffix way too many times in anime these days.)

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Smugleaf, Pignition and Wotter are still the best names I've heard.

As for Pignition's evolutions, Emboar and Blazorback are the best I've seen.

Smugleaf wouldn't work though, remember Smeargle? Pignition....ummm, too awkward to be a starter name IMO. Wotter is the best, but remember Wooper?

The names of the starters have to be cute, so I don't think nintendo would use these names. We could wind up with anything after all, there is no telling what the evos of the 3 are and names could be based off of the forms of their final evolutions.

It'd be a hard choice between Pokabu and Mijuramu. However, I think I'd start off with Pokabu. This is mostly because I'm a sucker for pigs and anything pig-like. I'm usually all about the Grass Starter, but I guess I have a thing for round Pokèmon. :D

FINALLY somebody who actually LIKES Mijumaru and will possibly pick it not because of sympathy but because it's cute and will probably be really strong when it evolves. People seem to forget the water starters are usually great choices and can beat most other types single-handedly. No hating on Tsutaaja (since it is cute and may be the best grass starter since Treeko) but if it evolves into grass/dragon then all it would take is to teach Mijumaru's evos ice beam and it's down for the counting. :shocked:

Last edited:

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    Idk if this has been posted here already, but I think this really reflects how people reacted to the B&W starters (myself included XD)
    The Starter Discussion Thread

I'll confess being slightly guilty to that :P

Can't beat a good reference! xD You are my favourite person of the day.

Years
    Tsutaja for sure. I just love its design. In fact, I probably won't evolve it unless its evos are really, really, really awesome.

On the other version, probably Mijumaru. But that might depend on the evos.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back