• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Chain

Yeah, I actually noticed Jaroda's hands earlier today. o.o;
    I saw lots of fanart showing Jaroda's leaf-like hands, similar to Janobii's, out in front of it. I was told though that Jaroda doesn't actually have them. I decided to investigate further earlier today and I caught a glimpse of a strange leaf on the side of Jaroda's body on it's front sprite. So, I took another look at it's back sprite and guess what?

The Starter Discussion Thread

There are two odd leaves that just happen to be together back there, like two hands crossed behind Jaroda's back. My theory is that it kept the leaf-like hands from Janobii, but never moves them unless it's necessary. The limbs are what made Tsutaaja so great, and I was majorly pissed that it supposedly lost them in final form.
    But I'm really glad now that it kept them all the way from Tsutaaja in the end, and I now officially like Jaroda. :3

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Yeah, I actually noticed Jaroda's hands earlier today. o.o;
    I saw lots of fanart showing Jaroda's leaf-like hands, similar to Janobii's, out in front of it. I was told though that Jaroda doesn't actually have them. I decided to investigate further earlier today and I caught a glimpse of a strange leaf on the side of Jaroda's body on it's front sprite. So, I took another look at it's back sprite and guess what?

There are two odd leaves that just happen to be together back there, like two hands crossed behind Jaroda's back. My theory is that it kept the leaf-like hands from Janobii, but never moves them unless it's necessary. The limbs are what made Tsutaaja so great, and I was majorly pissed that it supposedly lost them in final form.
    But I'm really glad now that it kept them all the way from Tsutaaja in the end, and I now officially like Jaroda. :3

That is so cool! :D Its front sprite makes it look like it just writhes around helplessly (making possible foe Trainers drop their guard), but those "leaves" give off the illusion that it is in a regal pose, constantly judging and anticipating its foe's next move! And when things get serious, that's when Jaroda whips out its 'leaf hands', thus startling and catching its opponent off-guard. Smugleaf ascendant, indeed! :cer_nod:

Although, the idea of Tsutarja having limbs and supposedly losing them upon its evolution into Jaroda reminded me of the Arthur episode (Episode 69: Prove It!); the time where D.W. makes her own science museum (complete with false scientific 'explanations') when Arthur refuses to take her to the local Exploratorium museum. Her explanation for why modern snakes don't have legs: they used to, but they ran so fast on them that they just fell off! (or something to that effect) :laugh: :cer_laugh: :pink_laugh: That show wasis still so funny...!

Doctor Who

Saving the earth with a bowtie
    Years
  • I never even saw that it had those hands, I think that makes it even cooler, a snake with hands xD
    I just love Tsutaja's line, especially with the snake-like final eve, you rarely see grass pokemon quite so cool.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
  • OMFHS!? really i noticed the arms a longish amount of time ago xDD
    i just thought they were obvious enough that people noticed them xDDD

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • That is cool, I thought that those leaf-hand like things were just an accessory on Jarouda. It looks really cool from the front. It isn't like Jarouda needed those tiny hands anyway. It's body and tail are so long, the tail will serve better than hands, like it can still pick thins up with the tail.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Those are hands? o___O

...okay I would have preferred if they were leaves. I don't really like the thought of them being hands, really. At least Tsutaaja's body structure actually makes sense.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • Are we sure they are actual hands? Can he move them? I guess we'll have to wait for the anime to see them, but idk, I reckon they're just leaves. If not, then they're fairly useless hands, I think. XD Not that I care either way because unlike SOME people, I happen to know snakes were once reptiles with limbs who lost said limbs over the course of a little something called EVOLUTION which for some reason some people seem to forget that it happens in Pokemon too, therefore the whole "TSUTAAJA LOST HIS ARMS!! IT'S ThE END OF THE WORLD" argument is invalid; yes, he lost them, and so what? Jaroda is epic win, period.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Yeah, I actually noticed Jaroda's hands earlier today. o.o;

I do think that those are Jaroda's hands. I thought Jaroda had no hands at all, but after seeing that sprite, those leaf-like appendages do look like arms.

The Red Chain

Are we sure they are actual hands? Can he move them? I guess we'll have to wait for the anime to see them, but idk, I reckon they're just leaves. If not, then they're fairly useless hands, I think. XD Not that I care either way because unlike SOME people, I happen to know snakes were once reptiles with limbs who lost said limbs over the course of a little something called EVOLUTION which for some reason some people seem to forget that it happens in Pokemon too, therefore the whole "TSUTAAJA LOST HIS ARMS!! IT'S ThE END OF THE WORLD" argument is invalid; yes, he lost them, and so what? Jaroda is epic win, period.
    I wouldn't say we're forgetting, I'd just say we don't like the loss of limbs. :]
    Realistic as it is, the limbs made Tsutaaja awesome, therefore recreating actual evolution made Jaroda lame to a few of us.
    I highly doubt they are just there for decoration. There are two leaves conveniently where Janobi's hands used to be, and there are no leaves anywhere else on Jaroda. Placing random leaves on a snake's upper back that are just there is rather weird, don't you think?

I still think those leaves are hands. The only way to tell for sure at this point is, as you said, through the anime. Also, I don't think they are entirely useless. If Jaroda takes it's hands out it can place them on the ground and lean forward on them, as opposed to flailing about helplessly. Real life snakes aren't arched up 24-7 like Jaroda is, therefore making Jaroda look so open to get smacked around. The hands to me could give it extra security in fist-to-face combat from a very physical opponent. It takes a moment to lash that massive of a tail to your front to smack enemies away. Gravity is no fun in situations like that.

Pokemon has logic too. [not really]

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
  • I've got Pokabu in White and Mijumaru in Black, then I got two Tsutarja from GTS.
    Then I used them in both games until the completion of the game...then I went back with only my starter (only in Black now).

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022

I wouldn't say we're forgetting, I'd just say we don't like the loss of limbs. :]
    Realistic as it is, the limbs made Tsutaaja awesome, therefore recreating actual evolution made Jaroda lame to a few of us. I highly doubt they are just there for decoration. There are two leaves conveniently where Janobi's hands used to be, and there are no leaves anywhere else on Jaroda. Placing random leaves on a snake's upper back that are just there is rather weird, don't you think?

I think having the leaves there have to do with biology. Jaroda can amplify sunlight. Plants absorb sunlight through their leaves, Jaroda amplifies sunlight by attracting it via its leaves.
    I still think those leaves are hands. The only way to tell for sure at this point is, as you said, through the anime. Also, I don't think they are entirely useless. If Jaroda takes it's hands out it can place them on the ground and lean forward on them, as opposed to flailing about helplessly. Real life snakes aren't arched up 24-7 like Jaroda is, therefore making Jaroda look so open to get smacked around. The hands to me could give it extra security in fist-to-face combat from a very physical opponent. It takes a moment to lash that massive of a tail to your front to smack enemies away. Gravity is no fun in situations like that.
    I agree, but considering its high speed I don't think the massive tail is a hindrance. I mean, look at Sceptile and how huge its tail is.
    In my opinion the tail wouldn't even be swung around. More than likely Jaroda is a constrictor.
    Pokemon has logic too. [not really]
    aye aye to that.

The Red Chain

I agree, but considering its high speed I don't think the massive tail is a hindrance. I mean, look at Sceptile and how huge its tail is.
    In my opinion the tail wouldn't even be swung around. More than likely Jaroda is a constrictor.

That's the thing though.. Sceptile doesn't use it's tail to attack.
    Jaroda and it's little pre-evos are somewhat based off of snakes that don't constrict, like the Rough Grass Snake. I guess in a way Jaroda is big enough to constrict, and they learn Wrap and Coil by level up, so I suppose that's a good point. XD

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022

That's the thing though.. Sceptile doesn't use it's tail to attack.
    Jaroda and it's little pre-evos are somewhat based off of snakes that don't constrict, like the Rough Grass Snake. I guess in a way Jaroda is big enough to constrict, and they learn Wrap and Coil by level up, so I suppose that's a good point. XD
    Well, it would be interesting to see Jaroda use its taill to attack. I've never seen a snake do that before. :knockedou

I always thought that Jaroda was based off the python/ boa-species of snake, maybe emerald tree boa or python. I'm probably wrong.

Another thing, I think personality wise Jaroda is similar to European monarchs. I found on bulbapedia that Jaroda being able to amplify sunlight was possibly an allusion to Louis XIV a.k.a. the sun king who was also to an extent conceited (like Jaroda not taking most enemies seriously). And its face similar to the skin whitening done by monarchs back then.

The Red Chain

Spoiler:

Okay okay, I have been officially sold. Jaroda is awesome. :3
    Buuuut, it still won't make me evolve my little blue Taaja. It's not that cool. <3

Daikenki has been redeemed just a bit with it's Sugimori art, but I still don't like it. It's design just does not make sense when you think of how it used to stand on two legs, and look only like an otter with seashells. Now it's a giant sea lion and sea otter love child with a huge conch shell on it's head, and a quadruped. It could stand on two legs and make it work somewhat, but we'll only know if it can stand on it's hind legs through Best Wishes now. I'd assume it can since it has thumbs, and they can be used for gripping the pointed tip of it's conch shell to use Shell Blade sensibly.

But even then, I still won't like it. I hate stuff I can't understand. D:

Emboar looks alright. I think it would look better without that incredibly long mouth.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • The starters just got much more epic.

Spoiler:
    All of the starter just got a thousand times more awesome <3<3 <3 <3 <3
    LOVE!

Jarooda just looks so dominant in that image and the close up on her face makes her look so.... awesome to say the least.

The close up on the water starters final evo make me love him now. The close up on his face really shows how he is still at least a little related to Sea Otters. He has an epic furry face with a huge horn that convinces me he is a little like a Narwhal. His legs look so fat though, with no knee caps. Me no likey the legs.

Fire Starter... Not much more revealed there on the close ups of his body.

Jarooda is just an epic win. Best. Starter. Ever.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • The starters just got much more epic.

Spoiler:

OK, Jaroda got more awesome. Its face as Tsutarja conveys the "U Mad?" message, Janoby loses some of the smugness and seems to hint that it's lightening up, but Jaroda just stares at you, conveying the message "YOU EVEN DARE TO ENTERTAIN THE MERE NOTION OF CHALLENGING ME, PETTY FOE?" Epic. :rambo:

Daikenki...has partially been redeemed. I love how he bares his fangs. But the white mustache still seems very out of place. The shell on his head still looks awkward, like they took an oddly-shaped shell, put on spikes, and called it a day. :( I would have loved if there was a Sugimori artwork that used the color scheme of Daikenki's shiny variant, only incorporating the tan/yellow shell colors from Daikenki's normal coloration instead, not the shiny's pink shells.

Enbuoo/Emboar sort of got cooler. Everything below its fire beard looks cool. However, the fire beard looks like it was lazily drawn, and the mouth is way too long that Enbuoo conveys a terrible sense of goofiness instead of the menacing threat that its sprite seemed to portray. :(

The fire beard on this artwork of Enbuoo is more what I had in mind (drawn by Xous54 of DeviantArt). It looks a bit more defined, as do the black eyebrows and semi-spiked tail:

And LOL at this quote from Smogon pertaining to Enbuoo's usefulness/awesomeness in battle :cer_laugh::

Cristhianmlr said:
    Anyway, my Emboar have this moveset normally, and works very good:

Ability: Blaze.
    Nature: Serious (To use a little better Ankle Sweep).

EVs: At 252/ Sp. At. 252 / Speed: 6.

- Overheat.
    - Ankle Sweep.
    - Boiling Water.
    - Wild Bolt.

With a good Sp. At. and STAB, a very injured Emboar can activate Blaze and do nearly always a OHKO if the opponent aren't resistent.

Wild Bolt is for Water- and Flying- types. Ankle Sweep reduces de opponent Speed one Stage and give STAB. Boiling Water for Grounds and Rocks.

The Emboar moveset is simply Awesome. It can be an inpredectible PKMN, and a good reciving Switch-ins if you don't predict well.

Examples:
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]- Oh noes, Scizor can be killed by Emboar. Go, Gyarados! - Emboar used Wild Bolt, is Super effective! Gyarados fainted!
    - Oh noes, Scizor can be killed by Emboar. Go, Gliscor! - Emboar used Boiling Water, is Super effective!, Gliscor has been burned!, Gliscor fainted!
    - Oh noes, Scizor can be killed by Emboar. Go, Infernape! - Emboar used Earthquake, is Super effective! Infernape fainted!
    - Oh noes, Scizor can be killed by Emboar. Go, Aerodactyl! - Emboar used Stone Edge, is Super effective! Aerodactyl fainted![/S-HIGHLIGHT]

In all the cases, your opponent says "FFFFUUUU".

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back